Skip to content

Definite Good and Evil Traits

deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
I am currently working on a project I dreamt up and need a little help and insight.

I am looking for character traits that can be considered good or evil and then a little blurb of why they are considered that.

For example. Being greedy can be considered an evil trait, because of the persons inability to share or think of others needs. On the flip side being loyal can be considered a good trait because you think about people that are important to you and how your actions would effect them.

I need about 15-20 of each good and evil for this project to work so any help would be nice.
CrevsDaak

Comments

• NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited March 2014
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    deltago said:

why they are considered that.

I personally think that someone judging you of being good/evil is completely a personal point of view, many people see me as a good person, while others see me like an evil manic, it comes to which person (and what you've done to them :P) and how they think of you.

I'll still think that this is a cool idea anyways!

1) Good Trait: trying to help others just because you have the possibility to do so.
    2) Evil Trait: make others feel bad and suffer because you find fun on doing that.
    3) Evil Trait: destroy things others need but you don't while you have them (for example: burn a bill besides a beggar).
    4) Evil Trait: involve innocent persons in a trial/judgement to prove yourself un-guilty by accusing them (this is more Chaotic than Evil I think)
    5) Good Trait: share what you have and don't have need of.
    deltago
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    CrevsDaak said:

deltago said:

why they are considered that.

1) Good Trait: trying to help others just because you have the possibility to do so.
    2) Evil Trait: make others feel bad and suffer because you find fun on doing that.
    3) Evil Trait: destroy things others need but you don't while you have them (for example: burn a bill besides a beggar).
    4) Evil Trait: involve innocent persons in a trial/judgement to prove yourself un-guilty by accusing them (this is more Chaotic than Evil I think)
    1. I like it, but what one word would that be the definition of? Charity?
    2. Tyranny and Oppression I like.
    3. Destruction is a good one that I haven't thought of
    4. Purjurer is another one I didn't think of. But I find it close to lying or being a liar (which can also be described as bad)
    5. Or is this charity?
  • FuRYFuRY Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2014
    I think Charity can be a double edged sword. It is mainly considered an act of kindness however if you give not to help others but for self benefit is that considered an act of kindness? Giving money in exchange for favourable standing for example. You are indeed doing some good with the intent of giving to help but if you are giving in exchange for political favours or some other selfish need then is that considered bad?

There was a passage in a Salvatore book I read a few months ago when Drizz't wishes to help some peasant farmers by giving them gold only to have Dahlia scold him for his wish to do so. Claiming that whilst giving gold may be slightly beneficial, in the end it would only cause misery if said peasant attracts the attention of bandits or indeed shows up in Luskan brandishing gold coins she should not have.

Grey seems to be a popular shade now a days rather than the classic black and white.

---EDIT---

Moving on to loyalty. Whilst I think loyalty is an admirable trait in anyone can it really be defined simply by good and evil? Loyalty to a just cause and righteous movement seems good in my eyes. But loyalty to the opposite end of the spectrum would appear evil. That said do evil people consider themselves evil? Does a priest of Talos see themselves as bad people? Do terrorists see themselves likewise? If anything I believe that they see themselves as righteous and operate for the greater good in their eyes which contradicts what 'good' people value.

I imagine there are extremes of people who do evil deeds and consider their actions harmful, dangerous, even evil and take enjoyment from it as a sadist would. I think they would happily categorize their actions and belief as such. I also imagine they'd see loyalty to any other than themselves as bad and weak even if the loyalty is to an evil cause.

Maybe I am talking nonsense or trying to look too much into it.

---EDIT---

Extending on causing harm and injury to others because it satisfies evil desires to cause misery for the sport of it. What is the difference in a goodly being cause harm and misery to an evil being and revelling in that? Sure an evil being may (or may not) be causing harm to an innocent just because they feel like it. But is that so different in the way a goodly character may take enjoyment and satisfaction in eviscerating a so called evil entity?

Cadderly once obliterates a demon for insulting his family. The demon was bound in a circle and his threats would not be realised. That said, Cadderly removes the protective circle just to cause the demon harm and satisfy his need to hurt the creature. Yes I realise that demons are typically evil incarnate, however that said. Did Cadderly not in this instance give in to his desire to cause harm and punishment to sate his anger? Is that evil in itself or is it considered good due to the victim of his insatiable fury at the time?

I realise that example is a little bit of a long shot but I'm just curious how we define the trait as evil in itself when applied by an evil being and a goodly being.
    Post edited by FuRY on
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    deltago said:

CrevsDaak said:

1. I like it, but what one word would that be the definition of? Charity?
    2. Tyranny and Oppression I like.
    3. Destruction is a good one that I haven't thought of
    4. Purjurer is another one I didn't think of. But I find it close to lying or being a liar (which can also be described as bad)
    5. Or is this charity?
    1 and 5 look like the same to me (Charity), I missed that when I wrote it. I have much more Evil traits personally so that might be why I know more of them than good.
  • ZaknafeinBaenreZaknafeinBaenre Member Posts: 349
    This is a scary topic to even contemplate participating in, which is why I can't help myself.

