Skip to content

The Journeys of Theodoric: Hero of the Sword Coast (Solo Cavalier Playthrough BG1Complete. On Break)

ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
Yes, I am starting another solo playthrough alongside my solo archer. However, this won't be the same as my other playthrough, since I'll be giving a very basic "This is what happened" sort of recap. I won't be doing a role-play story based playthrough with Theodoric (The cavalier) like I did with Roisin, my archer.

The idea behind this character is that he is a traditional heroic knight, who will always strive to do the right thing, and be the hero. He won't journey with anyone because he doesn't wish them to come to any harm while traveling with him. There will be one minor exception to this rule, but it is minor. I will, however, accept people's aid to begin with, and then leave them behind, just so they stay in the game. Occasionally I may use them for their services, e.g. Garrick being used to identify things ect. ect. In BG2 I may take people and complete their questline, but I won't be using them after that. Also, a fun fact about the character's name? It's an altered form of my own. My name is Theodore, and I simply changed the name to sound more medieval and knightly. I certainly don't think I'm a paladin, but I wanted a knightly sounding name, so I just went with that. The name (Theodoric, not Theodore) means "ruler of the people", and while it doesn't exactly mean anything terribly knightly, it sounds good.

I've already played a bit with the character, and he's level 4 now. I'll post another picture later showing his progress, but for now you can just see the basic lvl 1 image from Candlekeep.

If you wish to provide tips or ideas for how to deal with a certain challenging fight or what gear I should use, you can go to this thread, http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/31066/tips-for-a-solo-cavalier/p1 , which I made a few days ago. I doubt anyone who sees this won't have seen that one, but on the off chance you missed it, there it is. This thread is (ideally) reserved for conversations about the journey itself, and (obviously) the recap. I'll go ahead and do a recap of his journeys so far. (Spoilered for size convenience) If I leave something out, it's because I played last night, so I'm writing this from memory\the journal's completed quest log.

Chapter 1: The Adventure Begins
Theodoric did all the quests in Candlekeep, but did not fight Shank or Carbos, since he had no reason to enter those buildings. He purchased splint mail and a greatsword, and also had the enchanted dagger from Fuller. He set out from Candlekeep and you all know the next bit. In the morning Imoen joined him and he decided to take her to Beregost so she'd be safe. He traveled east from the starting area and picked up a ring of protection, which he promptly equipped. He then traveled south to Beregost, and dropped Imoen off near the middle of town. He then went into Feldpost's inn and peacefully solved the dispute between a local and himself, earning 900 xp. He then traveled around town a little, finding most of the important places before giving a book to Firebead and getting the scroll case along with some experience. He then dealt with a dwarf mercenary sent to kill him in one of the inns. He then traveled south, killed two ogrillons, gaining the scroll for Mirianne. Traveling further south he found three flaming fist mercenaries who he failed to convince of his lawfulness. He would not let them arrest him, however, since he had done nothing wrong, so they fell to his blade. He looted a nice new helmet, and some shiny plate armor, along with the rest of their gear which he took back to Beregost to sell. He gave Mirianne the letter, gaining another ring of protection which he would sell, and then sold his gear to the smithy. He then traveled north to the Friendly Arm Inn, found the ring of Evermemory, killed Tranzig, spoke with Dorn briefly, then went upstairs and talked to Landrin about her house and the spiders. Landrin also gave him six antidotes, which he would sell when he got the chance. Theodoric then spoke with Joia, and went to get her ring, which he quickly returned. He then went south, past the South Beregost Road and found a necklace on some dead bodies, which he would soon return. He traveled east, found and slew some half-ogres, gained an enchanted greatsword, and also searched a nearby cave, killing an ettercap and gaining some mild valuables. He then went back to Beregost, gave the necklace to the father of the dead child he had found the necklace on, and then dealt with Garrick and Silke, leaving Garrick next to the Red Sheaf for when he needed an identifier. He also dealt with Neera, saving her, and then proceeding to take her gem bag and ditch her. (Look it was payment, ok? He’s still a nice guy) He then killed the spiders at Landrin’s and brought the things she had asked for back to to her. On the way to the FAI, he killed the belt ogre and got both belts, though he's going to sell the cursed one. He's now at the Jovial Juggler and is level 4.
Post edited by Elrandir on

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    That's a knightly stat roll you accomplished there my man! Blessings and best of luck for Theodoric!
    (I'm also thinking about a next playthrough, since I love BG1. Am one of very few who like it better than BG2. In that case I'd also keep a more concise log.)
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Thank you! I think we'll have a nice journey together, he and I.

