Skip to content

MacOS WeiDu Launcher: easy mod installation on Macs!

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @Sean631 - Are you trying to install with the file "setup_bg2tweaks.command"? It needs more than read/write permission; it needs "execute" permission. Get Info doesn't show execute permission.

However, if you're getting "Operation is not Permitted" messages, I wonder if you have write permissions for the Resources directory. Do you have the Beamdog version of BGEE or the Mac App Store version? I think the Mac App Store installs programs with ownership set to 'root'; that would explain why you can't change the permissions of files in the Resources directory.
  • Sean631Sean631 Member Posts: 5
    "AstroBryGuy"- Are you trying to install with the file "setup_bg2tweaks.command"? It needs more than read/write permission; it needs "execute" permission. Get Info doesn't show execute permission.

AstroBryGuy - thanks for getting back to me. I believe I have followed the instructions here to install and run the mods on a Mac. I have Read/Write permissions for the Resource folder (and everything in it).

I am running the "BG Mac mod installer v2_1" When I run it the program gives me a pop up window asking me to "Please Make Your Selection".

I click on the "setup-bg2_tweaks" and get the Permission Denied message from the terminal. This is what it says in the Terminal...

[Macintosh-7:~] seanoconnor% cd '/Applications/Baldur'\''s Gate - Enhanced Edition.app/Contents/Resources/'
    [Macintosh-7:Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app/Contents/Resources] seanoconnor% ./setup-bg2_tweaks
    ./setup-bg2_tweaks: Permission denied.

===========================

I have also tried to run the "chmod" command as suggested in other posts. When I type in "chmod u+x setup-bg2_tweaks" I get the following from the Terminal....

[Macintosh-7:Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app/Contents/Resources] seanoconnor% chmod u+x setup-bg2_tweaks
    chmod: Unable to change file mode on setup-bg2_tweaks: Operation not permitted
    [Macintosh-7:Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app/Contents/Resources] seanoconnor%

============================

However, if you're getting "Operation is not Permitted" messages, I wonder if you have write permissions for the Resources directory. Do you have the Beamdog version of BGEE or the Mac App Store version? I think the Mac App Store installs programs with ownership set to 'root'; that would explain why you can't change the permissions of files in the Resources directory.

I have Mac App store version of BGEE.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sean

I was able to install the mod for the +1 Ankheg armor so I think I have the process down for the mods - I just need to figure out why I cannot give myself permission to run the BG2 Tweaks mod...

Sean
    The BG2_Tweaks mod comes with a bundled version of Weidu named setup-bg2_tweaks. That's an old version of weidu that you don't need if you have a newer version of weidu in your Resources folder. Delete setup-bg2_tweaks and setup-bg2_tweaks.command.
    OKAY - I deleted those files and now the mod appears to run. But when I run the BG2 Tweaks and try to access the rule changes, I get the following fatal error and nothing appears to have changed with the game:

Would you like to display the readme? [Y]es [N]o
    Y

Would you like to display the components from [Cosmetic Changes]?
    [Y]es, [N]o? N

Would you like to display the components from [Content Changes]?
    [Y]es, [N]o? N

Would you like to display the components from [Rule Changes]?
    [Y]es, [N]o? Y

Would you like to display the components from [Convenience Tweaks/Cheats]?
    [Y]es, [N]o? N

Would you like to display the components from [NPC Tweaks]?
    [Y]es, [N]o? N
    ERROR: problem parsing TP file [BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2]: Failure("No rule to identify BG2EE")

FATAL ERROR: Failure("No rule to identify BG2EE")

Press ENTER to exit.

From the read me I thought that this mod would work with BGEE - or am I mistaken?

Thanks for the help so far.

Sean
    edited December 2013
    What versions of BG2 Tweaks and WeiDU are you using? The latest are v14 and v236, respectively. BG2 Tweaks v14 should require at least WeiDU v232.

If you downloaded the version of WeiDU linked on the first page of this discussion thread, that is version v231 and won't work. Get v236 here:

http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/WeiDU-Mac-236.zip
    That did the trick.

Thanks very much for all the help. I never would have figured it out by myself.

Whoo Whoo!!
    AstroBryGuy
  • TheMadVikingTheMadViking Member Posts: 35
    I'm having problem with the SCS v 28 to bg 2 ee on OSX 10.7.5. Im having the latest weidu 236 and are using mac mod installer v 2.1

Normally I don't have problems with the installation of mods. However SCS installation process somehow eludes me.

