Skip to content

Why did Bioware forget about adding portraits to the game?

karl_maulderkarl_maulder Member Posts: 133
As the title. I've never understood why Bioware didn't add a couple of avatars that didn't already belong to a NPC. In BG 2 they did actually add a male orc picture. Still the other ones belong to either BG or BG 2 NPCs. Does anyone know why? Beamdog did however add 6 completely new ones which is nice.

Comments

• BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Because why pay an artist to generate MORE content when there is a perfectly viable portrait import function and thousands of pieces of fantasy art that will get cropped down and stuck in portrait packs?
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    I haven't been able to find any easy access BGEE sized portraits or portrait packs tho - I guess everyone assumes people can just resize their own
  • karl_maulderkarl_maulder Member Posts: 133
    That's a good argument for BG2:EE. However back in the days when BG 2 was released, it wasn't that easy finding good pictures to import, atleast for me.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    There is a dropbox with some good portraits that are in the BG2 / EE sizes... Though for copyright reasons I don't think I can directly link to it... But http://metareddit.com/r/baldursgate should be fine...
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    I don't understand why they didn't just commission the original BG1 artist to do portraits for the new NPCs while keeping the old Jaheira, Minsc, Imoen, Viconia & Edwin portraits. I just wish they all had the same graphic style to them.

Seemed like the time spent redoing those 5 NPCs with a new art style could have been spent on 5 portraits for completely new characters. Not to mention ensuring that there was a portrait for every gender and race.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Erinne said:

What I really don't understand is why the portraits added in BG:EE didn't carry over to BG2:EE...

From what I know of, it was because of them being DLC in BG1EE they had some issues transferring them to BG2EE...
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited December 2013
    This issue of the portraits is one that really got me pissed off. From all the forbidden changes on the old content, portraits weren't on the list. sometimes an entire gameplay, class and companions options are based on the portrait we choose.

"we can get potraits by importing them from everywere and adapting them to the size in the game..."

Serious, why i'm paying for the game then?

"because of xxx bug fixes, yyy strings corrections..."

The old BG and BG2 worked pretty nice with mods and upgrades, if i have to mod my portraits, i can pretty much mod anything else so no point in have BG and BG2 enhanced editions, if i don't want or don't know how to mod, which is one of the points in buy the enhanced editions, then the lack of portraits is a damn failure in the project.

BG and BG2 EE aren't an expensive game, but neither they're cheap. whomever spend $25, can also spend $30 or $35 in the game, there's no reason for this lack of investment in one of the aspects of the game that prizes most for the roleplay.

many will disagree with me, some will even flame me maybe, but this is my opinion in this matter, plain and simple my opinion.

Obs: For me, every non joinable NPC should have a portrait also.
    Having an opinion does not preclude it being wrong. I could say my opinion is the sky is Teal and 2+2=5, but that doesn't make those statements infallible. Preferences are infallible, but also largely inconsequential unless related to an external statement, at which point the preference becomes a value judgement that can be weighed and rebutted like any other argument.

The difference between portraits and other mods is that instructions are included as to how to size them, name them and where to dump the files, where as most mods involves changes to scripts, text, and a whole slew of other variables.

"if I have to get my own portraits, I may as well install the Imoen Romance mod" is a slippery slope argument that makes no sense. Custom portraits are a feature that was present back in 1998 and doesn't involve changing any game files.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Mordeus said:

I don't understand why they didn't just commission the original BG1 artist to do portraits for the new NPCs while keeping the old Jaheira, Minsc, Imoen, Viconia & Edwin portraits. I just wish they all had the same graphic style to them.

Seemed like the time spent redoing those 5 NPCs with a new art style could have been spent on 5 portraits for completely new characters. Not to mention ensuring that there was a portrait for every gender and race.

IIRC, it is because the original artist passed away between BG and SoA.

@kamuizin If that is how you feel, then play the old game. But adding portraits isn't modding, it's a customization. And the argument can go back to why pay someone to commission art work when the player base can, and usually does, obtain custom artwork from the internet for free, when resources can be better prioritized.

