Skip to content

Imoen's big fat round face

Comments

• eainterplayeainterplay Member Posts: 55
    As far as BG1vBG2 potraits, all returning characters except for Imoen's are better to me. Viconia's picture is WAY better, Jaheria is vastly improved, Minsc is slightly better, and Edwin is about a push (ok now that I think about it his BG1 potrait is slightly better). Imoen's BG2 looks kind of silly to me.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861

That portrait of Skie is off. Take a look at the positioning of the arm. She must be a contortionist...or have very short forearms.

Maybe it's not her arm? Perhaps she just hasn't noticed Tiax trying to steal her necklace.

• Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    IMO Jaheira is HOT in BGI, my perfect woman. Always replace her with that Elf waif thing in BGII. ;)
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Drugar said:

Trent Oster's Twitter:
    "Jason's portraits are for the player character. We won't mess with the originals. Mike did great work on BG"

So no, they will not be changed. The discussion in this thread is why.

You heard that guys! Trent is awesome! Mike is awesome! 'Nuff said! =D

I can't understand what's wrong with the BG1 portraits. They're state-of-the-art to me. They look realistic and fit the game perfectly, while most BG2 ones almost look cartoonish to me (Edwin's two portraits are the best example I can think of). Good thing I can always change them back with ShadowKeeper. =P

(BTW, what about an EnhancedKeeper or something?)

And yes, FYI, my favorite portrait is BG1 Imoen's. Here... now I said it. Dare not touching it, you mutton-mongerin' riff-raffs! She looks exactly what she is supposed to be: cute, carefree, smart and cunning. A perfect match for a loveable rogue. Her BG2 portrait is too different for me, and... OK, she does look tortured alright, like she's expected to be in SoA, but I can't see a clue of her thief/mage class. What's left of the girl my PC grew up with? Luckily, she resumes her earlier personality in ToB.

I can understand some people like it and some people don't, and that's normal I guess. But removing it? No way!
    I agree with @g314 He/she took the words out of my mouth, so to speak. I think BG 2 Imoen looks hideous. Her whole head seems a bit 'off' to me. Too few curves and bad lighting so you can't see the details of her face. Also, what's with the pink hair? It always seemed odd to me. Nah, I prefer Imoen's BG 1 portrait.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    @Drugar and @Keith_On_A_Cloud
    I will be highly disappointed if there is no "EnhancedKeeper" available shortly after or at launch time. I understand there are many Modders working with the Devs so it's not like no one will see the need for or demand for it.
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201

As I mentioned today already, the BG1 avatars look realistic because they are modeled after real people, while the BG2 ones are completely drawn I believe.

Really? If this is true, this means...

Oh boy, this must be one of these moments when you suddenly realize that after FOURTEEN years you had a cru-- *AHEM*... I mean... ah... Never mind. Please... um... carry on...

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

That portrait of Skie is off. Take a look at the positioning of the arm. She must be a contortionist...or have very short forearms.

Eh? I just did the same pose in the mirror and it looks fine to me.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    I prefer to keep the BG1 portraits as is. I like how the portraits change from BG1 to BG2, because It gives me the feeling the characters have travelled and changed over the course of the first game to the second game.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622

As I mentioned today already, the BG1 avatars look realistic because they are modeled after real people, while the BG2 ones are completely drawn I believe. For instance, take these two pictures :

On the left we have our beloved Garrick. On the right it's his model - Cameron Tofer :)

Hope I didn't do anything illegal by uploading this picture. @TrentOster did it all on twitter really, didn't know before that, it's NOT MY FAUL! D:

Sounds like the lady who posed for the portrait just got dissed big time by the original poster.

So who is BG1 Jaheira modeled after? :)
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    I don't understand why you don't like Imoen's BG2 portrait!? It's adorable. On BG1 portrait she looks much older and in my opinion it doesn't match her girly voice.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I've always liked the BG1 Imoen portrait, although I would agree that she looks a bit older than how I envision the character. I was not a big fan of the BG2 portrait at first, but the character is indeed very changed in BG2, so I guess it's fitting. I've grown to like that one too.
  • LorfeanLorfean Member Posts: 43

I always hated her portrait from BG1... are they all getting redone?

Why would they redo the original portraits when people like you can just go online and grab whatever portraits they like from any of the hundreds of BG sites out there and replace the ones they dislike in the game?

The original portraits are just that -- the original portraits. And they should not be messed with.
    edited August 2012
    Lorfean said:

I always hated her portrait from BG1... are they all getting redone?

Why would they redo the original portraits when people like you can just go online and grab whatever portraits they like from any of the hundreds of BG sites out there and replace the ones they dislike in the game?

The original portraits are just that -- the original portraits. And they should not be messed with.
    True, you can replace NPC portraits by placing them (properly named) in the Override folder.* I've done that for Xzar for years. Ditto Coran's goofy portrait.

But anyway, I agree, leave the originals in place.

* http://portraits.chosenofmystra.net/npc_portrait_change.html
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526
    @TrentOster - you do realize you can't get away without dropping names, right? Jaheira's and Imoen's, above all :P

Also, I *love* BG1 portraits. I love them, I tell you!
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    These portraits seem just fine to me.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @Lemernis

Out of curiosity...why would you change Xzar's portrait?
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @Lemernis

True. I think his personality and voice match the portrait perfectly. But then I'm a hopeless Xzar fangirl, so I might be biased. XD
  • KolonKuKolonKu Member Posts: 87

Many of the BG1 team were in the portraits. When I play the game I always think of the people behind them. Mike started from well lit photos, painted in the fantasy and then did color. The portraits look good due to the strength of the photo showing through and the attention to detail Mike put in.
    Jason goes in an entirely different direction, his work is much looser and more atmospheric. I personally like Jason's work better as it fits well with my "Frazetta was a God" philosophy on Fantasy Art.

-Trent

That's really cool! Now I wish we got to see more of the BG1 team, so we can compare.
  • KolonKuKolonKu Member Posts: 87
    Looking up Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk, they slightly resemble.. Ajantis and Edwin? Those are the best guesses I can come up with.

@Lemernis

Just a matter of taste, I guess. I came across another portrait that felt like a better match (in my mind) for the character.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Kerozevok said:

You prefer this one ?...

That is horrible. But I might use it as Xzar wearing the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity.

• DLiteDLite Member Posts: 53
    Imoen's aged a bit since BG1..

• BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    edited August 2012
    DLite said:

Imoen's aged a bit since BG1..

BWA HAHAHAHAHAHA!11!1!!1
    Kerozevok said:

You prefer this one ?...

BWA HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Reminds me of Hugh Laurie almost, minus the stubles and more feminine.
  • KingsclawsKingsclaws Member Posts: 13

" HEYA ITS ME IMOEN" that cursed phrase has plagued my mind like a festering wound that will not heal.

Because I can.

Made me rofl thank you ;).
  • GrayvieGrayvie Member Posts: 49
    edited August 2012
    I am madly in love with BG2 portrait art. Everyone from the original cast looks so much better in the sequel.

Most of all I love Jaheira. I don't understand where all that hate towards her portrait is coming from. Sure her BG1 portrait was good... looked nothing like a half-elf though... but seriously her BG2 portrait is perfect.

I like every single portrait in BG2 but not so much with BG1 ones. That is completely understandable since they chose to base them on team members and friends (my guess) and not on professional models. I like the overall artstyle, even though I consider it inferior to sequel's, so when I play the first game I always swap portraits I fancy the least with fan made ones.

Speaking of Imoen, I obviously prefer her BG2 portrait so when I found this one (combining her features from second game with her appearance from first game) I was overjoyed.
    Post edited by Grayvie on