Yes, even though it's too soon to judge, (having never really done much with BG2) I think I prefer BG1 as well.

A nice concise log is rather nice. It's certainly easier to make than the expansive story I do for Roisin. The work involved in this is really only as long as I choose to play, whereas with Roisin it's generally 2 hours an installment, at the very least. And only a third of that is generally play time.
    Exactly, today I spent a looong time on my latest installment (not in the least because I wanted to include some philosophizing by charname, to give him more depth). And then there's my "homework": the ranking of priest spells... All work and no play makes Blackraben a dull boy lol.
    I totally understand. It doesn't help that I'm a grammar nazi, so I ALWAYS do about two full read-throughs of what I wrote, to make sure it sounds good and is grammatically sound. I think my longest time spent on an installment was 3 and a half hours, since I think I missed a day and was therefore doing an extra long one.
    edited April 2014
    More adventure! Just so you all know, I'm not going to be doing every single side quest with this guy. I'm going to blast my way through the first game, ideally. I'm just getting 20 rep and a high level before tackling the story. I've played BG1 enough, and I want this guy to actually make it through to BG2.

Chapter 2: Building a Reputation
    Theodoric traveled to High Hedge and traded with Thalantyr. He purchased a potion case. On his way south he grabbed a skull from a skeleton. He then traveled south to find Melicamp. He found Melicamp and brought him to Thalantyr, who saved Melicamp. He then returned to the south and killed Bassilus, as well as a group of hobgoblins. He traveled to the temple and received the reward for Bassilus, before returning to Beregost and selling his loot. He then traveled south to Nashkel. He found the Ankheg armor, and then went into the inn. He dealt with Neira, and then went to the shop, identified his gear, and equipped the eyes of truth. Next he went and spoke with Oublek, and told him he was not Greywolf. He had leveled after killing Neira, so he’s now level 5. He then traveled to the Dryad Falls and helped the dryad and Drienne. He also got into a duel with a gnoll, but he swung to hard and cleaved the beast in two, so he didn’t get the xp reward for winning the duel… Theodoric then traveled westward, to the Gnoll Stronghold, dealt with Gnarl and Hairtooth, and then went and got the tome of charisma. He then returned to Nashkel, sold his loot, identified and used the tome, and then went to find Brage. He arrived at the area Brage was in without any notable adventures, and then answered Brage’s riddle and took him back to Nashkel. Now with a 20 reputation and a 19 CHA, he traveled to Beregost and purchased himself a suit of full plate mail for only 4500 gp. He also sold Brage’s cursed sword and the ankheg armor, and then went to the inn for a nap. When he awoke the next morning he had gained his first power.

Charname selfie!

edited March 2014
    Elrandir said:

I totally understand. It doesn't help that I'm a grammar nazi, so I ALWAYS do about two full read-throughs of what I wrote, to make sure it sounds good and is grammatically sound. I think my longest time spent on an installment was 3 and a half hours, since I think I missed a day and was therefore doing an extra long one.

I'm also a grammar nazi, even though you wouldn't tell, what with the disappointing number of typos I produce lol. I'm amazed when I reread my posts, they're always full of typos (grammtical errors less so I hope).
    Elrandir said:

More adventure! Just so you all know, I'm not going to be doing every single side quest with this guy. I'm going to blast my way through the first game, ideally. I'm just getting 20 rep and a high level before tackling the story. I've played BG1 enough, and I want this guy to actually make it through to BG2.

