Skip to content

MacOS WeiDu Launcher: easy mod installation on Macs!

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @Ballspawn - Ah... you copied the entire Weidu folder into the Resources folder. You need to put the "weidu" binary that is in that folder into the Resources folder instead.

You'll need to
    1) Move all the "setup-XXX" links the Mod Installer has created to the Trash. You can also trash any setup-XXX.exe files (those are Windows binaries).
    2) Move the WeiDU folder back out of the Resources folder (hold down the Command key when you do, otherwise OSX will just create a link to the WeiDU folder)
    3) Copy the weidu binary from the WeiDU folder into the Resources folder.
    4) Run Mac Mod Installer again. Should work now.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    Kelsey v3 is now available in a Mac-friendly format over at PPG.

i cant open the file, as the program is from unidentified developer. Im using mac ox maverick

@vallencefire - See the following note from Apple's support website:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14369

• atakdogatakdog Member Posts: 51
    Anyone have any idea why installing SCS using the installer would break the whole game, so it doesn't even launch? I tested after each mod install, and it was fine up until then, but after installing SCS (with a full complement of options), I can't even start the game; opening or double-clicking the app does nothing.

The app proceeded fine, without errors.

I'm on Mavericks, and am using Weidu 236. BG2EE is from the app store.

I've had to delete and reinstall the game; wondering whether I need simply to drop SCS from my mod list. I hope not.

Step 1: Find your BG2EE "Resources" folder. Usually, your install is at /Applications/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00782/. You should see an app there, named "BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app". Right-click on that, choose "show package contents," and go into /Contents/Resources/. Put the Mac Mod Installer app in that folder.

I think this may be changed in Mavericks. I'm on OS 10.9.1, with the game downloaded from the app store, and my resources folder is at /Applications/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app/Contents/Resources; there is no Game Data folder and no 00782 or similarly named folder, as far as I can tell.

For anyone new to terminal: rather than typing in the address of a file or folder when you need to enter it on a command line, you can instead just drag that file or folder into terminal; the correct pathname will be filled in.
    atakdog said:

Step 1: Find your BG2EE "Resources" folder. Usually, your install is at /Applications/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00782/. You should see an app there, named "BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app". Right-click on that, choose "show package contents," and go into /Contents/Resources/. Put the Mac Mod Installer app in that folder.

I think this may be changed in Mavericks. I'm on OS 10.9.1, with the game downloaded from the app store, and my resources folder is at /Applications/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app/Contents/Resources; there is no Game Data folder and no 00782 or similarly named folder, as far as I can tell.
    That's not Mavericks, that's downloading BG2EE from the Mac App Store vs. direct from Beamdog.
    atakdog said:

Anyone have any idea why installing SCS using the installer would break the whole game, so it doesn't even launch? I tested after each mod install, and it was fine up until then, but after installing SCS (with a full complement of options), I can't even start the game; opening or double-clicking the app does nothing.

The app proceeded fine, without errors.

I'm on Mavericks, and am using Weidu 236. BG2EE is from the app store.

I've had to delete and reinstall the game; wondering whether I need simply to drop SCS from my mod list. I hope not.

1. Does uninstalling SCS via weidu restore the game to a launchable state?

2. Have you tried installed just SCS to see if that still causes the problem? (i.e., is it just SCS, or is it SCS+other mod)

3. What other mods are you installing? Are they all updated for BG2EE?
    1. Unfortunately not; the uninstall apparently proceeded properly but I still get nothing upon trying to open the app.

2. No. I'm slightly reluctant to at this point lest I have to download yet another clean copy, but I guess this is a problem that's worth solving (because the game is too easy without SCS), so I suppose I should try that. (I've made a copy of my unmodified .app, but I don't know that that will work if I have to revert.)

3. Lots, mostly NPCs that I certainly don't need. But everything was pulled from the list on this forum of EE-compatible mods, with the exception of the EE armor pack and EE weapons pack, which are nominally supposed to work. I would much rather lose the NPCs that SCS, but I'd very much like to keep Unfinished Business and the Tweak Pack.

At this point I suppose I should try starting with Stratagems.
    ... and the answer is, it's a compatibility problem; starting with SCS works fine. Of course, now I have to be judicious about what I put on top of that, because SCS modifies so many other things, but at least I'm headed in the right direction.
    Glad to hear that it's not a problem with SCS itself. Unfortunately, it means you don't know what combination of mods created the problem in the first place.
  • gandhipantsgandhipants Member Posts: 1
    Just want to say, I used to use the Mac App store version, and SCS would crash the game (only cured by a reinstall) no matter how I installed it, or what other mods were running. With a Beamdog version, it works fine. Increasingly, it seems the App Store is definitely not the way to go, and a lot of people's problems might not be due to the mods or even the install tools, but the way the app is locked down when purchased that way.
  • BARBAROSSABARBAROSSA Member Posts: 17

@Ballspawn - Ah... you copied the entire Weidu folder into the Resources folder. You need to put the "weidu" binary that is in that folder into the Resources folder instead.

