Skip to content

Mac App Store still showing v1.2.0

I'm not sure if this has been answered already but it seems the MAS version of BGII:EE is at 1.2.0 rather than 1.2.2030 which is what everyone else on other platforms seem to be using.

Does the MAS version have the changes from build 1.2.2030 incorporated into it or have the developers simply not gotten around to submitting the update to Apple for inclusion?
MacRPGer

Comments

• MacRPGerMacRPGer Member Posts: 7
    I would like to know this as well. In fact, this seemingly lack of attention is why I had held of purchasing this game from the Mac App Store. Oh well, there are other newer RPGs I could be buying...
  • allahwhoakbarsallahwhoakbars Member Posts: 7
    I suppose in theory we could download a pirated copy of BGII:EE with the patch applied but this raises all sorts of moral questions, not to mention you never know if a backdoor is included in anything.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

I suppose in theory we could download a pirated copy of BGII:EE with the patch applied

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/312654/#Comment_312654
    Yes, thank you for that. I have legally purchased the game but unfortunately the experience for those who bought it on the MAS is slightly deteriorated from those who have purchased it directly from beamdog which I think is a trifle unfair.

I don't condone piracy, if I did I wouldn't have purchased both Baldur's Gate games nor would I be on this forum seeking a solution for a self-inflicted (by the developers) problem.
    MacRPGer
    Unless Beamdog plans to release another major patch for Mac/PC soon, then certainly it would be nice if they uploaded the current official patched version to the Mac App Store as well. The latest version is v1.2.2030 if I recall?
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    They claimed to have uploaded in November IIRC but noone seems to take it seriously enough to follow up with apple on why it's not updating. ipad release was also held up but there was enough pressure in the forums that they pushed.
    MacRPGeratakdog
    Skaffen said:

They claimed to have uploaded in November IIRC but noone seems to take it seriously enough to follow up with apple on why it's not updating. ipad release was also held up but there was enough pressure in the forums that they pushed.

And that's a shame not to follow up, because one of the main SELLING POINTS of BGIIEE is that the game is cross-platform playable between iPads, Macs and PCs. But that promise won't work unless the players all have the same identical most-updated versions of the game.
    allahwhoakbars
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It sounds like the 1.2.2030 patch wasn't ever uploaded to the Mac App Store; we'll make sure the 1.3 patch gets there, along with all of the other platforms.
    CrevsDaakTroodon80AstroBryGuyMacRPGer
  • vitaboyvitaboy Member Posts: 4
    Hear, hear. Didn't Beamdog promise that version harmonization was a core goal?

What exactly happened that it took 4 months for anyone from Beamdog to indicate the Mac App Store version had never been submitted in the first place?

Even now, it seems like there is a deafening silence and a ducking of a promise made to your customers.

Waiting for the 1.3 isn't good enough IMHO. Please just own up and let us Mac users go back to being happy.
    allahwhoakbarsatakdog
    cybium said:

Edit: also noted that you can't even leave a comment on appstore to warn other potential buyers.

You can certainly leave a review on the App Store, a negative one, to warn others of the game's flaws and to warn them that they are buying an "older" outdated version of the game because Beamdog has not bothered to submit/upload the latest patch.
    vitaboyatakdog
  • cybiumcybium Member Posts: 4
    already done with the review on MAS ;)

so despite the bugs i tried to keep playing by removing the characters that wouldn't shut up (Dorn, Haxxat). but now Viconia is stuck in an infinite loop of selection voice over bug and she too had to be removed. I tried to play with just the remaining two party members, but unfortunately without cleric or thief there's only so much I can do..

This is a case of a company releasing a game that is not playable for a premium price. Does anyone know where we can place formal complaints and hopefully get our money back?
    vitaboyatakdog
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    edited March 2014
    @Dee this is getting ridiculous. You know I've been very critical of the priorities you show and the lack of support for the pretty buggy BG2 (esp. the new content) but this is just a slap in the face of your customers. Probably a small number compared to PC version but you made a commitment to the Mac platform and I loved you for it. I don't see 1.3 coming before late Q3.

Pretty please with sugar on top upload the version and get your sh*t together on BG2 for a quick interim patch fixing some low hanging fruits and glaring bugs and get everyone on the same patch level instead of fiddling with BG1 minor enhancements compared to a few game and contentbreaking BG2 bugs. I'm not compaining that your team is too small to get everything done but I am complaining about your priorities and you are destroying your fanbase from the beginning.

