Skip to content

Toughest of the solo bounty hunters?

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Onestep said:

I guess I'm the only person who never really has a problem with Tarnesh?

How do you figure? At the moment, he's ahead in the poll, by miles for everyone except Nimbul.
  • Smoke_JaguarSmoke_Jaguar Member Posts: 24
    Tarnesh

I usually don't do the mines until level 4-ish so Nimbul is usually easy to dispose of.
  • OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    jackjack said:

Onestep said:

How do you figure? At the moment, he's ahead in the poll, by miles for everyone except Nimbul.
    That's what I'm saying. I don't find him very challenging at all.

Unless you were joking. Tone doesn't carry across very well on the internet.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390

Also, I know this isn't really a bounty hunter, but it is an early solo fight: Silke

She always gets off lightning bolt and just destroys someone. According to eeKeeper she is a level ten (10!!!) bard

I find her harder than any of the others to be honest.

Holy crap. 10d6 Lightning Bolt against a level 1 party? That's some straight up wacky game balance right there.

This run when I fought her I wasn't able to finish her before she got the Lightning Bolt off, but Charname actually made the save (14 vs spell) and took 6 damage (at 7 max HP!)- now that I know her level, that's an incredibly lucky roll- something on the order of a 2% chance of survival if I did my math right (7/20 chance of saving multiplied by .067 chance of the roll being below 7).

...The lightning bolt then ricocheted off of a building and killed two of the innocent gem guys. I still got thanked by the lone survivor for the rescue, though.
    Onestep said:

jackjack said:

Onestep said:

That's what I'm saying. I don't find him very challenging at all.

Unless you were joking. Tone doesn't carry across very well on the internet.
    Nope, I just never learned to read, apparently.
    *hangs head in shame*
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    @mitchfork whenever she shoots it (usually destroys Imoen or kills/leaves Khalid with minimal health running around in circles) I think about where it ended up. Its in the middle of a crowded town! For all we know poor old Firebead is off for a stroll to the bookstore when ZAP thats it. She has to be the most evil character around.

I think one time I survived the lightning bolt then it came back around killed one of my NPCs AND Silke herself.

I looked her up now: she knows Improved Invisibility. At a time when your characters shoot one measley magic missile.
  • JonutsJonuts Member Posts: 9
    I voted the Friendly Arm person for the simple fact that I died to that jerk probably 20 times when I first played this game at a friends house. Didn't help that I used all my potions and lost Xzar/Monty to a bear before I got there.

Now that I know how to play though, none of them are remotely dangerous.
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    Tarnesh is tough if you play solo.
    If i play an arcane caster he is ultra easy (just use shield and he cannot do anything. Shield also destroys nimbul by the way), if you play a backstabber, just pray you will hit and kill him. For everything else, i just avoid the fight until i can protect myself against fear.

Neira is also hard unless you have a cleric with you (command...)

Nimbul is weak (unless you fight him with no hitpoints, spells remaining)

• TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    I think I'd roll Tarnesh for the sheer amount of times he's made me reload. I don't attack him when neutral, as my character doesn't know he's going to turn out to be crazy, so... I go talk to him, allowing him generally to get off horror and send half my party panicking. If Imoen's okay, I certainly use her probably stolen wand, but if she's not, that's lost as she runs around like a maniac as Tarnesh switches over to magic missile.

Nimbul has probably caused me the more overall frustration, though, simply due to me forgetting he's there, stumbling back to Nashkel after the Amazons and all the kobolds and their leader, and me going poof. Bah, Nimbul. Bah.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    Tarnesh probably ended more no-reload runs for me than other bounty hunters together.

