Skip to content

Aerie as a Vampire

Comments

• CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282

Anyone else think its cruel how Haer-Dalis keeps talking about birds in front of a girl who lost her wings?

She doesn't seem to mind; she says she likes it. I think she knows people like birds and bird metaphor; I think she's used to it for the most part.
    Twani said:

This is major spoilers for TOB-

*beep beep beep*

- Is it normally allowed, or is it Ascension added that you can gift Aerie back her wings with your god essence at the ToB final? I know my characters have gotten the option, but I don't know if it's always there or if it was added with Ascension, as I always play with Ascension. She accepts if your character is good, and turns it down if they're evil, IIRC.

Don't know about ascension, but you definitely can offer to on ascending to godhood. She's not that excited about it IIRC. She thinks it would mean losing you, and besides I think she has gotten used to living without them.

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

The rules of AD&D are secondary to the Rule of Telling a Good Story

So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    a bard understands!
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited January 2014
    Actually there is a spell, even more powerful than wish, that can restore her wings... sorta...
    Power word: Console

C:CreateItem("WINGS01")

@booinyoureyes whoops I had the wrong item file name, fixed
    doesn't work!
    edited January 2014
    Here is the item in question:

On Aerie they look golden. Although if you do add them to Aerie's inventory, she won't know of course.

I noticed it in BG1:EE. It still exists in 2, although the name and description doesn't. According to the BG1 description they're just basically props/dummies.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    @Coutelier actually the color is simply the characters hair color. Using EE keeper you can change a NPCs hair color and consequently the wings color too. It only shows up on elf characters.

I actually haven't done a playthrough with Aerie yet since discovering the wing file, but I plan on editing a helm (maybe Gift of Peace) to use the wings appearance.

@Coutelier actually the color is simply the characters hair color. Using EE keeper you can change a NPCs hair color and consequently the wings color too. It only shows up on elf characters.

I actually haven't done a playthrough with Aerie yet since discovering the wing file, but I plan on editing a helm (maybe Gift of Peace) to use the wings appearance.

I know. I made a copy of the item because at some point I want to see if I can modify it to change the color without changing the characters hair color.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    The wings were made by Erephine as part of her 1pp mod (original stand-alone version can be viewed here) - presumably they were added to the EEs along with the rest of the 1pp content when the mod was integrated.
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    edited January 2014
    Coutelier said:

Fredjo said:

So unless you are roleplaying an evil character that wants to corrupt Aerie, then I don't see how it might work.

Corruption is all Aerie deserves after prince-syndrome-ing CHARNAME into making her babies
    Yes; if only CHARNAME could have had anything at all to do with it.

He did, most probably a virgin, he fell to her trap all normal guys would keep miles from her, though now I'm talking too IRL, I too play with Aerie sometimes because of the depth of her character development
    Fredjo said:

Coutelier said:

Fredjo said:

So unless you are roleplaying an evil character that wants to corrupt Aerie, then I don't see how it might work.

Corruption is all Aerie deserves after prince-syndrome-ing CHARNAME into making her babies
    Yes; if only CHARNAME could have had anything at all to do with it.

He did, most probably a virgin, he fell to her trap all normal guys would keep miles from her, though now I'm talking too IRL, I too play with Aerie sometimes because of the depth of her character development
    Normal guys are never that lucky IRL... er, I mean, I think you're ascribing to her motives that there's no evidence for.

Although Anomen is plainly working for Irenicus as a honey trap.
  • RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
    edited January 2014
    Ah yes, how fun it is when the high magic nature of the universe is only used when it is convenient to the plot. Have Irenicus rip your divine essence out of you, why, that's so easy!
    Regenerating a lost limb with a spell especifically created for that purpose? Preposterous!
    Also, Jaheira's lines about raising Khalid from the dead are nonsense. "Magic can't fix everything!"
    Ha, has she taken a look around lately? Her entire world is bleeding with magic, even her damn forests.
    Forced permadeaths, lost wings, in the end it's all in the name of forced drama.
    Coutelier said:

On Aerie they look golden. Although if you do add them to Aerie's inventory, she won't know of course.

I noticed it in BG1:EE. It still exists in 2, although the name and description doesn't. According to the BG1 description they're just basically props/dummies.

how the....what the...........huh?
    how dud u get those?

Coutelier said:

how the....what the...........huh?
    how dud u get those?
    I found them by accident when I was using EEKeeper and looking at helms. I don't believe they are used in the games anywhere.

The screenshot is from a mod I'm working on; I decided to use them in an encounter if you have Aerie in your party.

ooooh ooooh make the mod make the mod!

ooooh ooooh make the mod make the mod!

I'm doing it.

That parts done... well, I say done. There's probably more I could do with it and I'll continue making small changes to the dialogue for a while, but anyway for now it's just really a small encounter you can have in Umar Hills with Aerie.

edited January 2014
    I just got em... they look so awesome (golden)

I wish they had magical properties. Also not a fan of helmet... would be better as a cloak or a robe

Really looking forward to any mod that gets Aerie her wings back! Is that part of yours, @Coutelier ?
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    It'd be cool if they were in the robe slot. That way you could give them some awesome powers to make up for losing the robe of Vecna without making them feel overpowered. It'd also give her some unique features, as right now I think she's just a standard cleric/mage. And it provides an RP opportunity as an eeeevil character would refuse to give her back her wings so she could be a more powerful caster with the robe.
    edited January 2014

I just got em... they look so awesome (golden)

I wish they had magical properties. Also not a fan of helmet... would be better as a cloak or a robe

Really looking forward to any mod that gets Aerie her wings back! Is that part of yours, @Coutelier ?

