Skip to content

Kangaxx the Demilich

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2014
    Looks like it was a change made in BG2 Core Fixes in the fixpack (which obviously was included in BG2EE). At least thats what I'm guessing based on this

http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg2tweaks/rules.php

Basically it says that in the original the majority of weapons that gave some kind of thac0 bonus against [insert enemy] were being treated as having an enchantment level that was the higher of the two. This just made it to be consistent across all weapons like this.
    Post edited by elminster on
    nanoCorvinoErg
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    Ah so instead of using the giant kin hammer my fighter Mage wasn't proficient in I could have wrecked kangaxx with daystar, good to know...

Daystar Sunray never hits for more than 50 for me though.. So I tend to project image and simulacrum to triple or quadruple sunray
    jackjack
  • lelag200lelag200 Member Posts: 125
    edited January 2014
    Thanks everyone for your posts. This all should be very helpful. Don't know if I missed it, but I never read anything about the Sling of Everard. Anyone know what/where it is?
    Post edited by lelag200 on
  • RannRann Member Posts: 168
    The Sling of Everard can be purchased in the Copper Coronet -- there's a merchant (Joluv) in the south-center of the main room. That, combined with the Shield of Balduran purchasable from Deidre in Ribald's establishment, are the two "must purchase" items on every run that I do.
    lelag200
    Rann said:

The Sling of Everard can be purchased in the Copper Coronet -- there's a merchant (Joluv) in the south-center of the main room. That, combined with the Shield of Balduran purchasable from Deidre in Ribald's establishment, are the two "must purchase" items on every run that I do.

I would say robe of Vecna is more must purchase than shield of balduran because you can do the major beholder fights after you get cloak of mirroring but that's just me. Also defender of east haven is +++
    SpaceInvader
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Azuredge is probably the best deal there. It's really cheap for how good it is.
    riyahhassett
    nano said:

Azuredge is probably the best deal there. It's really cheap for how good it is.

But the "good" restriction keeps it from being used in "every" play through :)
    nano
    kryptix said:

Rann said:

I would say robe of Vecna is more must purchase than shield of balduran because you can do the major beholder fights after you get cloak of mirroring but that's just me. Also defender of east haven is +++
    Yes, the robe of Vecna is something I missed on my first playthrough many years ago.. It is amazing! Nearly instant casting for most spells. Extremely useful. Where is the cloak of mirroring? I remember depending heavily on that my first time but don't remember where I got it.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    City-of-Caverns, A.K.A. Sahuagin city.
    lelag200 said:

kryptix said:

Rann said:

Yes, the robe of Vecna is something I missed on my first playthrough many years ago.. It is amazing! Nearly instant casting for most spells. Extremely useful. Where is the cloak of mirroring? I remember depending heavily on that my first time but don't remember where I got it.
    Its on a triggered ambush in City of Caverns towards the middle of the map.

Its not as good anti beholder as the shield of cheese but it works on non beholders too. I find it a bit cheesy as well but I don't like resting excessively and thats the only other way I have to beat beholders in SCS because their anti magic is so good. Anyway they steal your cloak of mirroring after 3-4 hits so you have to kill fast anyway.
  • XcidiumXcidium Member Posts: 22
    You could also refer to Kevin Dorner's (Baldurdash) "50 Ways to Kill Your Kangaxx", in rhyming verse, complete with midi tune: http://www.baldurdash.org/kangaxx.html
    jackjacklelag200
    It took quite a while, but I eventually utilized every party member to aid in taking Kangaxx down in about 2 turns using the following--
    charname-Spell Immunity/Melf's meteors
    Minsc-Burning Earth +1
    Mazzy-Daystar +2
    Jaheira-Summon Fire Elemental
    Hexxat-Dart +5
    Neera-Melf's meteors

"Piece of cake" (Said no one ever about fighting Kangaxx their first time.)

Thanks again for all the help everyone. I found the song/poem especially helpful :)
    elminsterLeonGozeta
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    lelag200 said:

It took quite a while, but I eventually utilized every party member to aid in taking Kangaxx down in about 2 turns using the following--
    charname-Spell Immunity/Melf's meteors
    Minsc-Burning Earth +1
    Mazzy-Daystar +2
    Jaheira-Summon Fire Elemental
    Hexxat-Dart +5
    Neera-Melf's meteors

"Piece of cake" (Said no one ever about fighting Kangaxx their first time.)

Thanks again for all the help everyone. I found the song/poem especially helpful :)

Do you realize that all you have to do is to buy scroll of protection from the undead (purchasable at almost every temple) and he is just gonna stand in front of you without doing anything)

I really wonder is that possible to have such a cheap way to kill one of the most powerful being in DnD universe?
    Xcidium
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Terrible game balance. Either he can imprison your whole team (hard for a new player) or you can use the few things that protects against it and he is defenseless. So stupid.
  • foolstonefoolstone Member Posts: 37
    Daystar is the best weapon to kill kraggxx and it is easy to get.

Terrible game balance. Either he can imprison your whole team (hard for a new player) or you can use the few things that protects against it and he is defenseless. So stupid.

Yup, this is what we could call a one time difficult enemy. Once he is figured out, there is no challenge to him, which is a bummer for later run throughs. It was fun the first time figuring him out but now I imagine it will just be a chore to grab the scrolls and go get his ring.