For me, the result of the first attempt of Tarnesh fight always define the following:

1) this particular Charname has a chance in the future
    2) this particular Charname will likely disappoint me

I have a habit to evaluate if my character is good enough when this battle is won without a need to reload.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited January 2014
    I hate Nimbul with a passion. In my previous scs game he petrified and then gibbed Imoen with a two chromatic orbs in one sequencer. (I think I have increased the levels of enemy mages before installation so I am to blame) And I play no reload. I really missed Immy in that playthrough! And killing Nimbul felt bittersweet.
    @nano
    Shank DID just end my 81 point real-life ability scores run. I must confess, I "reloaded", (I hadn't yet actually saved).
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    karlat, he's just so tanky. so much AC, so much HP, grandmastery with axes. i plain don't go in the red sheaf inn because of him and the only saving grace is that there's no real need to go in there anyway.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Neira wins by a small margen, mostly because I usually take a more or less straight route to the Friendly Arm, and then on to Nashkel. So the party is still level 1 or 2 when we meet her, making her a hard adversary for a low-level party.

Nimbul is a harder opponent but by the time I fight him, the party has done a few side quests plus obviously the Nashkel Mines and is level 3 or 4, maybe even 5.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    I have a deep, deep, DEEP hate for Neira and her hold person spell.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Tarnesh. He could have just as easily been level 3, gotten 1 less magic missile per cast, and been a whole lot more manageable.
  • OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    edited January 2014
    bengoshi said:

Tarnesh probably ended more no-reload runs for me than other bounty hunters together.

For me, the result of the first attempt of Tarnesh fight always define the following:

1) this particular Charname has a chance in the future
    2) this particular Charname will likely disappoint me

I have a habit to evaluate if my character is good enough when this battle is won without a need to reload.

That's not really fair, given that at level 1 or MAYBE 2, you're still praying to the most powerful god of all every turn- the Random Number God.
    Post edited by Onestep on
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Nimbul. After returning from the Nashkel mines, being all beaten and tired, you go towards the inn thinking "Alright, time to get some rest finally." Nimbul is like: "No, you won't."
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Sarevok should have hired Boba Fett.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited January 2014
    Awong124 said:

Sarevok should have hired Boba Fett.

So he could look really cool for one movie, fly in a jet-pack, and then get killed by accident?
    Post edited by booinyoureyes on
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    And then it turns out all the bandits are his clones, but for some reason can't hit a thing with their bows...
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315

the amazons weren't solo, but they were definitely the toughest for me. Especially if you exit the mines right after beating Mulahey's skeleton army and have low health/no spells

I remember Imoen scouted area to the west and only found some wild dogs that went down quickly before
    i wanted to head north.It was a hell of a surprise when i walked straight into a hail of arrows and all kinds of crazy spell casting.With no haste you will lose that battle every time.
    @bengoshi, backstabbing tarnesh is clearly metagaming but casting shield in advance also is.

not doing any of these "tactics" (not much possibility at level 1) results in a pure luck battle, (basically reloading until you interrupt him or make the save against horror).

You can also chose not to fight him at low level but that's also metagaming

I clearly prefer to metagame a little rather than turn the game into a reload feast.
  • lelag200lelag200 Member Posts: 125
    edited January 2014
    Surprised that Karlat is so ignored. Possibly because he's not right in your way? Either way, I find him as difficult as Tarnesh. Walking into the Red Sheaf still on level 1 with only scale mail is asking for a quick death.
  • broonofmidoribroonofmidori Member Posts: 32
    I definitely say Tarnesh, especially with scs. When he starts with mirror image and about the only thing that can interrupt him in the begging is if a command hits. Otherwise he just sleeps/horrors in the beginning and you just get killed with MM or he beats you to death with his quarterstaff.
  • Cthulhus_MumCthulhus_Mum Member Posts: 9
    What level is prot fear? I've never really used it, but I would suggest it could be roleplayed without feeling as much like metagaming before tarnesh:

Your foster father has been killed. He instructed you to make haste to the Friendly Arm In, where you will meet friends of his, but he gave those instructions before meeting his untimely end just outside Candlekeep. As you approach the walls of the inn, your stomach flutters, and you look for a way to calm your fears...

(Well, it seems more reasonable to me than chunking the first dude to approach your party without waiting for him to speak first, anyway...)
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367

What level is prot fear?

Level 1 for Clerics, Bards, Cavaliers. Level 3 (level 2 spell) for mages if you can find a scroll. Or you could chug that potion of clear mind if you got it from Winthrop's second floor.
    Protection from fear may not save you against the 3 magic missiles he casts just after.