Skip to content

The Tales of Sima Jin - A Noober's Journey in BG 2 (Blind Let's Play Series) COMPLETED

Comments

• Durlag_ThunderaxeDurlag_Thunderaxe Member Posts: 71
    Wow! Takin' down Demogorgon in your first playthrough? Good job! You're becoming quite the grizzle veteran Gater, and Jin and his party are becoming pretty epic.

I tried to kill Demogorgon as well in my first playthrough, cos I thought u had to to escape, but I did the keep way earlier than u, and died so many times I gave up and reloaded and eventually worked out how to get out without fighting.

I killed him quite easily on the second playthrough though and got my revenge good.

A dwarf never forgets a grudge.
    HeindrichbooinyoureyesCrevsDaak
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Congratulations! I watched all three videos.

I kept wondering whether Jin shouldn't have just thrown all those Minute Meteors as fast as possible so he could start helping with the melee, at least during mid to late battle. It looked like things started to turn around in Jin's favor once he started using his sword.

Usually MMM's are a good way to fight, but it seemed like in this particular battle, they were more in the way than they were helping.

Once resistance was lowered enough and the spell protections were stripped, I think Magic Missiles could have helped speed things along. The trick would be timing them, since it looked like Demogorgon was spamming protections.

I noticed that Jaheira had a +6 staff in one of her weapons slots. Immediately after a Breach, she could have done a lot of melee damage with that.

I'm not sure if it was good to berserk Minsc, because the loss of control means he can't drink potions.

Anyhoos, you won, and that's what matters.

Again, congratulations!
    Heindrich
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited January 2014
    @belgarathmth

Thanks :D I am still kinda surprised I pulled it off! I mean, it's DEMOGORGON! lol

What do you mean by "MMM"? I haven't got all the BG terminology yet :)

And yes, you're probably right about Jin's meteors, Celestial Fury is truly awesome. It may just be +3, but the stunning effect is SO useful! And yes, because of my preconceptions about druids and most female characters in fantasy games, I have really underused Jaheira's fighting capabilities, especially given she's the first (and only) in the company to have found a +6 weapon.

Her talents with the Staff of the Ram +6 is now being much appreciated in the battles against the Fire Giants, where I am sometimes hesitant to unload a barrage of spells, since the giants are not particularly subtle foes, but they do hit like tonne of bricks.

Oh and yeah, believe it or not, that was like the first time I tried Minsc' Berserk in BG 2. I tried it in BG 1 with disastrous results (Minsc killing everyone), and didn't dare touch it again. But then I saw Tord regularly use berserk with Korgan, and apparently not have him massacre Lilly and company... also I thought Berserk might help Minsc tank whatever fancy cc spells Demogorgon might throw at him.
    edited January 2014
    MMM means Melf's Minute Meteors.

Minsc's berserk doesn't work like a real berserker's berserk. When Minsc does it, you lose control of him. When Korgan or a player character berserker does it, the player still has complete control.

Pressing the berserk button on Minsc usually works out to suicide, for at least him, and he might take party members with him.
    jackjackHeindrich
    @Heindrich1988, sorry, forgot to tag you in my answer, so you'd know I answered, and unfortunately, we can't tag in edits. Well, we can, but the person won't get a notification.
    edited January 2014
    @belgarathmth
    Ah... I had no idea Minsc' berserk wasn't 'normal'... lol Who knew a maniac like Korgan has more self-restraint.

So Minsc's ability is for flavour? And mostly useless tactically? Cos for weak foes, he doesn't need to use any fancy abilities, but for strong ones, being able to chug potions to stay alive is also kinda important... not to mention not attacking comrades.

ps: Oh and thread owner always gets notification, regardless of tag or not. :)
    BelgarathMTH
    44) The Giant's Fall

After quenching Yaga-Shura's heart with the aid of the Witch of the Glade, Nyalee, Jin and company rush back to Saradush in order to confront Yaga-Shura and lift the siege of the city.

Unfortunately, upon returning to Saradush, Jin discovers that the city had already fallen to the army of Yaga-Shura. With the city ruined and burning, its inhabitants slaughtered, a shocked and furious Jin vows vengeance against the savage giant Bhaalspawn.

Striking with speed and surprise, Jin and his friends come face to face with Yaga-Shura near the ruined walls of the city. Their only hope is to decapitate the leadership of the army and slay the powerful giant, before it overwhelms them through sheer force of numbers and brute strength.

BelgarathMTH
    45) The Drow Bhaalspawn

Having battled through tunnels filled with Drow, Umber Hulks, Derros Slaves and worse, and defeated Sendai's lieutenants and allies, Jin and the company come face to face with Sendai herself.

Though surprised by the speed and decisiveness of Jin's assault, and unable to bring more reinforcements from the front lines back to defend the enclave itself, Sendai holds one more surprise for Jin and his friends...

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Heindrich, I have to say, after listening to some of this... your voice is ambrosia
    jackjack
    @booinyoureyes ^^

lol... thanks, I think? :P
    booinyoureyes
    46) Draconis

Jin and the company journey into the rugged Alamir Mountains to confront the yet another of The Five, the Bhaalspawn named Abazigal, who was rumoured to be recruiting dragons to his cause.

