Skip to content

IGN declares Divinity: Original Sin Feels Like A Modern Baldur's Gate. Really?

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,722
edited March 2014 in Off-Topic
http://me.ign.com/en/feature/21247/divinity-original-sin-feels-like-a-modern-baldur-s-gate?mobile=1

To me, this is a rather audacious statement. Of course, another RPG that is somehow relevant to those who admire BG is a plus but still I can't say Divinity:OS looks like a modern BG to me from watching that video.

I'd like to know what others think.

Here's the official site: http://www.divinityoriginalsin.com/ and a wiki page: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divinity:_Original_Sin

Personally, I'm waiting for the Pillars of Eternity and from what I've seen about this game it seems to be (feel) really like BG.

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    It looks pretty good! Seems quite ambitious in trying to implement so many things.

I am not sure if I like the option to roleplay within your party. I mean it's nice for custom characters and multiplayer, but I'd prefer Aerie, Minsc etc to have their own distinct and compelling personalities and respond to a Charname's actions and conversation choices, rather than allowing me to essentially choose their responses. I mean roleplaying a romance in that sense would feel... creepy.

Graphically it does look aright, kinda like Diablo, and the magic system sounds pretty interesting. My favourite part was probably how NPCs react to your actions, and how perception and charm/intimidate works. It seems like a more sophisticated implementation of just Charisma+Reputation reaction rolls.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Hm, judging from that video the game looks and feels more like a modern NwN2 than anything else. From what I saw it doesn't look very interesting to me. At the very least it doesn't appear to justify its 40,00€ price tag.
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    @Kamigoroshi‌

It's IGN what do you expect? They probably think Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights are the same thing. Very likely they only even know what BG is because it's the greatest RPG of all time and they would get nerdlynched if they didn't.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I bet you that putting "feels like baldur's gate" in the title they got a lot more views (at least compared to what they would normally get).
    Anyways I think the game looks interesting. I might pick it up after it comes out and goes on sale.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Looks brilliant. I do think there's lots of baldur's gate esque features to the game.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    Game is worth keeping an eye on. Looks good and gameplay seems to be interesting. GUI is very nice and reminds me of infinity games, but thats the only thing about it;)
    This just makes me want to play divine divinity actually (like Arcanum I could never get maybe more then 10 hours into it).
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @bengoshi, thanks for posting about this. I'll probably wind up buying it at some point.

What it reminds me of most is Dungeon Siege, not Baldur's Gate. I don't think it looked like the roleplaying system was deep enough to call it a BG clone. As @Heindrich said, choosing the responses of your own party members is a bit of a turn-off. The guy in the video did say they designed that with multi-player in mind, though.

I think I will still enjoy playing it, just to focus on developing my own character as the party leader and playing it like Dungeon Siege, as more of an action hack-and-slash loot game with some minor roleplaying added in.

I only watched enough of the beginning of the video to get the idea what the game is going to be. I thought that if that was the actual first chapter content being shown, that it was getting way too spoilery for my taste - I didn't want to watch somebody play through so much content before having a chance to play it myself.
    I actually like that you can choose the responses of your party members. From the sounds of things it gives more freedom to decide how they develop as characters.
    Agree with @elminster‌ it's a nice, new thing. At least I've never seen that before. However, it'd be nice if there was a "autopilot" for those who don't want to choose the responses.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Umm, no. Not even close.
    Pillars of Eternity (aka Project Eternity) is the modern Baldur's Gate.

Though Divinity: Original Sin has a toolset and it's in full 3D.

It looks like fun, though. I'll check it out before saying anything bad about it.
    I wonder if the multiplayer allows for persistent worlds like we had in NWN. That'd be mega.
    @Sylvus_Moonbow
    No i dont think so. I looked at the screenshots from their page and the style is very rich in art.. their own style i mean. So whenever someone makes a "cartoony" look-a-like game (which is not bad btw) you will have a hard time trying to clone that somehow. From a technical point of view it should be the ordinary workflow involved as always.

It´s much easier to create anything for a game that focuses on photorealistic textures cuz of the millions of google images you can collect and just modify them...

Well, did they talked about an editor already?
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    How does IGN get such a bad rep anyway? I like them. I don't get why people are personally offended by "OOH BIG SCARY IGN" it's just a group of journalists.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Quartz said:

How does IGN get such a bad rep anyway? I like them. I don't get why people are personally offended by "OOH BIG SCARY IGN" it's just a group of journalists.

