Skip to content

Wow. Orig. Bigby's Hand Spells were Awesome!

syllogsyllog Member Posts: 158
Was looking through 2e spells [Edit: 1e, but almost identical to 2e] (to see if I really had to give up a familiar for dropping summoning - yes, btw :).
I found out the original Bigby hand spells are AWESOME and NONE of them allow a saving throw.
I realize that the nuance of the spells is difficult to code, but it would have been really nice to have the -no save- part maintained.
As it is (in BGII)- no one uses the spells. There are spells with harder saves that do worse things. :/

Bigby's Crushing Hand
Bigby's Clenched Fist
Bigby's Grasping Hand
Bigby's Forceful Hand

Side note: I don't know why Meteor Swarm was never implemented as written (that's pretty easy to do and not OP compared to other 9th lvl spells - 4 targetable spheres (like the lightening wand) each do 10d4 damage with no save for the targetted creature and a save for nont-targetted creatres.)
Meteor Swarm

Oh, and the full list of core 2e [Edit: 1e, but very similar] spells for anyone interested:
http://pandaria.rpgworlds.info/cant/rules/adnd_spells.htm

[Correction: The links below are to 1st edition spells. I just found a copy of 2nd edition books though and all of the spells in question are essential identical - actually most of the spells are very similar in 1e and 2e (in 2e BFF doesn't require concentration).]
Post edited by syllog on

Comments

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Yeah, most of them are a bit disappointing. I do use the 8th level one because it has no save for the hold and you can use it as part of a chain contingency.
  • syllogsyllog Member Posts: 158
    @nano
    Yeah, I just always thought they were disappointing because that's how the original books wrote them. I just assumed the original AD&D spells were really imbalanced (relative to eachother) -- with high-level spells being written mostly for antagonists or something. Turns out a lot of it is just in-game implementation.

Also: The 1 turn of stun in-game isn't useless - that's certainly true.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    The 8th level is certainly better than the 9th level because the 8th level has no save, while the 9th has a save at -4 in the first round. Also, the effect is hold, not stun. You'll be surprised what type of creatures/bosses are NOT immune to being held.

Melissan
    Ravager
    Yaga Shura
    CrevsDaak
  • syllogsyllog Member Posts: 158
    @bbear

Good catch. Thanks.
    Also notable: I believe liches *are* immune to hold...

And yes, the 9th lvl being weaker than 8th lvl is bizarre. (I'd just change the spell myself, but I hate "cheating" my tactics mods. :/ )
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @bbear Amelyssan made a Feature Request to remove that spell from the game :P.
    Also, Jan Jansen is THE guy to do that, with two of those memorized, just a quick first round with Melissan and done with her in the nexts.