If I use the mac mod installer v2.1 i get following error.

Larss-MacBook-Pro-3:Resources l_lyskjaer$ ./setup-stratagems
    dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000028
    Trace/BPT trap: 5
    Larss-MacBook-Pro-3:Resources l_lyskjaer$

if I use the "chmod u+x setup-stratagems" command the following error occurs

Larss-MacBook-Pro-3:~ l_lyskjaer$ "chmod u+x setup-stratagems"
    -bash: chmod u+x setup-stratagems: command not found

Help would be appreciated.

Kind regards Lars
    @TheMadViking -

1. There are issues with the binaries for the latest version of weidu and older versions of OS X. The new binaries were compiled on a newer OS X and are not backward compatible. This looks to be that issue.

There is a discussion of the issue at the link below. Stormsaber has also posted a version of weidu compiled on an older version of OS X; you can get it from that discussion.

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,28800.msg333564.html#msg333564

2. Remove the quotemarks (")
    Thanks for the fast reply. I have tried without the (") and still get an error

Larss-MacBook-Pro-3:~ l_lyskjaer$ chmod u+x setup-stratagems
    chmod: setup-stratagems: No such file or directory
    Larss-MacBook-Pro-3:~ l_lyskjaer$

Maybe it is the backwards compatility. I'm really appreciating the help :-)

edited December 2013
    Are you in the Resources directory? Looking at your previous post:

Larss-MacBook-Pro-3:Resources l_lyskjaer$ ./setup-stratagems
    Now, I look at your last post:

Larss-MacBook-Pro-3:~ l_lyskjaer$ chmod u+x setup-stratagems
    It appears that you running chmod from your home directory. You need to be in the Resources directory of the BG2EE app package.

If you don't want to have to muck about with the command line, I added a command to the Mac Mod Installer's script to automatically make the WeiDU program executable. Get it here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80058200/BG Mac mod installer v2_1_MODIFIED.zip
    All my mods and my mod installer are in the Game data/00782/bgIIee/content/resource folder in bg 2ee. I have noticed it and thought It was strange. However I have installed other mods without problems. Strange.

Thank you for you effort. I will use it right away. Awesome job :-)
    One last note. I'm still having trouble with the SCS. Some other mods work. I'm beginning to think it is a backwards compatility problem. maybe an upgrade to maveriks will work. It sounds like it can fix some problems.

If I'm going to use the terminal for SCS my directory is as follows.

Larss-MacBook-Pro-3:~ l_lyskjaer$ Larss-MacBook-Pro-3:~ l_lyskjaer$ cd '/Applications/Baldur'\''s Gate II - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00782/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app/Contents/Resources/'./setup-stratagems

Is this the right way to do it in terminal or should it be:

Larss-MacBook-Pro-3:~ l_lyskjaer$ Larss-MacBook-Pro-3:~ l_lyskjaer$ cd '/Applications/Baldur'\''s Gate II - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00782/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app/Contents/Resources/'./chmod u+x setup-stratagems

I think I may have been a little to quick with the terminal in the last post. My bad.

Again I'm thankful for your help.

I think I know what is going on. SCS ships with a weidu binary named 'setup-strategems'. Its a copy of the binary that doesn't work on older versions of OS X.

If you upgrade to Mavericks, it should work ok, but if you don't want to do that, here's what to do:

1. Download stormsaber's weidu binary for older versions of OSX from the pocketplane forum. Copy the weidu program from there to '/Applications/Baldur'\''s Gate II - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00782/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app/Contents/Resources/'

2. Remove SCS' setup-strategems binary (or rename it):

3. Run Mac Mod Installer. It should now create a symlink to the weidu binary called setup-strategems.

• squidddsquiddd Member Posts: 7
    I am confused about how to use this installer, can anyone help me?
    First, under Applications/BGEE and BGIIEE, there is no gamedata folder, instead, I have to show contends right there to see any further informations.
    Second, when I run the weidu binary downloaded from dropbox, It just show a lot of arguments that I can input, but it does not ask me the language I am using, nor which mod I want to install. The version of that weidu is 23017.
    Can anyone please tell me what is going on here? Thanks.
    Start by reviewing the first post of this thread:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/17717/tool-easy-mod-installer-for-os-x/p1

I added a command to the Mac Mod Installer's script to automatically make the WeiDU program executable. Get it here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80058200/BG Mac mod installer v2_1_MODIFIED.zip

Follow the instructions below (updating @subtledoctor's Mac Mod Installer directions for BG2EE):

Step 1: Find your BG2EE "Resources" folder. Usually, your install is at /Applications/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00782/. You should see an app there, named "BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app". Right-click on that, choose "show package contents," and go into /Contents/Resources/. Put the Mac Mod Installer app in that folder.

