Skip to content

BG2 EE freezes when try to either level up, open Dragomir's Respite, or talk to merchants

I bought BG2 EE about a week ago. It did not have this problem at first, but it has been getting steadily worse for the past 2-3 days. Essentially, what happens is that whenever I click to open Dragomir's Respite or to level up one of my party members, there is a high chance that the computer will freeze. When it does this it repeats the sound it would normally make when clicking that button 2-3 times and then freezes. The mouse cursor can still move, but I can do nothing else. With rare exceptions, the only way to get out of the game once this has happened is to unplug my computer. ctrl alt delete, does not work at all, nor does alt F4 or any other keyboard shortcuts associated with minimizing or closing the game. This has happened approximately 30 times in the past couple days, and can't be good for my computer. There doesn't seem to be anyway to know when it will do it and when it will work. Sometimes I can level up my characters normally and other times it freezes every time I try, it is just luck of the draw, but it is getting increasingly more inclined to freeze.

Although less often, this problem has also occurred when I try to talk to merchants and has happened twice when I went to open inventory screens.

As if this wasn't bad enough already, Drizzt's friend Harpell stole my PC's main weapon and now I can neither buy a new one nor open up Dragomir's Respite to see if I have already have a suitable replacement without the game freezing every time. Additionally, half my party members have level-ups, but can't get them.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? If not, is there a way that I can at least get the program to close when it freezes without having to unplug my computer?

Thanks!

Comments

• ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    This just happened again, but this time when I tried to use the menu option to change to get out of fullscreen mode.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Um, basically I have no knowledge about windows... Do you have mods installed/done any edits? Have you done the Underdark and forgot to drop all the Drow stuff? It makes the game crash when you have Drow equipment outside the Underdark.
    @Troodon80 maybe you can help a little more than I.
    ARKdeEREH
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @ARKdeEREH, use ALT+Enter to get out of fullscreen mode. Alternatively, if that doesn't work, there is a setting in the INI file (open it in Wordpad):

Change it from:
    'Window', 'Full Screen', '1',

To:
    'Window', 'Full Screen', '0',

As for the reasoning behind the crash; it could be sound related—hardware (onboard or internal/external peripheral) or software (driver). There's almost no way to determine, so it's trial and error; what works and what doesn't.

If you have any mods installed, it could be that. However, if CTRL+ALT+Delete will not function when Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition crashes, then it sounds more like a system problem (driver, hence why I said about it possibly being sound related).

You will need to provide more information about your specific case. Hardware specification, version/edition of operating system. Are you using any mods, have you edited any files like the saved game, and what version of the game are you using?
    @Troodon80, I don't have any mods on the Enhanced Edition, but I do have the original BG2 installed on the same computer and it has mods. Also, the PC that I am using in the EE is imported from the original BG2.

I edited one saved game shortly after I emerged from Irenicus's dungeon. When I did this, I used EE Keeper to give my PC some of the same equipment that she had in my original BG2 game. I didn't encounter any of these freezing problems until chapter 5 though.

My operating system is Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 3. What do you mean by hardware specification?
    edited February 2014
    @CrevsDaak, I did accidentally bring one Drow flail outside the Underdark equipped to my PC, but it turned to adamantite dust, so I discarded it for Aegis Fang after I killed Drizzt's party. That's the only Drow item that I took with me though. I left everything else in the Elven temple so that I could retrieve it if I went back to the Underdark.

Would bringing one Drow item outside cause all these problems? If so, what can I do about it now that I'm substantially further into the game?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Very weird the game tends to crash all the time when you get out with Drow stuff, I don't think that it causes all this problems but check if you have some in Dragomir's Respite, that could be causing the crashes.
    edited February 2014
    @CrevsDaak, I can't open Dragomir's Respite now without the game crashing, but I'm pretty sure there aren't any Drow items in it. I've filled it up completely and sold all its contents several times since emerging from the Underdark. I did the Umar Hills, Firkraag, the Druid Grove, parts of Watcher's Keep and Suldnesselar, and several Athkatla quests after I left the Underdark and until the game started crashing when I opened it, I would sell everything I put in Dragomir's Respite after each major quest line.
    CrevsDaak
    @ARKdeEREH, can you Zip/RAR your saved game and attach it to your post, please?
    @Troodon80, How do I do that?

For a a couple days I thought that the problem was solved because of the issue with the Drow items that @CrevsDaak mentioned. I went back to the Underdark and was able to open Dragomir's Respite; give Hexxat, Imoen, Viconia, and Minsc level-ups; and sell some stuff to the Duergar merchants. When I left the Underdark I made absolutely sure this time that I didn't bring any Drow items with me. When I got out I was able to play the game normally without issue, at least for a while. Then last night the game froze again, the instant that I tried to talk to the merchant in the sewers beneath the temple district.
    @ARKdeEREH, you can use WinZip, WinRAR, or 7-Zip. You will need to compress the saved game located within the save folder, within Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\. The folder you should archive follows a naming scheme similar to 000000008-MySaveGame.
  • minsterelminsterel Member Posts: 4
    I have the same problem as the OP.

Talking to merchants, trying to level up or opening the Dragomir thing instantly crashes my game.

All of this on a freshly installed game with no mods or tweaks.

Oh. And the exit full screen does not work.
    @minsterel, can you upload a saved game as I asked the user above?
    2 saves.

One character imported from BG:EE(fighter), the other one created fresh in BG:EE2(monk)
    @minsterel,

I am not getting a crash with either of those two saved games when bringing up the store (and buying something), opening a chest/container or bag, or levelling up.

If you have any crash dumps (located in the 'crash' folder alongside the 'save' folder), I would suggest sending them to support@beamdog.com.
    Troodon80 said:

@minsterel,

I am not getting a crash with either of those two saved games when bringing up the store (and buying something), opening a chest/container or bag, or levelling up.

If you have any crash dumps (located in the 'crash' folder alongside the 'save' folder), I would suggest sending them to support@beamdog.com.

I didn't really expect you to get the errors. I believe it is a graphics issue.

Thanks for cheking it out and trying to help tho.

@minsterel, what hardware are you running?
    edited March 2014
    Seems like I have solved the problem. I updated my graphics drivers and the thing is working fine now.

To answer your question. I am running the ancient radeon 9800 pro.
    Troodon80Recil