Skip to content

Serious warning : you miss quite critical information.

aldolaldol Member Posts: 17
ranged weapons suffer from +4 penalty to ac when attacked by melee and suffer from +8 Thac0 penalty in melee.

it is very very very very very seriously important information to all gamer. isn't it?

BUT there is nowhere explaining about it. (it is not in the manual and the game)

this information was explained original game loading screen (when I was young, I had seen this and remembered barely after my character died).
loading screen is gone on EE now and THIS information is also gone together, but this mechanism exists even now.

It must be explained at the manual and game tutorial. why does player suffer from hidden game mechanism?
you beamdog should explain this before the newbie suffer from hidden mechanism.

edited - additional explanation

smart person could use composit longbow in melee because composit longbow has better Damage Per Round ( (1d6+2) x 2 rate of fire and additional 1 thac0 ) at early game stage than other early game weapons (even better than two handed sword) unless they actually know the melee penalty.

long sword = 1d8 = 1~8
two handed sword = 1d10 = 1~10
composit longbow = (1d6 +2) * 2 rate of fire = 4~14 (actually better high damage rate)

the player could reasonably use ranged weapon in melee if the player don't know melee penalty.
right?
that's why the penalty should be described.
Post edited by aldol on

Comments

• aldolaldol Member Posts: 17
    edited January 2014
    I wouldn't whine if it is +1 penalty not +4.
    any hidden information else?
    edited January 2014
    Onestep said:

Well, I wouldn't say it's a huge issue. I mean, most people tend to keep archers and other ranged weapon users out of close combat as a matter of course, whether they're aware of this or not.

I remember running CHARNAME and Imoen in circles in early BG around wolves and diseased gibberlings, while whichever one wasn't being chased shot at them.

if it is not properly considered, the player may make wrong decision.
    if there is no penalty, there is few reason that keep archers and other ranged weapon users out of close combat.

this game archers(maybe fighter, ranger) have enough hp and ac.
    I make them step back or SWITCH melee weapon because of the penalty not other reason so it should be described for newbie for good decision.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    People equip ranged weapons precisely to stay out of melee range. I don't see the big, game-breaking deal.
    edited January 2014

People equip ranged weapons precisely to stay out of melee range. I don't see the big, game-breaking deal.

smart person could use composit longbow in melee because composit longbow has better Damage Per Round ( (1d6+2) x 2 rate of fire and additional 1 thac0 ) at early game stage than other early game weapons (even better than two handed sword) unless they actually know the melee penalty.

long sword = 1d8 = 1~8
    two handed sword = 1d10 = 1~10
    composit longbow = (1d6 +2) * 2 rate of fire = 4~14 (actually better high damage rate)

the player could reasonably use ranged weapon in melee if the player don't know melee penalty.
    right?
    that's why the penalty should be described.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    This information could be stated at the bottom of the text for ranged proficiencies. This is a problem, i agree.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    If you are unarmed, that is, no weapon equipped (excluding monks who are never unarmed) enemies get +4 to hit AND damage bonus when in melee. That's why it is so easy to kill commoners with a puny dagger. The +4 damage bonus gets multiplied by backstab too, so you can get obscene amounts of damage when backstabbing an unarmed target.
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    I don't know if this is what I'd call critical information, but of course it should be described in the game.

It's just another example of how badly implemented ranged weapons really are. Not only are they pretty much worse than melee weapons in every single possible way, you also get a penalty if someone's hitting you in melee. I get that it's AD&D, but they didn't follow all the rules anyway. Would it hurt to think just a little bit about balance?

Oh well, old game. I have long since accepted it for what it is. I just have higher expectations of modern games when it comes to balance.
    edited January 2014
    In Baldur's Gate ONE, yes. You really think ranged weapons are good in the sequel? I think they're very far from being OK. The only thing that makes them reasonable is being an Archer and even then a kensai with a throwing weapon can do more damage. Oh, and a kensai reaches higher levels and gains more HLAs...

