Skip to content

Planescape Torment - Source code lost

2»

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    shout27 said:

Hmm. We have a Planescape.zip file here that seems to have a bunch of source codey stuff in it ;-)

-Trent

Now just right-click and select "Delete" to become the greatest troll of all time.
    Alfred said it best, some people just want to watch the world burn.

Such thoroughly unhinged people probably have an easier time convincing final bosses they don't even exist. A +4 bonus to such checks seems fair.
  • shout27shout27 Member Posts: 89

Hmm. We have a Planescape.zip file here that seems to have a bunch of source codey stuff in it ;-)

-Trent

. . . Thank you for your lifesaving declaration. I may be a prick when it comes to proclaming my preference for second edition, but even I recognize when a rule here or there needs to be bent or broken either because of the medium used to convey the story or the uniqueness of the character in question.

I do want to see an EE of the game after all, though I'd appreciate the ability to turn of the 'summons' aspect of the later spells.
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    edited August 2012
    @TrentOster If you do end up making an EE of ps:t, could you please try to make the radial ui optional ?
    I`ll happily send you a few tubes of Norwegian bacon cheese if you do ;)
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Best thing to happen to PST. ;)

-Trent

Now just right-click and select "Delete" to become the greatest troll of all time.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    Jeez, if it weren't for @TrentOster's post, I would be on the verge of committing suicide...
    Kamigoroshi
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    edited August 2012

-Trent

Yay!!!!! Oh, happy day! I was sad after reading the original post, you saved me from sad, so thanks for that. woo-hoo!

• KonabugaKonabuga Member Posts: 135
    Now why would Trent Oster be in posession of the PST source code? Is PST being planned for EE perchance?

Also, since PST has its own distinct art style, would that zip-file possibly contain some art assets as well?

Very intriguing.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    edited August 2012
    @trentOster
    HEY, what are doing on the forums!!! Get of the net and get back to work!!!

lol, joking, please don't boot me :P

Edit: but at the same time, i have to say that i've noticed trent on the boards in various places at different times of the night. it's pure speculation on my part, but i assume he's been reading the boards and seeing what we love about the game and taking that heart. If that's the case, i have to be honest, i have much respect for beamdog.

Or he's a stalker and following me around. So i'm not sure if i should respect him or file a restraining order, but i'm working on both atm. :)
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    ajwz said:

githyanki and githzerai are native to the plane of limbo; genasi - yes although they are not that common full stop

That would be the key word, then. Plane. They're from the plane of limbo. That's a plane, and can therefore presumably be 'scaped.
    er, that's not the same thing. the prime material plane is a "plane", it doesn't mean its residents are native to sigil or the outlands
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited August 2012
    So there's hope I'll spend even more time in front of my computer playing Planescape EE in the future? My wife won't like the news :)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    BeamDog has always said they hoped to do something with PS:T. I'm confused as to whether it's a new game, or an EE of PS:T, but we'll find out after BG2 is done and the feasibility is evaluated. Crossing fingers...
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Well, it would certainly be in line with Overhaul's mission statement to enhance the game.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    edited August 2012
    @TrentOster
    Ohh thank you for that sir....I am very relieved....you do NOT know how pissed I was when it was revealed that the Ultima 7 Source was gone.

Ultima 7 being one of the games I truely believe should have been updated the way BG is being.
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    We pitched EA on doing the Ultima games, starting with Ultima 3. It wasn't a complete refusal, they just told us to go away, they had plans of their own for the IP and legacy products.

-Trent
    NWN_babaYaga
    Yeah plans of their own.....meaning it will be like the Ark of the covenant at the end of the first Indiana Jones movie :P
    ehhh, i'm surprised that trent actually comes on the boards and talks to people and doesn't act all high and mighty. maybe many of you on the boards already knew this, but to me, it's very refreshing. i think the BIGGEST problems with games these days is the developer telling you what you want to play, instead of listening to you say what you want.

@TrentOster Well played sir. You have my respect, not that you were far from it when you announced BG:EE. And thank you for extremely non invasive DRM. I will be watching your company with interest for many years to come.
    immagikman
  • ShadowShadow Member Posts: 20
    I might be in the minority here but I think the art style and GUI is ugly in comparison to BG/Icewind. The art alone is enough to prevent me playing the game after playing a similar type of game (BG)

Though didn't they have all the sourcecodes on one of those tapes used for long-time storage?
    Im with @Bjjorick

I love that Trent pops in from time to time and soothes our troubled brows with little bits o' tid.
    Seriously I like it. So much so in fact that when I find people like him I do my best to support them on Kickstarter type projects and buying multiple copies of things like BG:EE
    Bjjorick
    i only have a pc, no ipad and not big into cell phones, but i preordered and i preordered my wife's copy so we can do some multi when she's in the mood. :)
    @Bjjorick
    Both my kids and my younger brother will be getting copies too :) Sadly my wife is NOT into gaming at all (she has other addictions ) like I siad the pricing on this is such that it makes for wonderful stocking stuffers.
    hmmmmm, if i hadn't preordered, maybe i could have asked you for a copy, lol. and i want to get my sons into the game, but they're age 5, 6 and 9, so i'm not sure if i should wait a few more years before trying
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Bjjorick said:

hmmmmm, if i hadn't preordered, maybe i could have asked you for a copy, lol. and i want to get my sons into the game, but they're age 5, 6 and 9, so i'm not sure if i should wait a few more years before trying

Are you kidding? Age 5 is the perfect age to start.

My Daughter at age 5 used to sit in my lap and play "Hunting Monsters" (Doom) with me....she would pick the weapons and shoot while I did the driving...she learned the sounds could tell you which weapon to pick for which monster :D
    lol awesome, my 9 year old found my copy of gta san andreas a few years ago. i never played it in front of him, but watching him play it made me realize how horrible i am to play like i did. he would go around the city, happy to see all the people. He would go and *rent* a car from a garage (he never thought to take one from someone on the roads) and then he would try his best to drive carefully and pratice like he was driving right. He never once found a weapon or hit anyone. He thought the punch button was for in the gym.

Lol, and he never did any of the missions, he didn't know how. I always watched him play and he finally got tired of playing and moved on to something else, but it was really an eye opening experience for me how the game could easily be entertaining without the violence. This was on my 100% file as well so he had access to fly planes and things..... hehe good times :)
    lakridsThePlanarTraveler
    ajwz said:

ajwz said:

er, that's not the same thing. the prime material plane is a "plane", it doesn't mean its residents are native to sigil or the outlands

Still, the idea that Sigil's population is comprised of nothing but demons, devils, celestials, tieflings, and aasimar is just silly. What about the hag trapped in a pocket plane? Hags are naturally occurring creatures on the Prime Material. And, besides that, most petitioners are likely to be natural Prime races. Why would Moradin change his petitioners into anything other than dwarves, for instance?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    @Schneidend, @ajwz
    You can find pretty much every single race in existence in Sigil. There are the Clueless (mortals from material plane stumbled across portals and therefore trapped in Sigil), petitioners, as well as planar humans/half-elves/elves/dwarves/gnomes/halflings/ect (of which can all detect portals). Needless to say, only a trivial amount of demihumans live outside the realms of their gods, making them more or less a rare sight in Sigil.

Other citizens of Sigil which are listed in AD&D The Planewalker's Handbook are the gith, rogue modrons, bariaurs, genasi, aasimars, and tieflings.
    Thank you, @Kamigoroshi. You've been most helpful.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    ''Now just right-click and select "Delete" to become the greatest troll of all time.''

lol
    Schneidend