Skip to content

Custom Kit Cross-Class Restriction Questions

ForliezenForliezen Member Posts: 18
I've been researching how to add custom kits into the game for a few days now and wanted to get more specific answers to questions I have about the reading. Essentially, I want to make sure my basic understanding is correct before I travel deeper into the waters of kit modding and screw things up horrendously.

Let's pretend that I want to make something that hybridizes a druid and a monk, for example's sake. If I created it as a Druid kit, I wouldn't be able to give it the Monk's unarmed fighting progression, but could give it the personal lay on hands skill, correct? On the same token, if I created it as a Monk kit, I wouldn't be able to give it divine spell casting progression, but I could give it the animal shapeshift forms if I so desired, right?

Am I understanding this so far, or am I still way off?

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Forliezen said:

I've been researching how to add custom kits into the game for a few days now and wanted to get more specific answers to questions I have about the reading. Essentially, I want to make sure my basic understanding is correct before I travel deeper into the waters of kit modding and screw things up horrendously.

Let's pretend that I want to make something that hybridizes a druid and a monk, for example's sake. If I created it as a Druid kit, I wouldn't be able to give it the Monk's unarmed fighting progression, but could give it the personal lay on hands skill, correct? On the same token, if I created it as a Monk kit, I wouldn't be able to give it divine spell casting progression, but I could give it the animal shapeshift forms if I so desired, right?

Am I understanding this so far, or am I still way off?

Either is fine. All you need to do for each is add the special ability in the clab at the level you want.
    If you are adding abilities from other classes, then this page will be your friend:

http://iesdp.gibberlings3.net/appendices/bg2kitabilities.htm

Notice the "GA_" and the "AP_" prefixes? You use "GA_" if it's an activated ability--e.g. "GA_spcl321" for the barbarian's Enrage--and "AP_" if it's a persistent ability--e.g. AP_spcl131 the the wizard slayer's +1% Magic Resistance.
  • ForliezenForliezen Member Posts: 18
    Either is fine. All you need to do for each is add the special ability in the clab at the level you want.
    If you are adding abilities from other classes, then this page will be your friend:

Notice the "GA_" and the "AP_" prefixes? You use "GA_" if it's an activated ability--e.g. "GA_spcl321" for the barbarian's Enrage--and "AP_" if it's a persistent ability--e.g. AP_spcl131 the the wizard slayer's +1% Magic Resistance.
    Thanks for the quick response! So it wouldn't be a problem to change activated and passive abilities. However, in following with my example, it isn't possible to make a monk (or any other non-spell caster class) kit that gives it any kind of divine spell casting progression short of making each and every spell into an activated special ability, is it?
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Forliezen said:

Thanks for the quick response! So it wouldn't be a problem to change activated and passive abilities. However, in following with my example, it isn't possible to make a monk (or any other non-spell caster class) kit that gives it any kind of divine spell casting progression short of making each and every spell into an activated special ability, is it?

unfortunately, no. there may be a workaround, but I wouldn't dont know how to do it.

if you wanted, say, a druid/monk type with spell casting and unarmed fighting, I think your best bet would be to make it a druid kit. I think it would be possible to give it some sort of unarmed fighting ability. Probably wouldn't be perfect, but I think it would be doable.
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    edited March 2014
    Making a kit with a druid baseclass that has the monk's fist progression would actually be relatively easy. All you need to do is make a spell that makes use of Opcode 143 (Create Item in Slot) with the slot set to "Fist" (10) and the item you are placing there be the fist (i.e. MFIST.ITM) you want the druid to have. I actually have an unreleased kit (designed with Faldorn in mind) that does something very similar to this.
  • ForliezenForliezen Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2014
    That's a pretty neat idea, actually. Being honest, I was just using these 2 classes as an example because they're my favorite classes, but the idea of actually making a kit that hybridizes the 2 would be pretty amazing. Something like a druid that tries to achieve the pinnacle of natural strength by eschewing weapons and armor would make for a pretty awesome, if difficult to explain story-wise as a PC, character. I think I'll look into this idea more. If you don't mind me asking, for inspiration's sake, what was your custom Faldorn kit like?

Edit: I also read somewhere that only the Monk paper doll/avatar could support the Monk attack animations. If I added MFIST.ITM, would it cause glitching with the Druid paper doll/avatar?
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    I'm travelling right now so my internet is slow and I have the exact kit stored in a cloud.

Here is what I remember of this kit: 1 star in any "druid weapon", no armor or shields, unarmored AC bonus (slower than monks'), fast movement as a monk, slower fist progression, slightly limited spellcasting ability (only a handful of spheres available), a Wolverine (the superhero) rage-like ability that involved unarmed attacks causing piercing damage (thematically: Faldorn grows claws), some minor immunities (i.e. Entangle). I'm sure there were other features but those were the main ones.

Unarmed attacks with a monk avatar will produce the special animations. All other characters have unarmed attack animations (i.e. just the thrust/smash/slash animations without weapons). No glitching would be caused. (Actually for my unreleased NPC kit mod I switched Faldorn to the female monk avatar... I quite liked it but it was not essential.)