Of course it's a self-fulfillng prophecy, the justified bad reviews will lead to fewer sales which will lead to the platform being even more marginalized.
    vitaboyatakdog
  • cybiumcybium Member Posts: 4
    Guys, this app is now eligible for a refund. I just got all my itunes credit back. follow the link for instructions http://www.labnol.org/software/itunes-app-store-refunds/13838/

if you don't want to follow the link, all you do is find your email receipt and follow the prompts and click on "problem with this app" and click on refund at the end.

cheers
  • vitaboyvitaboy Member Posts: 4
    What's really galling is deafening wall of silence from any of the forum's admins or Beamdog itself. The issue was barely acknowledged in this thread, i.e. "it sounds like the patch wasn't ever uploaded...."

Is it the responsibility of the patch to upload itself? How can a software developer "forget" to upload a major patch to a well-known channel of distribution?
    atakdog
  • LookToWindwardLookToWindward Member Posts: 179
    edited March 2014
    Hi,

Could someone please tell me the latest versions of BG-EE and BG2-EE for Mac?

I've bought BG-EE and BG2-EE from the Mac App Store and from reading this it doesn't look like I have the right version. How can you tell which version you have installed? When I do a Get Info from the finder it just says 1.2.0 - no build number, why is this?

Also, when I look at BG-EE on the Mac App Store, it doesn't show up in the "Update" Tab, only the "Purchases" Tab, however, if you double click the name of the App in the "Purchases" Tab for BG-EE, it will take you do a page showing the BG game info, on my system, where it would normally say "installed" or the price for you to buy it, it now shows "Update" and the version number 1.2.0.2029, is this the latest version of BG-EE?

When I clicked the Update Button from the BG-EE page it started to download - you can see the progress in the "Purchases" tab - it's a 2.2 GB download, once this has completed, it says "installed". If I now double click on the BG-EE again, it takes me to the App Page BUT the Update Button is still lit up like it hasn't actually updated anything! What is going on? Why are these apps different from the 100,000's+ other Apps on the Store that update correctly?

I tried the same with BG2-EE but it doesn't show the "Update" button, just "Installed".

From reading this thread it seems like Beamdog tool our money for the Game via the App Store and now could care less about providing updates. I think that complaining to Apple a lot might help, eventually if enough people complain will take the App down from the Store which will hurt them in their pockets (where it hurts most!) and maybe they will upload updates more often.

I am just talking about the Mac versions of BG-EE and BG2-EE, not the iPad which I haven't purchased and I doubt I will as the GUI is bad enough on the Mac and I think it would be abysmal on the iPad.

Cheers
    Dave
    Hi, Dave. If you purchased the games from Beamdog for the Mac platform it will be updated to the version used by Windows however if you purchased it from the Mac App Store you'll find both games will be at version 1.2 still.

I haven't actually played BGII yet despite purchasing it months ago because when I started BGI before a major patch I encountered a few game breaking bugs.

They have the game ready for OS X, patches applied and all. They simply need to submit it to Apple for review which takes about 2-3 business days and then it goes live for us.

I really don't understand what the problem is. I don't see why they can't have the coffee bitch click 3 or 4 times to upload the patched app to Apple and then go away to make more coffee.

I'm tempted to ask for a refund too but I just find it so convenient to have BG linked with my iTunes account so I can use it anywhere or download it whenever.

How many employees does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Six. You need a party of 6 employees. A magic-user, a warrior, one cleric, a thief, one druid, and a gnome tinkerer.
    allahwhoakbarsUnferth
  • UnferthUnferth Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2014
    @MacRPGer I'd sub in a bard to handle marketing and PR...
  • LookToWindwardLookToWindward Member Posts: 179
    Thanks for this!

Do you see the weird behaviour as me on the Mac App Store? e.g. When I look at BG-EE in the Mac App Store, it doesn't show up in the "Update" Tab, only the "Purchases" Tab, however, if you double click the name of the App in the "Purchases" Tab for BG-EE, it will take you do a page showing the BG game info, on my system, where it would normally say "installed" or the price for you to buy it, it now shows "Update" and the version number 1.2.0.2029, is this the latest version of BG-EE?

When I click the Update Button it starts to download - you can see the progress in the "Purchases" tab - it's a 2.2 GB download, once this has completed, it says "installed". If I now double click on the BG-EE again, it takes me to the App Page BUT the Update Button is still lit up and says 1.2.0.20289, like it hasn't actually updated anything?!?!?
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Is there any hint when BG2 patch 1.3 might happen? There is a play test for BG1 v1.3 ongoing, that seems stalled, and that Mac App Store folks are not able to help with, despite possibly now having a strong vested interest! I see no news or hints of a BG2 v1.3, other than Dee's message in this thread though.

