Skip to content

The Heavenly Arrow's Flight:Roisin's Journey (Solo Archer Playthrough w/RolePlay Style Storytelling)

124»

Comments

• ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    This is honestly my favorite installment so far, I think because I went more in depth in the writing of the combat, and because I got to write some banter and conversations between NPC's, as opposed to just Roisin like usual. So this installment is slightly different than usual, but I hope you like it!

In the middle of nowhere, unsure of where they were, Roisin and Xan had to get back to civilization. Xan was mildly injured, and as much as Roisin wished to explore, she couldn’t let this man die because of her. Traveling north from the mine exit, however, it was revealed that this would not be as simple as Roisin had expected. Standing before them was a group of four warrior women, all of whom were obviously unfriendly. One of them called out to Roisin in a surprisingly gravelly voice, inquiring if Roisin were, in fact, Roisin. Thinking of the wounded Xan, Roisin replied that the woman had the wrong person. Unfortunately, this woman saw through the lie, and revealed herself to be yet another priest of Cyric. As if Mulahey wasn’t bad enough! The woman also mentioned something about an “Iron Throne”, though Roisin had no idea what she meant. She thought back to the throne Mulahey had, but she doubted that was what the woman was referring to. She had no time to ponder the woman’s words, however, as the four women attacked.

This is the first attempt at the battle. It was a failure, but I thought Xan proved himself surprisingly well, especially at the end, so that’s why I’ve kept this in here. Skip to the next paragraph if you don’t want to see failure. =p

The priestess of Cyric began casting a spell, as Xan protected himself with a mirror image. The other three mercenary women began preparing to attack. Two of them were armed with bows, and the third with a flail. Roisin fired at the priestess, hoping to disrupt her spell. Between firing her arrows, she cried out to Xan, telling him to charm the others. She had talked with Xan about his abilities earlier, and he said he had little in the way of damaging spells, but he was skilled with charms. Roisin managed to hit the priestess and disrupt her spell, only to see the flail wielder casting a spell herself. Roisin quickly switched targets and fired at that woman, hoping to stop her. Out of the corner of her eye, Roisin saw one of the archers switch over to darts, just as she felt the sting of an arrow pierce her side. Roisin knew it would have been a serious wound, were it not for her (helmet) armor. (It would’ve been a crit.) Unfortunately, Roisin could not stop the priestess from finishing her spell, and she was soon overcome by a rigid thinking spell. Roisin fortunately continued to attack the second priestess, despite her stupor, and even with her mind not her own, her bow skills were still strong. The priestess fell with a cry. Unfortunately, Xan’s spell had done nothing, so he began casting again. This time he targeted the archer, and the spell worked! Xan directed the woman to attack the priestess, hoping to stop her from casting any further. Meanwhile Roisin was standing there, still as a rock. The priestess cast a hold spell and Roisin was struck still. Fortunately nothing dangerous was coming her way, as the priest was merely casting, and the other two were fighting amongst themselves. Xan again tried to charm the dart thrower, and again failed. Meanwhile, the dart thrower had freed the archer from the charm, and Xan realized he needed to try and do some damage. He cast an acid arrow at the priest, and successfully hit her, but he had no other damaging spells. He tried a color spray on the archers, but failed the first time. Meanwhile, Roisin was being beaten to a pulp, and was even poisoned! Xan managed to render the dart thrower unconscious with a second color spray, but he knew he needed to do more. He cast a protection from evil spell upon himself, and then charged in, hoping to at least distract the archer. He managed to kill her, surprisingly, but Roisin then fell by the priestess’ mace before he could stop her.

The priestess of Cyric began casting a spell, as Xan launched a dire charm at the second priestess. The spell took, and Xan directed her to use a hold spell on the first priestess. The priestess fell by Roisin’s arrows before the second one could cast, however, so Xan directed her to cast it upon the dart thrower, as he himself cast an acid arrow on the archer. It failed, however, because the priestess was struck by her fellow mercenary, which snapped her back to reality. Xan began casting the dire charm a second time, however, hoping to re-ensnare the woman, as Roisin began peppering the priestess with arrows. Surprisingly, Xan’s spell worked again, and he directed the woman to command the dart thrower to sleep. Roisin, realizing the spell had worked, began targeting the archer with her arrows. Unfortunately, Roisin’s last arrow was in flight as the charm took hold, and the priestess died with a whimper. Xan began casting yet another dire charm, this time targeting the dart thrower. The archer in the back fell over with a shriek as Roisin’s arrow pierced her, and Roisin decided she might as well kill the dart thrower, regardless of Xan’s charm. It didn’t matter regardless, as the spell failed. The arrow that followed it, however, did not. Roisin quickly healed herself using the strange magic she had gained. She was poisoned, but did not wish to waste an antidote on a weak poison. The poison faded quickly, and though her healing magic might have been better used on herself, she healed Xan, as she commented that he had done quite well. The elf almost seemed happy for a moment, before replying “’Twas but a momentary success.” Roisin rolled her eyes at him and began looting the corpses.

