Skip to content

Can you guys please expand the Android beta?

We've been waiting for over a year, most of us would happily help test and report bugs. Please consider doing another quick beta call, or even opening the beta to the public.

Comments

• pandacakepandacake Member Posts: 39
    as far as i know from my experience and what i have read from others the beta just crashes on start up so not really much to expand on till after holidays when it gets worked on
    seems a new build was put up on test flight and instead of black screen and error message on start up it now lets you get into character creation but freezes and closes when you get to the abilities tab in the creation process, and if you use a premade character it just freezes on the intro speaking part, as it auto saves before the into plays i have also tried loading the auto save and it just freezes as soon as it loads.
  • Aron740Aron740 Member Posts: 153
    edited December 2013
    Hmmm, I do not have that problem :) just started the game with Abdel and everything seems to work

EDIT: everything worked up until the encounter with Sarevok, after that a little window with: ''hardware test complete''. Would be great to know exactly what I am doing before the test is over :)
    Post edited by Aron740 on
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @pandacake, I wouldn't bother trying it out until more news is given, there probably are a few bugs that they know about that need to be fixed before the testing can properly commence.
    Aron740 said:

Hmmm, I do not have that problem :) just started the game with Abdel and everything seems to work)

just tried with abdel and it works so maybe thats only char that is working atm
  • atomicsnowmanatomicsnowman Member Posts: 31
    I was pretty much signed up within minutes of the notification that beta testing spots were being filled. Did not get an invite. Super sad panda here.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    What devices are you using @pandacake and @Aron740?
    Also, how do the buttons everything feel? How is the playability? (if you understand my questions hehe)
    im on samsung tab 2 10.1. I think it plays wonderfully and theres a nice button on side to quick save which makes me happy as I abuse my Q key when ever I play the orignals =p
    edited December 2013

What devices are you using @pandacake and @Aron740?
    Also, how do the buttons everything feel? How is the playability? (if you understand my questions hehe)

Edit: I'm using a nexus 10 but I also tested it on my note 3 and both worked great, the buttons and everything worked unbelievably good! I'm actually quite surprised by how great the controls worked and now I prefer the android controls over the PC mouse and keyboard. Feels much more relaxed and the camera is really smooth and I found myself constantly playing around with the controls because they are so great. Only negative is that it is slightly troublesome to pause the game.
    Forgot to go to the candlekeep "combat test area", will do that right now to get a feel on how the combat works on android. But right now I'm quite positive that it will kick ass!
    Combat is very broken, will report it when I figure out how.
  • etotheoetotheo Member Posts: 61
    Aron740 said:

Combat is very broken, will report it when I figure out how.

Loving the bipolar optimism and reports. Keep it up and good luck with the beta testing.

• AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    @Aron740
    Thanks a lot for the info! Excited to hear more eventually if you are able/allowed to :)

@Aron740
    Thanks a lot for the info! Excited to hear more eventually if you are able/allowed to :)

No idea why I wouldn't be allowed to, haven't signed anything or so. But just to be sure all you will hear from me will be impressions and descriptions and no screenshots :)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Until we're sure the Android beta will not be under NDA I think it´s better to avoid disclosing screenshots or revealing any details but general impressions.
  • Out2lunchOut2lunch Member Posts: 57
    mlnevese said:

Until we're sure the Android beta will not be under NDA I think it´s better to avoid disclosing screenshots or revealing any details but general impressions.

I would have to say I seriously doubt it can be any different to any of the other versions out there. Is the same engine, graphics etc, just some new back end code dealing with zip files and 3 varieties of gfx processors for android hardware.

Any hi that's just my 2p worth...
  • wigglesgwigglesg Member Posts: 96
    Hi all, just signed up but I've been following the forum and the progress of the Android port for over a year (since before the PC version was released).

Anyway in reference to the subject of this thread "Can you guys please expand the Android beta?" I'm wondering if this Twitter post shines a little light.

@littleseal141 We're starting a small run today. we'll be adding more testers next week

— Cameron Tofer (@CameronTofer) December 13, 2013

My thinking is that as we are only just hearing from people who have been given the opportunity to participate in the beta that they have only just put up the first build and these people (@Aron740 for example) are those who were chosen in the "small run" mentioned in the tweet. Therefore, if they are to continue with the plan he mentioned in the tweet (although slightly delayed) then those who were able to sign up to the beta (myself among them) are still in with a chance to participate in the beta.
    wigglesg said:

Hi all, just signed up but I've been following the forum and the progress of the Android port for over a year (since before the PC version was released).

Anyway in reference to the subject of this thread "Can you guys please expand the Android beta?" I'm wondering if this Twitter post shines a little light.

