Skip to content

[MOD] Spontaneous Casting For Clerics and Druids (v1.32)

PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,174
edited March 2019 in General Modding
This mod adds spontaneous casting for clerics and druids, which is based on the idea of 3e spontaneous casting ability. It works with BG:EE, BG2:EE, IWD:EE and EET. As of version 1.3, it should also compatible with other mods that add cleric or druid spells and kits. This mod must be installed after such mods.

Spontaneous casting contains three innate abilities, that upon activating, transform all memorized divine spells of the caster to healing, harming or summoning spells of their respective levels. Good clerics receive spontaneous healing, evil clerics spontaneous harming, and neutral clerics both. Druids receive spontaneous summoning. This last for 6 hours or until the chosen divine spell is cast, then all spells are transformed back.

For this to work properly I had to add some new low-level spells. They are:
First level: Cause Light Wounds, Lesser Animal Summoning I
Second level: Cause Moderate Wounds, Cure Moderate Wounds, Lesser Animal Summoning II
Third level: Cause Medium Wounds, Lesser Animal Summoning III

IWD:EE has its own low level cause and heal spells, so it only adds these summoning spells to the game.

Healing and harming spells are added to priests and summoning spells to druids repertoire as normal spells, that they can use.

When memorized spells are transformed, they change their icon into the respective spontaneous spells, but names of those spells remain. You can use tooltip to determine which spell are you going to cast spontaneously.
Spontaneous spells are:
1. level: Cause Light Wounds, Cure Light Wounds, Lesser Animal Summoning I
2. level: Cause Moderate Wounds, Cure Moderate Wounds, Lesser Animal Summoning II
3. level: Cause Medium Wounds, Cure Medium Wounds, Lesser Animal Summoning III
4. level: Cause Serious Wounds, Cure Serious Wounds, Animal Summoning I
5. level: Cause Critical Wounds, Cure Critical Wounds, Animal Summoning II
6. level: Harm, Heal, Animal Summoning III
7. level: Finger of Death, Resurrection, Conjure Earth Elemental

Note 1: Spontaneous spells can be cast immediately after spontaneous casting is activated. There is no pause between them, such as there usually is between spells. However, in the first round after activation, you can only cast divine spells, wizard spells (for cleric/mages) and innate abilities are disabled in that round. Also, because of this, when activated spontaneous casting will end Improved Alacrity spell cast by cleric/mage, as they both use the same mechanics.

In version 1.3, I added an optional component - Magic Fang spell. This adds two spells to all druids, Magic Fang and Greater Magic Fang. The first is a level 1 spell and adds a +1 to an attack and damage (as well as a +1 enchantment level to targeted summoned animal). The second is a level 3 spell and adds +1 enchantment per 4 caster levels (to the maximum of 5). Only animals summoned by all Animal Summoning spells (plus Conjure Animals) are affected by this spell (when they are, they glow green).

Installation:
Download the mod from github and extract the zip file in the game's core folder (the one with a file "chitin.key" in it) and run "setup-spontaneous_casting.exe". You need to start a new game for your divine caster to receive spontaneous casting ability. Alternatively you can point a cursor over the caster and enter console command "C:AddSpell("rgspheal")" or "C:AddSpell("rgspharm")" or "C:AddSpell("rgspsumm")".

Important: If you purchased your BG:EE game from Steam or GoG and you have a SoD expansion installed as well, you need to first install DLC Merger before installing any mod.

