Skip to content

Irrational love for particular spells.

Comments

• mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    edited January 2014
    There is so many spells that i love :
    - level 1 magic missile (come on guys, chromatic orb is fun when the enemy fails the save, but 95% of the time, a magic missile is much better) : useful from the begining of BG1 until the end of TOB (ok i am exaggerating a little)
    - level 2 : web. Insanely powerful when you play solo and have a free action ring. Cast 2-3 of these and nobody can move. Proceed then to kill them with whatever you want (spiders are nice for that)
    - Level 3 MMM : I cannot understand people that do not use that spell. Late game it is not that useful (thaco is to bad) but early game it turns your mage into the best archer and allows you to tackle some tough ennemies very early on
    - Level 4 : stoneskin. I have it active all the time (as anyone i guess)
    - Level 5 : animate dead. level 15 is one the most important breakpoint for an spell caster. From that point, you can just summon 2-3 skellies and shred most monsters to pieces without breaking a sweat
    - Level 6 : death spell. Umber hulks, mind flayers,...
    - Level 7 : project image. I hate resting. With project image you almost never have to.
    - Level 8 : horrid witling : once you get it, the game is almost over
    - Level 9 : time stop : now, the game is over
    Post edited by mumumomo on
  • SouldancertnSouldancertn Member Posts: 45
    I'm joining the chromatic orb-loving party. It's almost too good a spell. In one of my games, Imoen was the official dragon killer. Pop a Greater Malison, a Doom from Jaheira (don't know how much that spell contributed, but it seemed like a good idea), and Chromatic Orb insta-killed dragons. It was almost too easy.
    Crappy spells are not popular, that's it.

On Chromatic orb :
    If i make no mistake :
    - doom + greater malison yields a -6 penalty to saves
    - Chromatic orb gives a +6 penalty to save

Therefore the dragon (or anything else) would have to roll a normal save. I don't know how much is the save of a dragon but i doubt it is much higher than 3-4. Therefore, unless you get very lucky, you just wasted 2 rounds of casting for nothing.

Feel free to correct me if i am wrong (i am not 100% sure of the facts)
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    mumumomo said:

Crappy spells are not popular, that's it.

On Chromatic orb :
    If i make no mistake :
    - doom + greater malison yields a -6 penalty to saves
    - Chromatic orb gives a +6 penalty to save

Therefore the dragon (or anything else) would have to roll a normal save. I don't know how much is the save of a dragon but i doubt it is much higher than 3-4. Therefore, unless you get very lucky, you just wasted 2 rounds of casting for nothing.

Feel free to correct me if i am wrong (i am not 100% sure of the facts)

The four SoA dragons have a Save vs. Spell of 6 (30% death chance) so it's not an unreliable tactic considering you've got 4-5 Chromatic Orbs to fling. Sometimes you'll strike out but you only need one character spamming Orbs, the others can still be fighting the dragon normally (unless it's a solo run).
    Thanks for the info

Damn they have bad saving throws...
  • CandleBesideCandleBeside Member Posts: 38
    edited January 2014
    Draw Upon Holy Might. The visual and the soundeffect with the chorus are lovely :).
  • mement0mement0 Member Posts: 105
    edited January 2014
    Defensive Harmony. Subtle but game changing.

From the high level spells I have to go for Timestop. Cz I am a sucker for time related spells. As a child I used to play second edition rules with an unofficial book that added a Time Domainl of Magic.
  • ShadowTigerShadowTiger Member Posts: 60
    I am partial to finger of death on my necromancer. I just love the concept of pointing your finger at someone and shooting them full of red electricity that kills them.

Snillocs snowball swarm is a cool spell I think it is much more fun to use than fireball even if it is less effective.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Black Blade of Disaster. That spell is not the best, even if it has it uses (killing some immune ennemies with the level drain / Backstabbing) but it is so damn cool.

You summon your own blade of pure dark destruction to slain your ennemies, so badass.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I actually have an irrational love for haste. I used to cast it just so my characters can run around faster and then rest because I am impatient. Now I just cluaconsole in some boots of speed :)

My memory is a little hazy but; Fireshield red + fire shield blue = fire shield purple. So purdy :3

The Kelsey NPC mod adds fireshield green!
    Now if we can find a yellow, pink and black...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7pHy2MB6HM
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @booinoyureyes Sphere of Chaos for me and Prismatic Spray for Neera.
    Besides Ice Storm for Sarevok (FEEL ITS ICY BREATH!) since that spell is killer in low levels SoA, throw one, lock the door (and your enemies will be able to sing "ALL DEAD, ALL DEAD" with Freddy Mercury).
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Since I'm an Invoker/Evoker at heart, I'm going to go with:

Level 1: Magic Missile, although Chromatic Orb is close
    Level 2: Web PERIOD (Agannazar's scorcher is my distant second)
    Level 3: I love Fireball and Lightning Bolt here
    Level 4: Ice Storm even though I rarely find a time to use it
    Level 5: Cloudkill is fun, Sunfire as well, although its usually a last ditch spell
    Level 6: Chain lightning

Oh heck pretty much if it is an evocation spell, I love it.
    @Dragonspear I like your style :)
    @Booinyoureyes

Btw I just finished the Cold Days earlier. Now I'm stuck waiting till May like the rest of you dresdin lovers
    so thats why you like Invokers @Dragonspear !
    Nah I enjoyed them before the Dresdin files. I've always leaned to the more upfront elemental destructive magic