Skip to content

German language?

MontolioMontolio Member Posts: 24
any new infos when the german translation get started?

sry my bad english >.<

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2014
    Might be better off asking people in the German translation team (so not the Feature Request section) or Dee/Jalily.
  • MontolioMontolio Member Posts: 24
    Asked there, but no answers since dezember.
    Sorry are you asking because you are awaiting approval to help translate or are you looking to see when the translation will be finished? As far as I know once you are approved you can begin translating text.
    @NeoDragon may also know more.
    i know, but my english isnt very well, i want to know when its done.
    edited March 2014
    Well there's currently 12 volunteers for German and 1,277,348 words in total to translate (and that's just for male characters). I'm not certain how far into it they are but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.
    thats not correct, theres a inofficial patch that translates most of the game, only the new content is left.
    edited March 2014
    Montolio said:

thats not correct, theres a inofficial patch that translates most of the game, only the new content is left.

That is kind of assuming the original translations were entirely correct and that they don't have to be checked over by volunteers anyways. In any case I'm not sure why you are correcting me. I'm literally just posting what it says for me with the translation tool Beamdog uses...

So like I said I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.
    its the difference between 1,2mio words and maybe... 150k? i think its a shame that beamdog cant even use the patch that was released shortly after launch.

we buy the game, we want to play it in our language without using 3rd user programs and where should we get upset if not here?

so thanks for your comment but one of the official agency would be far more revealing.

hope my english is not to bad - google translator ;P
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    @Montolio The dialog.tlk file of ToB in english is 8,28 Mio. It's 11,0 Mio in BG2EE. That's a 33% increase. The nomber of texts added by BG2EE is about the same as the complete set of BGEE texts (original and additions).

Besides, there are many texts that were changed in BG2EE. I did a straight comparison of the texts and only about half of the 74000 texts of ToB are left unchanged. Very often it's just typo, spelling or slight rewriting that may not require a change in the other language. But classes, kits, items and spells descriptions have been changed too. In some cases, using the original translation will lead the player to make wrong assumptions about the behaviour of something.
    I made my own try to build a French translation using a slightly smarter approach, with a tool only taking those texts that differ very little (punctuations, very low percentage of difference, like one word out of 30), and it only recovered about 71500 texts. That leaves about 2500 texts in english in the resulting file, mosty class, kit, item and spells, as I said.
    Doing the same kind of the comparison with BGEE allowed to get 1700 more texts. However many of them are not among the 74000 texts of ToB but related to new things in BGEE/BG2EE.

Translation of BG2EE will be a long process, without a doubt.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    Hello.

I apologize for having missed this thread entirely. I guess it's better late than never ;-P

Now, to shed some light on the dark of the matter: 12 is the total number of people with access to the German translation project, but that includes members of the Beamdog staff; the German team itself is actually smaller. People interested in volunteering and lending a hand should contact the German team leader, @NeoDragon.

The game text for BGII:EE is indeed massive, as the new content alone counts over 28,700 strings (for comparison, the entire BG:EE has 32,330 as of the latest beta build). The original game text counts above 74,000 strings which, as has been pointed out, have been revised fairly thoroughly to fix typos, mistakes, and inconsistencies.

I am sure the team will update its community on their work in due time, and I would leave any comments on the status of the German translation to them. I would just point out that albeit carried out by volunteers, our localization efforts are—for all intents and purposes—official products. To release an incomplete and inaccurate "text patch" as a workaround in an official fashion is not something we would consider as a viable solution; rather, we want to keep working with our volunteers to ensure that Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition get the best possible translation in all supported languages.