As for the OP, they have, iirc, 2 male portraits and 2 female portraits that aren't assigned an NPC. And if you play the game for the first time, you really don't know who's portrait's is whose. My first playthrough Monty was assigned the Plate mail male portrait because I choose his for my character.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    Wanderon said:

I haven't been able to find any easy access BGEE sized portraits or portrait packs tho - I guess everyone assumes people can just resize their own

i have like 2 GB it is a matter of search
  • KolonKuKolonKu Member Posts: 87
    deltago said:

No, the original artist, Mike Sass, is still alive and kicking.
  • scorpiovascorpiova Member Posts: 87
    Guys... it takes a minute to resize pics to the appropriate portrait sizes for bg and bg2. It's is extremely easy and can be done in the basic paint program that comes with every computer.

Google is also your friend... there are dozens of portrait packs out there... I use Artastrophe's pack from deviant art.
    http://artastrophe.deviantart.com/art/BG-Portrait-Package-145216289

She has several different packs on there.

If you want to resize your own just find the pic, open it in paint, click resize, click the pixel circle, and un-check maintain aspect ratio, then adjust the size (length and width) to the required size.

Repeat this for each of the 3 sizes (you might only need 2 sizes now can't remember) and save each size as bitmaps. (In the titles include L, M, and S for each size, ie: WarriorL, WarriorM, and WarriorS.)(Large/Medium/Small)

In just a minute or two you have a portrait ready to go.
    edited December 2013
    Bigfish said:

Having an opinion does not preclude it being wrong. I could say my opinion is the sky is Teal and 2+2=5, but that doesn't make those statements infallible. Preferences are infallible, but also largely inconsequential unless related to an external statement, at which point the preference becomes a value judgement that can be weighed and rebutted like any other argument.

The difference between portraits and other mods is that instructions are included as to how to size them, name them and where to dump the files, where as most mods involves changes to scripts, text, and a whole slew of other variables.

"if I have to get my own portraits, I may as well install the Imoen Romance mod" is a slippery slope argument that makes no sense. Custom portraits are a feature that was present back in 1998 and doesn't involve changing any game files.

So did you get elected as an internet judge to reject my opinion as wrong? which are your qualifications to evaluate my opinion? Wait, i answer this for you: None.

Remembering only, i gave my opinion, i told that this lack of portraits get ME pissed off. I didn't attack the competence of the devs neither the quality of the work in general, i state that FOR ME in MY gameplay this is an problem.

Bigfish said:

"The difference between portraits and other mods is that instructions are included as to how to size them, name them and where to dump the files, where as most mods involves changes to scripts, text, and a whole slew of other variables."

So mods now doesn't have "read me" files? Wow, what were you talking about moments ago? About 2+2=5?

To perfect introduce portraits on the game the files need to be worked, it isn't like "hey, nice photo, gonna use in BG", so yes, there's an amount of trouble in prepare files to become portraits, othewise we have to use "PORTRAIT MODS", so yes, a portrait list made by other players can be as well seen as mods.

Try to think before post @Bigfish, will avoid putting you in this embarrassing situation that you are now. Repeating, I didn't made any attack on the devs or on anyone neither expose my comments as truth, but as my opinions.

deltago said:

Mordeus said:

@kamuizin If that is how you feel, then play the old game. But adding portraits isn't modding, it's a customization. And the argument can go back to why pay someone to commission art work when the player base can, and usually does, obtain custom artwork from the internet for free, when resources can be better prioritized.

As for the OP, they have, iirc, 2 male portraits and 2 female portraits that aren't assigned an NPC. And if you play the game for the first time, you really don't know who's portrait's is whose. My first playthrough Monty was assigned the Plate mail male portrait because I choose his for my character.
    I already paid for the new game, why would i play the old now? Not for me but lemme ask in general to people avoid use the "don't like leave the place" argument, it normally leads to flame battles.

this one, the argument of "there are more important work to give preference", i have heard before, the problem in this, is that almost anything will always have something more important to be done. In the end nothing is done based on this argument.
    Good to see you are incapable of understanding a very basic concept. Attaching "that's just my opinion" isn't a pre-emptive release of accountability for your statements or a gaurantee that no one can argue against them.