You'll need to
    1) Move all the "setup-XXX" links the Mod Installer has created to the Trash. You can also trash any setup-XXX.exe files (those are Windows binaries).
    2) Move the WeiDU folder back out of the Resources folder (hold down the Command key when you do, otherwise OSX will just create a link to the WeiDU folder)
    3) Copy the weidu binary from the WeiDU folder into the Resources folder.
    4) Run Mac Mod Installer again. Should work now.

I am sorry, I do not quite understand.
    What's the "weidu binary"?

When I try to install mods, I get this:

./setup-subrace
    -bash: ./setup-subrace: is a directory

Thanks for your help!

./setup-subrace

Thanks for your help!

The Mac Mod Installer is looking for a program named weidu in the Resources directory. It creates a symlink to the weidu program for each mod called "setup-MODNAME".

You copied the entire weidu directory into the Resources directory, rather than just the weidu program. So, when the Mac Mod Installer creates the symlink, it is a link to the weidu directory instead of the weidu program.

There is a program file called weidu in the WeiDU directory. Move the weidu folder out of Resources (or rename it), and copy the weidu program file back to the Resources directory. Also, be sure to remove the "setup-MODNAME" symlinks that the Mac Mod Installer has already created.
  • BARBAROSSABARBAROSSA Member Posts: 17

./setup-subrace

Thanks for your help!

The Mac Mod Installer is looking for a program named weidu in the Resources directory. It creates a symlink to the weidu program for each mod called "setup-MODNAME".

You copied the entire weidu directory into the Resources directory, rather than just the weidu program. So, when the Mac Mod Installer creates the symlink, it is a link to the weidu directory instead of the weidu program.

There is a program file called weidu in the WeiDU directory. Move the weidu folder out of Resources (or rename it), and copy the weidu program file back to the Resources directory. Also, be sure to remove the "setup-MODNAME" symlinks that the Mac Mod Installer has already created.
    http://oi41.tinypic.com/315g4uv.jpg

So. The COPYING file is the only executable I found in weidu, so I put it in resources.
    When I open Mod Installer it asks me to choose from different mods, I choose setup-subrace.
    Click, creates a setup-modname thing and it says it's a folder.

I'm sorry I'm bad at this, but when it comes to computers I'm as daft as a donkey.
    edited January 2014
    @BARBAROSSA - It appears that the WeiDU download was updated on January 1st to include 3 sets of binaries: 32-bit, 64-bit for OS X 10.6-10.8, and 64-bit for OS X Mavericks (10.9). So, the binaries are now in sub-folders in WeiDU-Mac/bin.

http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/WeiDU-Mac-236.zip

So, depending on what version of OS X you have, copy the appropriate version of weidu and weinstall into your Resources folder.

If you are running OS X 10.5 or earlier, you want the binaries in WeiDU-Mac/bin/x86.
    If you are running OS X 10.6 to 10.8, you want the binaries "weidu+snowleopard" and "weinstall+snowleopard" in WeiDU-Mac/bin/x86-64.
    If you are running OS X 10.9, you want the binaries "weidu+mavericks" and "weinstall+mavericks" in WeiDU-Mac/bin/x86-64.

The Mac Mod Installer looks for a program called "weidu". So, if you use the snowleopard or mavericks binaries, you'd need to rename them to "weidu" and "weinstall" to use the Mac Mod Installer. EDIT: If you grab the updated Mac Mod Installer tool below, you don't need to rename the weidu binaries. Just copy the appropriate versions to Resources.

Otherwise, if you're comfortable with the command line, you can just use weinstall to install mods. Just type the command "weinstall+mavericks MODNAME" (or weinstall+snowleopard, if that's the version you need to use).

Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    I've updated @subtledoctor's Mac Mod Installer tool to work with the latest OS X WeiDU binaries (v236). The new download of WeiDU contains three sets of binaries: 32-bit, 64-bit, and 64-bit Mavericks.

If you are running OS X 10.5 or earlier, you want the binaries in WeiDU-Mac/bin/x86.
    If you are running OS X 10.6 to 10.8, you want the binaries "weidu+snowleopard" and "weinstall+snowleopard" in WeiDU-Mac/bin/x86-64.
    If you are running OS X 10.9, you want the binaries "weidu+mavericks" and "weinstall+mavericks" in WeiDU-Mac/bin/x86-64.

This version of the Mac Mod Installer detects the OS X version and then looks for the appropriate WeiDU binary in the Resources folder. You can get it here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80058200/BG Mac mod installer v2_2.zip
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    edited January 2014
    I tried "weinstall+mavericks MODNAME" on the command line. "weinstall+mavericks" calls "WeiDU" (not "weidu") for execution. Because OSX file names are kind of case sensitive, "WeiDU" wasn't found and "weinstall+mavericks MODNAME" failed.

I renamed "weidu+mavericks" to "WeiDU" and after adding the working directory to the PATH shell variable via "PATH=$PATH:." the mod was successfully installed.

I tested this with the "itemupgrade" mod. Everything worked fine.

Thank you very much for your work!
    @StefanO
    The case thing will be fixed in the next release. It was a surprise to me that OS X cared. I didn't think it did (like Windows).
    @Wisp - Thanks for updating the weidu package to include both 10.6 and 10.9 binaries!

