Skip to content

iPad 1 crashes after purchasing Dorn

WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
So I got a cheap iPad 1 and hoped to play multiplayer BG at home. Everything worked fine until I tried to restore my purchase of Dorn. After doing so successfully (I think) the game will no longer boot up, instant crash every time. Sometimes I get as far as the title page but usually don't even see the logos.

Any ideas? Delete and download again?

Comments

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Okay after another reset the game booted up once and I confirmed that the purchase didn't go through. Then it crashed again and won't start up again.

Is ipad 1 really so bad or am I missing something? I've closed all other apps, I've reset the iPad. Anything else that I can do or is this a lost cause?
    So I put the ipad on airport mode and still no dice. Maybe consider jailbreaking as last option ...
  • kittenykitteny Member Posts: 16
    edited January 2014
    Hi there, sorry to hear you are having trouble with your ipad 1. I use ipad 1 to play BGEE and it has always worked relatively smoothly for me, so though I am unsure what the problem is I think you can rule out the problem taking place just because its an ipad 1.

edit: Just want to add - I also experienced no problems buying the extra content on ipad 1 :/ hope you figure out the problem.
    So strangely, I didn't have this problem on BG1:EE at all on ipad 1, (I purchased all the additional content before the new patch, however...)

And now with BG2:EE on ipad 1 I have this exact problem.

Uninstalling/Reinstalling the game hasn't worked either. In fact it plain wont start up at all now since trying to buy Dorn despite a fresh install.

What is going on, Devs?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I'll have someone take a look. It may be an issue with the iPad 1, but I'll try to get a more concrete answer.
    jackjackSCARY_WIZARD
    Dee said:

I'll have someone take a look. It may be an issue with the iPad 1, but I'll try to get a more concrete answer.

Thanks Dee. Confirmed that I cannot purchase Neera or Hexxat either, the app crashes. Only if I restart the ipad1 can I get BG2:EE to start up again, otherwise it won't even reach the menu.

SCARY_WIZARD
    I think I've given up on that iPad but if you need any experiments done just ask :)
    It seems that after having trouble purchasing Dorn, Neera and Hexxat on ipad 1 because it kept crashing, i have now actually paid and been billed for all three characters, but they are not in game. So i have paid for them but cant play them. Frustrating.
    Any news, Dee...?
  • exposprideexpospride Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2014
    I am also having the same problem as Wowo and Kittney. After purchasing Dorn on an iPad 1, the game crashes, but the state of the crash appears to be different each time (sometimes I make it to the menu, sometimes to the logo screen, sometimes before any screen). Uninstalling and reinstalling does not help.

I've also determined that the problem has to do with being logged into the App Store. After purchasing Dorn and experiencing the crashes, I was able to play normally if I logged my iPad 1 out of the App Store, and restarted my iPad. With this workaround, however, I am not able to access my purchased content.

As soon as I either try to log into the App Store (in-game or through the iOS settings page), the game crashes.

Help! You guys have made a great game even greater, we would all appreciate the response!

I have an iPad 1, on iOS 5.1.1.
    @expospride
    This is actually very useful information; thank you.
    expospride
  • exposprideexpospride Member Posts: 2
    One more note @Dee. While playing with the above workaround, I will get periodic notifications from iOS asking me to log into the App Store (happens after resting my party pretty consistently). If I cancel out of the login modal, everything works fine. If I try to log in the App Store, BG will crash.

Any workarounds appreciated! Hope the bug is found and fixed too ;)

I am also having the same problem as Wowo and Kittney. After purchasing Dorn on an iPad 1, the game crashes, but the state of the crash appears to be different each time (sometimes I make it to the menu, sometimes to the logo screen, sometimes before any screen). Uninstalling and reinstalling does not help.

I've also determined that the problem has to do with being logged into the App Store. After purchasing Dorn and experiencing the crashes, I was able to play normally if I logged my iPad 1 out of the App Store, and restarted my iPad. With this workaround, however, I am not able to access my purchased content.