On top of all that, doesn't ammo still decide the enchantment level? How many +4 arrows and bolts are in the game? None. You're basically forced to use the few weapons that create their own ammo. This of course is not a problem in BG1.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,166
    Ammo is always supposed to determine the enchantment level (per PNP). And yeah, I've played an archer all the way through, there's opponents they aren't a great match for, but that's why you have a team. It's MEANT to be a team sport. That's why soloing is so hard, it's supposed to be hard.
    Is just like any serious strategy game, or real military practice for that matter, there's a certain rock/paper/scissors aspect to every decision. No weapon is meant for every situation, they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Even if you have five pips in long bow, and one in long sword, you have that one in long sword because the day will come when the long sword is the better choice.
    I think it should be described with other strategically important information in the game. that's it.
    we should know how to play in order to play.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I think the implementation of bows is ok. I don't mind that they are strong in BG 1, weak in BG 2. It's no different than mages being weak in BG 1, strong in BG 2. I think of the 2 games as one massive game, so I think about power over the entire saga, rather than an individual game.

I agree with OP that the mechanism should be more transparent.

I roleplay anyway, so most of my archers are one weapon style, and quickly drop their bows and switch to melee weapons when enemies close. I did that even before learning about the penalty. I think the penalty was mentioned in BG 1 Vanilla loading screens.

• golingarfgolingarf Member Posts: 157

In Baldur's Gate ONE, yes. You really think ranged weapons are good in the sequel? I think they're very far from being OK. The only thing that makes them reasonable is being an Archer and even then a kensai with a throwing weapon can do more damage. Oh, and a kensai reaches higher levels and gains more HLAs...

On top of all that, doesn't ammo still decide the enchantment level? How many +4 arrows and bolts are in the game? None. You're basically forced to use the few weapons that create their own ammo. This of course is not a problem in BG1.

I strongly disagree with this. I used ranged weapons alone to kill tons of enemies in BG2, and I never had an Archer. They're just not as overpowering as in BG1, but they have their place. It's a tradeoff between higher damage per round and limiting your exposure to attacks. You can't use them against every enemy, but there's no reason to expose your fighters to a slow-moving or far-away enemy's melee attacks when you don't have to. Even when they don't do the job by themselves, they're often useful just for getting a few hits in before the enemy closes the distance, and occasionally they can disrupt spells, freeing up one of your own mages to cast something more impressive than Magic Missile.
    Oh, and in response to the OP, yes it's a huge problem that that is not mentioned in the documentation. I've been wondering about it myself, thought I figured there must be some kind of penalty. Thanks for informing me.
    edited January 2014
    I don't think Archers are weak, by the way. Actually I think it's a good class, and Called Shot is probably a bit underrated. I just find it a shame that a kensai (who can already do more damage) can equip a throwing weapon and be an archer as well.

In the hands of everyone else, ranged weapons just don't hit hard enough for 2 reasons:

- most don't get strength bonuses
    - piercing is probably the weakest damage type in the game (in some areas fire is pretty bad too though)

Then there's the ammo issue, and it is an issue. Bows would have so much utility if you could use all the weird ammo you find, but eventually you just can't hit with it. They could have at least given us a decent supply of +4 ammo and it would have been OK, but no. Yeah you can get infinite ammo of a type that can't hit the enemies you're facing by the time you get it... I think I read that in Big Whoop Magazine. At least there are a few weapons in the game that create their own ammo, and those weapons I like, naturally.

I think the implementation of bows is ok. I don't mind that they are strong in BG 1, weak in BG 2. It's no different than mages being weak in BG 1, strong in BG 2. I think of the 2 games as one massive game, so I think about power over the entire saga, rather than an individual game.

I understand what you're saying, but (and no offense intended) I disagree very strongly. Ideally I would want every game to be balanced rather than having one imbalance in BG2 making up for another in BG1.

Like I said though, and please keep this in mind before you think I'm going crazy with this: None of this is really a big deal to me. I accepted that the BG series didn't have a big focus on balance and I enjoy them anyway. However, I'm still going to say what I think about it, and I think they messed up the game balance in many ways, with ranged weapons being a very small issue in the grand scheme of things.