In the meantime, I have started a thread in the BG2 discussion forum on how best to play the game while working around the known (game-breaking) bugs that have been patched - hopefully without spoilers.
    atakdog
    @Dee: 4 weeks since I last asked for a hint about when there might be a patch for Mac, that other platforms received within less than half that time - even the Steam version that had to go via Atari. We are now over 5 months since I bought the game (November 22) and we still cannot get an estimate of further delays, never mind the patch itself. If there was substantial new work involved the lack of patch might be understandable, but you already released the same Mac patch to your direct customers. "We forgot to send it to Apple" can buy you a week or two's grace (I do not know how long the Apple approval process takes) but surely with another month gone by you could at least have found an explanation for why you still have not submitted, or Apple have rejected, the existing patch? You referred to a 1.3 patch, and if that had been imminent that /might/ have been a reasonable reason to defer, but not for a whole month if all that stands between us and the existing patch is Apple paperwork. In fact, a month later, the only real hint that a 1.3 for BG2EE exists is your reference above, the BG1EE beta thread seems stalled, and we feel no closer to actually having any patch to let us trust our game will not corrupt saves (as documented in the existing patch notes) which seems pretty game-breaking important.

As a community, we Mac App store users have tried being patient, but it seems we are only ignored. I am now frustrated, breaking ranks, and ranting. I don't know what else to do to see our issues addressed (or even acknowledged) And while I hope someone representing BeamDog can take time out to reply and address these concerns, my honest expectation is that I will be writing a repeat rant in a month's time about how we still have not heard anything back and are just as in the dark.

I honestly fear the Mac App Store community has now been written off, as we are not loud enough to be heard, not as profitable as buying directly from BeamDog, and demoted to an accident of history that the company would rather forget. The thing that really riles is that assuming I am correct, they didn't even do the decent thing and tell us - we have been dumped without even a "thank you, but goodbye" note.

I am embarrassed that this rant feels like it is directed at a small group of people working incredibly hard to solve problems for many customers, while still finding time to create new (not yet announced) products to keep the company going, I understand that is really hard, but 7 weeks of silent treatment (after an initial 3 months of silence) is beyond breaking point - you are not being fair to us either. And the thing that really hurts is that I really don't like being embarrassed by writing in this tone, I always want to look to the positive and build on common ground, but we no longer have any. Even when (if) a patch is released, the fact I was pushed to thus public embarrassment is an injury that will not go away - and due entirely to the lack of communication, rather than the lack of patch. Please at least address the communication issue before others fall into the mire with me.
    Unferthatakdog
    Thanks, @GreenWarlock, for this eloquent cri de cœur. I couldn't agree more. No one wants to seem spoiled or demanding, which is probably why more people (me included) haven't spoken out. But I think we're well past the point of being either of those things.

@Dee‌, if there were serious problems with the platform or some other intractable technical conundrum, I imagine the App Store folks would be merely disappointed, not angry. But we seem to have been shunted aside, deemed worthy of no more than a sentence or two after months of confounded waiting. Even beyond questions of product quality, which are of course important, it all feels incredibly marginalizing: we're not current and so can't really be part of the conversation here. I think a big perk of this relaunch for a lot of people was that (to your great credit) it allowed us to discover or rediscover the community surrounding these games. Now, having paid our shekels the same as everyone else, we feel like that community's beggars.

At this point, the stonewalling appears to be an admission of compounding guilt and scorn: someone somewhere simply forgot about an entire constituency, no one caught it, and now it seems you (plural) don't want to say anything more because you simply don't want to hear the entirely justified fulminations you know would be forthcoming. Understandable, perhaps, but also unkind and unfair. As GreenWarlock says, the App Store buyers want a patch, but maybe even more than that, we want to feel that we matter enough to be spoken to honestly and consistently when something goes wrong. You're busy; we respect that. But no one is too busy to write one sentence every couple of weeks. Even if you have nothing to report—which, yes, would hopefully be an embarrassment—we'd still like some reassurance that you respect us, too, and are keeping us in mind.

