Skip to content

Can you guys please expand the Android beta?

2»

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @amftron, please see this topic for details and further information regarding the beta.
  • solodsolod Member Posts: 58

solod said:

Just started testing the beta today on my Nook HD+. While I can only play through the prologue at this point, I can report that the game looks really nice and runs smoothly. It plays very well on a 8.9" tablet with very clear fonts to read. I had been playing a bit of BG2 with GemRB and I can say hands down the interface and functionality of BGEE will be way better and THE way to play BG on a tablet. I've also been playing the original on my PC thanks to GOG and based on my experience today, I can say that I won't go back to the PC. This game is IDEAL on the tablet. Love that you can zoom far out eliminating the need for constant tapping and mouse clicking to move your characters about. In short the interface is really slick and its playing smoothly. I'm fully confident that this will rock and the Beta has definitely put some of my initial fears to rest. It's GOING TO HAPPEN.

How did you get Testflight on your nook?
    I was able to figure out how to put my nook hd+ into developer mode to test apps and side load. I did this originally so I could play the android games that I bought with the Humble Bundle. If interested in how I did it, PM me.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    @Ravulet I got combat going with the training exercise where you are ambushed from behind, also I got to kill rats- no hiccups. ON MY TABLET! :D Combat against the assasins seem to end it though.
  • amftronamftron Member Posts: 109
    @Troodon80 @Ravulet thanks for the info ! Will test it out later. Must admit the initial screens and character creation seems incredibly responsive.

Think this might just win me back over to the Android side after giving up on it for so long.
  • lbalba Member Posts: 8
    I started beta testing with my Note II and Im glad to see thats its playable and s-pen works like charm.
    Remember to complete the test guys - that will speed up the process (they need 100 successful tests). When you complete the test it is automatically reported to Beamdog.
    Seriously. What is the hold up? It literally takes 5 minutes to complete. If it was technical problems that are causing people to not complete the beta test, I imagine a lot more people would be reporting it in the beta test thread.
  • wigglesgwigglesg Member Posts: 96
    I know it's easy to do the test but im guessing the problem is people not really understanding what they actually need to do in this test. Also those peope who haven't played either the original or EE on the other platforms might not know where to find Gorion and getting booted out of the game every time you try to do pretty much anything might get a little frustrating.
  • matthileomatthileo Member Posts: 59
    wigglesg said:

I know it's easy to do the test but im guessing the problem is people not really understanding what they actually need to do in this test.

I think this is exactly it. Most of the time when you hear about a beta, it's a mostly complete version of the software with bugs that still need working out. Most people probably don't realize this is a specific test that needs to be finished as quickly as possible.
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    Yeah it's not a beta.. it's a hardware test. If you do anything other than clicking a few buttons to get into the game, zoom/pan around the map and then talk to Gorion, the test ends without completing.

(There is more you can do, but finding out what is a matter of trial and error, and should only be attempted AFTER the actual hardware test sequence is completed at least once)
    Agreed. I think the instructions could have been a bit more clear about what you need to do in for the test to complete.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    I think the instructions on what needed to be done were fine; zoom, pan, move the character, and keep an eye open for any graphical anomalies. A link to Dudleyville might help people find Gorion. I have to keep reminding myself that this is not just for old fans, but also an attempt to introduce a classic to people who are new to the series.
  • wigglesgwigglesg Member Posts: 96
    The instructions on the purpose of the beta are fine, I agree. However, not everyone given an invite to participate in the beta will have even noticed the beta thread. Although it is probably a limitation imposed by testflight, it would have been a good idea to put a description of what the build was testing and what the user had to do in the email we received telling us the build was available.
    @Troodon80 sorry if Im being a big nitpicker here, I just want the test completed as quickly as possible hehe :)

But I was confused myself as to what actually completed the test, and I was very interested in doing so (as opposed to someone who was just using the beta to check it out). @Dee 's post said "Talk to Gorion to complete the prologue and end the test." But it would be much more clear if it stated something like "Talk to Gorion to *complete* the test - the results are automatically sent to us."
  • Dice42Dice42 Member Posts: 55
    Faydark said:

Yeah it's not a beta.. it's a hardware test.

It's still a beta. The term Beta testing doesn't refer to what's being tested, but that it's the audience using the software, not the development team.