Skip to content

Followup after rescuing Haer'Dalis

BansheedragonBansheedragon Member Posts: 5
edited February 2014 in Not An Issue
I played the Original BGII many times and this is one of many quests I know I have done in the past, so I know how its supposed to go.
This is related to the quest from Aerie's Uncle Quayle who asks me to help some friends of his.

What I did was I rescued Haer'Dalis before I spoke to the people in the Five Flagons inn who needed help.
I returned there after rescuing Haer'Dalis, and gave them the planar stone.
At this point I agree to defend them while they search for the right astral conduit.

After a few waves of monsters, this is during a clam between 2 waves, Haer'Dalis suddenly screams out "No! The troupe... My Friends! NO!" and then the whole troupe becomes hostile and attacks me.

It happens every time as the same point, I have tried 5 times now. and I have done absolutely nothing that should have provoked that reaction.

If I had attacked anyone in the troupe I could understand it, but I have not done anything whatsoever except attacking the monsters coming out of the portal.

I suspect that rescuing Haer'Dalis before speaking to the troupe at the Five Flagons may have resulted in this happening, but regardless of what the reason are, I am unable to continue this quest-line due to this.

Edit: Some more details after yet another failed attempt

1. The sudden turning of the troupe happens after the 3rd wave of monsters, after some shadow fiends attacks.
2. AOE spells have nothing to do with the sudden turning I cast multiple of them that did not affect the troupe.
3. I have no mods installed, its the vanilla version of the game I'm playing.

I do have a savegame from right before this happens if that will help with the troubleshooting.
All I need is to know where the savegames are located and I can provide it.

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Yeah, :) we need a saved game, it should be in Documents/Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition/save, the saved game is a folder with 00000000 and the name you gave to the save, zip/rar it and upload it with the attach a file option at the left bottom of the comment box.
  • BansheedragonBansheedragon Member Posts: 5
    Savegame attached, hope this helps with the troubleshooting.
    I guess that it is the AI that you have On, I've turned it off and this stopped happening, I don't know why the AI would do such weird things but well, it does weird things.
    Also, have you edited your save? You seem to have the Hammer of Thunderbolts AND Crom Faeyr, besides two upgraded Bags of Unlimited Bullets +2...
    edited February 2014
    The AI did that?
    Never had it do that in the original version.
    AI is nice to have, saves me giving commands all the time.

No not edited any savegames.
    Used console commands to get those.
    Well, I don't know which scripts you are using, but your entire party attacked them, I don't know why this happens, I will take another look because I certainly feel that something is wrong in one (or all) of them.
    Oh, OK, I ever forgot about the console :P and ask if the save was edited... I'm silly sometimes.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited February 2014
    If I were to take a wild guess, I'd say it's probably something like Colour Spray. While it is not detected during the script event, the calm spot between waves drops you out of that 'loop' (for lack of a better term) and then detects that a hostile action was performed against the troupe. That's about the only thing I can think of. If this is the case, then the most likely reason why you haven't had this in the original version is because you didn't have Colour Spray memorised/ready to cast.
    Post edited by Troodon80 on
    CrevsDaak
    edited February 2014
    I just tried moving the three mages out of view and using only the front-line members. Rosemary, fighter/mage not casting spells, Mazzy, who wades right in, and Jaheira who casts Bless and then uses a sling.

Everything works fine.

Another test, use Nalia and cast Colour Spray with the AI option turned off. Use CTRL+Y to kill all enemies. After a brief pause, what should be the incoming bounty hunters, the troupe turns hostile. It's not a script, it's the area of effect spell.

The troupe doesn't turn hostile immediately, because it is scripted that they cast their portal summoning spell.

I'm thinking 'Not an Issue,' but I'm going to leave it here on the off-chance that it is a bug and we can get more information.
    @Troodon80 well, certainly I've think that it is Not an Issue, or an AI issue, enhancing the AI sounds like something very nice to do and not too difficult.
    edited February 2014
    Troodon80 said:

I just tried moving the three mages out of view and using only the front-line members. Rosemary, fighter/mage not casting spells, Mazzy, who wades right in, and Jaheira who casts Bless and then uses a sling.

Everything works fine.

Another test, use Nalia and cast Colour Spray with the AI option turned off. Use CTRL+Y to kill all enemies. After a brief pause, what should be the incoming bounty hunters, the troupe turns hostile. It's not a script, it's the area of effect spell.

The troupe doesn't turn hostile immediately, because it is scripted that they cast their portal summoning spell.

I'm thinking 'Not an Issue,' but I'm going to leave it here on the off-chance that it is a bug and we can get more information.

Appreciate the feedback, it explains allot, dunno why I never thought of that being the reason.
    I'll go back and see if I can do it later, I'll just have to turn the AI off and use direct attack spells manually instead.
    Right now I have moved on and I'm in the Underdark with my group, until thats done I cant do it unless I load that savegame, which would mean all progress until now would be wasted.

Great to know there is a place I can go to get help when I got problems.
    @Bansheedragon, using manual spell casting is probably the best, but the easiest is probably just to get rid of the colour spray spell (and other hostile area of effect spells? Not sure, I'd need to test that) from your memorised slots. That way, they can all still cast their spells as needed automatically while your fighters attack.

I'm going to go ahead and move this thread, then. If you have problems with this in the future, and you have a feeling that it isn't what I have mentioned above, post again and one of the mods/testers will investigate. :-)
    I managed to complete the quest now, just turned the AI off.
    Its an easy fight anyway.

But one thing I'm curious about.
    I still have 2 quests listed as unfinished, that are related to this.
    The first is from Aerie's Uncle Quayle asking me to help some friends of his.
    The other are this Raelis?(not sure about the name right now) lady asking for help, which I got after watching their show.

Since I freed Haer'Dalis before doing any of those things, those 2 are now listed as unfinished, and I cannot complete them either since technically I have done them.

Its not a big issue, but it annoys me a bit.
    Is there anything that can be done about this?
    @Bansheedragon, they don't actually mean anything, but if having them in your journal annoys you (like it does for me since it implies they are unfinished) then you can upload a newer saved game and I can remove them for you.