Skip to content

So how do you feel about baldur's gate atm?

I like this game, i like it a lot, but then, i played it for almost 15 years. I'm tired of the main history atm, sometimes i force myself onto a run, to just gave it up later when i reach middle++ game, and this is happening both in BG:EE and BG2:EE.

Ok, some ppl maybe flame me, others will say that i have to use more mods (i used almost everything avaliable for new tastes), others maybe feel the same way.

So some ppl will ask: Why r' u making a thread to share this? Well the answer is, i'm curious with one single situation.

The fact i gave up many runs is a show of boringness, yes. But what can explain why i START so many times? What compel me to start new runs over and over for 15 years without getting bored of starting new games on Baldur's Gate?

Is every RPG like this? Hell, no. That's i'm sure about. I can't even think in restart a Heroes V or VI run without starting to feel bored. Mass Effect? Has the inverse effect on me, i can maybe play a middle + game from ME2 forward, but start a mass effect 1 from the start? Never (atm). Dragon Age 2 is the same, can't even feel compeled to play that again... so what's the answer for Baldur's Gate Mojo?

The answe is simple my friends, the game system. When i start a new character, i can see him into a probally future with many different buildings. Another game that make me feel the same (but the urge to play sustain for a shorter time than Baldur's Gate) is Neverwinter Night 2. The worst main history i played, but i liked so much that engine that i made it to the end.

SO now, the main point of this post:

Why not make new adventure histories inside Baldur's Gate (and Oblivion Engine of NWN2 as well if you ppl have the Copyrights). Make them short if needed, some you start at low level others at a mid level and some few at high level. Tell short tales with these micro adventures. Some could be crossover histories with Bhaalspawn saga, other could (and should) be totally new and different adventures.

Would WotC allow this? Has ATARY any saying in adventures that doesn't make use of Bhaalspawn saga? Only use the engine and the D&D system?

Hell, you ppl revived this engine and now is that? End of the game? Maybe the famous adventure X (or Y) and that's it? Explore your product, because we have something good here, let's make a good use of it.

So after a long time with this heavy and hard to understand feeling in my chest, i think i finally got it right in how to share my feelings on the actual moment of Baldur's Gate and Infinite Engine.

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    I never get bored bored in BG1, sometimes (not often) in SoA when the game becomes a bit lineair, and I have only completed ToB twice (because it's a bit too epic for me).
    I think your question has already been answered by the BG:EE developers' statement that they were interested in developing a BG3EE, depending on how succesful they would be with BG1EE and BG2EE.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Mods are what keep bg fresh and exciting for me. Scs and no reload or minimal reload challenges keep the game challenging and exciting. If I feel like I'm going through the motions I won't play.
    lunar said:

Mods are what keep bg fresh and exciting for me. Scs and no reload or minimal reload challenges keep the game challenging and exciting. If I feel like I'm going through the motions I won't play.

Yes, I've only recently "discovered" no-reload, and it makes the game very exciting.
    Something else I've only recently begun doing: fleshing out a backstory/personality for your charnames. This makes each experience unique.
  • davendaven Member Posts: 112
    What's your question exactly? That was a bit of a rambling mess.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    daven said:

What's your question exactly? That was a bit of a rambling mess.

read to the end and you will get there. Or don't read at all.

lunar said:

Yes, I've only recently "discovered" no-reload, and it makes the game very exciting.
    Something else I've only recently begun doing: fleshing out a backstory/personality for your charnames. This makes each experience unique.

Think i can make a no-reload run solo game, the challenge maybe make me play it to the end.
    It's not only about no-reload, but also quest/NPC/strategical/etc. mods, editing you character into something really special, imposing certain restrictions on yourself etc. Plus adhering strictly to the alignment/personality concept you develop for your characters. E.g. I ran a Wizard Slayer with a defined personality and who would never have any arcane casters in her party. It was quite interesting really. It's all about immersion, identifying yourself with your characters. I still can, after many years and uncountable hours of playing...
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited March 2014
    Okay, so about the subject of seeking new stimulation and excitement for the game, i.e., its replayability:

Two examples of methods for playing BG that have breathed new life into the game for me:

"Let the Fates Decide"

Random PC and Party Generation

which are of course just personal favorites of my own. But players are coming up with them all the time in the spirit of the Challenges and Playthroughs forum. (See here for explanation of what the forum is about.)