Good progress there! One question: why Full Plate rather than Ankheg? Doesn't Ankheg in BG:EE count as non-magical (and thus permit using rings or cloaks of protection)? Or is it a vanity thing? :)
    @Blackraven‌ Because of it's additional effects. Full plate has better modifiers than ankheg, and the weight doesn't matter, since my character can carry 320 lbs. right now, and will eventually be carrying 500 lbs. Full plate is -3 AC against piercing and missile, and -4 AC against slashing, while ankheg only has -1 against piercing and missile and -3 against slashing. For a warrior who doesn't carry a shield, the bonus modifiers are really nice, and (in my opinion) worth the extra weight. Not to mention, I can't stand the green of ankheg on a big bulky fighter. On Roisin it looks good, due to the female model and her class, but it looks silly on a pally.
    Good, I wasn't aware of the modifiers. And I agree with aesthetics argument.
    Yup! Full plate is certainly heavier, but ignoring weight, it's undoubtedly the best armor in BG1.
    Well very late in the game a suit of Full Plate +1 becomes avaliable if I'm not mistaken, but chivalrous Theodoric is unlikely to acquire it I suppose.
    Your knight has indded no reason not to ignore weight.
    Yes, but full plate +1 isn't as good as full plate with a +2 ring of protection. ;p
    True.
    edited April 2014
    Yet another installment. I'm having a lot of fun with this guy, and there's very little work to be involved in making these, so I'll probably be cracking them out relatively quick.

Chapter 3: Basilisk Slashing
    Theodoric traveled east of the temple and killed basilisks with Korax’s help. He killed Mutamin and the band of mercenaries as well. His most heroic moment was when he trashed a lesser basilisk after Korax had abandoned him. He did it twice, in fact. He also did quite well against the mercenaries. Despite failing a save against rigid thinking, he saved against both holds, and actually fought back well despite the rigid thinking. He barely took any damage in the fight, even with the failed save. He then returned to Beregost, sold his loot, and continued on to the lighthouse area. In the lighthouse area he trashed the sirines with his charm immunity, and went through the flesh golem cave. After looting the golem cave and killing all the golems, he went to Thalantyr’s and traded, identifying the tome of constitution and using it to gain that sweet sweet 19 CON. He kept Relair’s Mistake, just on the off chance he might need it. From there, he traveled north of the FAI to the farm area, and fought off some ankhegs in their nest, gaining the loot in the treasure pile, along with Brun’s son. He then took the corpse to Brun, and gave him 100 gold as well. Returning to the nest, he hunted down all the ankhegs in the nest, then returned to Beregost to rest, after a short trip to Thalantyr to sell his loot. He hit level 7 while killing ankhegs as well. At Beregeost he rested till day, then sold his ankheg shell to the smith. Afterwards, he decided he’d head to Nashkel next.

Charpage and inventory pics.
    Lvl 7! And a sexy 19 CON

Pretty empty inventory, so far.
    Impressive progress, did you take on that lesser basilisk without Protection from Petrifcation? That would be pretty suicidal normally, even for a knight of Theodoric's calibre.
    @Blackraven‌ I took on them all without it. I used Korax to hold them, then let Theodoric move in to kill them. As for the two I dealt with without Korax's assistance, I will admit they both managed to kill me a couple times. I think I died three times to the first one, and twice to the second. Both times I killed them I did it in two blows. One crit and one normal blow.
    Ok, interesting strategy. DId you use throwing axes before Korax held them, or in the locations where two or three of them were standing together? I wonder if it's possible to clear the entire area with Korax before he buggers off.
    I actually haven't used any throwing axes so far. =p And as long as Korax is the farthest ahead, he'll target all the petrification attacks. I killed all ten of them with his help while playing Roisin, though she was more easily able to stay away and shoot them all down. I wasted time with Theodoric since I forgot where they all were. I remembered where eight of them were, but the last two eluded me. At least till after I was running solo again.
    edited April 2014
    I get a little longwinded on this one, but it's still fairly simple. We deal with a few more pre-mines duties, and then head to the mines. No pictures this time, since very little has changed in the way of character appearance. The next installment should come in about 30 minutes to an hour.

