Skip to content

How big a part does gaming play in your life? A poll about gaming habits

BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
edited March 2014 in Off-Topic
Come share your gamings habits in as much detail as possible. How would you describe yourself as a gamer? How often do you play? Is gaming your main past-time activity or just one hobby among the rest, or do you perhaps make your living out of playing games? Have you ever had issues with your gaming or thought that it adversely impacted your life? Have your gaming habits stayed roughly the same or changed over time?

Feel free to answer all, some or any of the questions or possibly add your own. Also, you can include personal information such as age, sex and occupation if you wish.
  1. How big a part does gaming play in your life? A poll about gaming habits61 votes
    1. I am a hardcore gamer; a significant amount of my waking hours are spent gaming. I play (almost) every day, year-round
      34.43%
    2. I am a serious gamer; I play heartily and consistently, every week, while having other hobbies/activities of bigger or equal importance in my life
      32.79%
    3. I am a binge gamer; I go long periods of time without any gaming, but when I get down to it, I play A LOT
      22.95%
    4. I am a casual gamer; I consider gaming a hobby and play every now and then, but rarely for extended periods of time
        6.56%
    5. I am a passive gamer; I retain an interest in gaming but rarely, if ever find myself sitting down to play
        1.64%
    6. I play/am engaged with video games professionaly, in one way or another
        1.64%
Post edited by Ballad on
lolienTeflonWilburRavenslight

Comments

• BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    edited March 2014
    Personally, I fall squarely into the binge gamer camp. Though I don't exactly lack the free time, I try to keep myself away from games for extended periods of time. Every now and then, however, the urge to play gets too overwhelming or a long-awaited title comes out. When this happens, I totally lose myself in gaming. The rest of the world - school, work, relationships, other hobbies - fades to insignificance. I sometimes go days without even leaving my apartment, except for quick trips to the grocery store. If I'm forced to do something else due to obligations, I do it begrudgingly with minimal attention, and return to my gaming as soon as I'm physically able. I play and play until the game is over or I'm so physically and emotionally exhausted that I cannot take it anymore.

I am aware of how unhealthy my binges are and I try my best to "time" them so that I don't end up screwing my life up too bad in the process. Thankfully, I am very picky with my games; there are very few titles that manage to capture my attention, ensuring I only go on binges about 1-4 times a year.

I am a 25-year-old male, currently going to Graduate school.
    Post edited by Ballad on
    lethaltoconcreteJenzafar
  • lethaltoconcretelethaltoconcrete Member Posts: 27
    Haha. 'Binge gamer' - I like that. Definitely what I am, too. I -used- to be a pretty hardcore/serious gamer at various points in my life, but for a while now, I've been trying to do more productive stuff with my time... 'Course, when I get ahold of a really good game, I get super addicted and can't help but play obsessively. If I had more self control, I'd probably let myself play games all the time >.<
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Hardly play games at all anymore, but I'd like to. I'm also a student.
    booinyoureyesTeflon
  • ZaknafeinBaenreZaknafeinBaenre Member Posts: 349
    I have spent time in almost every category. Once I was hardcore, but after getting a job and a wife, I've been downgraded to serious. I imagine if I have kids I'll have to take a further downgrade to casual :/
    JuliusBorisov
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Not to cause an argument, but This would probably be more accurate if it was anonymous.
  • ImperatorImperator Member Posts: 154
    When I was unemployed and wasn't in the university yet, I was hardcore, mainly because I had nothing else to do than to play. Now with studies and a larger interest in playing guitar I spend less time gaming, but still a lot and wold like to spend more time in the magical la la land.
    meagloth said:

Not to cause an argument, but This would probably be more accurate if it was anonymous.

My name isn't really Zak, so it kinda is anonymous :)-
    jackjackbooinyoureyes
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I just only play BG, not many games are as good as it. Or at least I can't find them.
    BlackravenjackjackJuliusBorisovbooinyoureyes
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    Number 1.

Cos TV sucks.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I am playing too much. That's all I have to say.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    There are three things that i do not gaming. and one of those is just not playing videos games but instead playing warhammer and magic the gathering. on wednesdays i play various tabletop RPGs and i work to fund my gaming habit.....and house
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I didn't play any videogames other than an occasional half hour of FIFA with a friend for about two years, then when BGEE came out I beat the game in about a week.

I also play Heroes of Might and Magic 3 about every three years for a week religiously, then wait for a couple more to install it again.

I am probably playing most regularly nowadays with Infinity Engine games, maybe 3 times a week for about 1-3 hours a session. It is a change actually. Baldur's Gate is probably the only game I don't get sick of after five minutes.
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited April 2014
    I play something pretty much everyday. On weekdays I have to work so I only play maybe an hour or two when I get home before dinner though. After dinner I usually watch TV, then read a little before going to bed.

I probably spend most time playing racing games. My current obsession is F1 2013.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Thank you games, because of you, I have no life.
    jackjackCrevsDaakmeaglothbooinyoureyes
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Games keep me alive. Together with friends and family and a sense of moral obligation not to abandon the people I fight for to make this world a more just place for living with mental illnesses, it's all the games I still want to play that act as an 'anti-suicidalicant'.

There's a downside too however, besides giving comfort and a way to forget once in a while this real world full of injustice (and exchange it for a world where injustice is being fought by swinging a sword and slinging a spell), the danger is gaming for too long when I actually should be sleeping. 0:00 is a sound time to go to bed, but sometimes I'm gaming till 1:00 or 2:00 at night, with ever rarer gaming binges where I can't stop past 2:00. I've been known to play games all night long till dawn when I was in my thirties, but my maturing age prohibits that now.
    BelgarathMTH
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    There was only one extended period of no games for me: the Mass Effect situation. Beyond that I play every day I can
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    I play video games quite often, but they take a back-seat to other hobbies which are more important to me.

Then there are times when I get bored of playing (this has gotten worse with the homogenization of video games) and take a break from them.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    "Binge Gamer" describes my habits perfectly.
    CrevsDaakbooinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
    CrevsDaak said:

I just only play BG, not many games are as good as it. Or at least I can't find them.

I don't even look.

CrevsDaakmeaglothbooinyoureyesJuliusBorisov

CrevsDaak said:

I don't even look.

I also don't, but because I've convinced that there is nothing as good as BG, then I found PS:T, and that changed me A LOT.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    CrevsDaak said:

CrevsDaak said:

I don't even look.

I also don't, but because I've convinced that there is nothing as good as BG, then I found PS:T, and that changed me A LOT.
    God I need to play PS:T
    CrevsDaakGod
    @meagloth you have to. Really. And not just because Destiny orders so.
    meaglothbooinyoureyesjackjack
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    I had been a hardcore gamer once upon an ugly time... NEVER again! Now i have other hobbies, of equal or greater importance, interest, and good effect on my life.
  • jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    I consider myself a hardcore gamer... who doesn't game all that much. Most of my time is spent planning parties, planning strategy, conceiving ideas on how to deal with monsters, preparing spreadsheets of game information, etc. LOL
    jackjackDemonoid_LimewireTeflonCrevsDaak
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    My gaming habits are like a roller coaster ride. Up down, up down, up down, up down!

I'm female, 21, and going to start looking for a second job soon... (while writing at home)
    jackjackDemonoid_LimewirelolienJuliusBorisov
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Since i have a family, i can't play hours and through the night until the sun rise. But if i get the time i play some.
    JuliusBorisovTeflonWilburbooinyoureyes
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    I knew it. This is forum of hardcore gamers.
    Whenever house is vacant I play game. It is a guilty pleasure.
    WilburlolienJuliusBorisov