Xan then inquired why those women were after Roisin’s life. Roisin replied she wasn’t honestly sure. She told him a bit about herself as she undid the armor the assassins wore. She explained her life up until recently, her foster father’s desire to leave Candlekeep suddenly, and how they were ambushed, and Gorion killed. She paused at that bit, and bit her lip, a tear coming to her eye. She wiped it away, however, and continued to loot the corpses. She felt Xan’s hand on her shoulder, and she looked up at him. She saw him, for the first time since she had met him, actually smiling. He said nothing, but gave her shoulder a soft squeeze and then leaned down to assist her with the looting. Roisin smiled, greatly appreciative of the sensitivity he showed, despite his usual manner. Roisin was unable to carry everything herself, so Xan took some of it into his pack. This group of assassins were well equipped, as all of them had magical weapons of some sort, and the dart wielder and archer both had magical leather armor, one suit of which was studded.

They went north from there, and Roisin recognized the surrounding are to be south of Durlag’s Tower. Realizing where they were, they traveled westward, to Nashkel. They arrived late at night, and Roisin decided it would be best if they simply went to the inn for the night. They were both tired, and the mayor would be there in the morning for Roisin to give the evidence to. Unfortunately, their rest was not to be, as in front of the inn stood a man dressed in black, a blade drawn. Roisin groaned, and Xan drew his blade, which burned bright in the darkness. The man said that he was death come for her. He then said if she surrendered, her passage would be made quicker. Roisin understandably cried out that she would surrender to nothing. Xan, mostly out of spells, decided to cast a mirror image, before charging in, moonblade at the ready. He never reached the assassin, however, as Roisin dropped him with a mere two arrows. On the man’s corpse were a few magical trinkets, including a pair of boots. Tired and ready for sleep, Roisin and Xan decided to go have the items identified in the morning. As they entered the inn, Branwen came up to them, asking how Roisin was. Roisin turned to look at her, grunted, and walked on by. Xan shrugged at Branwen and followed Roisin. Roisin purchased a room for herself, and a room for Xan. The innkeeper said something about how his inn was more full than usual, and he was pleased about it. Xan assumed this meant that between Roisin, Xan, and, he assumed, Branwen, there were more travelers here at once than was normal.

Early in the evening of the next day, Roisin stumbled out of her room, yawning sleepily and adjusting her not quite correctly put on armor. She was surprised to see Xan and Branwen, at one of the tables, talking together. Roisin came up to them and they made a seat for her. The three of them began talking about the mines, Roisin’s adventures, what Xan and Branwen had been talking about, and what their plans were. Roisin mentioned to Branwen that she had something to tell her after she had taken care of business around town. Roisin asked Xan to accompany her to the store, since she could not carry all the loot on her own, and he nodded. As Roisin stood up to go get her pack from her room, Branwen walked over to Roisin and whispered to her, asking “Why did you bring this guy?”, referring to Xan, of course. She said he was a quite depressing and not much of a man, either. Roisin smirked and said that Xan was unique, but he had proven himself capable. Branwen asked if Roisin was interested in him, to which Roisin shot her a death glare. Branwen shrugged and said she’d see Roisin around town. Roisin again told her to meet her at the inn tonight, as there was something Roisin needed to tell her.

Roisin and Xan went down to the store next to the inn, and had their things identified. Most of it was useless to Roisin, but she did like the two pairs of boots she had obtained, one being from Mulahey, the other from the assassin Nimbul, who had attacked them in front of the inn. Roisin smirked at Nimbul’s boots, seeing that they were made to protect the wearer from missiles. Roisin thought to herself that it certainly didn’t save him from her. Mulahey’s boots were made to protect the wearer from lightning, and Roisin decided to keep them, not knowing when such an item might come in handy. She gifted Nimbul’s boots to Xan, as a reward for his services on their way back to town. He replied that he had done little, but she insisted. She was certain she could rely on her belts to protect her. What she could not use, she sold, and so their inventory was cleared. Once they were done shopping, Roisin told Xan he could return to the inn if he wished. In fact, he could do whatever he wished, as their journey together was over, as far as she was concerned. She thanked him again though, for his assistance, and he said that, though their journeys together were admittedly fruitless, they had, at least, been fun. He said he might even enjoy sharing another ill-fated adventure with her, should she ever require his talents. Roisin said that she doubted she would, but she would call upon him, should she ever see the need.

