Skip to content

Crash when trying to create new game

Something changed overnight....

I am running the Steam version of BG2EE and between last night and this morning something has caused me to be unable to start new games. I can load old saves fine, but I cannot create my own new Single Player game or Multiplayer game or enter a multiplayer game. I can still load old saved multiplayer games. No dump file is being created for this crash, and I admit it's got me pretty confused.

Comments

• xxbilboxxxxbilboxx Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2014
    I can save and quicksave both single and multiplayer loaded games. The game breaks when I try to start a new single player game and after I click "Create" when I am creating a character in a multiplayer game. As this is a steam game I'm not sure how to run as administrator and I have not been doing so.

Thanks!

Edit: It started throwing a crash dump (or had been before and I didn't notice)
    Post edited by xxbilboxx on
    Here it is
    I have verified the game cache, I cannot start a new game at all, I go from the main screen, click shadows of amn, click single player, THEN when I click new game, I crash and the dump file is created.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @xxbilboxx, do you have a 'characters' folder in your Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition directory? And, if so, have you any exported characters within it?
    I do and I have 5 character files in that directory, some of which have been modified by shadowkeeper.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    You should use EEKeeper, Shadowkeeper is outdated.
    err, I meant eeKeeper.
    @xxbilboxx, could you try removing them from that folder? Just move them to a different folder outside the Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition directory for now, no need to delete them.

I've had crashes before when trying to start a new game if there are any bad or corrupt characters in the characters folder. If it's happening before you get to the pre-generated characters screen, right after hitting the New Game option, then it is possible it is something to do with that. Just a guess, might not even be the case.
    edited February 2014
    Just tried that @Troodon80 and there was no effect.

Edit: And yes! You describe exactly when the crash occurs.
    Post edited by xxbilboxx on
    @xxbilboxx, a question that has gone unasked: do you have any mods installed? Do you have and override folder, and is there anything in it?
    No mods installed no override folder present.
    edited February 2014
    @xxbilboxx,

I am at a loss, then, and the above crash dump didn't actually contain anything (0 bytes).

I would suggest renaming* your Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition folder, located within the Documents directory, so that the game no longer detects it.

The 'Baldur' initialisation file (INI), custom characters, portraits (if any), saved games (single player, multiplayer, and Black Pits), screenshots, etc., should no longer be detectable by the game. If that doesn't fix the issue, you can then restore your Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition folder and contact support[at]beamdog.com for more direct and support.

If you could provide a crash dump (should be located within the /crash/ folder in the Documents/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition directory) specific to this issue then I can try and take a look.

* Add it to a RAR/Zip archive, then delete it, or rename it, you have a couple options available. My personal preference is to rename it to something like ;Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition (add a semicolon).