Skip to content

The Heavenly Arrow's Flight:Roisin's Journey (Solo Archer Playthrough w/RolePlay Style Storytelling)

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited March 2014
    Awesome run! I just found it out now. [spoiler=Some tips] Actually, the Elven resistance is lacking for some Charm spells (yeah, it's coded in the spells and not in the character) and IIRC for Power Word Sleep, but I am not very sure.
    I recommend using the Protection from Petrificatin scrolls instead of the Potion of Mirrored Eyes, the potion has a short duration, so you might get petrified in the middle of a battle (It happened to me in a Swashbuckler solo run), there is a Arcane (Wizard Spell) scroll that it blue and a green one that can be used by everyone but the wizard slayer (that might be difficult to get, or I just don't recall where it is).
    Then, Arrows of Dispelling are very good, they have 100 chances of casting a single target Dispel Magic spell with no save and it's 100 succeed, using on against Sarevok will remove his Haste effect, and it's nice against enemy mages, since it dispels all of their protections.
    For the Arrows of Detonation I suggest using the Paws of the Cheetah so you don't burn yourself with them (which happens a lot). And for the closing of this wall (at least ot looks taht way on my phone), I really recommend the Arrow of Slaying for Scar's 2nd Task,it saves you a difficult battle (asuming the Carrion Crawlers are around). [/spoiler]
    Edit: added spoiler tag to hide the wall (yeah, with my power I can unmake you, forge planes and hide walls).
    ElrandirJuliusBorisov
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    @CrevsDaak‌ Thank you! I actually just finished up another session and am about to add it now! I'm not surprised you haven't seen it before now. Putting things in Challenges and Playthroughs definitely garners less attention, but I feel it's the right place for it. *shrugs*

As for the protection, I should be able to make it with just the potions for most of the time. The only place where the spell might have been necessary is in the main basilisk area. Fortunately I had Korax and strategy, so it worked well. I've only ever seen one green scroll of the spell, and it was halfway through the game, so unless there's a shop I'm not aware of, it's not an ideal choice.

When it comes to arrows, I plan to keep a stack of each variety at all times. (as much as I can manage, anyway) Detonation arrows won't be as big a thing till later, but I'll definitely need them eventually.
    CrevsDaak
    edited March 2014
    Adventure! This time we get a little more into character development and meet a practically useless character I've decided will be a big part of Roisin's development! Because that's the fun of writing your own stuff. I'm afraid I don't have much in the way of screenshots this time either. I keep forgetting to take them as I play. Oh well. I've got a couple.

Setting out from Beregost, Roisin traveled southwest, down past the area with the abandoned lighthouse. Due to some attacks from wild creatures on her travels, she ended up coming there from the south. Traveling northwest, she encountered a hobgoblin named Ba’ruk, who said she was trespassing on his land. To Roisin’s surprise, he didn’t attack her outright, so, not seeing any harm in letting him live, told him she was just passing through. Unfortunately, the blasted knobgoblin was a fool, and attacked her anyway, along with several kobold commandos. Even with their fiery arrows, the kobolds couldn't land a blow on Roisin, and a single well placed arrow was enough for each. Ba’ruk was sturdy enough to survive one arrow, but another one brought him down. Roisin looted the kobolds, happy to gain a handful of magical arrows. Though they were enchanted so she could not know their full power, it was simple enough to tell from combatting the kobolds that they were fire arrows, which would no doubt come in handy in the future.

Moving back southeast some, she stumbled upon what seemed to be an archeological dig sit. Roisin was instantly intrigued. Walking up to the man who seemed to be the foreman, she inquired as to the circumstances around the dig. The man, who called himself Charleston Nib, said that they had had a great deal of trouble with bandits. He offered Roisin a position just guarding the dig site. Happy to oblige, if only to get a peek at what they would uncover, Roisin accepted. Charleston continued on to direct the others, but before Roisin could get around to do any actual guarding, another man came up. This one called himself Gallor, and something about his demeanor caused a great distrust in Roisin. When he gave his offer, she realized why. Charleston’s supposed “partner”, Gallor wanted more wealth from this little dig. Apparently Charleston was planning to donate their findings to a museum. Gallor propositioned Roisin to “remove” Charleston and steal the item. Unsurprisingly, Roisin would have none of it, and immediately refused him. Gallor stormed away, obviously angry. Roisin, disturbed by the occurrence, walked over to where Charleston was, to tell him about the conversation when suddenly he cried out that they were about to enter the last room. Roisin, not wanting to spoil the moment for him, accompanied Charleston into the tomb, ready to protect Charleston if need be.