The love isn't dead, but it is hibernating. It's up to you to revive it. Barring that, it seems the only recourse is to write an App Store review warning others.
    GreenWarlock
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    We haven't forgotten the Mac users, I can promise you that. I know that information has been minimal on this front, and I can't promise that will change any time soon, but know that we are working on things on our end.
    GreenWarlock
    Information has not been minimal, it has been nonexistent. Could we at least have some hint of why we cannot get the current patch, since the next is imminent, and so far only explanation is someone forgot to send it to Apple, and no-one has been bother to since. The first is a forgivable mistake (with the reminders that did not help) but the later really says you do not care, unless there is more to the story (such as Mac App store requirements changing between app release and patch - crazy as it seems, Mavericks was released in that tiny interval!) Just saying we are not forgotten, when all the evidence we have is to the contrary, no longer cuts it. It might if there had been more feedback over the last 5 months of waiting, but not now. Especially when, as far as I can tell, the only visible effect of your promise is that we will not hear from you (BeamDog, not singling out @Dee) again 'any time soon', where 'soon' is an unspecified period that could easily be another 5 months or more. I am sorry to press, as getting even the vacuous statement above was actually the highlight of my day yesterday! But it really does not help to repair a relationship that has already broken down.
    Unferthatakdog
    edited April 2014
    @Dee, I'm going to pile on, here. While the response is certainly appreciated (insofar as it's something rather than nothing), this kind of cagey unspeak recalls the forum's Dark Age of punctilious corporate silence—not a time any of us wants to remember. Is something like that happening again? Can you even say why you can't say? Obviously we'll support you guys if it's something beyond your control; if it's not, I can't imagine why you wouldn't just come out with it. To make a hyperbolic comparison, it's like when your partner hints there's something wrong but, in an effort to spare one or both of you, refuses to say what: the not-knowing is worse than the knowing could ever be. Being shut out that way—this way—not even being given the chance to respond to what's actually happening—is pretty well guaranteed to alienate people, no matter how good the intentions might be. At least if we know what's going on we can respond to facts rather than raging at chimeras. So, please: can you tell us what specifically is happening? And if not, why not?
    GreenWarlock
  • uglyducklynnuglyducklynn Member Posts: 61
    Sometimes things aren't always as simple as we'd like them to be, but patience will always win the day. They are providing us a service, and while it is taking longer than we'd like it to, I am confident that once 1.3 comes out everything will be square. Being upset and slightly confrontational or trying to peek into their priorities and their business won't help things get along any faster.

I'm positive Beamdog doesn't just sit around twiddling their thumbs all day long, Really all that can be said is that it will come when it comes. Do I wish that the game versions were all identical? Absolutely, I'd love to be able to play with my family on different platforms. But at the very least I know that one day I will be able to do so, and that I will be patiently waiting and creating many Bhallspawns until it happens.
    Careful, @uglyducklynn‌—you're drifting awfully close to "Ballspawns," which is another forum entirely.

But seriously, no hostility toward the devs intended—just speaking frankly using the venue they've kindly provided. I don't think that's "confrontational," though I do grant that, given the nature of the forum, it can be hard to balance being a community member with being a customer: the two have inflected one another from the start, creating expectations that haven't in every case been fulfilled. (People are still clamoring for cloud saves, for example.) Some of those expectations are reasonable; others plainly are not. In any case, the fact remains that, whatever else we are, we are customers, and we're currently getting a lesser product for reasons we couldn't have anticipated or prevented, with no end in sight. Yes, the team is doing what some call "polishing" and others call "finishing the job"; either way, from where I stand, once the patch has been released to anyone, it's no longer a "service"—not a favor—but a feature that all customers can reasonably assume was included in the purchase price and can reasonably expect to be delivered in a timely way. A patch—especially a bug fix—isn't entirely unlike a product recall; let's not let our affection for the devs obscure the situation: if some company denied us a replacement part for five months—a part they'd already distributed to most of their other customers—and then refused to give us any information about when we'd be getting it, simply because we bought the product at Junk Mart instead of Plastic World—I think most of us would be howling, not feeling as though our perpetual eligibility to receive the part is some sort of benefaction. I'd wager a fair number would lumber off and write nasty reviews.

Yes, absolutely, the devs have been very generous to involve themselves with us so freely. But that also works to their advantage: if it were a faceless bureaucracy of a company that had faltered in this way, I'd have nabbed a refund and bolted long ago. Thanks to the forums, that hasn't been necessary; the reason it hasn't been necessary is precisely that the devs have opened themselves to just the kinds of posts you see above. They've allowed—indeed, invited—us to "peek into their priorities and their business," first by offering a product for sale, and then by participating in these forums. And yes, that seems to me altogether the better way.

I wish I were as certain as you are that all will be well, but faith is a tool, not a virtue. If I get a cheeseburger with no cheese, I don't sit around having faith that it'll show up eventually. What's the harm in seeking greater certainty? Godly people still wear their seat belts. We just want to know—not to think, not to hope, but to know—that we're not being taken for a ride.

GreenWarlockallahwhoakbars
    Three months since I last posted here. Really? Three months? And they couldn't like do "Hey, Beamdog Volunteer Intern Girl, can you please upload that latest Mac OSX version 1.2.2030 that we have lying around on our database, and then submit it Apple's Mac App Store? Please do it so the foaming in the mouth Mac customers stop whining in our forums. Here we bought you your morning Starbucks coffee today to get you started, and we promise to buy you a Subway sandwich for your lunch break. Now please get to work on that, OK? It is super-important that you get this task done today."
    atakdog