Chapter 4: Pre-Mining Operations
    Deciding he might need some extra tools, Theodoric decided to instead collect a couple items before tackling Nashkel. He first traveled to an area he had merely passed through earlier on his journeys, simply to find an enchanted flail. The xvarts he had to go through were not overly fond of this, but once he showed them how pointy his sword was, they let him pass. Over their corpses, that is. After dealing with a bear and finding the enchanted flail and a pair of useless magical bracers, he then traveled far to the east, to the Firewine Bridge. On the way, he stopped by Durlag’s Tower, killed two battle horrors, and found a tome of wisdom, before leaving. The tome was guarded by a charm trap, which would likely have ended some explorer’s journeys, but Theodoric shrugged it off. Once at the Firewine Bridge, he searched out a swordsman named Meilum and dueled him. Poor Meilum wasn’t skilled enough to block one of Theodoric’s mighty blows, and fell to his blade. On his corpse Theodoric found a pair of very nice magical gauntlets, as well as an enchanted longsword he could sell. After having his things identified at the Nashkel chapel, he then sold what he didn’t need and proceeded south to the mines. The gauntlets turned out to not only enhance his accuracy, but also his damage, increasing his damage with his greatsword to a whopping 12-21. The flail was just a mildly enchanted flail, which Theodoric kept for use against creatures that were resistant to non-crushing blows. (Though greatswords should be crushing or slashing, IMO, just like halberds are slashing or piercing.) On his way to the mines, he was forced to be a part of some half-orc’s revenge against some bandits he used to run with. Wishing no part in this, he simply let them duke it out, only killing a couple archers who seemed to be more concerned with Theodoric. The half-orc was brutally strong, but he was inaccurate, and though it seemed he would be the victor, it was only because each of his blows was twice the strength of the bandit’s. That said, they were far more accurate, and it was two against one. Finally, however, the half-orc killed one of them, and a strange and evil power seemed to well up in him, for suddenly he became more accurate, cleaving the second bandit in two. He then approached Theodoric, who he seemed to recognize. He asked his assistance with his revenge, as apparently the two bandit leaders were merely one part of the group the half-orc was betrayed by. While betrayal was something Theodoric could not abide, he had no interest in assisting this dark warrior. He parted from him, wondering if he should have tried to cut him down. He finished traveling to the mines and after getting permission to enter from the foreman, he traveled within.
    edited April 2014
    We finish the mines, travel back to Nashkel, and do some business there.

Chapter 5: Why's It Always Gotta Be Mines?
    Once in the mines, Theodoric began looking around. He talked to a few of the miners, and heard some silly tales of what the problem was. Deciding he’d get nothing from them, he traveled further in. He accepted a miner’s request to return a dagger to one of the other miners on a lower level, and then proceeded down to it. Once there, he saved a miner from kobolds and returned the dagger to another one. He then continued down to the next level. After arriving at the next floor, he charged ahead, wishing to get to the bottom of this situation. He found a dead man, however, along with a ring. He took the ring, thinking the miner might have a family who would want the ring returned. He found some spiders in this level of the mines, but assumed they were natural denizens. Continuing to the next floor, he slaughtered everything in the room and then proceeded to take a nap, before heading into the next room. In this room he fought his first “boss”, a half-orc priest named Mulahey. Mulahey tried to cast magic on him, but Theodoric simply cut him to pieces with two blows. He then, with flail and sword, dealt with the kobolds and skeletons Mulahey had summoned.

After reading some letters Mulahey had, Theodoric learned that apparently Mulahey was not behind the iron crisis, but was merely in charge of the operations here. There was someone above him who had planned it. Apparently a messenger named Tranzig was in Beregost, and was the go-between for Mulahey and his employer, who was named Tazok. Theodoric decided to find this Tranzig and get what information out of him that he could. Before leaving he rescued an elf enchanter named Xan, who was the owner of a moonblade that Theodoric found in Mulahey’s chest. Together they traveled from Mulahey’s lair, and left the mines by a hidden passage that Theodoric had noticed while looking around. Once they left the mines, they traveled back to Nashkel, with little trouble. Once there, they met and dealt with another assassin. On his corpse Theodoric found some valuable tools, including several throwing axes. Afterwards, Theodoric bid Xan farewell, and went to speak with Berrun Ghastkill. The mayor was greatly appreciative, and payed Theodoric for his services. Theodoric then asked around town to find the dead miner’s family. He found his wife, who was struck with grief when she heard the news, though she was appreciative that he had brought the ring to her. After this, he traveled to the store and sold his loot. While there were several valuable tools among the gear he had taken from Mulahey and the assassin, he only kept Mulahey’s boots of electrical resistance, and the assassin’s ring of infravision. His helmet already provided the same effect, but he figured he would likely find a different helmet eventually. He also sold half of the throwing axes, as even twenty of them was a hundred pounds, and he thought this was too much. With this, he traveled to the inn, rested for more than a day, and then prepared to go to Beregost. He also gained another healing ability in the night, but assumed that it was simply a blessing from the gods for his good service to the land.