Evil
    1. Lust: Don't bone Phaere guys. I know she's hot, but it's wrong, especially to the chick you are at the time romancing.
    2. Envy: Don't kill Drizzt for his gear. Come on, you don't *really* need it. Help the embattled drow out and enjoy slaughtering some knolls together.
    3. Prejudice: The trap of so many wannabe good people. Judging another on the basis of stereotype or preconceived notion is evil. This will be the biggest point of contention, but everyone here with a sound moral compass knows you can't go find any middle easterner that's minding his own business, call him a terrorist, kill him, and then claim the moral high ground. This translates to BG just like every other facet of morality.

Good - a caveat to good: Good and evil are not the only two categories. There is a such thing as neutral.
    1. Selflessness: You see a need, you give of yourself to fill it without asking for or considering personal gain.
    2. Responsibility: You do not act without considering the consequences and the long-term effects. Willful ignorance is not an excuse for irresponsibility and cannot be considered the trait of a good person. Buying swords and ale for kids is not the act of a good guy!
    3. Courage: Seeing and knowing what need to be done mean nothing without the conviction and courage to go through with it and do it. Sitting on the sidelines for fear of harm to oneself is the act of a coward. The truly good will risk oneself for the greater good in the face of threat, danger, tyranny, or oppression.
    BlackravenNonnahswriterCrevsDaak
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Interesting topic.

@ZaknafeinBaenre: I like your list, though I would call evil no. 2 greed rather than envy (supposing you're not Artemis Entreri, and that you're only really interested in the weapons and armor).
    An example of evil sprouting from envy could be Kalah who got sick of being ridiculed and looked down upon his whole life in the circus; desiring respect and recognition from others he built his own illusory realm at the cost of others. Another (more classic) example would be Kain who slew his more successful brother Abel out of envy.

A few additions from my part:

Evil:
    1. Pride can be considered evil, because it entails feelings of superiority over other people. (If you didn't feel superior in one sense or other, if all human beings shared your pride-inspiring trait, you wouldn't feel proud in the first place. People aren't proud of having two legs, but they would be if 99% of the world population had only one leg.) Pride separates people rather than uniting them.

Good:
    1. Empathy/Compassion. Being able to let go of your own viewpoint and step in someone else's shoes makes people more understanding and tolerant of each other.
    2. Forgiveness is 'good' because it prevents/ends conflicts and resentment.
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    1. Evil Trait:Murder tiny kittens.
    2. Good Trait:Murder tiny evil kittens.

Detect evil. For when you don't want to bother with that "what if" malarkey.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

1. Lust: Don't bone Phaere guys. I know she's hot, but it's wrong, especially to the chick you are at the time romancing.

But what if you're not romancing a chick at the time...? :D

"Ahem."

Or Dorn, for that matter. :D
    ZaknafeinBaenre
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Oookay. I had to drop my $.02 here. Lust doesn't equate to desire, but to possession. Wanting to possess something merely for the sake of having it- not because it's valuable or someone you love, but in a "I have this and you don'!" sort of way. And never being satisfied with what you have- the constant need for more. That's how I'd define lust. In a sex sort of way. it's scoring with someone to add a notch to your bedpost, not because you like or love them. Feeling better because you've scored with X+1 people instead of X.

And it's not Pride, but excessive Pride that's a problem. Not just "I can do this and that's a good thing.", but "I am the best at this and nobody else can even come close!"

What makes the evil trait list? Cruelty- hurting people for the hell of it, or as they say now, "For shits and giggles." Wrath- constantly being angry at everyone around you. Everything pisses you off and you yell at everyone and have a bad attitude because you can't control your inappropriate rage. Envy- constantly being dissatisfied with what you have and wanting what everyone you see has in addition to your own. Never being happy with what you already have. Being a liar- nobody can trust you because you don't tell the truth. Extreme Self-Centeredness- Nobody matters to you but you. Those starving Kids in Africa can go off and die- I keep my money for ME.

Good traits- Kindness- Treating everyone nicely. Helping people when they need it for no other reason than that you can. Compassion- Having sympathy for others- trying to understand why they are doing things and where they are coming from. Treating others as they would want you to treat them.

Paul Jacquays wrote three sourcebooks for various RPGs, Heroes of Legend (Fantasy), Heroes of Tomorrow (Sci-Fi) and Heroes Now (Modern Day, Horror and the Near Past, like 1920's, and Superheroes). In each one, he had lists of traights, Categorized into four groups- Lightside (Generally seen as good), Darkside (evil, natch), Neutral (self-explanatory) and Exotic. Exotic was experiences that caused what might be seen as some kind of insanity/mental illness or twisting of the moral compass. A whole bunch of these were sex traits. Yes, in the first book, being Gay or Bisexual was considered to be a Darkside trait rolled on the Exotic traits tree. And apparently, he got lots of heat for that because the next two books eliminated that entire table to roll on (although sex traits were still considered under the exotic section- the GMs and Players were basically told to make it up on their own). I think the books are out of print, although I have copies. You might want to check out the books. I added the part about the exotic traits as a caveat, though. The books aren't perfect.
    NonnahswriterCrevsDaak