Skip to content

Interesting Dual Class Combinations

2»

Comments

• GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Swashbuckler/Cleric, Berserker/Druid, Beast Master/Cleric, Wizard Slayer/Thief; these are all viable yet strange dual-classes to make, each with their own perks. And in every scenario I listed I'd say the multi-class is better. I used to be a big fan of dual-classing but the more I played the game the more I enjoyed multi-classing better, though there are certain combos that will never grow old, like Kensai/Mage.
  • comebackhomecomebackhome Member Posts: 254

Swashbuckler/Cleric, Berserker/Druid, Beast Master/Cleric, Wizard Slayer/Thief; these are all viable yet strange dual-classes to make, each with their own perks. And in every scenario I listed I'd say the multi-class is better. I used to be a big fan of dual-classing but the more I played the game the more I enjoyed multi-classing better, though there are certain combos that will never grow old, like Kensai/Mage.

Care to list some of the perks/advantages of these?

Since it sounds like you have had a degree of experience using them.
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    Bard/Fighter or Bountyhunter/cleric not sure if its possible though,would love to try one of these for sure.
  • jankieljankiel Member Posts: 127
    Wizard slayer -> mage

Looks terribad. Might as well give it a try.
  • XerxesVXerxesV Member Posts: 187
    emjay said:

I always wanted to play a halfling with arcane spellcasting.

Willow!
  • LarkusLarkus Member Posts: 54
    edited December 2013
    kryptix said:

Anyone know if dwarven defender assassin would be pnp legal? Or maybe berserker assassin?

For extra fun, be a gnome so you can feel legit as an Illusionist/Assassin

I don't know whether they would be PnP legal, but as far as I know, more than one kit per character is not supported by the game engine.

Bard/Fighter or Bountyhunter/cleric not sure if its possible though,would love to try one of these for sure.

I fear you are out of luck regarding Bard/Fighter. The Bard class can't be combined with any other class in BG. Bountyhunter/Cleric should be possible via EEKeeper, at least it was possible via ShadowKeeper.
    Post edited by Larkus on

Care to list some of the perks/advantages of these?

Since it sounds like you have had a degree of experience using them.
    -Swashbuckler/Cleric can specialize in any weapon a thief can use, but when dual'd to a cleric it has to be a weapon a cleric can use too, so you can specialize in clubs and quarterstaves but only be proficient in any other weapon a cleric can use. Besides the swashbuckler perks, I'd say this is a pretty bland build. Cleric/Thief multi-classes are way more advantageous due to being able to benefit from cleric-buffed backstabs, not to mention continuously growing thief skills and HLA's from both classes. This makes for an interesting support cleric though since you can dual over when you put 100 points into whatever thieving skill(s) you want and just use the perks of being a cleric, kinda like a cleric version of Imoen.

-Berserker/Druid is an odd yet effective combo that allows your druid to basically be a fighter with immunities. Take Grand Mastery in Quarterstaves, go Two Handed Style for other pips, and use Rage and let 'em have it. You can wear plate mail with this combo, and you essentially get a lot of immunities thanks to the berserker's rage, on top of spells like Iron Skin and insect plague. Only real downside is no Fighter HLAs, which means that a character like Jaheira will have more crazy end-game combos, but Rage makes up for it, and you can be like a caster who can go into the fray when needed, kinda like a fighter/mage.

-Wizard Slayer/Thief; Wizard Slayers are pretty bad, because they get a lot of prohibited equipment for rather mediocre benefits. However they still can get grand mastery and still help benefit a Thief's bland thac0 because of it. On top of it all, once you get to epic levels, you can get the HLA "Use Any Item" which means that the Wizard Slayer's greatest weakness is null and void, and you can use any equipment you want on the character. So why is this still kind of a bland build? Because Kensai/Thieves are better. Berserker/Thieves are better. Hell, regular Fighter/Thief duals are better.
  • MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143
    Larkus said:

kryptix said:

Anyone know if dwarven defender assassin would be pnp legal? Or maybe berserker assassin?

For extra fun, be a gnome so you can feel legit as an Illusionist/Assassin

I don't know whether they would be PnP legal, but as far as I know, more than one kit per character is not supported by the game engine.

I fear you are out of luck regarding Bard/Fighter. The Bard class can't be combined with any other class in BG. Bountyhunter/Cleric should be possible via EEKeeper, at least it was possible via ShadowKeeper.
    Actually you can multiclass Kensai/Illusionnist if you play a gnome or any kit multi with gnome illusionnist.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Atm i'm playing an dual classed shadowdancer (13) / Fighter. Made her ranged focused mostly, shadowstep give me time to position in the battlefield, and if any enemy approach her, just get invisible and start hitting backstabs. Interessting atm.