She then went to speak with Berrun Ghastkill, to inform him of the situation in the mines, and show him the evidence of Mulahey’s involvement. He thanked her heartily, and rewarded her with 900 gold. She then returned to the inn, and as it was getting later, ordered herself some dinner. While she was dining, Branwen came in, likely from praying, Roisin assumed. She motioned her over, and Branwen sat down across from her. She told Branwen of Tranzig, and how she was going after him soon. She asked if Branwen wished to join her. There was a surprising uncertainty in Branwen’s eyes, but it disappeared quickly, and she said she would gladly join Roisin. Roisin handed her a suit of platemail she had taken from one of the female assassins, and told her they would purchase her a weapon in the morning, before setting out for Beregost. Branwen concurred heartily, and that night Roisin, Branwen, and Xan stayed up late, talking and drinking, as after this evening, Xan would be leaving town to return to Evereska, unless something should come up to keep him there. In the morning, Roisin and Branwen ate a simple breakfast and prepared to leave town after bidding farewell to Xan, who wished them a safe, if fruitless journey.

Blooper shot!
    This was the first attempt at Nimbul, but I'm afraid the color spray caused Rasaad to aggro. >.< image
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Wow great storytelling :) And Roisin is very disciplined in doing things by herself. My charnames tend to attach to party members...
    Downing Nimbul in two shots is impressive (be it in vanilla or SCS). Ah, and gotta love that Colour Spray :D
    Thanks! And yup. Color spray fails are sooooo great. =p
    I think tonight I will be letting Roisin alone, since I started on Theodoric's journey today. He requires less than work than Roisin, so his tale will progress more quickly, but I won't forget Roisin! Ideally I'll still be posting an installment every day. Just not tonight. Also, on the REALLY off chance you don't know who Theodoric is, he's my solo cavalier. I'm not going to link to the thread, but it's not hard to find.
    It just occurred to me, Roisin's death at the hands of those mercenaries was her first death of the game! I was kind of hoping she'd avoid any deaths in BG1, but that was not what the fates had in store for her.
    Still not bad, only one.
    Soon you'll be playing no-reload without even being aware of it ;) even though Theodoric has already surpassed Roisin...
    Maybe no death, but I still reload all the time. Especially when it comes to dealing with ambushes in the night. =p I just want to sleep in peace, gosh dangit!
    After a (partly unintentional) four day weekend, Roisin is back and ready to kick some tail! Not many pictures this time around, though there weren't really many places where I could see a point to it. Besides those I did take, that is. I wish I'd taken one of a conversation with the child in Beregost, but c'est la vie. Enjoy!

After bidding Xan farewell and leaving the inn, Roisin and Branwen went to the store next door and purchased Branwen a morning star, helmet, and medium shield. Branwen offered to pay, but Roisin shrugged her off, saying that it was a gift. From there, the two of them traveled north to Beregost. Roisin had not been to Beregost in some time, and she was somewhat pleased to return.

They arrived with no problems in the early afternoon and as neither of them were even remotely tired, the immediately went to Feldpost’s. They knew that if they took too long, Tranzig might leave, to deliver some other message for Tazok. As they entered Roisin looked at Branwen and saw trepidation in her eyes. She placed a hand on Branwen’s shoulder and she looked at Roisin, then after a moment grinned and nodded, her usual bravado returning. Roisin questioned whether she truly wished to travel alone, having found such joy in traveling with others, but decided that it would be best for her to continue on alone. They asked the bartender about Tranzig, and he told them which room he was staying in.