The tomb was musty and dark, and something in the air made Roisin uncomfortable. As if to prove a point, the workers started to mention how they felt ill, then strange, and then that they heard voices in their heads! Suddenly they began to speak in a strange voice and language, as if they were possessed by something! Then, almost without warning, they attacked Charleston and Roisin! Untrained diggers, even possessed, were nothing to Roisin, and she easily put them down. Afterwards, she spoke to Charleston. He said he thought he could explain the worker’s madness. He recognized one of the words they spoke from the strange language, that word being Kozah. He elaborated, saying that it was the name of an ancient god of Pandemonium. He said that the tribe who lived here must have worshipped Kozah. There was a small stone artifact laying there, which Charleston said must be heavily cursed, and undoubtedly caused the chaos. Charleston said to leave the artifact, and bury it, never to be seen again. Roisin warned him of Gallor before he left and said to leave the burying of this place to her, which he thanked her for. Once Charleston had left however, she took the stone. Rather than bury it, Roisin felt it would be best to destroy such a relic.

The nearest temple was that of Nashkel, so she sought to go there quickly. To her surprise, when she exited the tomb a ghostly specter came up to her, speaking in the same ancient language that the workers had spoken in. Drawing her blade, Roisin prepared for a fight, knowing how this would end. Seeing that it’s magic would make it a great challenge to hit with a bow, she prepared her blade, hoping it would be enough. As expected, it attacked, and it was easily the hardest fight so far for her. They traded blows for a while, before Roisin finally put it down with a well placed stab. Though her wounds were not massive, they were deeper than any she’d taken before, and she bandaged them quickly, before moving on, hoping no other creatures would desire the idol.

Continuing to the southeast, she was suddenly halted by a woman, begging Roisin to go no further. She spoke of a man named Brage who apparently had been taking by madness. Regardless, this woman wanted to keep him safe. Apparently the man was the captain of the guard in Nashkel, and this woman, who said her name was Laryssa, was his cousin. She asked Roisin to save him if she could, and Roisin told her she would do her best. Moving slightly northward, Roisin saw the man, at the same time as he saw her. He came towards her, speaking almost in riddles. He said that he would ask a riddle, and if Roisin could guess the answer, they would return home. The riddle he posed was dark, it's creation undoubtedly linked with the curse that held him.

“It has neither mouth nor teeth, yet it eats its food steadily. It has neither village nor home, neither hands nor feet, yet it wanders everywhere. It has neither country nor means nor office nor pen, yet it is ready for fight — always. By dad and by night, there is waiting about it. It has no breath, yet to all it appears.”

Roisin thought a moment, pondering the answer. She was about to say war, but then the last line rang again in her head, and she realized the true answer. “yet to all it appears.” meant it was not war, but death. She spoke the answer and suddenly, clarity appeared in Brage’s eyes, and he cried out sorrowfully, realizing the dark deeds he had committed. He gave himself fully up to Roisin, telling her to take him back to town so he could pay for his actions. Roisin nodded sadly, and took him back, taking his weapon from him so he might not turn on her later. She took him to the temple of Helm, but as they entered Brage cried out, saying that he could not show his face here again. Not after what he had done. He wished to be given directly to the guard so he might be punished.

Fortunately for Roisin, the priest, a man named Nalin, took over. He told Brage to calm himself, that it was but his hands, not his will, that committed the deed. “Intent is vital, and your’s was influenced without your knowledge” Nalin told him. Placing a hand on Brage’s shoulder, he said that justice would be done through atonement, not punishment. Brage protested, speaking of his crimes, of his family that he slaughtered, of his desire to end it, but Nalin would have none of it. He said that if Brage was returned to the garrison and killed, his death would be the only willful killing that had occurred. Roisin was moved by the wisdom and forgiveness Nalin displayed, and stood there, noticeably touched by the incident. Nalin continued, saying that Brage's life, fractured as it was, could still contribute much. He then turned to Roisin, who attempted to look as orderly as possible, despite the grit and grime of travel and combat. Something about the man moved her, and she wished to be as orderly as she could before him. A faint smirk touched the corner of Nalin’s mouth, though neither Brage nor Roisin noticed. He thanked her, saying he would exceed the reward offered by Oublek, the local bounty officiator. He said the temple was in her debt. She felt a sense of accomplishment well up in her.

