Skip to content

Regarding Android

DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
Time was not on our side this day, it seems.

Android won't go live until after the holiday. We ran out of time to set things up for proper testing, and we want to make sure we do this right. That said, you can expect the first part of the year to be devoted to Android. Expect to see some real actual news and information when we get back into the office in January.

For now, I want to thank everyone for their continuing patience, and to wish you all a happy (and safe) holiday, as well as a delightful new year.

Cheers,
Dee

Comments

• amftronamftron Member Posts: 109
    Lol is anyone actually surprised by this ? Just give up already. The moment has long passed unless you plan on making this free for everyone who has purchased the game on a different platform.
  • matthileomatthileo Member Posts: 59
    Ugh. this is the same refrain we were hearing a year ago. why don't you guys back burner something else for a change?
  • Mystic1987Mystic1987 Member Posts: 26
    Ok good attempt guys. Let's reconvene Christmas 2014 for another hype, and the unavoidable let down.
    This right here illustrates the problem with the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Android development: iPad gets Hail Mary passes, Android just gets passed up.
  • Out2lunchOut2lunch Member Posts: 57
    edited December 2013
    I'm seriously not laughing any more... This is beyond a joke now...

I feel so screwed over now without the happy finish.

#android has 65% of the market of tablets and this is growing, why make the shrinking small market share holder the priority? That doesn't make sense...

Is it due to the fact that that the #android fans are keeping quiet? Well only a few of us now keep the faith by hopefully checking the forums daily for a hint\scrap of info.

After so much talk about transparency from you all, it lasted about as long as it took to hit the Post Comment button.

Even dev notes every week on what has been worked on for #android would help. We don't see that because nothing is being done. Only sucking up to #apple for a hail mary pass is getting done. I'm sick of it.
  • KubusKubus Member Posts: 15
    Way to go. I hope you won't break even on the Android version after all this bullshit we have to take from you. Count me out.
  • smartroadsmartroad Member Posts: 47
    Like some I had given up sometime ago that Android would happen. I have been popping on once a month or so just to see any change. Eventually I saw the call for beta testers and allowed a small candle to light, maybe the size of a small cake candle. However I was still waiting for the hammer to drop, after all, this seems to be the pattern for Android users, build up the hope and slap 'em back down.

The sad part for me is that even though we (Android users) are probably being laughed at by Overhaul at how gullible we are for any morsel of hope, if (and I stress the if) BG comes out on Android I will probably still buy it.
  • pandacakepandacake Member Posts: 39
    =[
  • BuffsterBuffster Member Posts: 1
    I may be a new member, but I've been keeping my eye on this site/forum for over a year now. I feel so screwed that I have decided not to buy any of your versions of BG anymore. I'll just play the original PC games...
  • Eck4343Eck4343 Member Posts: 38
    Oh Boo Hoo Hoo..... Whine all you want, you know you guys will still buy this the second it comes out.
  • IrianIrian Member Posts: 3
    Of course I will buy it. Just bought Baldur's Gate (I & II) from Gog, though, so chances that I'll buy it for PC a 2nd time are decreasing. Would have bought it for PC a long while ago if the android version had been out (because I want both version - but my priority is android)
  • Aron740Aron740 Member Posts: 153
    Devs, you had my absolute loyalty but this is bloody it. I'm not interested in the game anymore, have a nice holiday.

Excuse me while I go and cry in a corner because you broke my heart and my hope of playing bgee on my nexus 10
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    A few weeks extra means little in the grand scheme of things - appreciate the update.
    decado said:

A few weeks extra means little in the grand scheme of things - appreciate the update.

we're well past "a few weeks extra"
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Of course. Yet unless Beamdog managed to snag a Delorean with a working flux capacitor then it was never going to happen sooner than Xmas 2013, so at this point in time a few weeks past that date means little really.
  • decado said:

Of course. Yet unless Beamdog managed to snag a Delorean with a working flux capacitor then it was never going to happen sooner than Xmas 2013, so at this point in time a few weeks past that date means little really.

I don't think the anger here stems from the fact that a hint that they might release before this Christmas appeared, then fell by the wayside. The anger stems from over a year of waiting that has been defined by a lack of information and communication. What didn't help was a suddenly appearing thread advertising a beta test phase that was subsequently deleted (and, to my knowledge, no beta testing is currently happening). An even bigger insult was the prioritization of BG2:EE on other platforms when an entire platform that was promised for BG:EE was still absent.

Many of us fully expected BG:EE on Android to happen well before Christmas 2013. For instance, when a thread goes up asking for Android devices to prioritize, it suggests that devices are being tested. That happened eight months ago. The only news we have had on Android is... nothing. It's been "we're working on it" over and over and over again. This is why people are angry.
  • etotheoetotheo Member Posts: 61
    edited December 2013
    What a fucking joke. I hope Overhaul isn't ignorant enough to think the eventual release of this version is the true market share of Android. After all the pissing around and the relegation of BG:EE on Android for BGII:EE on every other platform I'm done. I've held off playing this for the Android release... not any longer my patient friends - I will be playing this game over the holidays but I can assure you that it will not be through a Beamdog or Steam purchase! That's where I'm at...
    Post edited by etotheo on
  • dethbringredethbringre Member Posts: 18
    My prediction: first part of next year they will announce a NWN:EE or Planescape:EE release for 2014 and thus shift all focus there and push BG back again. Be back next year bout this time for an update.
    NWN:EE on my nexus 10, I'll pay whatever price and completely forget about this BG fiasco.
    matthileo said:

NWN:EE on my nexus 10, I'll pay whatever price and completely forget about this BG fiasco.