They went upstairs, and stopped outside his door. Roisin put an arrow to the string and readied herself, as Branwen began casting spells that would aid them in battle. Although Branwen knew how to silence Tranzig magically, they decided they needed him to speak, and so chose to leave the spell alone. Branwen cast a spell that would keep them from being feared, blessed them, placed a chant upon the two of them, protected herself from evil, and drew upon the might of her god. (I intentionally went overboard with these spells, seeing how this is the only time we’ll be using her.) They then went inside and Branwen removed her helm, stepping up to Tranzig and asking if he remembered her. Roisin stood in the doorway, so that he could not escape. Tranzig appeared short before the tall muscular woman, and a flash of memory darted across his eyes, but he played it off quite coolly, saying that he did not recognize her, and he wished to leave the town, so could she please leave. Roisin interjected, asking why he was in such a hurry. Tranzig responded quite aggressively, saying that he wouldn’t tell them anything. Branwen commented, saying that he would not be rid of them that easily. They knew what he was up to, and he had better tell them everything he knew. Tranzig then said “Well perhaps you don’t know that I’m a mage, and I’ll blast ya to kingdom come, right Branwen?” Even though Branwen’s back was turned to Roisin, she knew that those strong eyes of Branwen’s were aflame with fury, but realizing how traumatic their previous encounter had been, Roisin decided to be the first to speak, saying that they were not of afraid of any mage, and to bring it on. Tranzig was barely able to cast a spell to protect himself before two arrows from Roisin and a strong blow to his skull from Branwen killed him with a sickening crunch. (his plea for mercy dialogue never even triggered)

Branwen turned to Roisin and said that she was proud to stand with such a strong warrior. (she actually did. As soon as he died, that random dialogue came out. I don’t know if it’s random or scripted, but it was satisfying) Roisin smiled at her, saying she was proud to stand by her as well. They searched Tranzig’s corpse and found a letter, tell Tranzig to check out the mines, to see why Mulahey had not communicated. Roisin was puzzled, considering how recently he had died, but assumed from the way he reacted when she came that they were not on good terms. It also said that their next raid would be at Peldvale or Larswood, so he was to go there and track them back to their camp. Branwen said that she assumed that was where Roisin would next go, to which Roisin gave an affirmative. Branwen asked if Roisin had changed her mind when it came to traveling companions, and Roisin looked down sadly, saying that it was not Branwen’s fight. Branwen looked as if she was about to argue, but realized that it would be no use. She sighed and said that should Roisin ever need a servant of Tempus, or a friend, that she would be happy to help. Roisin thanked her, and then said that now was not the time for sadness! Now was a time for celebration! Branwen’s eyes sparkled and she agreed heartily. Deciding that after walking upstairs and brutalizing a patron of the inn, they might wish to go to one of the other bars in the area. On Tranzig’s person was a wand, which Roisin could tell at a glance was a wand of magic missiles, though she had no clue how many charges it had. He also had a ring of protection, and Roisin told Branwen to keep it, as a symbol of her victory. Branwen grinned broadly at her and accepted the ring, saying that it would always remind her of friends and victorious battles. She also gave Branwen her wand of magic missiles, saying that this way they both had arcane magic on their side.

They went to the Red Sheaf and laughed and drank their way through many ales, till they were both quite drunk. (I actually had them drink ales till they were inebriated) Eventually the bartender told them to go to bed and stop drinking all his ale, as the small elf woman and large northern amazon had drunk their way through a whole barrel of his ale. They purchased a single room, being too drunk to think, and collapsed into bed together, laughing drunkenly the whole time. They passed out together and woke the next morning, both groaning with sore heads. When they realized they were in the same bed they looked at each other confused, then laughed, and then groaned, as the laughter caused them more pain. They stayed in the inn for the rest of the day, planning on traveling from there once the hangover had passed. While resting, Branwen returned the boots Roisin had given her, saying that Roisin would need them more than her. (Talos’ Gift, in case you guys are wondering) Eventually the pain went away and the two bid each other farewell, both of them seeming strong, but quite sorrowful over the parting. Branwen had decided to stay in town and see what work she could drum up for herself. Roisin decided to travel to Peldvale, to see what she could find about this Tazok.

Before she could leave town, however, a small girl came running up to Roisin, telling her that someone in the Jovial Juggler gave her a gold piece to find her. Roisin, instantly worried, was relieved a bit when she thought that an assassin would be unlikely to pay a child for assistance. Even so, she was cautious, and told the breathless child to slow down, asking who wished to find her. The girl said that the lady was named officer Vai, and she was with the Flaming Fist. She also added that Roisin needn’t worry, because the lady was “real nice.” Roisin had bad memories of the Fist, but knew that they were overall an honorable and just organization. She asked how the girl knew her name, to which the girl replied that everyone was talking about her. Apparently the news of Roisin saving the Nashkel mines had traveled quickly. Roisin smiled, partly out of satisfaction, and partly at the girl’s adorable excitement. She thanked the girl and told her she had earned her gold piece. The girl happily said “Good!” and then went on to say that Roisin was real nice. She also told Roisin that the girl’s mother said that the Sword Coast needs some real heroes these days. After that she said “Tymora be with you, okay?” Before skipping off. Roisin smiled, thinking that maybe one day she might settle down and have a few kids of her own, if her travels permit it.