@littleseal141 We're starting a small run today. we'll be adding more testers next week

— Cameron Tofer (@CameronTofer) December 13, 2013

My thinking is that as we are only just hearing from people who have been given the opportunity to participate in the beta that they have only just put up the first build and these people (@Aron740 for example) are those who were chosen in the "small run" mentioned in the tweet. Therefore, if they are to continue with the plan he mentioned in the tweet (although slightly delayed) then those who were able to sign up to the beta (myself among them) are still in with a chance to participate in the beta.

Prob. has to do with the devices we own(hardware test)
  • RavuletRavulet Member Posts: 14
    edited December 2013
    There is a beta testing and there isn't any staff's post explaining about it? I've seen the cancelled post in which staff was recruiting beta testers and I signed up there, furthermore I have installed the TestFlight app. The post was deleted without any news about it, but now I'm reading about a beta. And just a post about the beta in the Android forum...
  • SarSar Member Posts: 7
    TBH I'm getting really pissed off waiting on the Android version. I bought a tablet LAST Christmas with the intention of playing BG:EE and BG2:EE on it. STILL waiting, 2 calendar years later...

Sigh.
  • realepicureanrealepicurean Member Posts: 1
    I'll weigh in on this. Loved Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Never winter Nights on my PC, so was over the moon when I heard it was coming out for my Android tablet. Well over a year later, and it has seemingly been forgotten by the developer. What makes it worse, as always, is a lack of communication; just tell us what, if anything is happening, please! If nothing, I'll know to go elsewhere.
    edited January 2014
    @realepicurean, as I said in another Android topic, there have been—on average—5-6 tweets per month from Trent alone regarding Android-orientated information. You can find my post (edited for new link) here. There is plenty of communication, the main problem is that it's the 'wrong' type of communication. People don't want to hear "yeah, we're doing great," and then "bummer, we hit a snag with X." There's plenty happening as I'm sure they're working on getting the Android version out, my only suggestion would be to follow some of the development team on twitter if you want immediate and 140-character-messages on progress.

(I suppose we could start a new topic for Android-related twitter messages?)
    Post edited by Troodon80 on
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Troodon80 That would be a good idea. I think it should be made a sticky as well until we have an official announcement out.
  • solodsolod Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2014
    Just started testing the beta today on my Nook HD+. While I can only play through the prologue at this point, I can report that the game looks really nice and runs smoothly. It plays very well on a 8.9" tablet with very clear fonts to read. I had been playing a bit of BG2 with GemRB and I can say hands down the interface and functionality of BGEE will be way better and THE way to play BG on a tablet. I've also been playing the original on my PC thanks to GOG and based on my experience today, I can say that I won't go back to the PC. This game is IDEAL on the tablet. Love that you can zoom far out eliminating the need for constant tapping and mouse clicking to move your characters about. In short the interface is really slick and its playing smoothly. I'm fully confident that this will rock and the Beta has definitely put some of my initial fears to rest. It's GOING TO HAPPEN.
  • SouldancertnSouldancertn Member Posts: 45
    Any news that it will be compatible on a Kindle Fire HDX or is the whole Google Play thing going to complicate things?
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    solod said:

Just started testing the beta today on my Nook HD+. While I can only play through the prologue at this point, I can report that the game looks really nice and runs smoothly. It plays very well on a 8.9" tablet with very clear fonts to read. I had been playing a bit of BG2 with GemRB and I can say hands down the interface and functionality of BGEE will be way better and THE way to play BG on a tablet. I've also been playing the original on my PC thanks to GOG and based on my experience today, I can say that I won't go back to the PC. This game is IDEAL on the tablet. Love that you can zoom far out eliminating the need for constant tapping and mouse clicking to move your characters about. In short the interface is really slick and its playing smoothly. I'm fully confident that this will rock and the Beta has definitely put some of my initial fears to rest. It's GOING TO HAPPEN.

How did you get Testflight on your nook?
  • moorkookmoorkook Member Posts: 3
    Just started testing it too, on my nexus 7 2013, and it rocks.
    Of course, on a 7 " tablet, it's not wide like on a computer screen, but the game itself seems very enjoyable, and boy, it's baldurs gate on my android !

there is one tiny things that bother me thought. It's the dialog part, when you have to tap on the answer you choose. On my screen, the answer are very close, and I already mistap once.
    Maybe I'm a m*r*n, but I can imagine that being very problematic when you have very important choice to make.
    But I'm sure they will fix it, because it's still a beta :)
    So I'm happy, and I'm waiting patiently for the next update for maybe try the combat system.
    Going to have to agree with @moorkook on the point about the dialogue choices. It was originally designed for the pinpoint precision of a mouse, so I expected this.
  • amftronamftron Member Posts: 109
    I can't even get past character creation on my 2012 Nexus.
  • RavuletRavulet Member Posts: 14
    @amftron This beta phase is designen to test graphical issues. You can play only with the pre-generated Abdel and going for a walk around the map. The beta end's when you talk with Gorion.

Actions like combat, change weapons, use habilities, buy items, etc. close the game.