Their review of SimCity (2013) made them dead to me.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Quartz said:

Good question @Quartz, I think some of the IGN-bashing is uncalled for. For me, I am a cautionary user of their website, because my impression is that what might at one point have been a critical review/resources type of website seems to have become more of a game-promoter in later years. When I say "game-promoter" I mean the "look at these awesome things!"-sort of articles, more than being critical. Now that is fine, but its okay to be aware of. Their reviews seem to be consistantly over-positive too, but that is just a feeling I have.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Through my eyes, Divinity: Original Sin looks a lot like a modern day Divinty. Which is no bad thing.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Quartz said:

Bioware put Jessica Chobot as a background character in Mass Effect 3 and in turn IGN gave Mass Effect 3 a very positive review, even though the ending completely broke the game's story and basically was a rip-off of Deus Ex. How could you possibly still call that honest journalism? I mean, they didn't even kept it a secret, as shameless as they are. A game should be criticized on its good and bad points. And that's clearly not what happened there.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781

Quartz said:

Bioware put Jessica Chobot as a background character in Mass Effect 3 and in turn IGN gave Mass Effect 3 a very positive review, even though the ending completely broke the game's story and basically was a rip-off of Deus Ex. How could you possibly still call that honest journalism? I mean, they didn't even kept it a secret, as shameless as they are. A game should be criticized on its good and bad points. And that's clearly not what happened there.
    why am I limited to one agree? i would sit here all night agreeing before I think I gave enough to represent how much I agree. however, did they actually really admit to that? from what you said it sounds like they did
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629

Quartz said:

why am I limited to one agree? i would sit here all night agreeing before I think I gave enough to represent how much I agree. however, did they actually really admit to that? from what you said it sounds like they did
    Well, it got leaked, so that's as much as admitting they did it. Otherwise such things would never become public knowledge. In any case, it just proved to me that game journalism can't be taken serious. I'd rather trust a review or opinion of someone I know who actually played the game till the end.
    Sometimes I forget gaming is serious business.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

Sometimes I forget gaming is serious business.

xD
    But in all honesty, it's a huge business, and the fact is a lot of "reviews" are bought and paid for.
    IGN isn't alone on this.
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    I don't think its accurate to say "a lot of reviews are bought and paid for". I certainly agree that some might well be but "a lot" is pushing it a little.

The problem isn't that reviews are bought, the problem is that the larger gaming "journalism" sites a staffed by and large by people who wanted to be IN the gaming industry but for whatever reason failed to make it. A lot of these "journalists" are in reality gaming fanboys who were and are Bloggers (not journalists) and have no journalism degree.
    This results in the current situation where a good part of the gaming "press" forget that they are supposed to be press and get a little, shall we say, over-enthusiastic about things and thus do not come across as professionals (because they aren't lol).

This gives the very unfortunate impression that reviews are bought and paid for, which isn't entirely accurate.
    That isn't to say that publishers don't employ sleazy and appalling tactics (like Jim Sterling being blacklisted by Capcom? Or was it SquareEnix? for a bad review) to force the "journalist" to "play ball" with them.

The gaming press is simply too friendly to the gaming industry to properly do it's job. And we the consumers of gaming news do not punish the gaming press for doing this by frequenting the sites that make a point of being more professional (The Escapist, Polygon, Destructoid) and not frequenting the appalling ones like IGN.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Very well put @fitscotgaymer‌, I agree wholeheartedly.
    For a good comparison look at these different reviews:
    http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/02/24/thief-review

and

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/video-game-reviews/10658395/Thief-review.html

While IGN's review is totally fine, the Telegraph review is FAR better IMHO. This is the sort of reviews I want. People who have a deep knowledge and in-depth critical view on the object. It kind of reminds me how some in-depth book reviews are in good newspapers - I want more book-reviewer types to review games!
    edited March 2014
    The best reviewer is the guy from IHATEMMORPG.

http://www.ihatemmorpgs.com/

That dude has balls and is always spot on. He mostly destroys MMO´s but give his site a try when you really want to know how messed up the game industy is in the MMO sector. And dont miss the gamer types he describes without mercy and how ugly the truth really is. You dont need to be polite where no reason is to hold back the right terms.

About IGN, i like them. They host the NWvault... their reviews... i never cared. My own oppinion is what matters to me! But usually i visit metacritics and only read the negative ones. There you find what is boring, repetitive, the bugs and and and. Fanboys are like groupies of bands i dont like and i dont care about shiny happy people reviews...

But it´s no surprise that most gaming site reviews differ alot from the user written ones who have nothing to lose. The honesty is clearly left out in most cases for the benefit of whatever reason...
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Didn't they announce sometime back that they were discontinuing the NwN vaults?
    edited March 2014
    There was a rumor and some very dedicated guys did backup the whole NWvault site just in case. The site is slow and not what is was but we were told they will keep it as long as they can. I´m sure they will let us know a few days before they finally close it.

A backup of the whole NWvault was downloaded... can you imagine how many pages...???

Really credits to maximus there on IGN. He is a cool guy!
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited March 2014
    @fitscotgaymer‌ I was with you until ... The Escapist, professional? hahahaha what even those videos are so ... I don't even have a word for it.