One thing to consider - in case people don't realize they need to rename the weidu+CATNAME binaries, maybe put the binaries in separate subdirectories and keep the names just 'weidu' and 'weinstall'?
    @AstroBryGuy
    Okay.
    Do you think people will manage until the next version, or would you prefer to have the existing package updated?
    @Wisp - I've updated the @subtledoctor's Mac Mod Installer applescript to use the weidu+CATNAME binaries (actually, I need to tweak the logic to look for weidu or weidu+CATNAME). So, people can use the Installer with the current distribution.

If people want to use weinstall, they'll have to rename it like @StefanO, but I think people will manage (and if they don't want to have to rename the binary, I doubt they would be comfortable editing their $PATH anyway).
  • AugustAlsoAugustAlso Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2014
    Hey all! I'm having trouble installing the BGII Tweak Pack, and I'm hoping someone here can help?

So, here's what I'm running:
    Beamdog BGII:EE
    OSX 10.9.1
    WeiDu 236
    Mac Mod Installer v2.2
    TweakPack v14
    "weidu/weinstall+mavericks", "weidu" and "WeiDu" in the resources folder.

and the mod installer listed in this thread works fine for any mod *except* when trying to install the BG2 TweakPack, which it then chokes on and gives me an "Illegal Instruction 4" error. Is anyone else encountering this problem? I've tried asking around the TweakPack forums but no one there seems to have an answer about this rather cryptic error.

Now, when I just type weidu bg2-tweakpacks.tp2 it asks me for language, I give it, and then it shoots me a TON of "no translation for @[some number here]" and basically installs nothing.

Anyone have any idea how I can resolve that "illegal instruction 4" error? Or have any insight into the latter series of errors? @Wisp you seem to have a great deal of technical knowledge? Any help would be deeply, greatly appreciated.

@AugustAlso - Did you remove the "setup-MODNAME" file that came with BG2 Tweaks? The Mac Mod Installer creates a symlink to the weidu binary with the name "setup-MODNAME". If that file already exists, the link can't be created and the installer will run the pre-existing file.
    AugustAlso
  • AugustAlsoAugustAlso Member Posts: 2
    @AstroBryGuy,

You are a wonderful amazing human being and thank you so much. Was finally able to install the tweak pack by removing the setup- file. Thanks again, this was utterly opaque to me and I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Finally, I'll be able to play BGII with the wonderful good stuff in the Tweak Pack. Thanks!
    AstroBryGuy
  • RxGusRxGus Member Posts: 1
    I was really struggling, like AugustAlso to get this working. I finally got all the pieces and parts installed (tweak Mods), loaded up my game and.... "Baldur's Gate II quit unexpectedly". What did I break?
    @RxGus - hard to say. What mods are you trying to install?
  • HoltzmanEngineHoltzmanEngine Member Posts: 11
    can anyone explain step by step how to install a mod (with just .tp2 file inside the archive) via Weidu?
    I've OSX Maverick, I've downloaded the rogue rebalancing mod and weidu 236. I've copied weinstall+mavericks and weidu+mavericks and the mod folder into resources. If i run weinstall from terminal i get:
    WeiDU --log setup-rr.debug rr.tp2 setup-rr.tp2 rr/rr.tp2 rr/setup-rr.tp2
    /bin/sh: WeiDU: command not found
    Do i need to rename weinstall and weidu? How to change the path? Thanks
  • HoltzmanEngineHoltzmanEngine Member Posts: 11
    done thanks anyway! :)
  • Princess_SarahPrincess_Sarah Member Posts: 39
    Thank you so much for this it is brilliant!

I am completely tech illiterate and managed to make it work easily :)

I initially had some trouble getting it to work but eventually worked out I needed to change permissions on the "override", "resources" and "lang" folders to "read & write".

if anyone else is in need of it, here is the how-to for changing permissions on OS X Mountain Lion:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10669

and if you are as silly as me - the reason things are initially greyed out on the permissions table is that you need to scroll down to the bottom and click on the padlock button to be able to make changes. You will need the administrator password to do this. took me a good 10 mins to figure out i needed to click this - like I said completely tech illiterate.
    AstroBryGuy
  • jubalharshawjubalharshaw Member Posts: 2
    Hello! Encountering a problem I can't find an answer to on the forums.

I have a Mac App Store copy of BG2:EE, and just updated my OS to Mavericks.

I put the following in my Resources folder
    BG Mac mod installer v2_1
    weidu+mavericks (renamed to weidu)
    weinstall+mavericks
    the relevant mod files I am trying to install

When I double click BG Mac mod installer, it opens and I am asked to pick the language. After I select English, I receive this message from the app:

In: /Applications/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app/Contents/Resources/dialog.tlk: Permission denied

Any help? I also have gatekeeper disabled/all apps should have execute permission.

NOTE: I just moved the dialog.tlk file from the lang folder to the Resources folder. Now Mac mod installer asks which mod I want to install, when I select it, I can the same message but now:

In: /Applications/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app/Contents/Resources/setup-kitpack: Permission denied

Thanks for sharing all these insights and help!