No plans to do that at the moment. Giving them to Aerie right now would be purely aesthetic in any case with no real benefit or practical use (not to mention would have significant impact on all her existing banters and dialogues throughout the games). There's also a warning in the link @Shin posted that they might cause problems with robes and other equipment you might give her.
    ahhhh....
    it would be cool if you could only get it LATE game, like late TOB.
    Maybe it could be a permanent haste item? Too 'imitate' flying? (improved haste maybe... put way too strong!)
    ooh, maybe like boots of speed but in the robe slot. I think there's already an armor that does that so it should have something else to make it useful. Improved Haste is a nice idea, she doesn't get that many attacks to begin with so it won't be crazy powerful. or... maybe make her immune to traps and lava because she floats over them? it's hard to come up with something that really fits.
    edited January 2014

ahhhh....
    it would be cool if you could only get it LATE game, like late TOB.
    Maybe it could be a permanent haste item? Too 'imitate' flying? (improved haste maybe... put way too strong!)

Maybe. Like I say, I think Aerie's development is that she lost her identity, but she creates a new one for herself (dubbing herself the wingless wonder or whatever). Not that I would be opposed to her getting wings back later on. And maybe she could use them to effectively 'teleport' herself short distances, although there aren't many circumstances that would be handy... I've thought about it.

Although there would have to be changes to some dialogue, and epilogues. I can't imagine she would go back to the avariel even then, since her beliefs and outlook are still completely changed and her own people are now far more alien to her than anything on the ground. So she'd still find herself living on the surface with the gnomes anyway, although she'd be able to visit her family more often I suppose.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited January 2014
    Make it cast a silence spell before she finds something else to complain about.
    ooh, that's gonna earn a paddlin from @Coutelier...
    jackjack said:

Make it cast a silence spell before she finds something else to complain about.

We're talking about Aerie; she's quiet most of the time anyway. She only complains about quite big things like slavery and being kidnapped and stripped of her identity (one time she complains about being tired, but she drops and carries on pretty quick regardless of what you say), which are kind of up there on the list of things people are entitled to complain about. And even then, only really if you keep encouraging and asking her.
    nano said:

ooh, that's gonna earn a paddlin from @Coutelier...

Well, if by paddlin you mean telling the truth, then maybe.
  • DoorDieDoorDie Member Posts: 13
    edited January 2014
    I'd be more interested in having joinable vampires in general if there were actually more development on vampires as NPC's. Hexxat doesn't quite go far enough for me, being nerfed and unconvincing. [EDIT: Valen looks a bit more like what I'd expect.]

Also, my memory is admittedly poor at times, but I am quite certain that in this ruleset undead cannot gain experience or advance in levels like they did in their adventuring life. On Athas, Dregoth died as a level 29 Dragon and spent thousands of years in undeath on his own quest for godhood because he could no longer complete his transformation into a level 30 Dragon. As I understand it, this was not a departure of Dark Sun from normal undead rules but rather a symptom of the fact that an undead monster does not possess the same capacity to grow and develop as they did in life. The DMG mentions briefly the loss of adventuring ability at level 0 from energy drain and subsequent undead servitude but unfortunately does not say much about when a character is freed from said servitude.

So I wouldn't want Aerie to advance as a cleric/mage in her unlife; rather she should begin as a vampire and gain powers and abilities they would normally receive. This would be a new "class," and the progression would work like dual classing with the former classes being already active. The mod would work well with the storyline being extendable to all characters involved in the Bodhi romance encounter. I don't think that by chapter 6 a real vampire in the party would be overpowered, and the evil option of allowing the vampirism to take hold of your beloved should have a powerful result.

These are thoughts in a vacuum from the implementation, which I realize would probably be difficult, complicated, and incredibly unlikely. Something more along these lines would be nice, though.
    Post edited by DoorDie on
  • AnprionsaAnprionsa Member Posts: 106
    I like that, and really agree. I didn't really place the class aspect at the forefront of my thinking. I just wanted to see it explored on a character that was taken by Bodhi (admittedly Aerie first and others as well, mostly because I love her character).
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Vampires can advance by levels as normal, according to FR and Ravenloft, IIRC. I don't have a quote to go by, but I know Ravenloft vampires advance in level, and that specific Ravenloft vampire is based off a FR character, so I'm pretty sure. Vampires not growing is more a product of Vampire the Masquerade and White Wolf then D&D.

I don't know, though. As I said- if I was going to go by 'a character gets corrupted my vampirehood', Aerie wouldn't be the first one I chose. She has a lot on her plate, and generally has the incorporable pure pureness aspect going for her. Jaheira and Anomen would be better, and Nalia and Valygar would be better then them, I think.