She then went to the Jovial Juggler immediately, and a woman Roisin assumed was officer Vai approached her, asking if she was, in fact, Roisin. Roisin nodded, saying she had met Vai’s little messenger, to which Vai grinned and said that it had been an effective use of a gold piece, it would seem. Vai then said that she needed Roisin’s help, to which Roisin, half sarcastically, half genuinely, said that she was honored to be found worthy of her notice. She then asked how she could assist. Vai explained that her contingent and she had been cut off from Baldur’s Gate. They had received no new orders for close to a week, and Vai didn’t like the feel of this at all. Apparently the bandit raids had gotten worse since Roisin returned from Nashkel. Vai believed they were working for someone. She told Roisin that she’d pay her a large sum for every bandit scalp she could bring her, and she told Roisin to spread the news. Roisin bid her good day, and returned to the Red Sheaf to tell Branwen about the bandit scalps, as it would likely be easy work for good pay. Branwen asked if now she couldn’t assist Roisin, but Roisin turned her down, saying that this was still her job. After a much shorter goodbye than previously, Roisin prepared to set out for Peldvale.

(This paragraph may be unnecessary, but this is the internet and people like to form ideas about things and hypothesize. This is not likely to surprise anyone, but I just want you all to know. Nothing happened between Branwen and Roisin. This is not a fanfic, nor do I intend it to ever become one. It was an amusing detail I thought I’d add. Nothing more. As for anyone wondering about Roisin’s sexuality now, she is decidedly heterosexual. I think Roisin, despite being a firecracker, likes the idea of a strong male lover. After all, she wants kids someday. And no, that detail was not added to further validate this paragraph. Anyway, sorry for this random paragraph. I just thought I’d set things straight before anyone decided to form their own ideas.)

I don't think I'm going to do a second update of Roisin tonight after all. I've got a serious itch to play some more with Theodoric, (my solo cavalier run) so I think I'm going to do that and say Roisin just took a four day weekend after all. =p
    edited March 2014
    Elrandir said:

Nothing happened between Branwen and Roisin. This is not a fanfic, nor do I intend it to ever become one. It was an amusing detail I thought I’d add. Nothing more. As for anyone wondering about Roisin’s sexuality now, she is decidedly heterosexual. I think Roisin, despite being a firecracker, likes the idea of a strong male lover.

I think she's still got a minor crush on Nalin ;)
    Post edited by Blackraven on
    @Blackraven‌ Hahahaha Perhaps, but only in the way a little girl crushes on a much older guy. =p
    Another installment is coming! I've got one mostly completed right now, but I have some stuff to do tomorrow, so I need to get some sleep now. I'll get it out either early tomorrow or late tomorrow. But it WILL. BE. TOMORROW. Roisin returns!
    Hurrah!
    ROI. SIN. IS. BAAAAAAAACK! It's not the most exciting of returns, but she is back. I'll try to post more regularly in future.

As Roisin prepared to leave town, she suddenly realized that she had the ring from the dead miner that she needed to give to his widow. Cursing herself, she rushed back to Nashkel and gave the woman her ring, apologizing for her forgetfulness. The woman cared less about her forgetfulness, and more about her husband, to which Roisin looked down sadly before saying that she found the ring near a corpse she thought was his. The woman nodded quietly and thanked Roisin for the ring. Roisin left the house and as the door closed she heard sobbing from within. Roisin grit her teeth, but knew she wasn’t a miracle worker. She couldn’t save everyone.

Having found a magical ring she gained from the half-orc in the mines in her gem back, she took it to Nalin, happy to get a chance to stop by, even if it was for very little. As always, he was cordial and polite, and identified the ring as an honorary ring of Sune, a goddess. The ring was powerful for clerics, and he asked to purchase it from her. She of course sold it to him, for a reasonable price. He also identified her wand of magic missiles, revealing it to have many more charges than her previous one. She then went to the shop and sold her old boots of hiding, believing her skills to be strong enough without them. (she also sold the ring here, but I wanted to role-play it a bit.)