• JTMJTM Member Posts: 70
    lelag200 said:

Yup, this is what we could call a one time difficult enemy. Once he is figured out, there is no challenge to him, which is a bummer for later run throughs. It was fun the first time figuring him out but now I imagine it will just be a chore to grab the scrolls and go get his ring.

After beating the regular Kangaxx, you can try improved Kangaxx (Tactics Mod) which makes the fight much harder imo. However, I don't know if the Tactics Mod is compatible with BG2EE yet...
    Hmmm... SCS makes it so that if a lich's summons can see you he will area nuke where his summons are. I wonder if protection from undead will work on the Demi lich though because he never summons anything against me...
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    foolstone said:

Actually since they changed her effective enchantment to +4 and since almost everything you fight in BG is evil (and the fact that there is a LOT of Undead there), Daystar is not only ideal to kill Kangaxx — it's also one of the best long swords in SoA in general, with Black Razor being the only better.

• FatalApocalypseFatalApocalypse Member Posts: 66

Exit the room when Kangaxx turns into a DemiLich.
    Turn AI off.
    Cast Spell Immunity-Abjuration on Mage.
    Equip Mage with Sling +5 (sold by the dude in front of Copper Coronet)
    Place Mage as 6th Party member to increase Chance of him being targeted first.
    Cast Haste/Improved Haste.
    Reenter room.
    Send Mage Towards Kangaxx and eat popcorn. (Might have to recast Spell Immunity during the 'fight')
    kryptix said:

Hmmm... SCS makes it so that if a lich's summons can see you he will area nuke where his summons are. I wonder if protection from undead will work on the Demi lich though because he never summons anything against me...

What does SCS and HLA stand for? Everyone uses these like crazy and I'm in the dark about their meaning.
    jackjack
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited January 2014
    @lelag200
    SCS = Sword Coast Stratagems. A popular mod by @DavidW
    From what I know of it, it greatly enhances the AI of enemies, making battles, (those against mages, liches, and other casters in particular), a good deal more difficult in a way many prefer to simply raising the difficulty slider. It may also do other things, but as I do not use it myself, my knowledge of it ends there.
    HLA = High Level Abilities. These are special, well, abilities, unique to class, (or category of classes), that you select when your character reaches ~3,000,000 XP, I believe. As you continue to level, you may select certain ones multiple times, (to gain more uses per day), or others, (to widen your repertoire of HLAs). They are quite powerful.
    Post edited by jackjack on
    lelag200
    lelag200 said:

kryptix said:

What does SCS and HLA stand for? Everyone uses these like crazy and I'm in the dark about their meaning.
    SCS is a mod that tries to make the game more realistic by optimizing the spell selections and the decision trees of enemy casters (basically use thier whole spell book with the best combat magic to kill one of you now). It also removes some of the more unrealistic tactics such as putting traps next to dragons while they are blue etc. there's also a component I don't use that moves some of the strongest items to TOB from SOA, such as robe of Vecna and helm of vailor. I don't use the shield of balduran anyway but the mod makes it so beholders can steal it from you etc. also makes any creature with native magic instantly cast spells such as fiends and planetars...

Planetars are ridiculously good in SCS...
  • KastionKastion Member Posts: 44
    Lathlaer said:

foolstone said:

Actually since they changed her effective enchantment to +4 and since almost everything you fight in BG is evil (and the fact that there is a LOT of Undead there), Daystar is not only ideal to kill Kangaxx — it's also one of the best long swords in SoA in general, with Black Razor being the only better.

Did they really make it act like a +4 now? I know it didn't used to and it screwed with a lot of things T_T
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    Kastion said:

Lathlaer said:

foolstone said:

Did they really make it act like a +4 now? I know it didn't used to and it screwed with a lot of things T_T
    Yes. Yesterday killed Kangaxx with it. Superfast since he is both evil and undead :)
    Kastion
  • KastionKastion Member Posts: 44
    Lathlaer said:

Kastion said:

Lathlaer said:

foolstone said:

Yes. Yesterday killed Kangaxx with it. Superfast since he is both evil and undead :)
    Thank you for making me aware of this :D
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Also the bonus damage on Daystar isn't reduced by his damage reduction so it does a LOT of damage compared to other weapons. In the Black Pits it kills both demiliches in a round and a half 8D
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377

Send Mage Towards Kangaxx and eat popcorn. (Might have to recast Spell Immunity during the 'fight')

I thought it would be that easy but it isn't. The issue is that Spell Immunity has a short duration and due to Kangaxx having absurd damage reduction, you really have to refresh the spell many times. I managed to die two times because it ran out one microsecond before he cast his spell.

lelag200
    You can't rely on 1-2 hits a round to kill him because I think he regenerates too so the key is to have as many guys as you can immune and hitting him.

By the time you get to the WK demilich you can probably just have one fighter type greater whirlwind it down with daystar by going immune using scroll rage or si abjuration if a fighter Mage.
  • FatalApocalypseFatalApocalypse Member Posts: 66

I thought it would be that easy but it isn't. The issue is that Spell Immunity has a short duration and due to Kangaxx having absurd damage reduction, you really have to refresh the spell many times. I managed to die two times because it ran out one microsecond before he cast his spell.

Only took 2 recasts for my fight. With Robe Of Vecna there's no problem.