Players can create their own challenge or playthrough threads in General and let them run their course there, where they will get the most views and participation. They are then encouraged to move the thread themselves over to Challenges and Playthroughs, or they can ask a mod to do it (it's simple to do yourself, though*). And if you want your challenge or playthrough thread added to the archive thread you do have to request that be done in this thread.

There is a sort of rough attempt at organization in the archive thread. I admit, though, that organizing all the various challenge and playthrough methods that are generated in both General and the Challenges and Playthroughs subforum into some sort of coherent index of gaming methods is daunting. And personally, I lack the time to even attempt something like that these days. But at least we created a kind of sandbox for it, messy though it may be.

* On the General Discussion forum index page click the check box next to the thread title. That generates a popup to move the thread to another forum. It's that simple.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • ZaknafeinBaenreZaknafeinBaenre Member Posts: 349
    The answer to why you keep "starting" new runs is, I think, and acknowledgment of how deeply the game affected you that first time you played it. It was truly magical, and you keep doing new runs in the hopes of recreating or recapturing the glory.

Half-way through you go "no...no, that's not it." And you try again.

Blackraven has the right of it. You have to be able to impose rules upon yourself that really change the game to get the same old thrill. No reload and solo runs have helped me as well
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Actually, my first time playing BG was not magical, nor did it endear itself to me. I played it on the floor of Gen Con in Milwaukee about 4 months before it was released. After waiting in line for my turn at the game, I got to play for 10 minutes. I was like "This is Real Time? What the heck?" I remember getting to the Friendly Arm Inn (with a pregenerated character that started out after leaving Candlekeep so as not to spoil any of the plot). I was like "yeah, I think I will give this game a pass. it is no where near as good as the Gold Box Pool of Radiance games."

I'm not a fan of Iron Man games (no-reload) because you invest hours and hours into a game only to get killed by some random encounter (stoned, as for example). But I get the concept of playing the game differently. For me it is all about the personalities of the party and how I imagine they interact that keeps me coming back for more.
  • GawdzillaGawdzilla Member Posts: 86
    There's only one main story, and getting thru parts of it can be tedious when lots of the game is memorized. But there are so many ways to play it...!

Case in point, recently I ran as a Paladin. Never had before. Usually I try out kits, and I love spell casters, but this time -- something different. I was amazed at how powerful he was. Many battles, where before I had to reload time & again, he went in and chunked everything in sight!

Looking back at earlier parties, nearly everyone had at most 2 pips in long swords or whatever. Of course a weapon grand master does more damage. I 'knew' that about the game system. But seeing it play out before my eyes made that one very fun.

And it's a blast to settle in and build a new character. That's started many new run throughs..

I'm not a fan of Iron Man games (no-reload) because you invest hours and hours into a game only to get killed by some random encounter (stoned, as for example). But I get the concept of playing the game differently. For me it is all about the personalities of the party and how I imagine they interact that keeps me coming back for more.

You might want to try "minimal" reload, one version of which is to reload only in the event of the PC's death. But otherwise, you live with whatever happens in the game. It does increase the tension (in a good way).
    Lemernis said:

You might want to try "minimal" reload, one version of which is to reload only in the event of the PC's death. But otherwise, you live with whatever happens in the game. It does increase the tension (in a good way).

thanks for the suggestion. I'm not a great player and usually end up dying a bunch of times. With Minimum reload, I'd end up with no party members left to recruit by about the Bandit camp. Then I'd be hosed.

I'm more about the role play aspect anyway. A game's relative difficulty generally doesn't matter to me unless it is so prohibitively hard that I can't complete it, or it's Mario easy such that a six year old could complete it with no training and no weapons. Short of those two scenarios, i'm just not that into it. I'll muddle through regardless.

edited March 2014

For me it is all about the personalities of the party and how I imagine they interact that keeps me coming back for more.

