Skip to content

HowTo - Modding BG:EE on the iPad

Comments

• nsrnsr Member Posts: 174
    @aislinn could you be more specific about the error? Have you created an override folder, as well as moved dialog.tlk to the proper location?
  • AislinnAislinn Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2013
    I followed the Samba instructions completely - I have an override, dialog.tlk appears and all. The error for SCS reports a parsing error. I literally cannot see the errors for the other two mods because the dos window for them pops up and flashes by so fast that I can't read it (I can say that it looks like the same error for both, though).

Next attempt I make (tomorrow) I'll see if I can grab and copy the SCS error, at least.
  • mars0124mars0124 Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2013
    Try to install an easier mod, like an NPC mod, to start. SCS is pretty big and I fail at installing it even still.
    The simplest way is to make a full copy of the BG folder structure own your computer and install it there. This limits the number of things that could cause problems
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    I am trying to install the Subraces mod, but there is no weidu file, justa .exe installation file, does aparently does nothing. Does not create anything in the override folder i created. Also, I can't delate the dialog.tk folder in the ipad, so I am not sure I could replace it. Thanks.
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    [Mod] Drizzt Tweak
    [Mod] TeamBG's Armor/Weapon Pack for BG:EE, BGT & TuTu

The above mods work.
    lunar
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Beholder Invasion mod
    Lingerie Pack
    Both will work as they were created in the iPad version, by me.
    I love a good sense of humour. I'll add them to the list when I start it, which won't be today as my children are sick.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @mars0124 there is really no to hurry, and hope your children get better soon :)
  • TravelleriTravelleri Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2013
    Btw, there is a button now for importing custom portraits and all you have to do is use those larger portraits and name them whateveryoulike.bmp(The large portrait will get scaled down for every use) They need to be placed in portraits folder under the Library with iFunbox.

So it's nice that you don't have to "steal" another NPC's portrait by naming your custom portrait as VICONIAL.bmp/VICONIAS.bmp for example anymore and take it during character creation.
    Good to know!

FYI, for you iFunBox users, try out iTools. They're download link is broken right now, but you can get their software elsewhere.

Here is their page: http://www.itools.cn/en_index.htm
    Here is a working download link: http://www.4shared.com/zip/OU7F5A43/iTools0524E.htm

After you launch it for the first time it will install an update.
  • KanaKana Member Posts: 2
    I discovered that you can also use custom soundsets now by placing them in Baldur's Gate>Library>sounds. Just copy them over and select them in the customize screen. No jailbreaking and no replacing existing soundsets required.

I'm pretty sure that's new. If it was always that way, then I apologize.
  • ChrisNHChrisNH Member Posts: 22
    mars0124 said:

FYI, for you iFunBox users, try out iTools. They're download link is broken right now,

CNET has the most recent version updated to work with 7.04.

mars0124
    Beautiful! Thanks, @ChrisNH!

For everyone else, here is the link: http://download.cnet.com/iTools/3000-2248_4-75629761.html

edited January 2014
    Edit: removed this post.
    Post edited by mars0124 on
    CrevsDaakTravelleridavemo
    The latest version of weidu appears to look for the "lang" folder. So now you need to copy "dialog.tlk" to an appropriate language subdirectory
  • greenfishgreenfish Member Posts: 84
    mars0124 said:

So... because its hard to use the forum to organize information I am going to start posting modding information externally.

Its pretty bare right now, but I'll be populating it over the next few days. Unfortunately, as usual, a jailbreak is required for anything that modifies dialog.tlk, so that portion won't be added for some time.

Here's where things will be though: http://bgipadmod.wordpress.com/

Thanks for your blog.

I can't seem to disable intro movies (yes it's jailbroken) I can edit every other setting in the ini, although they don't seem to change, but values I can edit.

Except for the movies, if I put "0" they are back to "1" after the game started. Same results if I delete the ini, just generates a new one.

• PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    @mars0124 Did I miss something? I can't read anything on your blog. Am I supposed to sign in? Or (but it would be really weird) is it unreadable by an iPad?
  • greenfishgreenfish Member Posts: 84
    Pibaro said:

@mars0124 Did I miss something? I can't read anything on your blog. Am I supposed to sign in? Or (but it would be really weird) is it unreadable by an iPad?