Wanting to return to bandit hunting as soon as possible, Roisin traveled on, ignoring any mild fatigue she had. She traveled north of “Mutamin’s Garden”, and found herself in a new area. Unsure what she might find, she traveled northwest a bit, and encountered several hostile red mages. Roisin tried to reason with them, saying that she didn’t care what they were up to, and would be on her way immediately. They would not accept this, however, and Roisin was forced to fight. They cast several different protective spells upon themselves, but Roisin killed the leader before he could attack her. Another one fell to Roisin’s arrows after a failed acid arrow. The next two cast a weak two bolt magic missile and a horror at Roisin. The magic missile barely grazed Roisin, while the horror did nothing to her. They then cast another magic missile and a color spray, but these did absolutely nothing to her. A third magic missile wounded her slightly more than the previous one had, but it still did little but singe her. A few more well placed arrows and the last two mages fell before casting any further spells. On their bodies were magical robes and some scrolls. One of them had a magical ring as well, which Roisin stashed in her gem bag. She looked around for anything else she could find, but found nothing of note.

She traveled further northwest, and met another man. This one seemed relatively peaceful, so she came and spoke with him. The man said that a tasloi had stolen a scroll of wisdom from him and he wished it back. Roisin shrugged and accepted the task, thinking she might find some clue of the bandits while exploring. She searched east of the man, and found a dead tasloi, with an ettercap standing over it. She killed the ettercap with three arrows, long before it could reach her, and then took the scroll. She returned to the man who told her to keep it, as it would increase her “karmic essence.” Roisin raised an eyebrow at the man, looked him in the eye, decided he was crazy, and forced him to take it, saying a good deed done was plenty for her. Between the strangeness of the man, and him being willing to give up something he had requested be returned to him, something seemed wrong, and Roisin didn’t want to keep the scroll. He tried to protest, but she forced him to take it, and then left.

She traveled to the west, finding her way into a forest which was written on her map as Larswood. From the edge of this forest, she went northward, seeing some strange looking ruins nearby. As she neared them, a man came running up to her, spear in hand, and accused her of killing his brothers! Startled Roisin tried to reason with the man, but he lunged at her with his spear, and she was forced to defend with him. The man was a druid, and he summoned two bears from the nearby forest, which Roisin was forced to deal with. The druid fell quickly, but the bears were more troublesome. Fortunately, another druid appeared, attacking first the aggressive druid, and then the bears. When the enemy was dead, Roisin came up to him, asking who he was. The man introduced himself as Corsone, and he apologized for the actions of the previous druid, who had been called Osmadi. He said that bandits had attacked and killed all the druids at this shrine. Roisin asked why he would be willing to let her attack Osmadi. He said that he had lost his mind, and nothing could’ve been done. Something in his eyes made Roisin suspicious, and she persisted. She said that it is rather hard to believe he’d write off a life so easily, to which he responded surprisingly aggressively, telling her to leave him be, so he could bury his companion. Roisin had not heard him call Osmadi that before, and questioned him, asking why someone would be so willing to kill their “companion.” Corsone became increasingly agitated, yelling at Roisin that he had killed no one. Roisin yelled back, saying that she thought he was lying. She believed he just wanted help killing him! Corsone suddenly calmed down and his eyes turned dark. He quietly agreed, and then explained that he was a shadow druid and had killed Osmadi and his companions, and now Roisin would die next. Roisin jumped back and prepared to fight. Fortunately, the man was full of hot air, and he fell within three arrows. Roisin brushed the dust off of her and shook her head, thinking about Corsone and wishing she could have come sooner to save Osmadi and companions from their fate. Osmadi carried a magical spear, but there was nothing else of note.

(Roisin leveled from this battle, gaining an extra point of THAC0, another use of called shot, a minor increase to her stealth, more hit points, and a handy first level priest spell. I took armor of faith, since I think I have enough healing spells as it is. 10% damage reduction is nothing to sneeze at, even if it’s not as good as it will become. With this, we have a silly 2 THAC0, which will drop to 1, once we get a better bow.)

She began to explore the forest, finding little of note, though she did encounter a group of bandits. She wanted to get some info from them, but failed to gain anything but some scalps and money. Discouraged by the lack of information, she then traveled north, to Peldvale.

