Skip to content

2»

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited December 2013
    The Boo character file shows that he is actually stronger than Imoen. Pretty much the pound for pound boxing champion of the realms, if you ask me.

He also has a higher Charisma, Intelligence and Wisdom than Minsc. Now you know who runs the show
    [Deleted User]
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    @shin dinosaurs big as &$@? Strong as $&@? Gravity has no effect on animal size it's like the Cold War with ussr and USA making nukes the pray gets bigger the preditors do to until everything is huge
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @Rajick They're strong because they're big, but pound for pound they tend to be weaker as a greater and greater percentage of their strength is required just to keep themselves upright. If the largest dinosaurs got a bit bigger than they were they'd be collapsing under their own weight.
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    @shin sauropods largest dinosaurs to ever exist didnt collaps over its own waight. In theory you can ave a creature as large as a mountain it just makes no sence to be that big as no preditor will specialize specifically to kill that one animal when there are so many smaller ones around
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I love how we've gone from halflings and gnomes to dinosaurs.
    booinyoureyes[Deleted User]FredjoReadingRambo
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    That is one sexy, shoeless god of war.
    booinyoureyes
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    edited December 2013
    The largest animal to have ever lived on this planet is the blue whale, you can see a good comparison on this scale

The huge dino is like an XXL lunch menu for the whale

jackjack[Deleted User]
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315

jackjack said:

the next logical step can only be

This reminds me of Trogdor the burninator on youtube:)
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315

jackjack said:

the next logical step can only be

This reminds me of Trogdor the burninator on youtube:)
    Fredjobooinyoureyes
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @Rajick -
    Rajick said:

@shin sauropods largest dinosaurs to ever exist didnt collaps over its own waight. In theory you can ave a creature as large as a mountain it just makes no sence to be that big as no preditor will specialize specifically to kill that one animal when there are so many smaller ones around

There's definitely a limit to how big animals can be, simply because of the very things @shin brought up. Read this, the portion about biomechanics in particular. So no, while an animal "ad big as a mountain" could perhaps exist in theory, it would be and work nothing like any other animal that has ever existed on Earth.
    ShinLosgorn
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Rajick said:

Like @scriver says, this isn't the case. Extremely large animals (like whales) are generally found in the water as that helps them support their weight. They also have rounded, streamlined forms with no thin load-bearing appendages like legs.

The reason mountains can be as large as they are is that they generally form with bases much larger than tips (unlike land-living creatures) and that as non-living entities they consist entirely of rock (being the material with the load-bearing capacity). Mountains don't have to worry about having a lot of heavy but non-supportive material such as muscle and fat attached to it that weigh more than the rock itself, and all the while still be capable of moving around and upholding complex biological functions (i.e. resembling a living creature rather than a mountain of bone). If they did, they would have to be smaller and formed very differently.
    scriver
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Yeah, gnomes really are amazing, halflings... not so much.

Wait, am I the only one who saw the title to this thread and thought the question was in terms of game balance?
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Pantalion said:

Yeah, gnomes really are amazing, halflings... not so much.

Wait, am I the only one who saw the title to this thread and thought the question was in terms of game balance?

Nope (not the only one) ... I would concur that gnomes rule and halflings are ok as far as that goes...