Skip to content

Your Favourite Glitches, Bugs, Explots, and the Other Fine Cheeses

Inspired by the "Do you cheat?" thread, I feel the need to post a "HELL YEAH!" thread. What's you're favourite cheese?

Who doesn't remember the Backstab-Chat days of yore.

*Backstab X5*
"Hi there!"
"Did you just hit me?"
"Who, me? Never...." *disappears*
"Wasn't that odd"

*Backstab X5*

Or how about the classic Sequencer->Shapeshift?

"You can turn into a werewolf? How cute! I can turn into a pack of giant 5 armed spiders weilding swords made of pure magic."

Short on cash? Have a potion and a random gem in your inventory? Well, swap those bad boys out and get a stack so large Thalantyr wont know whether to sell you the Mage of the Archmagi or the Claw of Kazgaroth first.

I also have to disclaim that the Flesh Golems have a bounty on my head for genocide and war crimes for the horrible, horrible things I did at the Lighthouse. It was in my youth, before I knew what I was doing.

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I just completely cheesed kangaxx, running out of the area as soon he cast dispell, until he ran out. I also waited up there for his protection from magical weapons wore off:P
  • golingarfgolingarf Member Posts: 157
    Definitely 3x Project Image in a Chain Contingency with condition helpless takes the cake. You will be helpless when you cast Project Image, then three more images will appear. Quadruple your mage!

Although I understand this has been partially fixed in EE, so that you only can use one Project Image in a Chain Contingency. Still, double your mage!
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    LOL, I was thinking of opening a CREVZ' GUIDE TO CHEEZE thread right now :D.

Well, my personal favorite are key mapped Chain Contingencies, you edit the Keymap.ini (not available in BG:EE, sadly a nice thing that was removed) and tag the letter you want to trigger the Chain Contingency after it's spell code. Now everyone can cast a Chain Contingency, without the need of a Scroll/Potion swap!! After that one the "Make the NPC selected to die in the Selfishness Test in Hell open the last Good aligned door for you" is my second favorite. Then the always there FAKE TALK!!! It was mentioned in the Original Post but, heels and hells, this one is golden, it's even in the EEs. And after all, the Suiciding Drizzt, if you are invisible he can't initiate dialog and won't attack the gnolls, so he gets killed by the gnolls that won't attack you either, very good exploit to get his stuff at level one.
    Never mind. Come to think of it, NRD takes the cake.

No specific trick with NRD, just NRD itself.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Dual wielding with speed weapon in the offhand.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Skaffen said:

That's not SO cheesy! It isn't even a bug!
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I'm so harmless. Harvesting XP on Flesh Golems and Greater Wyverns, sure. Invisible Jester making minor mobs kill themselves, sure. Sometimes, I let Korax kill some basilisks. Also blind-fireball the chess battle in Durlag's, but that's it. I feel kinda boring.
    deltago said:

Wow and I thought kiting a bear was cheesy. I think I am going to stay away from this thread before it corrupts me.

SCS has a "faster bears" option, if you don't like this. Although I kind of think that serial killer bears are cheesy themselves, and my cat familiar should definitely be able to solo one, which he isn't. (Look up "cat vs. bear" on youtube before you disagree.)
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Kiting bears.
    Fake-talking.
    -Fake-talk shoplifting. DEVS WHY DID YOU FIX THIS I LOVE FAKE-TALK SHOPLIFTING :(!
    Standing in the fire. When I have potion of fire resistance and ring of fire resistance and other things that offer fire resistance. I swear I was so flame-retardant, a Molten Core-geared raid from World of WarCraft back in the Vanilla days would have envied the living daylights out of me!
    -Black Pits grrrriiiinnnnddss.
    -Summoning ghasts with animate dead.
    -Mirror image + stoneskin + buffs and stuffs + FIREBALL CENTERED ON SSSSEEELLLLFFFFFF = Shattered Hand cleared
    -Making big, flaming craters in Durlag's Tower in the chess room that would presumably lead to where the mind flayers are holed up in the canon.
    -Exploiting the Obe's training room NPCs into the game. :3! Osprey, I love you.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    If there is a door you can open and close, exploit it.
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    So many things to be said. Two examples from my youth... :
    In vanilla bg, using wands did not remove invis... That being said wands themselves in bg are ultimately OP, with or without using cheese.

I also made a complete soa/tob run with a sorc summoning 5-7 planetars using project image... (i must say i am quite ashames of that one)

What i find funny is that some perfectly legit items can be very cheesy, like prot from undead scrolls, as demonstrated below:
    - use 1 prot from undead + 1 potion of haste.
    - kill the liches in city gates, bridge district, sewers and kangaxx (using daystar from the city gates)
    - you just got 100kxp, daystar and the ring of gaxx for an investment of 1500 gold and no risk at all.
    CrevsDaak said:

Skaffen said:

That's not SO cheesy! It isn't even a bug!
    I think it is - why should Belm in the offhand give you another attack with Crom?

Also the question was "favourite" and not "most powerful" and this is one admittedly relatively minor exploit, but very frequently used. Actually, if you integrate the additional damage this allows you to do over a full run esp. since it's available almost from the beginning and compare to some triple projected image whatnot mega-cheese, which you use a few times for very specific battles only, I'm pretty sure the speed weapons will come out ahead.
    Another one: stacking potions of master thievery.