Once at Peldvale, she began searching around. After a short encounter with a wraith spider, Roisin heard a woman’s voice calling for help. Roisin rushed to the source of the sound and saw a dark skinned woman who Roisin could only assume was a drow, though in the dark of the night it was hard to tell. The woman ran up to Roisin, fear in her eyes, and begged Roisin to help her, or else they would kill her. Roisin told the woman to calm down, saying that she would help and asking who the woman was. The woman introduced herself as Viconia and said she wasn’t from around her, before thanking Roisin for helping. A moment later a Flaming Fist mercenary appeared, saying that Viconia was wanted for murder of the foulest sort. Roisin was at first willing to believe an officer of the law, but his following racist statement caused Roisin to doubt. Viconia protested, saying that she had done nothing wrong. Roisin asked what he would do to Viconia if she stepped back, to which the mercenary replied that he would kill her, of course. Roisin would not allow this, and drew her katana. The ensuing battle was quite short, and the mercenary fell with a few swings. Viconia offered her services to Roisin as payment, but Roisin refused, saying she was currently busy on a mission of her own. Viconia was not unsatisfied with this, however, as she could see the goodness within Roisin and left immediately. (I recruited her, but then immediately dismissed her. She left the game though, because my rep was too high. =\ ) Roisin was a little confused by the events of the eve, but continued to search for any signs of the bandit camp.

Far to the east of the area she encountered several more bandits, who she dealt with. Once again, she could not glean any information from them, and since it was late and Roisin was both tired and burdened with a great deal of loot, she traveled west, to the FAI to stay the night. There she identified her items, sold them, and slept. She decided she would search for the bandits more tomorrow. Among the things she identified, she did find a magical ring of bolts, which she put on her finger. Nothing else was of use to her, though.

Good to have Roisin back! :)
    Progress? Could it be? Is the story not over? Find out soon. ;)
    edited August 2014
    Day 63: The Bandit Camp Destroyed

Roisin awoke the next morning and put on her gear before preparing to head out. She adjusted her armor and set out, determined to find the bandit camp today. And find it she did. North of Peldvale she noticed a group of bandits traveling northward. She decided to follow them stealthily and soon found herself outside of a large camp of bandits. She tensed up, suddenly unsure of it all. This was a large group of bandits, and she was unsure she could handle this many. She then remembered a trinket she held in her gem bag, which she pulled out and clasped tightly. With this in hand she inched forward cautiously. She approached the camp from the north and as soon as she was spotted she held the amulet up, flinching as the explosive sound of a fireball erupted from it. The ensuing damage was severe. The first two hobgoblins she hit survived, but barely. The rushed her, and she drew her wakizashi instinctively, cutting them down without hesitation. As she killed the second one, a third approached, having heard the sounds of battle.

She dueled it and brought it down. To her relief, no more approached. She entered the camp cautiously, keeping her necklace ready in case she should need it. She entered the closest tent and found little within, apart from three gnolls. The first she shot down in the tent, but the other two she ran outside to fight. Fortunately three arrows brought them both down.

She entered the second tent after disposing of three hobgoblins standing outside. Once within she found little of interest apart from yet another hobgoblin who fell with a single well placed arrow. Outside the third tent she fought a group of human bandits, who did little apart from restock Roisin’s dwindling arrow supply.

Inside the tent, however, a bandit came up to her and began jabbering about “not liking the look of ya”, to which Roisin kicked him to the floor, drew her bow and said “Nor I the look of you. Now tell me what you know about the camp.” The bandit tried to play coy, but Roisin put a foot on his groin and told him to tell her now. The bandit yelped in fear and began telling her everything he knew, which wasn’t much to be sure, but it was enough. Tazok’s tent was the largest one in the camp, and there were just guards in there. Along with a prisoner, which piqued Roisin’s interests. For the good job the bandit had done, she let him live.

Her next point of interest was a large cave near the tents. Once she had entered, however, she considered leaving immediately. Within were a number of gnolls, and none of them looked pleased to see her.

One of them demanded their “clan’s” freedom, but Roisin gripped the amulet of fireballs and said that no one would escape today. She launched a fireball, which was aimed too close to her and singed her. What it did not singe, however, were the gnolls. They were burned. Severely.

With just a few arrows Roisin cleared the group out with minimal injuries. There wasn’t much on them, but that didn’t really matter to her. One less pack of filthy mutts in the world. After clearing the pack out, she traveled further into the camp. She found a group of human bandits, led by a warrior wearing exquisite full plate mail.