You made an inaccurate comparison between custom portraits and mods, and I called you on it. Deal with it.
    edited December 2013
    Bigfish said:

Good to see you are incapable of understanding a very basic concept. Attaching "that's just my opinion" isn't a pre-emptive release of accountability for your statements or a gaurantee that no one can argue against them.

You made an inaccurate comparison between custom portraits and mods, and I called you on it. Deal with it.

Ok dude, whatever, be happy in your little world.

Aye where's ma Dwarf women-folk??!! I was always forced to endure the company of pansy elves or weakling human women if I am to have any women folk at all in my party! Tis not right!

With beard, a female dwarf without an beard isn't an female dwarf!!
  • Durlag_ThunderaxeDurlag_Thunderaxe Member Posts: 71
    edited December 2013
    kamuizin said:

With beard, a female dwarf without an beard isn't an female dwarf!!

Aye, that goes without sayin, the baldness of human/elf women-folk's faces always creeped me out... Although... Mazzy's sure is a cute for a woman without an adequate beard.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited December 2013
    Bioware made some horrible art decisions for the game, both with the sprites and portraits. It's just something they do; look at dragon age 2 elves.

I don't care about portraits anymore, as I use artosphrophes portrait pack and it is simply so awesome it solves all my portrait headaches.
  • CandleBesideCandleBeside Member Posts: 38
    I also think that it would be great if all NPCs, also nonplayable, got their own portraits in bgee, but thats rather impossible. Imagine how many you would need, and how long an artist would work for that.
    Still, for some important characters there could have been negotians with some artists on the internet, that would just be happy, if their art was used in one of the best games ever made.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited December 2013
    I'd be happy enough if all the original BG1 & BG2 portraits and voice sets as well as those included in the Enhanced Editions were available as default in both EE games. As it is, I don't think you can select BG1 portraits in BG2:EE so there are actually fewer default options than originally!

As it is you can do it yourself but it involves a fair bit of copy-pasting and a bit of game knowledge. Yup, I'm lazy and try to avoid third party mods, is there a problem with that?

*edit* @karl_maulder - it might be worth changing "Bioware" to "Beamdog" in the thread title to avoid confusion.
    Post edited by Corvino on
    kamuizin said:

I already paid for the new game, why would i play the old now? Not for me but lemme ask in general to people avoid use the "don't like leave the place" argument, it normally leads to flame battles.

this one, the argument of "there are more important work to give preference", i have heard before, the problem in this, is that almost anything will always have something more important to be done. In the end nothing is done based on this argument.

when someone says, "if i have to mod my portraits, i can pretty much mod anything else so no point in have BG and BG2 enhanced editions" I have to question on what type of game they were looking at when purchasing the EE. If playing with mods is better for them, then yes, I always suggest to stop harping for what could of been and go back to what they enjoyed and the next time they want to purchase a game, do a little research on what is being offered if that is how they feel.

When I say prioritize, I mean they need to budget the art assets that need to be created and commission artist to do it. With the release of the game, they have to look at what needed to done (New Areas, new NPC portraits, NPC teaser portraits, BP areas, new cut scenes, new logo (minor but needed)) and commission artists accordingly. Everything I listed is more important than selectable portraits, so they need to be produced and paid for first before selectable portraits get commissioned and taken from the budget.

As for portraits, there are 8 male and 6 female new selectable portraits released with BG1 and 3 and 3 for BG2. I personally found the quantity BG2 low, but the 14 for BG:EE was a decent amount IMO.

Also, I prefer quality over quantity. ToEE had 84 portraits all together (this is a modded version I have so i don't know how many are actually canon portraits), but very few quality ones that I am always selecting the same ones when ever I create characters. I'd prefer the 6 portraits I got with BG2:EE then the 84 with ToEE.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I've just made a feature request for all BG1, BG2, BG1:EE and BG2:EE portraits and voicesets to be available as default in both EE games on Windows versions (to avoid DLC issues).
    deltago said:

kamuizin said:

when someone says, "if i have to mod my portraits, i can pretty much mod anything else so no point in have BG and BG2 enhanced editions" I have to question on what type of game they were looking at when purchasing the EE. If playing with mods is better for them, then yes, I always suggest to stop harping for what could of been and go back to what they enjoyed and the next time they want to purchase a game, do a little research on what is being offered if that is how they feel.