That'll never happen. Android doesn't get anything.

matthileo said:

That'll never happen. Android doesn't get anything.
    Quiet you.

Haha
  • enneractenneract Member Posts: 187
    edited December 2013
    Ok, you guys seriously prioritize releasing BG2:EE on iPad before getting BG:EE out on Android?

This apple pandering is disgusting, especially given that Android has a significantly larger market share and iPad, and Android Market game *sales* (not microtransactions) are of a far greater volume.

If you had released on a decent schedule, (like, idk, a year ago?) I would have bought BG/2 for the 7th time, this time for android. Between the constant delays, complete and total lack of communication as to realistic timeframes (I delayed playing through for nearly a year before giving up waiting!), and now the slap in the face by falling all over yourselves to cater to the nazi hipsters... This time, maybe I'll pay a visit to a certain broad inlet of the sea where the land curves inward, inhabited by people who attack and rob ships at sea. I'm not sure yet.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    According to this study, Android sales on tablets just started to surpass Apple. So the Android user base for tablets is still far fewer than iPad's. Considering the game development started about two years ago (or about a year ago for BG2EE), the priority given to iPad is obvious from a business point of view.
    If you just consider overall Android / iThing sales, the shift occured earlier, so the markets sales comparison without splitting phones and tablets may not be sufficient to understand their decision.

I'm not in a hurry to buy an Android tablet and I'll wait until the requirements are published to make my decision. Now that tablets using Intel processors are sold by major manufacturors, I'm wondering if they will be compatible with software not written in Java, as is certainly the case for BGEE/BG2EE.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Isaya said:

I'm not in a hurry to buy an Android tablet

Just to put this into perspective, the very next day the "Want to test on Android" thread was made, I rushed out and bought a Nexus 7 - 2013 model.

I've been waiting more than a year to buy one, as having BG[2]:EE on something more portable than my laptop while I'm on a train or bus would be welcome. My reasoning for holding off buying one was because I have nothing else to use one for, having a brick sat in a drawer can be achieved much quicker and with no cost. Web browsing, Skype, etc., is done on either my laptop (or, to a much lesser extent, one of my five desktops. Usually just to download drivers or such).

The reservation (on the same day the thread was made) and purchase (day after) from the local retail outlet, Argos, was made without even knowing whether or not I would be accepted on the Android beta due to the limited numbers; being on the Windows beta does not automatically mean I'm on every beta.

In other words: that purchase of £199.99 was made blindly, without any foresight. In hindsight, I could have spent that money on something better and waited until something more concrete was announced about the Android version.

And I'm still not one bit bothered by the delay.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    edited December 2013
    I'm as disappointed as anyone, but some people here are just getting mad. What's the use in that? If you're really that upset, don't buy it when it's released.

To be honest, I might not get it when it is finally out and I was super excited about it before. It's just been such a long time, I've played the heck out of BG:EE already. If it were BG2:EE and we had cloud saves, I'd pick it up in a second.
  • kkadenkkaden Member Posts: 3
    My friends and fellow Android Gamers, I give to you... BG:EE:Forever!!!111!!one!

Maybe if we get in touch with 3drealms they can give Overhaul a hand on the development here.

All joking aside this is really annoying, the iHerd has been playing this game for over a year already. Unless we see a ridiculous turnover for the release of BGII:EE Android I think we'll see a lot of Android Gamers look elsewhere for their RPG fix regardless of any announcements that are made by Overhaul.

I would REALLY love to be playing this game on my 2012 Nexus 7, but my enthusiasm is seriously waning. With every other announcement on this version of the game saying they found another thing that will slow down development, and trying to placate us with 'iOS fixes will help towards the Android release' really isn't helping to keep the excitement alive.
  • Out2lunchOut2lunch Member Posts: 57
    edited December 2013
    Isaya said:

According to this study, Android sales on tablets just started to surpass Apple. So the Android user base for tablets is still far fewer than iPad's. Considering the game development started about two years ago (or about a year ago for BG2EE), the priority given to iPad is obvious from a business point of view.
    If you just consider overall Android / iThing sales, the shift occured earlier, so the markets sales comparison without splitting phones and tablets may not be sufficient to understand their decision.

I'm not in a hurry to buy an Android tablet and I'll wait until the requirements are published to make my decision. Now that tablets using Intel processors are sold by major manufacturors, I'm wondering if they will be compatible with software not written in Java, as is certainly the case for BGEE/BG2EE.

Hummm have a look at the following links ...

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/30/apples-share-of-tablet-market-drops-on-increased-android-tablet-sales/

http://blog.laptopmag.com/android-vs-apple-tablet-sales

http://phandroid.com/2013/07/29/tablet-sales-android-q2-2013/

http://readwrite.com/2013/08/06/how-the-ipad-stalled-and-android-took-over-the-tablet-market#awesm=~oqMmbuR1Ouxe3C

In a nut shell iPads have been a shrinking market over the last 12 months, and continuing to be a niche product for a small percentage of the population. Android continues to grow and dominate.

The android version of BG:EE has been in development for 14 months supposedly, plenty of time to actually see what's happening in the market.

According to Trent in may Android was the main focus of the company, again in January he also said it was at least a month away. Basically a lie each time he opens his mouth. Clearly the main focus was to release BG2:EE, on every platform apart from Linux, before android actually gets thought about.

This is why we are frothing about yet another delay and broken word. When all we see is the rush for the iheard to give them part 2 of a game we can't even play part 1. At the end of the day iheard have had the game for almost a year. Can't you see why we are a bit cross about this?
This discussion has been closed.