Skip to content

Sad Blackguard with his Stronghold.

Rylorn23Rylorn23 Member Posts: 77
Greetings to all the players and fans of the Baldur's Gate Series! I am one of those, who played BG, IWD and NWN Series all my years. But Baldur's Gate was always one of my favorite game in my childhood, and it was always amazing. More, while I played with the mods. Like Ascension and BG NPC Project. My favorite class was Paladin. But now, when Beamdog released a Blackguard kit, it started to be very interesting.:)

However, what troubles me very much is, that the blackguard gets a fighter stronghold.:(

I was hoping, that he could gets some alternative version of Paladin Stronghold. Like siding with Firkraag and become his unholy lieutenant with goal to destroy an order of the Radiant Heart. Or he could gets a Talos Temple Stronghold and become a champion of Talos. And with the help of his new patron "Talos", he could strike down all the servants of Lathander in the Temple District.

I get this idea, when I learned, that he has the de'Arnise Keep. And I don't think, that is a good idea to give him this Stronghold. When he becomes such an intolerant tyrant, they will kicked him out of the fortress. And that's one of the reasons, why it is not good to give him this one.

What do you guys think? Do you think I am right or not?
Post edited by Jalily on
reddwarfFafnirPluc082Edwin_OdesseironQuartzCrevsDaakEudaemoniumThrasymachusbooinyoureyesNonnahswriterMoradinSwordsNotWordsScooterKidCarnivalEmpyrial

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2013
    To be blunt, I have little fondness for your specific idea, but yes, giving the Blackguard the Fighter stronghold is rather lazy. Same with Monk.
    jackjack
  • Rylorn23Rylorn23 Member Posts: 77
    True. They both could get new stronghold. I hope, there will be some new updates or mods in the future, which will add a correct strongholds for these two. But for now, no one will do something with this at the moment. :/

So I will wait. :)
  • murmandamusmurmandamus Member Posts: 45
    but hey comeone could do this mod ( i have no idea about modding) The monastery for monk could be done using monastery map from IWD 2 right? And BG well here i have no idea.
    I don't now. I just only thought, once he completes the task of cult of the Unseeing Eye which was awarded to him by the high priest of Talos temple in temple district after speaking with Gaal, he will be rewarded by being accepted into the temple like as their champion (not as a cleric). Because the high priest will finds out, that PC is the Blackguard, so it gives them the opportunity to use his services. He gets his own room (like paladin in the radiant heart stronghold), and he will receive tasks from the high priest himself. He can also accomplish the tasks like with the sir Sarles and that quest with the Morning lord's ring (only evil). And after, when he will finish his last quest, he will be rewarded with a helmet and full plate armor +2 only usable by blackguards. Helm will by like helm of glory. Except, that helmet will have different helm model, with the horns like helm04 from BGEE and with a dark color (perhaps 0x53 ??).
    During the tasks, he can also betray his devilish/demonic patron and replace him with a Talos until becoming the god.
    Anyway, his tasks will involve the killing and spying servants of Lathander. He also could have a conflict with the Helm's followers, Order of Aster and Radiant Heart.

I would do something like this, but I have no experience with the mod editors like Near Infinity and Weidu. Of course, I could aslo change the Unholy Reaver abilities. Made them same like Unholy Reaver from Tactics Mod.

Like:
    1d12 +5 ( instead 1d10 +5 )
    immunity to charm and psionic attacks
    Every Hit Dispel Magic ( like Carsomyr :3 ) and not 50% chance!
    +5 bonus damage against good targets

Only usable by Blackguard

I really liked the Unholy Reaver from weidu tactics mod, but his Anti-Paladin kit was unbalanced and it was a Fighter kit, not a paladin.
    And really, if my Blackguard could wield such a blade like this one, Dorn would have to stumble before me and with his Abyssal Blade.