When I say prioritize, I mean they need to budget the art assets that need to be created and commission artist to do it. With the release of the game, they have to look at what needed to done (New Areas, new NPC portraits, NPC teaser portraits, BP areas, new cut scenes, new logo (minor but needed)) and commission artists accordingly. Everything I listed is more important than selectable portraits, so they need to be produced and paid for first before selectable portraits get commissioned and taken from the budget.

As for portraits, there are 8 male and 6 female new selectable portraits released with BG1 and 3 and 3 for BG2. I personally found the quantity BG2 low, but the 14 for BG:EE was a decent amount IMO.

Also, I prefer quality over quantity. ToEE had 84 portraits all together (this is a modded version I have so i don't know how many are actually canon portraits), but very few quality ones that I am always selecting the same ones when ever I create characters. I'd prefer the 6 portraits I got with BG2:EE then the 84 with ToEE.
    But can i ask why you say? Isn't that the role of the devs to say which is priority and which is not? If nothing is been in project atm, can't we say that portraits are a valid request?

Now as an personal opinion... again, i would say that i prefer quality AND quantity. I don't complain about price neither i'm attacking anyone, i just elect an valid criticize, the absend of portraits.
    edited December 2013
    kamuizin said:

But can i ask why you say? Isn't that the role of the devs to say which is priority and which is not? If nothing is been in project atm, can't we say that portraits are a valid request?

Now as an personal opinion... again, i would say that i prefer quality AND quantity. I don't complain about price neither i'm attacking anyone, i just elect an valid criticize, the absend of portraits.

Ask for portraits now? yes of course, you can ask and make a feature request to get some high quality portraits done now for the game. Maybe recommission Jason Manley to do another pack (this time with dwarven females with beards) and either offer it for free or as a small priced DLC. Figuring the iPad portrait dlc cost $1.99, I would throw a toonie to them for another 10-15 portraits.

But just because there is nothing announced as upcoming, doesn't mean the dev team isn't working on something new, with new priorities in assessing what artist actually need to work on.

And I think everyone agrees with you that they would prefer both quality and quantity if the prices stayed the same. However, adding 10% more to the cost of the game for a handful of portraits could hurt sales and is something that the company has to juggle with when considering how much they want to charge and how much they can add for that price.

I agree it is a valid criticism on how many new portraits are offered, one I share with you on BG2:EE. But as also stated, there are many portrait packs available on the net that you can dled for free if you want more.
    edited December 2013
    I have to agree that imput the extra price in the game sales for new portraits could hurt the initial sales.

But an DLC for portraits would be something interesting at least and probally would not take too much of the devs time, cos the work itself would come from hired artists to make the attempt, not from the devs to code or write strings. It would be an outsourced artistic service that woudn't hinder the progression of whatever the devs are doing atm.

The problem here is probally ATARI iron hand over this project, as i have my doubts the devs are 100% free to follow any project they want. An kickstart project for this kind of thing would be ideal, specially inside an long term involved community as Baldur's Gate fans.

Making an kickstart project, the extra portraits could be based on the money flux that enter, give the DLC without extra charges to whomever donated more than $ x to the project. Profit over the sales of the DLC with people that did not contributed to the project.

IF ATARI hinder the project even with an viable kickstart in course, lauch the portrait mod as an update inside the game, i'm not greedy neither gonna feel cheated for many enjoy the contribution of few, after all i got fun with free mods for more than a decade.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    Why is there even an argument about this? Does anyone actually not want more portraits?
    edited December 2013
    Belanos said:

kamuizin said:

Serious, why i'm paying for the game then?

If you're only buying a game because of portraits, then you have an odd sense of priorities.

Dude, this subject is already done for, have some sense of momentum plz, otherwise this thread will become a constant revival of criticizes on past posts. Not even saying this for me, but this is an perfect recipe to throw the thread off-topic.
  • scorpiovascorpiova Member Posts: 87

Bioware made some horrible art decisions for the game, both with the sprites and portraits. It's just something they do; look at dragon age 2 elves.

I don't care about portraits anymore, as I use artosphrophes portrait pack and it is simply so awesome it solves all my portrait headaches.

Me too! Such beautiful art work, the artist (she?) has covered every important character/npc in the game.