She then spoke up about the idol, and her desire to destroy it. He nodded approvingly, and she felt so proud of herself to find his approval and thanks not once, but twice, that a grin took hold of her face that she could not hide. He took it from her, saying he would deal with it appropriately. After taking it, he thanked her again, for bringing such a cursed relic to them. He said he could not spare a reward, however, but Roisin said that was no problem. She was merely happy to have been of service.

She then went to the local store and sold what little loot she had obtained, before going to the inn and taking a long nap, though the excitement of recent events left her so excited she had trouble sleeping. So much so, in fact, that she stayed at the inn not only for a few hours, but straight through the night. She had been moved by the mercy and intelligence Nalin had shown, and something in her told her that she wished to be more like him. She desired to be wise, and merciful, and just. Though she was never very religious, she had always respected the gods, but that night she offered a prayer to Oghma and Helm, for wisdom and justness. In the morning, she packed and prepared to explore the regions around the Gnoll Stronghold.
    CrevsDaak
    Though this may not interest most people, I changed the title of this thread slightly. I took out the word mild, since I think the role-play has gotten past mild now. =p Hopefully this won't deter people from checking the thread out.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Hey @Elrandir, yet another good read :) Your charname is very likeable, good job! Ah and good job as well on the Doomsayer, who's definitely tough to beat.
    Question: did Nalin really accept the statutette, as in a quest? or did you make that up?
    JuliusBorisov
    @Blackraven‌ Thank you!
    As for the statue, I just wanted a role-play excuse to fight the doomsayer. =p I just dropped it in front of Nalin and left. After I came up with the whole "Nalin leaving an impression on her" thing, it worked even better, since I could blend it with that.
    CrevsDaak
    Nice! I do those things sometimes.
    Just wanted to know if I hand't missed a possible quest.
    Hahaha No no. You're good.
    Blackraven
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    Yay! She's so pretty now, what with that full +4 HP/lvl

Posting the pictures inside the text is nice, stick with it. Love that you're taking my advice about roleplaying the traps!
    Elrandir
    @Tyranus‌ Isn't she? And alright then. Will do. Thanks for the idea. It's quite fun.
    I'm very sad, having discovered that wisdom does not give extra cleric\druid spells to paladins and rangers. I suppose I should have checked this, and probably given Roisin more INT than WIS, but such is life. And I shall not be greatly hampered by this mistake. I just might need to fear mind flayers slightly more than I could have.
    I'm back! Sorry for taking a three day weekend and the late post, but I'll be posting every day this week, unless something comes up! Anyway, here's an extra long post!

Roisin, eager to explore more of the wilds, set out from Nashkel in the morning and traveled up the road to Beregost. She decided to first explore the south Beregost road and then work her way southwest to the Gnoll Stronghold, work her way up and around Nashkel, and return there from the south. She had emptied her pack as best she could, knowing this would be a long journey, and likely to fill her pack to the brim, were it successful.

She arrived at the road from the west, having been taken off course somewhat by a marauding band of gnolls, but she quickly found her way back to the road. Along the way she encountered a small band of Hobgoblins, which she put down quickly. Among their petty treasures she found an enchanted pair of boots. Having no boots currently, she was excited by this, but knowing the dangers of unidentified magical items, (thanks largely to poor Brage) she simply placed them in her pack to be identified later. More interesting was the cave near the hobgoblins. Roisin was unsure whether they were guarding the cave, or just happened to be near it, but either way she saw no reason not to venture in. Inside she found nothing but a small storage bin with some healing potions and a small sack of gold pieces. Disappointed by the trivial fare, she sullenly traipsed over to where the road was, then, after exploring a bit more and seeing nothing else of interest, she traveled to the red canyons, and then from there, south.