In the same game i CLUAConsoled books of permanent increase skill to simulate the ones we find in BG:EE, 1 for each skill plus +2 for wisdom making a total of 3 books of wisdom (Durlag's tower, Temple of Umbrelle and catacombs in candlekeep).

I gave the 3 to Vaylgar in my game and made a dual class stalker (13) / Cleric with him, the stalker class is inactive for the moment yet, but when i reach cleric level 14 i will see if it's a good combo or not.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    interesting

thief/cleric
    mage/cleric

really hardcore
    assasin -> mage
    assasin -> fighter
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    kamuizin said:

Atm i'm playing an dual classed shadowdancer (13) / Fighter. Made her ranged focused mostly, shadowstep give me time to position in the battlefield, and if any enemy approach her, just get invisible and start hitting backstabs. Interessting atm.

In the same game i CLUAConsoled books of permanent increase skill to simulate the ones we find in BG:EE, 1 for each skill plus +2 for wisdom making a total of 3 books of wisdom (Durlag's tower, Temple of Umbrelle and catacombs in candlekeep).

I gave the 3 to Vaylgar in my game and made a dual class stalker (13) / Cleric with him, the stalker class is inactive for the moment yet, but when i reach cleric level 14 i will see if it's a good combo or not.

The Valygar dual is only suboptimal because his weapon pips are in weapons I don't think he can use after the dual so it will take you a while to get flail/hammer high enough to be good...
    kryptix said:

kamuizin said:

The Valygar dual is only suboptimal because his weapon pips are in weapons I don't think he can use after the dual so it will take you a while to get flail/hammer high enough to be good...
    I assume that i CLUAConsoled Vaylgar to relocate all his weapon proficiences... yes a bit cheese of my part XD! Not that it's needed, after all ranger/cleric can only specialize in the weapons anyway, in the end will be left more proficience points than i need.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I'd love to try a Barbarian-Sorcerer. Double wild, baby!

I'd love to try a Barbarian-Sorcerer. Double wild, baby!

Would be very cool, specially if we could make an dual class to kits, a dual Barbarian/Dragon Disciple would be the ultimate tank of the game!
    Monk/shapeshifter with the monk attack bonus progression would be lethal,but thats just dreams:P

Monk/shapeshifter with the monk attack bonus progression would be lethal,but thats just dreams:P

Monk/Rogue would be better. Unarmed backstabs!

Do u need EEkepper to do this awesome combo?
  • MitchellMitchell Member Posts: 28

Do u need EEkepper to do this awesome combo?
    Unfortunately that's not a possible combo with the current engine. You cannot multi or dual class a monk at all, not even with EEkeeper. The best you could hope for would be for someone to make a thief kit that simulates a monk/thief multi-class.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    A monk/sorcerer dual would be cool too. It sounds weird, but after watching Frozen (great movie btw) I can see how it would work. Gorion puts Charname through strict monk training to calm his mind and suppress the dark thoughts of his father... but eventually he breaks and unleashes the power he's been struggling to control.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited December 2013
    Dwarf Barbarian Thief multi-class is a class I've been having more and more fun with. Highly recommend it for a very tanky character. Berserker > Thief might be more effective though, but I've never tried Barb so it feels different.

My backstory is Reevor took chaname under his wing and taught Dwarven history, smithing, and fighting, and made him clear the warehouse of giant rats for 20 years, as well as stock and move stuff to toughen him up. The years of fighting the mythic rodents, which repopulate exceedingly fast, has strengthened CHARNAME to the heroic proportions of a barbarian.
    Post edited by ReadingRambo on
    Noticed a while ago that some dual class combos are having problems in reach high level skills.

My Shadow Dancer (13) / Fighter (18 atm) has already a sum of ~3.300.000 and didn't get access to any HLA yet. Same to My vaylgar NPC, i used 3 books of wisdom on him and dualed class him to a ranger (13) / Cleric (17 atm), he has a sum of XP of ~3.500.000 atm and still didn't get any HLA.

Need to confirm if this is a bug (so i can open a proper thread for this bug) or not.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Kamuizin

I'd say to check again once you hit their respective class caps where you'd otherwise gain HLA abilities. I believe Fighter is 20 and Cleric is 22.
    In the old game, the sum of XP that reach + than 2.950.000 was the eligible point to make HLAs avaliable, i don't know if this is an change in BG2:EE, that now need the class xp to reach 2.950.000 (except for multi-class, my Jaheira already got HLAs when each of her classes reach 1.500.000 XP) or a bug.

Imoen level up will clarify this for me soon.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Oh I remember that was how it worked. I'm just wondering if maybe its based on the maximum SoA level of their main class at this point (which would sorta make sense).

My fighter/cleric is glad to hear its working for Multi-classes though ^^