Skip to content

Convince me to get this!

Hey, I received an IPad Mini for Xmas and I'm in need of some good RPG adventures. After some research it seems like BG offers the most hours (including great replayability), but I've never touched the D&D stuff before so that's a little intimidating. Is the learning curve for noobz reasonable or is this more suited for seasoned players only? I'm aware of the new big update which arrived recently too so did that pan out well?

Feel free to recommend any other IOS RPGs that come close to the scale of BG too!
Illustair

Comments

• iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Buy it and see for yourself.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    It's on sale now, so a good time to buy it.
    It's a great game that does have a bit of a learning curve. However any problems you have as a new player can easily be solved by asking on this forum.
    If your looking for a long involved rpg with an interesting plot, characters and strategic battles you've come to the right place.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    It will increase your coolness factor by 7 points and can join the exclusive 'I've completed BG' club (once of course you have submitted proof of completion to the relevant authorities).

What more could you want?
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Also, your penis wil become longer by an inch.
    davemoIllustair
  • steve2603steve2603 Member Posts: 11
    Cool points, bigger penis, exclusive club, I'm in!
    Well, first problem encountered, in the turorial scarily enough. When Imoan is to pick the lock I do it, but then it just keeps saying I've not done it. Are there other locks or what? Pretty annoying.
    edited December 2013
    I never play the tutorial, so can't really help with that one. When you try to pick the lock do you suceed or fail?

I'd also post for answers in general discussion thread instead of this one, that thread gets far more views.
    Post edited by Delvarian on
    Well, it makes a noise resembling an unlocking and it shows XP gained. I think it might be because l went out of the app and it might have messed it up or something. I guess I'll just do the whole thing over.

And sorry! Will do, noob to the forum and all that.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited December 2013
    Just remember though that BG2 is arguably far more superior than BG1 in terms of well, everything. If the silent companions and openness of the world don't appeal to you much, know that BG2 offers more dialogue-heavy content non-playable or companions alike, and although more linear storywise, it has the far better story - the well-played villain definitely helps a lot.

To sum up, hope you'd enjoy BG1, but in case you don't BG2 is something to look forward to.

EDIT: I still personally find BG1 to be a good game. I'm not implying that it's a bad game, no not at all. Just a matter of preference, and regardless, it is still a treat.

Btw, you can edit the thread and move it yourself to General Discussion if you like.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited December 2013
    Also, @lllustair, bg2:ee is coming for the iPad very soon. I know there been saying that but it is been submitted to the App Store, and will show up as soon as it un-freezes and approval and all that rot.
    And yes, bg for the iPad is completely worth it. If you want to learn to play then some of the how to play threads around here are probably more helpful than the tutorial.
    Right now, thac0 and AC wise, all you need to know is lower is better. For your first character, I would recommend a sturdy fighter-type, so you don't have to deal with how much the squishy mages die. Once you get to a decent level, however, mages become the strongest class.
    Illustair
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    You don't have to know DnD or have played PnP beforehand to appreciate the game; in my case, BG is the one that introduced me to DnD. The learning curve of BG is definitely steeper than most, yes, but that's the beauty of it. Also, be warned that you would eventually become a chronic restarter, an illness of some sort. Why? Oh, you'd find out sooner or later.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    If you like Baldur's Gate I also recommend checking out the Spiderweb Software games on the App Store. I personally liked Avernum:Escape from the Pit the best, but all three on there are really fun...and super long and involved.
    Thanks for the responses people. I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm at the mines but I'm going back out to stock up on potions and does anyone know where I can get healing spells? One of my characters had it but it's gone now and I think it was just an ability inherent with the character's class but I dunno how to get it back.
    Thanks for the responses people. I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm at the mines but I'm going back out to stock up on potions and does anyone know where I can get healing spells? One of my characters had it but it's gone now and I think it was just an ability inherent with the character's class but I dunno how to get it back.
    If you rest your special ability will come back like a spell. Jahiera has healing spells as well. (As does any cleric or Druid.)
    Hmm, I've rested and I still can't get access to Jahiera's spells.
    @steve2603, you still have to memorize cleric spells. The known spells show up automatically, but you still have to pick which ones to memorize.
    I've done this too. Maybe I'm not doing the memorising process correctly? I go to the priest scroll > select the curing spells so they are in the 'memorised' box > rest?
    That sounds right. A screenshot would help, maybe. Then click the moon and star button to access them, not the four pointed special ability star.
    Yeah, when I tap the moon/stars icon nothing happens. :(
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    edited December 2013
    Uhm... It never happened to me.
    After you rest, try to open the cleric spell book of jaheira. You should see the difference between a memorized (and castable) spell and a not memorized spell. Can you see the difference?
    Anyway if you click the moon/stars icon of jaheira, do you see any spell available?
    Another question, was your rest interrupted by monsters?
    If you still have problems follow these instruction and see what happens.
    1) Go to a tavern.
    2) Open the cleric spell book of jaheira.
    3) go to first level spells
    4) delete all memorized spells (clicking on the icons on the bottom panel)
    5) select cure light wound spell few times to fill all the now empty slots.
    6) talk to the tavern keeper and rest there.
    7) click on the moon/star icon of jaheira and you should see the cure light wound icon. Try to cast it to any party member.

It must work!!!!
    Yeah it has to be something simple that your doing wrong, having played the game for years I still discover new things.