CrevsDaakFinneousPJBanArd
    One thing about that armor and helmet.
    When our blackguard finish his last stronghold quest like kill all people in Lathander's Temple, he obtain these items from the high priest from Talos temple. But I have to invent a name and abilities for this armor and helmet part. These are only ideas.

"Storm Knight's Hatred"

Abilities:
    AC:-1
    30% electrical resistance
    May cast Lighting bolt once per day
    Only usable by Evil

"Conqueror's Arrogance"

Abilities:
    +1 Armor Class
    +1 Charisma
    +2 save vs breath
    Only usable by Evil

I could not figure out about a better name and abilities, but I think this is fine.
    If anyone has a better idea, than someone can write about it.

• ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Rylorn23 said:

I get this idea, when I learned, that he has the de'Arnise Keep. And I don't think, that is a good idea to give him this Stronghold. When he becomes such an intolerant tyrant, they will kicked him out of the fortress. And that's one of the reasons, why it is not good to give him this one.

Who will kick the Blackguard out? The pathetic nobles? They will bow or they will be destroyed. ;)
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    You should sell your soul to Cespenar!
  • HandofTyrHandofTyr Member Posts: 106
    Archaos said:

Rylorn23 said:

Who will kick the Blackguard out? The pathetic nobles? They will bow or they will be destroyed. ;)
    A cool idea with no implementation. Instead of being automatic the revolts maybe should have been battles like with that one guy tries to take your fortress. Or add encounters where the populace pooled their money so they could hire heroes/assassins to kill you, allowing you to make the classic villain insight that you're obviously not taxing them enough if they can afford to hire killers. There needs to be a rule with an iron fist button.
    enqenqSwordsNotWordsGrimjackMV
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    LadyRhian said:

I had the idea to give the Blackguard the cult of the Unseeing Eye area as a stronghold. You do slay their God, after all. Slay their god… replace him in their eyes (so to speak)?

This would be awesome.
    jackjackMoczoCrevsDaak
  • MoczoMoczo Member Posts: 236
    LadyRhian said:

I had the idea to give the Blackguard the cult of the Unseeing Eye area as a stronghold. You do slay their God, after all. Slay their god… replace him in their eyes (so to speak)?

You could still make them cut out their eyes. Not for any particular benefit, just because it's funny to your black soul.
  • egonegon Member Posts: 94
    Moczo said:

You could still make them cut out their eyes. Not for any particular benefit, just because it's funny to your black soul.

This made be giggle a bit.

Back on topic, if you want an evil Stronghold there's a mod (think it's the tweak pack) that allows you to get every stronghold regardless of class. So you could give your blackguard the Temple of Talos for example.
    Personally I'm using the income form the d'Arnise Keep to fund my thief guild and then I order my pickpockets to target the rich areas. :D
    Thanks for idea Egon. I already used this option, but not from BG2 tweak pack. ( Becouse it will gives you all strongholds and that's weird. Really? Paladin Stronghold for Blackguard? ) I used some multistronghold mod and I already forgot who made it, but this mod is much better. :)

You have many options which strongholds you want to install.

But there was a bug here: After speaking with Gaal, instead of stormherald Nallabir ("Bhnalla"), only High watcher oisig ("bhoisig") showed up. And when I try speak with him in Temple of Helm, it was not possible to speak with him like he has nothing to say.

So I had no choice, but use cheatconsole. After Speaking with Gaal, I quickly press spacebar after he appeared and before he could say something about that he wants speak to me in temple, I used Ctr+y and summon Nallabil with CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("bhnalla") and it was all fine! Also I had summoned Talon Yarryl ("scyarryl") in temple of Talos for Sir Sarles quest.