As soon as I either try to log into the App Store (in-game or through the iOS settings page), the game crashes.

Help! You guys have made a great game even greater, we would all appreciate the response!

I have an iPad 1, on iOS 5.1.1.

Everything you described is happening to me too, same ipad and IOS Version.

I too get prompted asking for my apple password whilst playing the game, it happens quite a lot but i must press cancel everytime or the game will crash. It seems the game knows i have purchased Dorn, Neera and Hexxat, and it is trying to download them for me by keeping asking me for my apple id/password.

Uninstalling and reinstalling didnt work for me either.

Hope for a fix soon, really want to play the new characters, specially since the game has let me pay for them.
  • jamcjamc Member Posts: 1
    I also have a gen 1 ipad running iOS 5.1.1 and crash after buying Dorn. Also am prompted repeatedly to sign into apple store. It's a pain in the you-know-what, but I shrugged it off and ran with Rasaad, BUT then crashed every time I tried to travel to Heretic Temple for the first time. The box would pop up asking me to sign into apple store, and game would invariably kick me out, without even letting me click "cancel". Finally I turned on airplane mode, and then could get thru video that plays on arrival at Heretic Temple. Since then no repeat crashing as long as I either play in airplane mode or click "cancel" every time I'm prompted to log into store. Still don't have Dorn (or my $3).
    Great info about the store though, nice job! Hopefully there will be a fix soon ...
  • JamagillJamagill Member Posts: 2
    Any solution for this yet? I downloaded the game -- super excited - and it won't start!
  • jkhedejkhede Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2014
    This has happened to me as well. iPad 1, 5.1.1. I was able to play (with an occassional crash every half hour or so, usually on screen changes such as entering/exiting a building, or resting).

I, too, started getting those boxes asking me to sign into the app store. I never had. I later tried the in app purchase of Dorn, and then I got booted to desktop. I got another box saying that I had already purchased, but that it had not downloaded yet.

I am still unable to load the game even after signing out of app store and hard resetting the iPad.

*edit*I read about someone's success using airplane mode, and have found that I am able to play (sans-Dorn) on airplane mode as well.

*new edit*
    Here's some extra information. I do not have a cell (data?) plan for my iPad. I use mobile wifi, there is no system for just my iPad connection to the internet. I am able to play while I am in airplane mode, with no wifi. As soon as I turn on wifi, I begin to get those requests to sign into app store, and consequent crash to desktop.

Some side notes: on airplane mode with wifi off, when I pause the game and switch apps, the game will start off from the logo screen when I come back. If i pause the game, and leave it for long enough to let the power-saver turn the screen off, when I come back, I can still un-pause and play the game - it doesn't freeze up.

Further aside, there are other applications which I use on my iPad which worked fine before I upgraded to 5.1.1, which also began to experience intermittent crash-to-desktop issues after upgrading. My "privacy" web-browser and "Friendly" (Facebook app) crashes, while Safari and most others don't.
    Post edited by jkhede on
  • jkhedejkhede Member Posts: 3
    Update: I've been billed for Dorn, but have no way to get the guy. I also do not see this "restore purchases" button someone talked about elsewhere.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    @Dee‌
    Sorry for the Necro, but I can't find a newer thread on this topic. I tried purchasing Neera for Baldur's Gate 2 on my iPad 1 running iOS 5.1.1.
    The game crashed, and now crashes during the initial black loading screen every time open the app. Essentially, I've paid $15, possibly more if the charge for Neera went through, for nothing but used up space on my tablet. Is there any sort of ETA on a fix for this. Is it even on the radar anymore?
    Yes, it will be fixed in the next patch. In the mean-time if you sign out of your iTunes account on your iPad you should be able to play without crashing (although Neera won't be included while you're logged out).
    jackjackCrevsDaakSCARY_WIZARDmrcmarking
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Awesome, thank you very much :D