Already dragon slayers of some experience, the party arrived at the entrance to Abazigal's lair unmolested, and found the giant arched entrance guarded by a single man...

This is the second attempt at this encounter. The first encounter can be seen in parts 1 and 2 of this session. Draconis is arguably the toughest dragon battle in the entire saga, and re-instilled a healthy fear and respect of dragons in this game after stomping through most of the dragon encounters on the way to this point.

• LesseLesse Member Posts: 81
    Voice is indeed ambrosia :p

I had time to sit down and watch the intro videos, and I really enjoyed Jin's background. Especially when you had his constitution lowered etc to account for his torture period.

Looking good so far, even if I am way way way behind :(
    @Lesse

Thanks... again... I guess :p

Yeah when I made up that background, I had no idea we'd find out exactly who his mother was... But I did disclaimer it with 'Jin was told that...' encase my origin story clashed with ingame content.

And yeah... unfortunately I don't hit the ground running like Tord, and was learning both my LP technique and my BG 2 strategy at the same time, so the early stuff is pretty cringe-worthy as I tested the waters, so to be speak. I feel like I started to settle down (and consistently read the lines) in the De'Arnise Keep, which was also the first really interesting quest.

If you do decide to stick with it, I hope you will see some steady improvements over time, both in terms of recording setup (white noise removal!) and gaming tactics (Wow! Resist Fear is useful!)
    47) Abazigal

Having overcome the challenges and guardians of Abazigal's lair, Jin and the company come face to face with the mighty draconic Bhaalspawn for a fateful confrontation with terrible consequences for both sides.

jackjackBelgarathMTH
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Owch. Abazigal is quite hard hitting, isn't he? You're very lucky with Jaheira and Minsc- they could have easily ended up permachunked, too. I think back when I first fought him, I ended up using the Mordenkainen's Sword tactic to get through his first form so I had all my spells for his dragon form. I haven't fought him on anything but SCS for years, though. Maybe I'll actually try a non-SCS run. Would be less stressful.

As for Anomen, well, I wonder if he would have thought that a good death. Maybe, maybe not. I wish they had put in the ability for the Wish spell to get you your chunked companions back.
    Heindrich
    edited January 2014
    48) The Villain, the Ravager and the Wedding

Having despatched Balthazar, with some regret, Jin and company are summoned back to the Pocket Plane by Solar, who forces Melissan to finally reveal her shocking role in the Bhaalspawn Wars.

In order to confront the true puppet-master behind the chaos and bloodshed, Jin must first confront the powerful Avatar of Bhaal in the fifth challenge of the Pocket Plane, a monstrous entity known as the Ravager.

Finally before Jin faces his destiny, Aerie makes an unexpected request...

Probably the most eventful day of Jin's life, lol...

CrevsDaakBelgarathMTH
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Heindrich1988 you've pre buffed!! And good luck Imoen did not finish casting Time Stop, the Ravager is immune to it. The only thing that I find weird is that for some moments you do not instruct all your party members and some stay doing nothing for a round (from both points of view, RP and PG, it is wrong, since who would waste a round without killing everyone just to get XP or just you can't stand in the middle of a foght doing nothing, I'm not criticizing, I'm just telling you).
    @CrevsDaak

I always use long term protections like P.f.Evil, Chaotic Commands, and setup sequencers and contingencies before every session. That's just common sense in such a dangerous career. :P

I also use short term buffs when I am clearly about to face a battle that Charname knows about. In this case, there's been a battle in each of the first 4 Pocket Plane challenges. Jin can safely assume the 5th challenge is also a battle. lol

And yes the standing around doing nothing is annoying. The problem with so many casters is that I find it hard to keep a track of what everyone's doing. I mitigate that by switching on AI sometimes, so that a character who's finished casting spells will start to attack with ranged or move towards the enemy, which tells me I can issue a new casting command. I have auto-pause when spell cast, but sometimes I can't tell if somebody has been disrupted, and sometimes I miss the auto-pause in the mess of other info in a messy battle.
    edited January 2014
    @Heindeich1988 oh, yeah, I know that BG2 misses what every character is doing, that cool addition from BG2:EE.
    And then, when you hear that I ALWAYS cast Stoneskin before going to sleep do not tell me that it is power gaming, much less if your PC is a paranoid like mine (he used Detect Traps all around the Pocket Plane :P).
    Also, I' planning to do the Ascension + SCS final fight in a video (or more, its damn too long :/)
    Heindrichjackjack
    @Heindrich1988, the EE will solve your problem about not being able to keep track of what everybody's doing. It puts little icons on every character portrait showing you what's next in their action queue. I find that one of the most helpful features of the EE.

Just watched Abaziagal, and hated to see Anomen get eaten - I think that was Abby's bite attack, so it implies that Ano's fate was either to be eaten in one gulp, or else bitten in two.