So I solved this problems with cheats. But I really want to be treated like some Dark Knight or Champion of Talos, instead pretend that I am Cleric. X(

As a true blackguard, I should do things like lead the army of fiends and undead creatures, burning the villages, kill many humanoids in the name of my patron or Dark god and drain souls of my enemies. But I am just a Bhaalspawn and nobody don't treated with me which alignment, race and class I have correctly. Even Charname doesn't act like that.
    Yeah, Dorn is treated as a half-orc blackguard. While I as bhaalspawn Blackguard, I am treated like godling for Ur-gothoz and Foul one for Bollard in radiant temple. Same for Keldorn while I play as a Paladin.
    Really, that makes me angry. But icewind dale and Neverwinter nights series are much better. PC act that way and everyone recognize which class you have. Baldur's Gate series doesn't have something like this, so that's little stupid.

I am in truth inspired by Blackguard series from Neverwinter nights modules from this page http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=modules.detail&id=3807 .

It was really great story. So I really hoped, that something familiar can I be in BGEE and BG2EE with blackguard kit and have even much better stronghold than this creepy De'arnise keep populated by goody two shoes. Become legendary bhaalspawn blackguard, who slaughter many creatures and people in the sword coast. Kill Sarevok under Baldur's gate city, defeat Jon Irenicus in Hell and take back my soul, and at last become a god of murder and be leaded by Talos as his Subservient deity.

"Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!"

PS: Sorry for my Bad English. :)

FinneousPJ
    Well, the BG2 Tweak Pack allows to recieve all the strongholds but you don't have to. Just refuse the ones you don't like. LIke why the hell would I want the deeds to some crappy theatre? :D

Or you could do the Paladin quests but fail them miserable just to mess with the Order of the Radiant Heart.
    Yeah, but there is no reward for me after failling paladin stronghold. So why should I do that?
    I rather slaughter them and gain some XP.
    Poison druid grove, help firkraag get some paper from Garen and let his child die, hand over Raelis shai to bounty hunter and etc.
    jackjack
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    The theater is the most satisfying of all the strongholds, IMO. To each his/her own.
    booinyoureyes
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

-Lavok and The Cowled Wizards thought he was a mage, since he had installed Rogue rebalancing and was casting level 7 spells

Fourth wall! Fourth Wall!!
    booinyoureyes
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    sounds like you took the Use Any Stronghold HLA...

actually, that would be a great bard-only HLA! Impersonate - you can claim to be anyone, and people will buy it. A bit of makeup and a couple illusions and you could even walk into Ust Natha without a second glance.
    jackjackbooinyoureyes
    jackjack said:

The theater is the most satisfying of all the strongholds, IMO. To each his/her own.

Yeah, it is an interesting quest line, just doesn't fit my current playthrough. Perhaps some other time.

Alright, I tried testing gameplay as evil blackguard with vanilla party ( no Dorn and Hexxat is weak than Jan ). I poisoned water of the grove and that bitch Jaheira turn against me. Just for the look. That was something, what a real blackguard should do. Next time I will pick Anomen and make him fall his test.

• GrimjackMVGrimjackMV Member Posts: 151
    HandofTyr said:

Archaos said:

Rylorn23 said:

A cool idea with no implementation. Instead of being automatic the revolts maybe should have been battles like with that one guy tries to take your fortress. Or add encounters where the populace pooled their money so they could hire heroes/assassins to kill you, allowing you to make the classic villain insight that you're obviously not taxing them enough if they can afford to hire killers. There needs to be a rule with an iron fist button.
    I agree, would have loved a chance to suppress the revolt for evil alignment characters.
  • marilithmarilith Member Posts: 25
    yeah it's bad that blackguard don't have its own castle

i have written on blackguard kit here

https://darksideofrpgs.blogspot.com/2018/12/blackguard-kit-introduced-by-beamdog.html
    GrimjackMV
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I'm okay with the D'Arnise keep for the blackguard. You have the option to be a super jerk in that stronghold. Raise those taxes all the way!
    AaeightStummvonBordwehrCrevsDaak
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    edited January 2019
    In my current modded install my LE Blackguard ended up with the Helm stronghold for some reason. They didn't mind his harsh dictates :).
    CrevsDaak