Step 2: Get a copy of Mac WeiDU here:

http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/WeiDU-Mac-236.zip

Note: If you are running an older version of OS X, you may need the binary compiled for older versions found on the pocketplane forums:

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,28800.msg333564.html#msg333564

Unzip the file and copy the 'weidu' program into your 'Resources' directory.

Step 3: Unzip the mod download file and copy the mod files into your 'Resources' directory. If the mod comes with its own setup-MODNAME file, don't copy that. It's likely an old version of weidu, unless it's a recently updated mod like SCS.

Step 4: Double-click the Mac Mod Installer app to run it.
    @AstroBryGuy

Eureka!! Thank you for the link to Stormsaber's weidu. SCS now works proberly. Again I thank you for your help. It really is appreciated. I love this forum :-)

AstroBryGuy
  • vallencefirevallencefire Member Posts: 1
    i cant open the file, as the program is from unidentified developer. Im using mac ox maverick
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    Can anyone let me know how to install the Kelsey mod? the download file uses a .dmg extension as opposed to just an far file like most of the others and so I'm not sure how this will work with the installer.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @vallencefire Just right click the file and tell OSX to run it anyway.
    CrevsDaakAstroBryGuy
    Scooter said:

Can anyone let me know how to install the Kelsey mod? the download file uses a .dmg extension as opposed to just an far file like most of the others and so I'm not sure how this will work with the installer.

A .dmg file appears as a drive on your desktop when you open it, but the mod files should still be in the Resources directory when you install.

One question - are you installing this on BG2:EE or BG2? The Mac downloads linked from pocket plane are v2.1, but v3 is the BG2:EE compatible version. If you have BG2:EE, you should install v3.

Scooter said:

A .dmg file appears as a drive on your desktop when you open it, but the mod files should still be in the Resources directory when you install.

One question - are you installing this on BG2:EE or BG2? The Mac downloads linked from pocket plane are v2.1, but v3 is the BG2:EE compatible version. If you have BG2:EE, you should install v3.
    Yeah sorry you're right the .dmg file was version 2 but the v3 is just a .exe file that I can't seem to do anything with even in the resources folder. And yes I'm using BG2EE.
    It looks like some sort of Windows installation program rather than just an archive of the mod files... Ugh. The installer might be able to run under Wine, but I'm not sure.

Maybe the author can provide you a zip archive of the mod files?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    If it's an archive just download The Unarchiver from the app store and it will deal with it.
    edited December 2013
    mlnevese said:

If it's an archive just download The Unarchiver from the app store and it will deal with it.

That was my first thought, but unfortunately, it isn't. The zip archive contains an actual Windows installation program that extracts and copies the files into the BG2 - SoA directory and runs weidu. Unarchiver can see the files, but there's something non-standard about the way its packed and it fails to extract the files.

• WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    Yeah, Kelsey is packaged in the infamous NSIS self-extracting archive (which PPG is fond of using). You can (should be able to) run it on Wine and extract it that way.
    All good AstroBryGuy helped me sort it :)
  • BARBAROSSABARBAROSSA Member Posts: 17
    How do I deal with "xyz is a directory" problem?
    edited December 2013

How do I deal with "xyz is a directory" problem?

You'll have to be more specific about the issue you are having. What are you trying to do?

• BallspawnBallspawn Member Posts: 1
    I have the same "xyz is a directory" problem, so let me try to run it through step-by-step.

BG2EE: Mac App Store version
    WeiDU: 236
    OSX-app-installer: 2.1 by @subtledoctor with execute modifier by @AstroBryGuy

With Resources set to Read & Write, my base setup looks like this:

Now I unpack the mod Tales of the Deep Garden into the Resources directory and get this:

Running the Installer app, and choosing first English, then setup-ToTDG:

...gives the "is not a directory" error.

I noted that the script created a new symlink to Setup-ToTDG:

But I don't understand modding with WeiDU enough to make sense of it. Can you help?