She found herself in a new area, with a small lake ahead. Unfortunately, before she could enjoy the lake, she found herself assailed by a group of half-ogres. Then, when trying to avoid their blows, she managed to attract a group of skeletons! Finally with bow and blade she managed to cut or pierce them all, leaving a pile of corpses, and one tired (albeit uninjured) Roisin. Seeking to relax some, she stepped across a shallow part of the lake onto a small patch of land in the center. There was a man on the islet, who walked up to Roisin, babbling about the denizens of the water and testing her mettle. Flinching a little, Roisin looked around for any sirines, then realized the man likely meant fishing. The man seemed a touch looney, and Roisin, ever the charmer, pointed that out. The man shrugged her off, saying he had been put out of work from the iron crisis, but was optimistic, deciding to live off of fish. He then bid her good day and began singing. Realizing she’d find no rest here, Roisin traveled off the patch of land and walked around the lake, hoping to find a secluded spot.

Peace and quiet were not in Roisin’s future, however, and as she traveled around the lake, three bandits approached her, stating the same old “Drop your weapons, give us your money, we might let you live, blah blah blah.” Roisin, tired of these incessant bandits, responded harshly, and let fly an arrow at the female, who looked to be a mage. The woman fell with a cry, unable to react before the arrow struck. The human male, who had spoken before, chased after Roisin, but the Hobgoblin seemed to be in a stupor and didn’t move. (or he might have just been in the fog of war…) Roisin was puzzled by this, but decided to be like the so called optimist she’d met, and was simply grateful for the hobgoblin’s idiocy. Unfortunately, as she ran from the human, she attracted the attention of a war dog. After the bandit fell, the dog was a simple fight, however. Returning to where she had met the three, Roisin seemed to startle the hobgoblin, and he immediately began attacking her. His arrows, however, were no match for Roisin’s, and she shot him down. Though it was not a hard fight, it had also not been a waste of time. The mage was wearing a magical robe, and was carrying a variety of scrolls, which Roisin happily put into her pack.

Continuing south a short ways, she encountered yet another hobgoblin, though this one was noticeably wounded. He put up a tough facade, however, and told Roisin he needed money and some healing. He then threatened her. Roisin could not suppress her disbelief at the arrogance of the hobgoblin and responded with incredulity, asking why she shouldn’t just kill him. The hobgoblin, still trying to appear dangerous, stated that he was a member of the Chill, a mercenary band. He said if she kept pissing him off, then she’d have all of his friends breathing down her neck. Roisin was unfazed by the hobgoblin’s bluff, and began threatening and insulting him, thinking it might get her some information on these bandits. She told him to beg for his life and tell her about the Chill. The hobgoblin was obviously not expecting such fire from a small elf woman, and when he heard it, his knees began to visibly shake slightly. He did as Roisin had said, begging for his life, trying to barter for it with info about the Chill. Though Roisin had no love for filthy knobgoblins, he was injured and unable to harm her. She intended no real harm to him, though the feeling of power she got when she saw him beg was satisfying. She told him to spill what he knew, but his answer was quite perturbing. He told her almost nothing she did not already know, though he did mention that the Chill were part of the group raiding the merchant caravans, which was news to Roisin. Not that the Chill were part of the group, but that there was a group.

Though Roisin had no real desire to try and save the sword coast, (more out of underestimating her own abilities, rather than a lack of empathy for the people of the sword coast) the knowledge that the bandits were made up from multiple groups was quite an interesting tidbit of info. If Roisin met any Flaming Fist members along her journey, she would pass the information along. Assuming, that is, that they didn’t try to accuse her of banditry, as the last group had. Regardless, the hobgoblin had told her what she had asked of him, though not in great detail, and she let him go.

As she watched him shuffle off into the distance she heard a great clamor, like that of a great war party of gnolls. Rushing over to see what the commotion was about, she found a man, a drow, beset by a large band of gnolls. He called out to her, asking for assistance, and suddenly, something about his strong voice and iconic garb caused her to realize who he was. Of course she would know! She had heard many great tales of his heroics from Winthrop, though until now she believed them to be just that. Great tales, nothing more. But here, standing in front of her, calling for aid, was the mighty Drizzt Do’Urden! She pondered why he would require assistance with a band of gnolls, but she gladly answered him, saying she would join him in the fight.