Charname selfie and inventory.

Elrandir said:

... he stopped by Durlag’s Tower, killed two battle horrors, ...

Wow, Theodoric is a beast!

@Blackraven‌ Hahaha Nah, he's not too impressive. I mean, he is practically fully kitted out, so it's not too surprising. Though I'm sure if you told him that then he'd be quite pleased. ;p
    I liked the casual way you mentioned it, as if it were two kobolds ;)
    Hardly! If it were two kobolds it wouldn't have even made it in his journal. ;) He's just a man of few words.

In case you didn't know, I'm merely the editor of his travel journals. He's a retired adventurer now, and he handed his journal over for publication. I simply make it a little more grammatically correct and add in a few personal comments, all while retaining his style of writing. =p
    A long installment today! I forgot to take as many pictures as I might've, but there are a few.

Chapter 6: Bandit Blastin'
    Before traveling to Beregost, Theodoric stopped by the Nashkel Carnival and purchased The One Gift Lost, seeing how it’s mighty blasts would likely aid him in large battles. Afterwards he traveled to Beregost, found and slew Tranzig, and met a little girl who then told him to meet with officer Vai, who he met with, and then sold his current bandit scalps. He also met Elminster, who complimented his deeds. He next traveled to High Hedge and identified and sold the loot Tranzig had that he did not need. From there he traveled far to the north, to Brun’s farm. He traveled west of there, finding the bandit camp and sneaking up to it. A human and two hobgoblins noticed him, but he quickly dealt with them. He then wrapped the One Gift Lost up in his hands and launched a bolt into the middle of a large group of the bandits. Not being used to it, he wounded himself slightly, but it was not serious. The hobgoblins surrounded him and he gripped his blade, cutting them down, one by one. One of them appeared to be the leader, as when he died the hobgoblins cried out angrily and became more aggressive. They failed to stop him, however, and he slew them all.

He continued his way through the camp, cutting down human bandits as they showed themselves. He found a group of them near a well armored and cruel looking man that Theodoric assumed was the leader of the human bandits. He launched two fireballs into their midst, killing the majority of the bandits, but the leader was more skilled, dodging the fireballs (I totally did NOT just miss him…) and charging Theodoric. Theodoric was greatly pleased to find such a skilled warrior among his foes, but even this man was unable to stand against Theodoric. After dealing with him and all the other bandits, he searched them for scalps and loot. The warrior was wearing a fine suit of full plate mail and an enchanted shield and warhammer. Continuing to the largest tent, just behind the warrior, Theodoric slew five more bandits, before healing himself and entering. Inside he was accosted by a bandit, to which he replied aggressively. A group of four skilled combatants began attacking him, two using blades, another using a bow, while the last of them began casting magic. Despite injuring himself by doing so, Theodoric decided to begin using the amulet over and over, trying to burn them all down, believing his endurance to be far higher than their's. It was an incredibly effective way to deal with the enemies, as all but the mage fell with three uses. On his own, the mage was doomed, and Theodoric charged him, blade held high. He managed to hit Theodoric with two acid arrows before succumbing, but Theodoric resisted the damage and cleaved the mage in two. He noticed a man near the back of the tent, but saw that he was in chains, and so sheathed his blade. He asked the man who he was and learned that the man was named Ender Sai. He told Theodoric about the true foe, the Iron Throne, and then left.