PS: I think most of us agree on the actual topic though. Couldn't hurt to put a sentence about the melee penalty in the pages about ranged proficiencies.
    ranged weapons become strong in tob, namely firetooth+5 and bolts of lightning

with the new item, the headband of the devout you can do a lot of damage per hit. you can compare it with a moderately strong two handed weapon in power.
    edited January 2014
    Well, it's not that strong considering it's still 1 APR with no strength bonus. Doesn't it also counts as low enchantment if you use bolts of lightning?

But yeah, it's a good ranged weapon and I always buy it.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    aldol said:

unarmed and ranged weapons suffer from +4 penalty to ac when attacked by melee and suffer from +8 Thac0 penalty in melee.

This should definitely be described somewhere, if it currently isn't.

I'm only aware that there's a penalty from my memories of the loading screens for BG2 - and even then, I was only aware of the AC penalty, not the THAC one.
    edited January 2014
    it's at least 6apr with improved haste i think and 10 with greater whirlwind
    edit: we're talking warrior classes, namely figter/thief
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,166

Ideally I would want every game to be balanced rather than having one imbalance in BG2 making up for another in BG1.

This s the exact thing I disagree with. I like that balance is shifting and fluid. It adds to strategic planning to know that different types characters will be strongest at different points in their careers. Again, it goes to the whole party concept. At different times, in different fights,different characters will have to carry the load. I call that excellent game design.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Well, in both games ranged weapons are overpowered. In BG1 it can be easily denoted: you can have a THAC0 of 14 with the correct combination, even before getting out of Candlekeep.
    But in BG2, it is hidden, but it also happens, mainly with the Big Metal Rod's ammunition, with Firetooth+5 (and also with the Dagger Firetooth+3), with Gesen's Shortbow, Tansheron's Bow, ALL of those are over powered, with the Big Metal Rod's Frag Grenade at the top of it, all this wepons break the game in some way, I mean, in BG2 MMM are ultra-OP at early game, wait, did I've mentioned LICHES? Nope. Neera took down a Lich only with MMM, my M/T PC took down A DEMILICH with MMM (with Time Stop and Improved Haste), I mean, ranged weapons are not a great damage dealing type of weapons, but, hey, I spent all by BG1 profs in longbow because it's OP there, and in BG2 you can't even do something, wait, Long bows are also OP, MUCH MUCH MUCH more in BG2:EE now with those "Arrows+4", it might not be Firetooth+5, but it is something.
    And Frag Grenade on Firetooth+5 and Greater Deathblow + Poison Weapon + Improved Haste = The only reason why I took Dorn (this phrase is a best seller).
    i don't want to talk about ranged weapon balance. this post topic is transparent information offer like ranged weapon melee penalty.
    Alright fine, I'll leave it then, though I disagree soooooo much with the statements above :)
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    I fully agree with CrevsDaak.

Ranged weapon are seriously strong in BG2, especially early in the game :
    - tuigan bow or the magical dart from WK gives you 3 attack per round (without haste, or specialization,...). Combine that with poison weapon and you will just fly through early game
    - MMM is the reason why sorceror have an easy time during ALL BG2 (not only when they get high levels spells). It has both great damage output and great utility.

For the end game, it's true that you probably need some kind of more specialized character (like archer) to compare with the melee powerhouse. But if you want to make the calculation, a 10APR firetoogh on a max level archer gives you the second highest DPS in the game (after kensai), while keeping you out of harm.

As for the orginal topic, sure the information could be more clear. But just watching the dice rolls modifier will tell you that something is wrong.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Look, it's not the 90s any more, we live in the Age of the Steve. Noone reads manuals anyway... :)
    I miss the golden age of manuals though but then that's because I'm a weird person who thrives on details to a point that annoys most other people.

There was a time when you got a huge tome filled to the brim with knowledge and pretty pictures. Now you just get a warning about epilepsy. Game boxes were cooler then, too :)
    yeah a huge tome filled with errors upon errors :D
    Yeah I find it troublesome that the documentation is not reliable. Until I saw this I had actually been shooting bows at close range, because at low level they do more damage! Now I wonder how far away you have to be before the penalties apply - i.e. five feet or ten feet or what?

To address the other issue going on here - I think it's a false choice. You can have both melee and ranged weapons, and use both. It only costs a couple proficiency points that you wouldn't use anyway unless you're a straight fighter dual-wielding two different weapons.