I totally relate to this, as I started doing that in the current game I've been journaling and it is my most immersive experience of the game in 15 years. I find that imagined reactions can actually shape what the party does. There are certain things the party must to do to advance in the game, as we know. But there is still a surprising degree of freedom (moreso in BG1 than BG2 I feel) to explore and make sense of the story as it unfolds according to that roleplay. Anyway, kudos for that approach!
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • BlakeDrapetaBlakeDrapeta Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2014
    Honestly, disappointed.

When I first heard about EE, I thought, "holy crap, so we'll get more features unhardcoded so the community can make the forgotten realms adventures we know and love?!"

There is a thread with externalization requests that has been sitting Feature Requests forum for almost two years, but no word on whether or not any of them have been considered, OK'd or rejected. INB4 they're too busy.

"Why not make new adventure histories inside Baldur's Gate"

This is what I have been saying for a while. Bethesda owes a lot of it's sales to their modding community, which provides new content (for free), fixes up the game (once again, for free), and attracts new blood. New Vegas was a steaming pile of crap, but people still buy it because they can download mods to fix that and more.
  • TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 208
    I´ve been toying with an idea of a main plot speed run which would keep the game challenging during the whole time, though I´ve got my doubts about character performance without certain gear/levels.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Tarlugn said:

I´ve been toying with an idea of a main plot speed run which would keep the game challenging during the whole time, though I´ve got my doubts about character performance without certain gear/levels.

You don't even need to pick a single thing in a speed run. I've completed ToB in a speed run (around seven minutes, nothing remarkable), just try to break cutscenes and use haste and some other cheese, it's definetly very easy. BG1 is also easy, I completed it in two hours without breaking the story to advance faster (at 60 FPS of course), just pick a warrior class and a good weapon proficiency.
    CrevsDaak said:

Tarlugn said:

You don't even need to pick a single thing in a speed run. I've completed ToB in a speed run (around seven minutes, nothing remarkable), just try to break cutscenes and use haste and some other cheese, it's definetly very easy. BG1 is also easy, I completed it in two hours without breaking the story to advance faster (at 60 FPS of course), just pick a warrior class and a good weapon proficiency.
    7 minutes for TOB?? That sounds like a miracle to me.
  • ZaknafeinBaenreZaknafeinBaenre Member Posts: 349
    7 minutes for all of ToB!?!?? Do it again and post it to youtube.
    7 minutes? I've had individual battles last that long.

7 minutes for all of ToB!?!?? Do it again and post it to youtube.

Not ALL, just killing Yaga-Shura, Illasera and Balthazar to be avle to kill Amelyssan and finish the game, really, it's pretty fast, but Smilge and Exploafing Cabbage done ToB in 5 minutes so I don't win anything.
    I completed ToB in one hour with a Sorcerer solo, I already had more than 12 millions XP (level 40 is 11 millions) and the best equipment for my class so everything but winning the game was obsolete.
    ToB took me 3 days the first time I completed it, I was amused of how short it was abd how easy the battles were.
    Well vanilla TOB isn't too hard. My first run, with a Swashy went well until my game kept crashing.
    Two years ago, my first full playthrough, I ran the game on Ascension, now that was something else, especially the final battle. I gained lots of white hairs there :P
    Anyway 7 or say 10 minutes sounds very efficient even with a level 40 sorcerer!
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    The hardest thing for me about vanilla ToB is staying interested.
    No, it took me one hour with my level 40 Sorcerer solo, that 7 minutes run was with a ToB-Created Sorcerer and it was completely following this :P
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I deal with this issue by not playing BG all the time. I have a rotation of about two dozen favorite games. Every once in a while, a new release will make it into my rotation, but that's very rare.

Currently, I've been trying to get into Age of Wonders, which is a fantasy strategy game like Dark Wizard and Heroes of Might and Magic, only harder. I just recently completed Torchlight 2 for the first time, and before that, I played some Neverwinter Nights for a couple of weeks.

My rotation lasts about a year to 18 months, and Baldur's Gate will typically take up about 8-12 weeks of every rotation.

By the time I get back around to any game in my rotation, it feels fairly fresh again. Absence really does make the heart grow fonder in the case of classic games. I can usually muster some pleasant feelings of nostalgia and enjoyment playing BG after being away for about a year. I only do about one complete run a year, or a few partial runs once a year.