After looting the place and resisting a lightning trap, he left and began cleaning up the remaining bandits around the camp. He also wrenched open as many chests as he could and looted their contents. After killing and looting all the bandits and tents, he left and returned to Beregost. Once there, he spoke with Vai, and told her about the camp. Afterwards he went to Thalantyr’s, sold his loot, and recharged his amulet, having it made even stronger than it was when he first purchased it. From there, he traveled to the FAI and rested, before heading into the cloakwood. At the FAI he met with Elminster again, and they spoke briefly about the presence of this “Iron Throne” in Cloakwood Forest. While resting, Theodoric gained yet another magical ability. This time it was to slow poison, which would be most useful in the area he would next head... If, of course, he wasn't already immune to it...
    What a bad *ss Theodoric is...
    (Am glad you didn't hurt Ender Sai btw with your blasts)
    I basically sat there RIGHT at the entrance and shot relatively near to me. Halfway through the fight that thought did occur to me, however, but I realized I hadn't seen his name in the battle log, so I figured he was safe. And yeah, he is a true tanky beast. =p
    edited March 2014
    Here's another one!

Chapter 7: Spider's Bane (And we're not talking about a sword)
    Before going to the Cloakwood Forest, Theodoric traveled far north of the FAI and went to Ulgoth's Beard to purchase some goods. He purchased the greenstone amulet and traded Relair’s mistake for the cloak of displacement. Afterwards he traveled to Cloakwood. He had no travels of note in the first area. In the next area he spoke to Tiber, found Rashad’s Talon, and tackled the spider nest, making a bum rush to the hoard to get the superior sword to make the big fight easier. He had to kill most of the normal spiders before he could grab Spider’s Bane, but it made the sword spiders much easier to kill.

Once he had dealt with them all, he hoisted Chelak’s body onto his shoulders but collapsed to one knee, underestimating the weight. Realizing he had few options, he tossed his throwing axes on the ground and abandoned them. It didn’t make him light enough to move quickly, but he could at least walk slowly back to Tiber. Afterwards he traveled north to unlock the next area, and then returned to Thalantyr for a quick selling spree. He also gave the greenstone amulet to Thalantyr and had him supercharge it, giving it five times the number of uses it had before. He then returned to Cloakwood, coming to the new area. In this next area he dealt with a wyvern tamer and spoke with several shadow druids, none of whom he fought with, since they wished their forest cleared of the Iron Throne. He did not accept Faldorn’s help, however, as he believed ‘would be best for him to go alone. He traveled east from there. In the next area he killed a hamadryad who’s magic was useless against a cavalier wielding Spider’s Bane. He traveled northeast from the hamadryad and found a wyvern cave. He had already killed four wyverns while traveling in the forest, but he decided to kill these as well. He used the One Gift Lost to blast the wyverns, killing the babies with two blasts and wounding the adults. He then drew his blade and slew them. He looted a corpse in there, and then left, heading further east, to the mines themselves. Finally he arrived at the mine. He killed the two guards at the bridge and then, sensing danger, took out the greenstone amulet. His intuition was proven right, as just a short ways ahead of him stood two well armored men and two impressive looking mages. They were more assassins, though they had been left at the mine, as Theodoric was expected.

Rather than try to fight them one at a time, Theodoric instead used his greenstone amulet and then charged forward, sword held high. He charged the mages first, but one used a dimension door, so he targeted the other first. He finally slew the mage, but not before he summoned a xvart and a war dog. Deeming these as minor threats, he turned next to the second mage, cleaving him into pieces with two mighty blows. He turned his attention to the cleric next, trying to bash his way through his armor with sheer brute strength. After a few blows he finally slew the cleric and turned his attention to the warrior. Theodoric saw the two summoned monsters disappear and grinned, swinging his sword one final time, his full force behind the blow. He cleaved his foe into two fully separate halves, and with that he gained his final level. He gained little with his level, but he was certainly somewhat stronger. Wounded as he was, (even if it was only 5 points of damage…) and with so much loot, he returned to Thalantyr. He replaced his enchanted flail with the enchanted morning star, and his boots of electricity resistance with the boots of speed. He then took the wyvern head to the temple, selling it for 2000 gold pieces before returning to the mine to destroy it.
    Whoops! I forgot to do a CHARNAME selfie and inventory shot since we leveled. Here they are.

Max level at last. Look at that crazy HP! And a beautiful 7 THAC0. Not to mention the huge 13-22 dmg.

You may note that we picked up Nester's dagger on the way to Ulcaster
    "No need for bloodshed." Very nice, ever the gentleman no?
    He tries. =p