Skip to content

Buy the App Store version or the Beamdog one?

The title says it all. I played BG on my Mac when it first came out and always enjoyed the mods. (Except for getting TuTu to install; that was a lot of work that I will not miss!) From reading this forums it seems that the App Store version might have problems with mods? Any thoughts? Have people had luck installing working mods with both versions? Is there any real difference?

Comments

• SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    I went for the beamdog version because of the faster release cycle of patches and independance from apple reviews. Just look at the ipad section on how that is going at the moment for the ipad version...
    Qbert[Deleted User]CrevsDaak
  • DelDel Member Posts: 44
    Go Beamdog. Still no update for Mac Store version.
    [Deleted User]
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Go with Beamdog.

1. As mentioned above, you get patches faster (no waiting for Apple to review it and update the App Store)
    2. App Store installed apps are 'owned' by the root user. So, if you want to install mods, you have to go into the app and change write permissions. The Beamdog version is owned by your user account (or whatever user account you used to install it).
    [Deleted User]
  • Rollingd20sRollingd20s Member Posts: 11
    Thanks, all. Beamdog it is then. I don't mind chown-ing/chmod-ing files and directories, but I definitely don't want out of date software that is difficult to update.
  • eastbayraeeastbayrae Member Posts: 3
    I had issues with the download of the Beamdog version. I gave up on it. I opened the App Store one day and saw there was a download for it, so I started the download. After downloading it the App Store version wouldn't install so I tried the Beamdog version again and it finally worked.
  • jankmasterjankmaster Member Posts: 41
    how do you change the file permission? I have the app store version so I need help!