With 5 potions and a quick raid through the shops you can end up with practically unlimited magical / elemental ammo, more or less permanent giant strength and heroism from boatloads of potions, scrolls worth several hundred thousand scribing XP, fully charged wands of cloudkill, summoning, frost, fire, ..., a ring of regeneration, magical armor and weapons for the full party, ... - and in the end you come out ahead with a total of about 12 potions of master thievery just waiting for the trademeet merchants to be resupplied!
  • ZaknafeinBaenreZaknafeinBaenre Member Posts: 349
    Want to unlock and pilfer a chest, but a pesky commoner is standing in the line of sight? Charm that nosy punk and make him walk out of the room.

Killing Drizzt in BG:EE. If anyone can do this in a straight up fight, you deserve his scimitars. Otherwise, CHEESE!
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    Drizzt is very cheesy himself.

The fireshield/stoneskin/mirror image tactic is a not so cheesy and kills him very easily.
  • IselethIseleth Member Posts: 15
    Anything involving spike traps, especially with Demogorgon. There's something hilarious about uber-powerful enemies getting insta-killed (especially when they start out neutral and just stand there, watching, as you set traps everywhere around them).
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Twin ring of wizardry on mage character, especially at original 1. Getting 2 rings of Gaxx from Kangaxx (pickpocket before fight 1, loot after fight 1). Export-import in and by itself. Turning a single player saved game to multiplayer and vice versa. Import "stash" character to sell everything, kick out of party, save game, load game and repeat. Export import the stat-raising tomes till all your party reaches 25 to all stats. Pressing pause at original 2 before intro, so you can keep all your hard earned items from 1. Picking up Sarevok; dude reeks of cheese, and it is fine, legit cheese, above all! Exploit spellcasting to keep recycling your spells without need of resting! Summon five planetars in thirty seconds. Export-import with familiar in 2 beginning to get permanent HP boost! Play as a cleric ranger. Backstab with the ToB endgame katana after activating Kai (Kensai Thief).
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    edited February 2014
    @Demonoid_Limewire Check your facts before posting!

Now, in the EE:
    - You cannot wear more than one Ring of Wizardry
    - It's not possible to get more than one Ring of Gaxx
    - There's a Planetar summon limit of 1 (unless summoned by Images)
    - Pause cannot be used at start to keep your BGEE items
    Post edited by Abel on
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Abel said:

@Demonoid_Limewire Check your facts before posting!

Now, in the EE:
    - You cannot wear more than one Ring of Wizardry
    - It's not possible to get more than one Ring of Gaxx
    - There's a Planetar summon limit of 1 (unless summoned by Images)

I, at this time, am wearing two rings of wizardry on my sorcerer. The just can't be the same one.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    edited February 2014
    meagloth said:

I, at this time, am wearing two rings of wizardry on my sorcerer. The just can't be the same one.

Are you referring to the Ring of Acuity?
    Because if that's the case, it isn't considered as a Ring of Wizardry even though it looks like it. Its description indicates it clearly and a same character can wear two.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    You can also get a second Ring of Gaxx with the console. The "army of devas", yeah, that's not possible, but before the summon limit, you could have a legion of skeleton warriors and lower level summons. That was fun.
  • NeeberNeeber Member Posts: 33
    Killing firekraag and the shadow dragon by having charname whack him while another npc initiates dialog from far off turns around before he actually starts the dialouge and repeat. They never turn hostile and let u kill them for full xp. Uber cheese. Hasnt been fixed in ee. Sometimes do this if char name is a theif and i want the shadow dragon armor super early. Lame i know
    Yikes, Never done that to the dragons.

Biggest cheese in Baldur's Gate I guys: 2nd pair of boots of speed. Who knows what I'm talking about?
  • nonmisainonmisai Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2014
    Staff of Archmagi + Wand of Cloud Kill. Well the Cowled Wizards are born for exp and scrolls aren't they?

Lower Resistance + Greater Malison + Doom + Blind on dragons (you need 2 or more mages for this) and they are just dead meat.

In BG1, the area where you meet Drizzt, have someone invisible (spell/potion/stealth) to explore where Drizzt and gnolls spawn without initiatng the dialog. Then you can wait for the gnolls to roll 20s and eventually kill the drow. If you prefer youcan even try the last blow for exp. Happy looting then.

Also, if you have enabled Debug Mode in the .ini file, Ctrl + 4 in game will outline all interactable devices, including traps. No need to guess where they are any more.
    Post edited by nonmisai on
    K that's not cheese, that's hacking a.k.a. breaking the game.
  • ImperatorImperator Member Posts: 154
    I used to always exploit the gem multiplication trick, not really knowing what was actually worth buying. Now I merely use the exploit of "I know there are vampiric wolves there, let's approach carefully so as not to engage both of them at the same time".
  • RewolfRewolf Member Posts: 102
    Having an uber powered archer killing Ramazith in Baldur's Gate on the first floor before he managed to teleport away and looting his stuff, only to encounter him once again on the top floor, killing him and looting him for the 2nd time :D