He was a worthy foe, but his armor did not save him from her and he soon fell. She looted several valuables from his corpse and then continued onwards. She found what she assumed was Tazok’s tent, but she ignored it for the time being. Outside of it stood several grunts, which she dealt with mercilessly. Having cleared the area, she decided to check the last tent before heading into Tazok’s tent. Within she found nothing but a small sack of gold. With this she left and steeled herself for the battle against Tazok. Or so she thought. Once she entered she saw a gnoll, a hobgoblin, and two humans, one of which appeared to be a mage. The human who was not a mage approached and threatened Roisin, but Roisin did not even hesitate to attack, sending a fireball at the group. It wounded the enemy somewhat, but she raised her hand and launched a beam of energy from the ring she wore at the mage immediately afterwards.

Neither attack hit him, but they shredded through his mirror images, and the mage was visibly concerned. She began to fire arrows at him, and before long he crumpled to the ground. Between dodging (or at least trying to dodge) the gnoll and human bandit’s physical strikes, she launched arrows at the hobgoblin archer, eager to stop him, as the bow he wielded enhanced his accuracy, she was sure. Once he was dead, she focused on the gnoll next.

When he had fallen it took merely a single arrow to fell the human bandit. Safe at last, Roisin prepared to search through her spoils. On the mage she found a robe, several scrolls, and a small pouch of money. On the gnoll she found naught but gems. On the human bandit she found ten arrows of ice, which she gladly pocketed, and on the hobgoblin archer she found an enchanted long bow. It was unfortunate that it was not a shortbow, for she was certain that it was highly enchanted. In the containers around the tent she found a great deal of money, along with a valuable potion of magic blocking. Next to a large chest she found the prisoner she had heard mention of before, chained to the wall.

He seemed worse for wear, and she quickly broke his chain. He expressed surprise at this, to which she replied that she was a friend. They spoke for several minutes, and he explained that the root of the problem lay with the Iron Throne.

He said that the best bet he had for where Roisin could find the Throne would be in the Cloakwood forest. Before he left he said that there were some documents of importance in the chest next to him. With this he disappeared, never to be seen again. Unfortunately, he neglected to mention the lightning trap placed on the chest. Roisin’s boots of grounding greatly reduced her injuries, but the bolt still burned. Once inside, however, Roisin found two letters from a mysterious “Davaeorn” to Tazok. The name Davaeorn rang a bell, though Roisin couldn’t quite place where she’d heard it before. Burdened with loot, she traveled to the FAI, eager to rest and then travel south to inform Officer Vai of her deeds.

This is actually my favorite piece of cutscene art in the entire game. It just looks really good for so many different reasons.

Once she was at the FAI, she spoke with Gellana Mirrorshade and had her identify her items first, before selling them to Bently Mirrorshade. Outside the inn itself, the red robed old man she had met several times before approached her, and introduced himself as Elminster! Before Roisin could fully process this shocking fact, he said that he had heard many things about her in the past few tendays, and he was most impressed. Roisin was grateful but quite perplexed as to why THE Elminster would care to speak with her. Regardless, she thanked him and inquired if he had any advice regarding her current mission. He said that she knew where she must next go without his aid, to which she agreed, although she asked for his advice regardless. Before leaving he made a few cryptic comments and then bid her luck.

After that she spent the night at the inn, though she was plagued by nightmares yet again. When she awoke, she felt a new power within herself, though she was unsure as to the effect of it. She traveled south (after making a non-rped trip back to the bandit camp to pick up 30+ scalps I left in a chest due to lack of inventory space) to Beregost, where she went to the Jovial Juggler immediately. She handed over the pile of scalps to Vai in exchange for a large sum of gold, (1700 gp) and then told her about the bandit camp, or the lack thereof now. Vai was overjoyed with Roisin’s work and told her that they would call on her in future, should she make it to the city of Baldur’s Gate.

Vai and her unit left immediately, and Roisin settled in to the bar for a nice hot meal and a good long rest before heading onwards to the Cloakwood Forest.
    Although I do think that as a Ranger, Roisin could have been a bit kínder to the bats, I must congratulate her with the way she took care of the bandits. No small feat.

An entertaining read my friend, as always!
    @Blackraven‌ I was so confused when I saw all the *1 XP* notifications. Then I realized I'd slaughtered a few innocent bats. XD And thanks! It's nice to get back to Roisin after so long. I figured I'd better get to it before the thread got archived. =p
  • OlteronOlteron Member Posts: 67
    Wish you continused this.