Skip to content

Minsc and his armor NO SPOILERS please

NO SPOILERS PLEASE but .. what kind of armor do you usually give Minsc in the early part of the game?

I usually put him in the splint armor you find in Irenicus' dungeon but he's a ranger so I wondered if I should give him studded leather instead. Any ideas?

NO SPOILERS and I would like to note I'm talking about the early part of the game and I didn't play the games 300 times so I don't know where the +10 Sword of incredible awesome power is. ; Thanks

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    If u don't wanna be spoiled, u shud post in the Beginner's section in the forum.

Minsc maybe a ranger, but he plays more like a powerhouse warrior, so I just deck him in the heaviest armour I can find. He can't detect traps or unlock stuff anyway, so u need a Thief for the stealth and scouting anyway.
    DragonspearabacusCalmarAristillius
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    You can use Minsc to stealth but it isn't the most useful ability without a backstab, and his stealth won't be that reliable early on. Just give him the best armour you can.

Also note that having a regular full plate with a Ring of Protection is better than a full plate+1. The AC will be the same but the ring also gives a saving throw bonus.
  • TigersagTigersag Member Posts: 52
    LOL
  • billygreatbillygreat Member Posts: 66
    jackjack said:

Full plate and packing steel.

Best armor and armed with "Jump on my sword , evil" :)
    jackjack
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    You can go for Lilacor, you know, she was a moon blade once, and also has a cousin that is a +12 hackmaster hammer as @TwoWayFinesse mentioned :)!
    Dragonspear
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    There should be a little set of armor and a tiny helmet for Boo. How cute would that be? :D
    jackjackbooinyoureyesDragonspearAristillius
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Ok serious answer.

If I am playing a tanking character, I give minsc studded and have him scout ahead instead of Imoen who can be a bit to fragile. In the vanilla days, since everyone and their monkey dropped a composite bow, I usually had him range attacking in the early going so having high armor wasn't his priority.

If I need a tank, he gets the heaviest armor and I beelined to the other ranged weapons, that's changed now though.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    We can't be serious in this thread unfortunally, either we answer the most non helpful answer the thread permit: go for heavy armors, or we risk touch in spoilers. It's funny cos in fact he asked a question and structured a way to not let it be proper answered, if i say, "there's the X armor", that can be by itself a spoiler, and "there's the X armor you can find in..." that will surelly be an spoiler.

It's the same to ask, "tell me the best item of BG2:EE but don't speak the item name cos it's spoiler!".
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Well technically, full plate IS my favorite armor for Minsc.
    Dragonspear
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    If I use him I just treat him as if he was a slightly weaker warrior because none of his other abilities really amount to much so he is basically going to get heavy plate and a 2 hand weapon or two good dual wield weapons.
    kamuizin said:

We can't be serious in this thread unfortunally, either we answer the most non helpful answer the thread permit: go for heavy armors, or we risk touch in spoilers. It's funny cos in fact he asked a question and structured a way to not let it be proper answered, if i say, "there's the X armor", that can be by itself a spoiler, and "there's the X armor you can find in..." that will surelly be an spoiler.

It's the same to ask, "tell me the best item of BG2:EE but don't speak the item name cos it's spoiler!".

@kamuizin
    He asked about "kind of armour", not specifics, so I don't see anything wrong with that, though it does mean that there's not much to discuss.

It's either 'Studded Leather' so Minsc and stealth and scout, or 'full plate and packing steal'.
    kamuizin
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    His end game armor for me is white dragon scale, if charname doesn't need it. For most of the game Lilarcor and full plate is ideal :)

Lilarcor seems made for him. It calls the wielder "Dolt" and "Beefy". :)
    @kamuizin For one thing I'm new to this forum and didn't want to risc starting a discussion that would lead to spoilers in the wrong place of the forum. I now know it's okay to have spoilers her but even so I just started playing the game again and don't want to know about every magical weapon there is and where I can get it because it means reading ahead of where I am right now in the story.

@heindrich1988 Yes it was basically a simple question. I just wanted to see how other players approach it. If it was my choice I would rather have a real fighter NPC then Minsc because he gets injured a lot in the big fights (before I can afford to give him plate with my 2000 gold, or the little money you have left after paying you know what)

and yes, I agree that Boo should have been given a make over for this enhanced version and maybe even a role as a familiar to Minsc! He can go scouting around with his cute little helmet then..
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @booinyoureyes it looks like @nano found your new forum avatar.

For Minsc: Full Plate and packing a steel Lirlacor until you get a really shemxy two-hander in late SoA. You'll prolly know it when you see it. If you want to scout you're better off using Valygar, a thief or using casting invisibility on someone.
    CrevsDaakbooinyoureyes
    edited January 2014

For Minsc: Full Plate and packing a steel Lirlacor until you get a really shemxy two-hander in late SoA. You'll prolly know it when you see it. If you want to scout you're better off using Valygar, a thief or using casting invisibility on someone.

@Dragonspear
    Really? Do you mean the
    Silver Sword
    ?

I've reached Throne of Bhaal and I've not come across anything that made me think "OMG that's amazing!" Except the thing that Minsc can't use, but Keldorn can...

I'm now wondering if I missed something important in SoA, cos I didn't do every quest possible, and played blind, so might've missed stuff.
    @nano cool and funny picture!! Is it your own hamster??
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    nano said:

oh my god

The picture to end all "how awesome can Boo be" discussions.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    @Tigersag I wish... I just found it through google. Apparently it's a guinea pig, but close enough ^_^
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    edited January 2014
    @Heindrch1988

That is the exact one I was talking about. I normally keep Lirlacor for things like umber hulks but I prefer your spoiler-ed option otherwise.
    Heindrich
    @nano still funny.. maybe somebody can make a mod for it... to put a guinea pig in your inventory for mp!
    nano
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

Done

MAKE WAY VILLAINY
    jackjackHeindrichnanoDragonspear