It's the same for me.

I had to go to this link to see his entire blog:

http://bgipadmod.wordpress.com/category/uncategorized/
    Sorry gents, I've had a change of heart. My time can only stretch so far with my obligations in life. I will leave the acquisition of information to those who have the time.
    Pibaro
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    Great! Now, what mods can be used?
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    edited March 2014
    Can I install mods as per the ifunbox method on osx?

Mainly i want to install SCS and thought it was all going smoothly until I actually got to setup-strategems.command. Firstly, there was "permission denied". Now that I circumvented that it doesn't seem to find the files.

Last login: Thu Mar 6 13:04:30 on ttys000
    /Users/wax/Desktop/SCS\ mod/Baldur\'s\ Gate.app/setup-stratagems.command ; exit;
    aram:~ wax$ /Users/wax/Desktop/SCS\ mod/Baldur\'s\ Gate.app/setup-stratagems.command ; exit;
    /Users/wax/Desktop/SCS mod/Baldur's Gate.app/setup-stratagems.command: line 2: c: No such file or directoryod/Baldur's Gate.app
    /Users/wax/Desktop/SCS mod/Baldur's Gate.app/setup-stratagems.command: line 3: ./setup-stratagems: No such file or directory
    logout

[Process completed]
    The only thing I can think of is that the ipad version follows the PC file format except as noted in the modding instructions and the osx version has a different file format and hence the osx installer for SCS isn't working.

Fix osx installer? Can I use the PC installer? Is it something else altogether?
    Okay so have up on osx and swapped over to windows.

Everything seemed fine but now with the override and dialogue.tlk back on the ipad it crashes as soon as I hit new game or load game.

This is in BG1. Single player campaign or black pits. SCS v28.

Is it some issue with capitalising some or all of the files in the override folder that I'm forgetting? Do I need to do a manual install and skip some portions?
    So I thought that perhaps the chitin.key had to be in there too and noticed a 2 byte difference in there size. Once it was copied over the game wouldn't even start up:

Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition
    /Users/camerontofer/bgcode/code/libsql/sql_compiler.c(428): [Not Exists] Table 'dlc' not found.

Currently I'm just renaming the original files by adding _backup to them (for example, chitin.key_backup). This isn't a possible issue is it?

So after the mod the chitin key crashes the game and the override folder does too. Is it issues with forward and back slashes? Lack of capitalisations?

So frustrated.
    @Wowo‌ uhm...
    So you are simply trying to install SCS via PC?
    Is your iPad jailbreaked?
    I can't help you with that (because I did it with a not-jailbreaked iPad), but I didn't use the override folder of iPad, I used the "character" folder instead, and it worked for me.
    I simply copied all the files from the override folder in the character folder.
    I couldn't modify the dialog.tlk (but without jailbreak, you can't do it), but SCS worked for me!
    edited March 2014
    @Pibaro‌ thanks for the idea. Yes, via PC and ifunbox. Yes jailbroken.

I tried it like that but I still get a crash as soon as I hit new game regardless of if its in characters or override.

Which version of SCS did you use? Did you do a full install? I'm wondering if I need to redo it and not install some parts. The generated override folder is huge too and plenty of it isn't in capitals so I don't know if that is the issue.
    So I repeated the exact same process for BG2 and voila, it works perfectly.

Perhaps there is a compatibility issue with some portion of SCS that I installed for BG1 that is causing the issue?
    I don't know...
    Did you install everything?
    If I were you, I'd try with a minor install, just to see if it works.
    Try installing just the AI change at first (there are few dialog.tlk changes there).
    If it works, try adding something, but the last things you want to try are:
    "Improved Chapter 7", "Improved Chapter 3", and "Werewolf island" components.
    So after playing for a while it seems clear that the install wasn't entirely successful.

Some parts are working - reputation progression, fee for ghaelan, custom scripts for your own characters are what I've observed so far.

However, the game doesn't seem harder. Spellcasters are on their default setting. I haven't don't any boss fights yet.

I don't understand why some parts work and others don't. Any ideas where I can start to look for answers?

Just did the lich in the city gates area and could enter and leave his room to cause interruptions and Edwin polymorphed to slime sucked all of his spells easily.