Skip to content

Help Needed: A few questions

First and foremost, anyone know where to download an ee keeper that works with mac? Not as computer savvy as most of you guys and im looking for a keeper that will work with both games. On an unrelated note, when dual classing from a fighter to say a thief, do the pips you put in your thief class add on to the fighter pips when you gain that class back. For example: If i have 3 pips in scimitar as a fighter, dual into a thief, put 1 into scimitar, would i then have 4 pips when i regain my fighter class? And just to make sure I sound like a complete noob, will someone explain speed factor? Didn't wanna clog the board with 3 separate posts. TIA

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited February 2014
    1) As far as I know, this is the only EE Keeper that exists... @Troodon80 is the main man responsible.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16497/ee-keeper-updated-to-v1-0-2/p1

2) Yes on the scimitars, that would be my understanding, but I am not a game mechanic expert, so perhaps somebody else will correct me.

3) Speed factor relates to the order in which combatants attack each other within a round. The lower the number the better, so a speed factor 0 weapon will strike before 1, 2, 3 and so on. It is only a significant factor for those who try to backstab and/or otherwise rely on hit and run tactics.

Edit:
    ps: don't worry about posting as many (legitimate) questions as you want in the "New Players (NO SPOILERS)" part of the forum.

I got dozens of posts in there from when I was learning to play this game. The community is very helpful in that regard :) But if u post in general, u are likely to get spoiler'd, which would be a shame.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    2) NO, any points you put before regaining abilities are LOST.
    @FinneousPJ

Really? O.o

Huh... Am I having a thick moment... but if that were true, how on earth does a Kensai => Mage achieve Grandmastery? I thought superior weapon proficiencies were one of the main draws of Dual-class over Multi-class.
    @Heindrich How do you mean? Most people dual at Fighter 9 at which point you already have GM from your fighter pips. You can also achieve GM in another weapon after having regained abilities.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Neeber said:

First and foremost, anyone know where to download an ee keeper that works with mac?

Not natively, but @AstroBryGuy is the designated 'Mac Guy' for Keeper. He created a Wineskin wrapped version of Keeper. You can find those links in the first post in this topic or in the main Keeper topic. He can also help if you require any assistance on setting it up, and provides information (in the first link) on how to set it up a few posts down. :-)
    @FinneousPJ

Oh, I think I misunderstood "NO, any points you put before regaining abilities are LOST." as "All ur proficiencies from your first class are lost". I guess for his Scimitar example, he should have +++ again once he regains his Fighter skills.
    Sorry to hi-jack OP's thread a little bit, but I think this is related to his question and might clear up his confusion as well...

I expect to dual-class my Kensai => Mage at lv7 or 8, so he should have:

Single Weapon Style ++
    Long Sword ++++

When I begin the dual-class process...

At Mage lv6 he should gain a new proficiency, but can only put it on Mage weapons, so instead I'll put the first pip into Two Weapon Style (is this allowed?).

So he should look like:

Two Weapon style +
    Single Weapon Style ++
    Long Sword ++++

At Mage lv12

Two Weapon style +
    Single Weapon Style ++
    Long Sword +++++

At Mage lv18

Two Weapon style ++
    Single Weapon Style ++
    Long Sword +++++

At Mage lv 24

Two Weapon style +++
    Single Weapon Style ++
    Long Sword +++++

At Mage lv30
    Two Weapon style +++
    Single Weapon Style ++
    Long Sword +++++
    Scimitar +

I know the above isn't powergaming efficient, but is it correct mechanically?
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    edited February 2014
    @Heindrich I don't believe mages can dual weild, I think only warriors and thieves can do that. I don't know how it works with dual class however.

Edit: just tested it, you can't put points in ANY style when dual classing to mage, so no, your build isn't mechanically correct.
    @Heindrich I meant in the scenario the OP asked about.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited February 2014
    @Heindrich - Mages can't put points in any weapon styles (unless you have the BG2 Tweak "Weapon Styles for Everyone" installed). So, until your PC regains their fighter abilities, they can only put pips in mage weapons (dagger, dart, staff, sling).

@Neeber - pips don't become cumulative once the abilities are regained.

For example, if your PC duals from fighter at level 7 to mage with the following proficiencies:

Single Weapon Style ++
    Long Sword +++
    Dagger +

Then as a mage, they gain the following proficiencies at 1st and 6th level:
    Sling +
    Dagger +

When they regain their fighter abilities, their proficiencies will be:
    Single Weapon Style ++
    Long Sword +++
    Dagger +
    Sling +

Notice that the mage dagger and fighter dagger don't add to "++", essentially, the second pip is lost.

However, if the mage proficiencies are allocated as:
    Sling +
    Staff +

Then, when they regain their fighter abilities, their proficiencies will be:
    Single Weapon Style ++
    Long Sword +++
    Dagger +
    Sling +
    Staff +

So, don't re-pick any proficiencies the character has from their fighter levels until the fighter abilities are restored.