Looking forward to watching the Reaver when I have time, but have to go for now, unfortunately.

HeindrichCrevsDaakbooinyoureyes
    @BelgarathMTH BG dragons have breaths of their own type, Abazigal has a Electricity Breath and he casts Lower Electricity Resistance to make it more effective. The Dragon Breath ability can deal around 150 (from the ToB Dragons) damage if you fail the saving throw vs breath. I got Anomen killed by Draconis' Brown Dragon's Acid Breath, and it was strange because dying of Acid damage implies the normal death animation and he just got in a epic level of chunkiness (he got to more than -70, he had 3 HP and Anomen took around 80 points of Acid damage).
    Spell Shield (level 5, Arcane spell) makes you immune to all those Dragon attacks because of a bug, I don't know if it has been fixed in the EE, making it a very heplful spell for weak characters like Haer'Dalis or a Mage/Thief PC (and not to mention Spell Shield isn't supposed to be unlimited, but because it is bugged, it is unlimited, unless the duration expires), also it is ultra-helpful to any type of soloing class.
    @BelgarathMTH

Actually I think Anomen died due to Abazigal's Blue Dragon Lightning Breath. I never confirmed it, but...

1) Anomen had actually retreated in order to heal up from injuries suffered in melee, so he was no longer right next to Abazigal.

2) I heard a lightning sound as Anomen died.

3) Later on I saw Abazigal use the same move twice on my summons, both times dealing over 100 damage. I think his melee attacks do about 25-30 damage.

4) Anomen's body didn't get chunked. It remains visible and charred.

And yeah... it was pretty sad, I know how much you like him, and he really grew on me/Jin as well. :( It was really shocking, especially given how little I could do to prevent it... cudda happened to anyone.

@CrevsDaak

Ano didn't die to Draconis. Although Draconis was harder for me... I killed Abazigal on my first attempt (albeit with terrible losses), Draconis caused a reload. Actually in the first effort against Draconis, I think Minsc perma-died to a similar attack, but I wasn't totally sure that he was dead, and I tried really hard to win regardless.
    edited January 2014
    @Heindrich1988 I didn't had to reload on Abazigal either, he was easier than his son (that's why Ascension + SCS adds like 3 dragons more to the Abazigal fight), but I am sure that he used his Breath attack since he used it against Mazzy (who took around 90 points of damage when at full health so I didn't cared much) and over my PC that had 90% Electricity Resistance + some more from Protection From Energy, so he got healed by it.
    And yeah, it deals out awesome damage, I've reloaded when Anomen died because he has perma-killed Mazzy before.
    Edit: Anomed died to me in my first run :P yours Anomen died later (I've reloaded so it is like if he never died).
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    @CrevsDaak ascension abazigal was a real pain for my first time through where Imoen was my only mage lol. the other dragons were not protected from horrid wiltings though, so a triple wilting contingency did good work on them as she time stopped to unleash more havok. truth be told it was cheesy when I beat him because he mazed charname and stood there waiting as my party was off screen, so the battle was technically ended and I could save with only abazigal left :)

lets just say that my current game will go a lot better with the ascension battles
    CrevsDaak
    @ChildofBhaal599 I've never tried the Ascencion battles for exception of the Amelyssan final fight. After getting Ascencion I got BG2:EE, so... Everything got cuted, but I'll see of re-playing ToB with Ascencion+SCS.
    CrevsDaak said:

@ChildofBhaal599 I've never tried the Ascencion battles for exception of the Amelyssan final fight. After getting Ascencion I got BG2:EE, so... Everything got cuted, but I'll see of re-playing ToB with Ascencion+SCS.

many people actually tell me the final battle isn't hard even with it and that other battles were harder. then I got the mod and I beat every battle except demogorgon and the final battle, and I had balthazaar to help me even. the improved battles are quite nice. especially when it comes to abazigal who was more of a pushover than his son to most people :)
    CrevsDaak
    49) The Throne of Blood

With the final challenge of the Pocket Plane overcome, and a simple ceremony to mark their union, Jin, Aerie and the company prepare to face Amelyssan and the culmination of the Bhaalspawn prophecy... and whatever fate awaits the young Hero of the Sword Coast.

This is the beginning of the second attempt... woefully unprepared on the first effort and got slaughtered pretty quickly...

CrevsDaak
    waiting for the final part to be uploaded :)

waiting for the final part to be uploaded :)

@ChildofBhaal599
    How do u know the next time will be the final part? If I died again it would take at least 2 hrs to get this far again :P Maybe many videos more XD
    jackjack
    save files as requested by @heindrich1988

take whatever you want for your purposes :)

leaving first dungeon image

De Arnise final fight image

before Neera red wizard enclave (don't judge the name. I was in a rush to save and edit :)) image

temple district sewers image

sewer lich battle image

before planar prison image

twisted rune image

before firkraag. possibly need to kill tazok first image

vampire lair first time image

spellhold before capture and dreams image

underdark beholders image

going to suldenessalar image

irenicus at the tree image

irenicus in hell image

HeindrichCrevsDaak