Change log:

v1.1 (8.7.2014):
- contains polish and czech translation and also improved spell icons (old icons had some distorted colors)

v1.2 (27.11.2014):
- the mod now works with IWD:EE

v1.3 (1.3.2016)
- the mod is now compatible with other mods that add priest spells or kits

v1.31 (4.3.2016)
- added optional component - Magic Fang spell

v1.32 (24.5.2016)
- added italian translation
Post edited by Pecca on
PalanthiselminsterGrammarsaladCrevsDaakSpaceInvaderCahirTJ_HookerzwadekJuliusBorisovGusinda

Comments

• wolpakwolpak Member Posts: 390
    edited February 2014
    Ignore, works on iPad.
    Post edited by wolpak on
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    Great mod indeed. Do you know if we should expect any compatibility issues with other mods which affect spells or casters, like SCS ?
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,174
    @wolpak: That must be an iPad thing, because on PC, all spells work. Unfortunately, I don't own iPad, so I can't do much about its compatibility.

@Palanthis: I didn't test it with other mods (SCS takes hours to install on my PC), but generally, this mod patches all priest spells, so there can be compatibility issues with other mods, that also patch priest spells. I'm not sure how WeiDU handles this though, but if you install this mod after those other mods, it will work.
    Maybe because I have scs installed, something isn't kosher. Let me test with it removed.
    It does conflict with something in scs. I'll try to figure it out but works on iPad with just missing text.
    Pecca
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Spell icons for testing, 2 red, 1 red-white.

image image image
    @KidCarnival: Here's how it looks in game:

It needs to be more pink-ish and less smooth.
    elminster
    Yep, I'll edit my palette again. I hadn't made a blue one yet because I couldn't get the blue right. I'll try a few things with layers and blending.
    Quick edit with some blending, gonna try some more later.

That's better.
    Some more. I think I still need to make the white more transparent. Gonna try a blue one next.

image image image
    Random blue snake-whatever, for color test.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Quite a huge boost for clerics, beeing able to cast heal/harm on the fly is very, very, very potent :D
    But interesting mode... I thought you had made it possible to play a favored soul, hehe.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    This is really cool. Great job!
    PeccaGrammarsaladKidCarnivalCrevsDaak
    A curiosity/non-issue: The icon for "Free Action" in the cleric spellbook is invisible. You can still select and cast it, there's just a blank spot. I'm assuming it has to do with this mod since it changes spell icons; nothing else installed has anything to do with clerics.
    @KidCarnival: Weird, it works for me.
    I just checked again and the icon is back. O.o It was just that one spell, too (from the levels I could see, it was the start of BP, so no level 6 and 7 in book).
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Hi @Pecca, as an appreciation of your mod I thought I'll provide Polish version of it. If you could include it in the next version I'll be obliged:)
    edited June 2014
    Sorry I needed to reupload the file, cause I realized it was not converted to UTF 8 coding. Here's correct one. Let me know if everything works fine cause I did not test it in game.
    @Cahir: Thanks, I will include it, but I will be away from my PC for over a week, so then...
    @Pecca no pressure:) I'm glad I could make my contribution to this little gem:)
    @Pecca try using attached .tra file and setup.tp2 - I was able to install the mod in Polish on BG:EE using those two. I'm no modder and I was experimenting, but apparently this did the trick.
  • comebackhomecomebackhome Member Posts: 254
    This mod sounds really cool, I'm always in favour of being able to have more beasties to summon. Has anyone used it and is able to give some feedback?
    New version 1.1 is up.
    Cahirelminster
    Version 1.2 is up. The mod now works with IWD:EE.
    CahirelminsterJuliusBorisov
  • ArzacArzac Member Posts: 5
    Hi, is there a way to patch IWD:EE under WINE without starting a new game?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Grammarsalad
    @subtledoctor: I'm still hanging around, though with much less time than I used to have. I can't make any promises but if it's something small and simple it can be done.

@Arzac: I don't know what that means, sorry.
  • ArzacArzac Member Posts: 5
    @Pecca: Hi, after extracting the .rar file into the main dir of the game I tried the command: AddSpell("spheal").

C:\GOG Games\Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition>AddSpell("spheal")
    Can't recognise 'AddSpell("spheal")' as an internal or external command, or batch script.

I also tried to run the command from the root dir C

C:\>AddSpell("spheal")

but I get the same error. Where do I wrong?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.