Skip to content

Pre-Ordering the Mac OS X Version?

CanageekCanageek Member Posts: 6
edited July 2012 in Mac OS X (Archive)
I know the OS X version will be distributed through the App Store. Does this mean it can't be preordered in the same way as the PC version? Thank you.

Comments

• KnottyKnotty Member Posts: 1
    Id like this confirmed as I want the mac version but saw Trent's pre-order link and presumed this was mac & pc download. Please confirm this as there is nothing on the product page to indicate client software is needed or that it's windows only.

Thanks
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    I think they said the Mac app store does not allow for pre-orders.
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    Indeed, only the PC-version can be pre-ordered. Mac users have to wait until it comes available via the AppStore.
  • ErrandwolfeErrandwolfe Member Posts: 11
    Which is entirely a misstep on Apple's fault and another things the App Store needs to change. There should be no reason why we can pre-order movies and music in iTunes, but we cannot pre-order apps. I'm sure this is also why we have the vauge "September" release becuase the actual release is in Apples hands.
    Quartz
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited July 2012
    What is the point of pre-ordering a digital copy though? When it is made available on Apple store, everyone will be able to download it. It's not like there will be a scarcity of supply.
  • VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216
    cheaper price / bonus content / rewards... that kind of stuff.
    QuartzMoomintroll
  • ichaos1985ichaos1985 Member Posts: 34
    Preordering means showing support for the developers.
    And I'm sure that there is a way to preorder apps from the AppStore, because you can preorder music in iTunes as well. They could also offer it for preorder on their site and then send out gift codes for the game.
    I asked @TrentOster on twitter and he thinks it's a good idea, but they had so much to do that they simply didn't think about that.
    As soon as it will be available for preorder, I'll buy it, for my mac and Kaye even for my not-yet-existed iPad. :-)
    NathanQuartzMoomintroll
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    @ichaos1985

This is from the official pre-order FAQ on these forums:
    Q: Can I pre-order for other platforms?

A: The Mac App Store, the App Store, and Google Play do not support pre-purchasing as far as we know.
    Quartz
  • CanageekCanageek Member Posts: 6
    Ah, thank you very much. I didn't see the FAQ.
    @Risingsun
    Hm, well, that's a pity. However, they could still offer it for pre-order on their site and then send out voucher/gift-codes as I said. :)
  • inweinwe Member Posts: 79
    I think a developer only has a limited number of codes by App Version, so I can imagine they will not have enough codes for everybody… damn, I want a badge too :-P
  • ZandriZandri Member Posts: 33
    edited August 2012
    @inwe is correct, developers only get a measly 50 promo codes per version per app.

It wouldn't be hard for them to add per-orders they already do it within iBooks, do they do it for iTunes music too?

EDIT: by 'them' I meant Apple :)
    @Zandri: yes, they offer preorder for music in iTunes, I for one preordered the latest album of Five Finger Death Punch, about 4-6 weeks before release and it started downloading as soon as it was available. :)
  • NjordyNjordy Member Posts: 2
    There is a preorder for Movies, Music, Books + "Season Pass" for TV Shows. Years we are waiting for same thing for Apps...
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    I don't even know if it will happen for apps. A pre-order presupposes that an app will actually be approved. Apples app store approval process can be troublesome at times.
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    Hey guys, I'll bring this up and we'll see if we have any recourse. I can't promise anything so don't get your hopes up just yet, but rest assured if we have a solution for pre-ordering the Mac version we'll do what we can.
    QuartzRisingsunScooter
  • jkamcmillenjkamcmillen Member Posts: 1
    I know you can set a future date for an app to be released to the App Store. Speaking as someone who has published an iOS app, myself. If Overhaul were able to issue key codes then perhaps a way to pre-order a Mac or iOS version would be possible that way. Otherwise, it's on Apple to create such a pre-order type system for both App stores.

I know you can set a future date for an app to be released to the App Store. Speaking as someone who has published an iOS app, myself. If Overhaul were able to issue key codes ...

key codes? you mean promo codes via iTunes Connect? If so, this was brought up a little early in this thread, the problem with these are they are extremely limited. iOS dev's get 50 per app, per version.. I'm not a registered mac developer but I assume its the same on the mac app store also.

So 50 isn't going to be enough to go around :)
    I have to say though, i am SO looking forward to this game!
    I haven;'t been this excited about a game release in YEARS! even though I played the originals to death.
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    I can't wait for this game. I hate installing it on Crossover Games and having it crash the whole time.
  • EvinfuiltEvinfuilt Member Posts: 505
    is it out yet?? is it... is it. Hurry, take my money.

Sorry, don't know what came over me.

@drawnacrol I'm in the same boat, and on one of my machines the DVD drive is dead so I can't even load the game (as I have the disc version and it wants ToB disc loaded.)

Hopefully this third purchase of the whole series will be best (original mac versions, then PC versions, and now EE!)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I downloaded a pc version provided by wineskin that works on mac, i think it uses a emulator, but is an old version!
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited February 2013
    @CrevsDaak

If you didn't purchase the Windows version from Beamdog or Steam or the Mac version from Beamdog, then it most probably is not the EE.
    Kampri
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @mlnevese

Yes its EE, I played the original, and played the EE on my iPad, its a hacked version, and I dont think its legal.
    It uses BGEE 2012 version not 2013.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Scooter