Though she brought down three gnolls herself, Roisin was amazed by the skill and power Drizzt displayed. Stories can only do so much when describing the might of a man. With the last gnoll dead, Drizzt stepped over the pile of corpses to where Roisin was standing. He introduced himself, and then inquired as to the frequency of banditry in these parts, saying he did not recall this area being so rife with chaos. Roisin, enamored with the man she had heard so many stories of, spat out some silliness about the raids never ceasing, but now Drizzt was here, the people of the sword coast need worry no longer. He responded in a way which surprised her, saying that were she to think carefully about it, she would not desire his help. He continued on to say that he had many powerful enemies, who would interfere. He did not end harshly, however, giving her a tip to use her mind, as well as her blade, for it was secondary in power. Realizing what a giddy fool she had been, just for meeting what was to her, a famous hero, she snapped out of it, and thanked him for his advice, before wishing him well on his journey. He wished her well, saying luck be on your side. Roisin couldn’t help but think of Thalantyr and smirk, remembering his statement about wishing her intelligence, as luck is fading.

After looting all of the gnoll corpses, she found a clump of trees on the western side of the area, near the lake, and made a bed for the night. As she fell asleep she thought of all the incredible people she had been blessed to meet in her life. She thought mostly of Drizzt, as the recentness of their meeting was hard to ignore, but she also thought of Nalin, and even Gorion. She almost wished she’d been a bit kinder to him, given him less trouble. She sighed and offered a short prayer up to Oghma and Helm, before going to sleep for the eve.

JuliusBorisovBlackravenCrevsDaak
    Great writing once again! Looking forward to what lies ahead for Roisin.
    Elrandir
    Thanks as always, Blackraven!

Alright, question time. This is one for far in the future. (Or at least a couple months from now, probably)
    Do you guys think that Rasaad's quests in SoA would be something Roisin would be willing to assist with? I know it's a solo playthrough, but I'm almost in it more for the story now, rather than the challenge. It's not Rasaad I care about, so much, but it's for a big furry companion that Roisin wouldn't be able to meet without doing Rasaad's questline. Yup. I mean Wilson. He's not a human, and Roisin would have no issue with a bear companion. I hate that I have to go through an NPC's quest to meet him, but I have to wonder if I can't make it work. I mean, I know I can role-play it, but it seems a little cheap to force it. I know Rasaad is a good guy and so there'd be no real alignment challenge, but joining up with people isn't something Roisin necessarily desires... Basically I just want Wilson. Thoughts?
    My opinion is that in BG2 with all the NPC-related quests, the roleplaying experience is more realistc if you (temporarily) recruit NPCs for specific quests. I'm not sure if you've ever played BG2 before or just now for the first time with your bard, so I'm not going to spoil anything. I also have no idea how to create spoilers in a post :/
    But your chaotic good ranger will likely have to do some things that go against her alignment if you want to be a strict solo'er and do certain quests, for example with your fellow ranger Valygar whom you've surely heard of. It would make for a more technical playthrough (purely for the challenge, less for the roleplaying experience IMO), nothing wrong with that, but I think it's not what you're after because your writing reveals that you're playing Roisin true to her personality and alignment.
    So I wouldn't worry over Wilson...

ElrandirJuliusBorisov
    @Blackraven‌ So I can expect to gain Wilson? Good. Thanks for the info. I'll generally still try to avoid recruiting people while still doing their quests whenever possible, (as with Minsc in BG1) but I certainly can't see Roisin straight out refusing to help someone because they want to join her. Unless she has a good reason, of course.
    Blackraven
    @Elrandir, I didn't say you can 'expect' to gain Wilson, cause I'm not exactly sure what conditions you'll have to meet for that. I merely said that I saw no reason not to try and recruit him.
    Ah. I see. *nods* Well it's just a matter of doing Rasaad's quests and then finding Wilson in one of Rasaad's quest areas. We'll see what Rasaad's quests look like when we get to them. Anyway, that's a long way off. Thanks for the thoughts.
    Yes... months you reckoned? You're taking it relatively slow with Roisin. What level is she?
    I dunno. It could be. I suppose that's unlikely, though. I mostly said that to account for any delays. As for her level, she's already nearing 100k xp, so she's not far from cap. I generally like completing the majority of quests, though thinking further on it, that's hardly necessary. There aren't too many sidequests she'll need to do once she hits cap, since she doesn't need much in the way of gear. In fact, she's already got her final armor, and most of her other gear will be obtained as she completes the main quests. I suppose after completing Nashkel she might want to progress through the main quest rapidly.
    Wow 100k is great. Well you probably know what gear you want her to use.
    I almost always do the same thing btw: acumulate XP, then do Nashkel and the other plot quests. Doing the lots of quests without being able to level up any further just feels less rewarding (unless you get some cool gear).
    Elrandir
    Well, she's at 89k, so she's getting pretty close to 100k. (just checked) And yeah, I like roflstomping my way through the mines, so I do the majority of the side areas first. Just amuses me greatly. After finishing up the areas in the southwest, I'll probably hit up the areas I need to find\buy gear in, and then head on to Nashkel.
    Yes very recommendable to get as many levels as possible... The plot quests have a couple of tricky boss fights: bandit tent, Davaeorn, Duchal Palace. I've never played an archer. I'm inclined to believe they're difficult to play effectively in cramped places.
    Thank goodness for EE making enemies follow you out of rooms. The two most valuable arrow types I'll get will be dispelling and detonation. One's a mage killer, the other is a party killer. I think I can get some dispelling arrows from Thalantyr, so that'll be a nail in Davaeorn's coffin. As for the bandit tent, I'll see about getting a certain amulet to make up for a lack of detonation arrows. Once I get to Baldur's Gate itself, no more will groups of enemies threaten me, since I can purchase detonation arrows. Other than that, most things won't be too much of a challenge, I believe.
    Blackravenlolien
    Ah it's good you've got it all figured out! (I've never had to think about these things since I normally focus more on melee and spellpower.)
    Yeah, archers are pretty simple to figure out strategies for. It's mainly "shoot stuff with different arrows depending on the situation and sometimes use items."
    Well that's still more tactical than my current Wizard Slayer I guess. With her it's just: "You point, I punch!" lol. Will have to see how long Ipm going to keep that up....
    Elrandir
    Well the phrase "Might makes right" exists for a reason. =p
    Blackraven
    edited March 2014
    The next leg of the journey. I forgot to take pictures this time around, so you'll have to make do with text this time. Sorry!

In the morning, Roisin traveled southwest, going to an area she had been to before, but had not explored. There was a small stone mountain, in which Roisin had seen one small path running through. When she was last here, she was more interested in getting to the Gnoll Stronghold, so she had ignored it, but now she was free to explore. As she entered the path, she saw two xvarts. Before they could cry out, she silenced them with arrows. Roisin knew quite well how annoying, if not dangerous, a full xvart war party was, and she did not wish to deal with a group of them. Traveling further north, she saw three more, and dealt with them similarly. As she moved to find what loot they possessed, another group attacked her, this time crying out. Sighing, Roisin prepared to deal with the large group she expected. Fortunately, it seemed Roisin had already dealt with most of the ones in the area, and only a few more appeared.

She came upon a group of huts, signaling that this was a xvart village. As she began exploring, a xvart wearing more intricate clothing approached her, crying out about her having killed them when they did nothing to her. Of course, she would have let them all live peacefully, were they willing to let her be, but convincing the chieftain of her innocence was unlikely at best. The xvart then said that “Ursa” would kill her. Knowing what that name meant, Roisin sighed again. A bear. As she expected, a large cave bear came lumbering towards her. To her surprise, however, it moved past her and began attacking the xvart chieftain. “Ursa is kind, eh?” Roisin thought to herself, since the chieftain had said the bear would protect them because of that fact. As the bear munched on the chieftain’s face, Roisin brought it down with a few well placed arrows. Afterwards she explored the rest of the village, clearing out the xvarts whenever they attacked. She felt a bit bad about wiping out a village, but they had attacked her, she merely defended herself.

After she had finished searching, she traveled up past the village, having seen a small cave entrace. Upon entering the cave, she came face to face with yet another bear. After placing a couple of arrows in it’s snout, she ran outside the cave, to gain a little distance. Once she had moved far enough away, she fired one last arrow, which put the beast to sleep for good. Returning to the cave, she found a small crate containing a potion, some bracers, and a flail. The bracers and flail were both magical, and Roisin was greatly interested in the effects of the bracers. After exploring the area a bit more, she traveled west, having found nothing else of interest.

When she had reached the next area, night had fallen, so she made a small fire, and bedded down for the night. In the morning, she traveled northwest a short ways. She had found herself in an area with a large river, and she wondered if there might be a bridge she could use to cross it. Near a clump of trees stood a man, and upon seeing Roisin he called to her. He started out friendly enough, but when he introduced himself as “Neville, the fairest of all fair bandits”, Roisin knew what was coming. Assuming not even a bandit would be dumb enough to try and face an adventurer on his own, she scanned the trees, and saw several hobgoblins, hiding with bows drawn. Neville continued to ask what he could do for her, and being quite tired of the constant attempts at banditry, Roisin said for him to tell his men to drop their bows and step into the open. Neville asked if she had found all five of them, and Roisin mentally cursed, having only found four. Neville then stated the usual bandit jargon. Roisin, happy to assist these fools with finding their death, filled Neville with three arrows before he could attack. After a short exchange of arrows, Roisin began attending to the few minor injuries she had gained from the hobgoblin’s arrows. The hobgoblins, of course, were not so fortunate. Once she had bandaged herself, Roisin looted the corpses and found little besides some extra arrows and petty gems. Neville himself was carrying an enchanted longsword, however, which Roisin happily took.

To her delight, she then also saw a bridge across the river. Before she was able to cross, however, she had to deal with a group of ogres and hobgoblins, which were noticeably more skilled than the average ones she was used to dealing with. Nothing a few arrows couldn't solve, however. Crossing the bridge, she found herself face to face with a woman, who appeared to be of knightly training. The woman introduced herself as Laurel, a paladin, and asked if Roisin would assist her in dealing with a group of gibberlings. Roisin saw no reason not to, and agreed. Shortly thereafter, a group of gibberlings did indeed attack. Against Laurel and Roisin they stood no chance and were quickly wiped out. Laurel thanked Roisin and bid her farewell.

Traveling west a short ways, Roisin saw an ogre. Though Roisin was at first ready to fight, the beast seemed peaceful, busy preparing itself a meal. Roisin approached it, and attempted to speak with it, but the beast simply grumbled at her, telling her to leave it alone till it was “fat-happy”. Roisin shrugged and left the beast, happily eating. It had said they would fight after it was full, but Roisin saw no reason to wait.

Continuing south along the river front, she encountered a polar bear. Following her usual strategy of keeping her distance, she managed to deal with the beast, but it’s size belied it’s speed, and it caught up to her once, delivering a deep gash to Roisin. It nearly caught her again, but a well placed (crit) arrow signaled it’s doom. Seeing another bridge, she crossed it, only to find a terrified man running up to her, babbling about the polar bear. She assured him it had been dealt with and he thanked her, paying her 50 gold pieces. Not much, but considering she’d dealt with the beast regardless of him, she couldn’t complain. (I would have loved to have gotten the boots he gives, but with a 10 CHA it just wasn’t meant to be. You might say I could’ve had a better reputation, but it’s already at 19. A 20 wouldn’t have helped.)

At this point, Roisin was tired, slightly injured, and her pack was mostly filled, so she decided to take a break and return to Nashkel, sell some things, and then return for the last two areas. An exciting ambush took place on the way back, though. Roisin was beset by an ogre mage, the first of it’s kind that Roisin had met. It peppered her with magic missile, but was unable to do much before it was put down. The mage possessed some nice items, however, so it was a nice end to a profitable venture.

Once in Nashkel, she immediately headed to the store. The magical items she had gained along the way were largely uninteresting, though the boots would allow her to sneak more effectively. Wearing naught but a pair of old well worn boots, Roisin saw no reason to ignore them. She was disappointed when she discovered the bracers were useless to her, though. They were only good for minor protection, as that of leather armor. Roisin then headed to the inn for a nice nap, before setting out for those last two areas. She spent the night there, setting out again in the morning for the last two areas south of Nashkel.

Edit: Did this installment seem less interesting to you guys? I dunno. Something about my writing tonight seemed off, but it might just be me.
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    @Elrandir, there's nothing wrong with your writing. You're actually quite articulate (in case you didn't know)! I also liked reading this because I usually never bother with these two areas.
    She's already pretty deadly by now. Similar to my WS (though obviously ranged rather than melee). Have you dealt with any buffed (stoneskin, mirror image) spellcasters besides the ogre mage? I wonder how you'd fare if you didn't have arrows of dispelling at your disposal.
    ElrandirJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak