Skip to content

The Journeys of Theodoric: Hero of the Sword Coast (Solo Cavalier Playthrough BG1Complete. On Break)

Comments

• ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    edited April 2014
    More! I promise I'll get back to Roisin soon. The whole "being lazy" thing is really a pain sometimes. But I will! I'll try to do an installment for her tomorrow. No promises, though, just because I don't like to make a promise and then break it. Anyway, this time we clear out the Cloakwood Mines!

Chapter 8: I Wasn't Kidding! Why's It Always Gotta Be Mines?!
    Theodoric began searching the various buildings surrounding the mines and found some paltry money, but he soon continued onward into the mines. The guards weren’t even threatening to him now, as he was shredding them with his blade before they could touch him. He entered the mines and searched a bit. He met with a miner near a giant plug, and learned that the place could be flooded, with the right key, which was held by the evil leader of this place. Apparently there was a dwarf who knew how the thing worked and he had shown the miner how to operate the plug. Theodoric continued to the next floor and dealt with more guards. As he traveled along one path, he triggered a missile trap. He decided he should check for other routes before walking through any more traps. He went down another hall and met with a guard, who surrendered immediately. Theodoric got some info from him before letting him flee. He then noticed something odd about the wall, and upon further examination, found it to be a secret door. When he entered, he found a very long hall before him, and within it were several ghasts. Fortunately, their weak blows held no threat to him, as he now held Spider’s Bane, which would protect him from their gripping magic. He found two more hidden doors connected to this hall, and he entered the first one he came to. Within was a mage, who he dealt with as best he could, despite the large army of guards at her behest. Because he got the jump on her, he was able to deal with her before she did any real damage, but he still had to fight his way through all twelve of the guards. Fortunately they were all inaccurate weaklings, so he barely suffered any injuries.

He then met with a sort of leader to the slaves, a man named Rill and the dwarf who’s clan once owned these mines. The dwarf’s name was Yeslick, and although he wished to join Theodoric, he refused, saying that the dwarf’s time would be better spent taking some gear from the dead bandits and protecting the fleeing slaves. Theodoric gave 100 gold to Rill to help him and the other slaves escape. Theodoric then went on to the next floor, where he was greeted by a group of hobgoblin and human guards. He dealt with them and continued to explore the area, finding various bits of gold and enchanted gear to sell, along with plenty of foes to kill. Notable among them was yet another female mage and an ogre mage. The female mage was easy, despite casting a confusion on Theodoric, since as soon as he saw her he used his greenstone amulet. She actually killed herself, with a poorly bouncing lightning bolt that killed both her and her hobgoblin ally. Theodoric suffered minor burns from the bolt of lightning but remained relatively unharmed. The ogre mage was even simpler, as two quick blows from Theodoric’s sword fell the monster. He then continued to search the area, finding little of value beyond what he had already discovered. He soon traveled to the next floor and there found a guard, who seemed to be guarding a dead end. Remembering the hidden doors for earlier, he looked around more closely, and found a secret wall, through which he found the rest of the area. He triggered several traps as he entered, but he shrugged them off. He noticed that two battle horrors had been summoned as well, seemingly by the traps.

Davaeorn introduced himself, and then died shortly thereafter, followed by the battle horrors. Davaeorn would have been exceedingly dangerous, were it not for Theodoric’s greenstone amulet, which he used to resist all the wizard’s spells. The battle horrors were of little threat to Theodoric, so he dealt with them after eliminating the true threat. After the entire journey through the mines, he had only lost 13 HP, with no healing. In another room he met with the man who appeared to be Davaeorn’s apprentice. He begged for his life, and Theodoric got the information out of him that he could, but he used a detect evil spell and learned that the apprentice was truly evil. Theodoric thought long and hard about whether to spare the apprentice’s life, but finally decided that rather than the guards, who could know little of what they were guarding, this apprentice was fully aware of his involvement with an evil organization and a dark wizard. He slew the apprentice, lest the evil he had been taught spread.

Theodoric then searched the area and looted what he could. When he was done he took a lift back up to the first level and spoke with the first miner, giving him the key, then fleeing as quickly as he could. The mine flooded and was destroyed. Outside he was greeted by one of the slaves who thanked him immensely. With that completed, Theodoric traveled to Thalantyr’s to identify and sell his loot, and then he traveled east to Beregost, to rest and recuperate. The treasure he had gained was useless to him, but he did increase his gold by roughly 30% off of it. Once in Beregost he went to the inn immediately. The following morning he awoke to find himself blessed with even more powers.

Post edited by Elrandir on
    JuliusBorisov
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Solid!
    You're having more fun with Theodoric than with Roisin? I wonder: has he been in any life-threatening situations yet?
    @Blackraven‌ It's more that I just can spit out an installment of Theodoric far faster. And... No, I don't really think so. XD Not since he gained max level. I don't think he's dropped past 100/120 HP for a while. He's got around 32 points of instantaneous healing, so even when I do take hits, the damage goes away quickly.
    Blackraven
    I understand.. the writing takes up quite a lot of time. And thanks for explaining. Theordoric kind of reminds me of Grynne. Though unlike him (Greenstone Amulet), she could be stopped by mind and movement affecting magic.
    edited April 2014
    Just a short chapter today. I'm tired and not really in the mood to play, but I figured I needed to put something out. Just a bit of exploration in the city, really.

Chapter 9: The Great City Explored
    Theodoric set out from Beregost, and traveled to Wyrm’s Crossing. He spoke with Scar and accepted his mission. He then entered the city and spoke to Elminster, before traveling around the city a bit, purchasing a new flail at the sorcerer’s shop and obtaining access to the thieves guild, just to pick up the tome of dexterity. From there he traveled all around the city, and finally to the northern part of Baldur’s gate, where he accepted Ramazith’s quest and then left, after rushing through the wizard’s tower and obtaining the tome of intelligence. Rushing through while ignoring the monsters might not have been an ideal choice, however, as they were quite troublesome on the way back down. Even then, Theodoric did not kill them all.

From there, he returned to the eastern section of the city and had the tome identified. Afterwards, he rushed over to the northwestern section of the city, where he gave Nester’s dagger back to his friend Quinn. From there he returned to the north section of the city and dealt with the Jardak and his butler, securing the wonderful Helm of Glory for himself.

With his new helmet, he decided he needed more fine equipment. Namely a cape. He was tired of the headaches his own blurred appearance caused. He decided to head to an inn near the entrance to the city to rest and see if he could get any information. Before he stopped at the inn he identified and sold some gear.

Charname selfie to show off the permanent stat upgrades.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    Messy situation in R's tower :p Though obviously no threat to Theodoric.
    Yeah, he only had to kill a couple ghouls to flee down the stairs. I think he nearly got below 100 health, though, so for him that was a messy situation. =p
    Blackraven
    lol
    CrevsDaak
    edited April 2014
    I was much more in the mood to play tonight. So we've got a good long installment. I'm afraid I forgot to take many pictures, but I did take a ton for one specific battle.

Chapter 10: The Hunt for Balduran and the Poisonous Assassin
    In the morning Theodoric traveled north, to the northwestern section of the city. He met and spoke with Marek, and then met with Lothander, who told him of the poison. He met with the diviner, paid him 50 gold, then went to the house of Umberlee. There he paid 100 gold to speak with the high priestess, then immediately went to the temple of Tymora. He begged for the tome to save his life, and the priestess believed him. Before he could return to the house of Umberlee, he met with Varci and his master, and learned of the priestesses of Umberlee killing a child. Filled with rage, he returned to the temple of Umberlee and slaughtered all who were there, finding the geas removal scroll, along with the body of the boy. He took the scroll to Lothander and then went to the blushing mermaid. Here Theodoric had his hardest fight of the game so far. Larze the ogre wounded Theodoric greatly, (79\120HP) but he healed his wounds and then went upstairs. There he found and killed Marek, despite being confused by the assassin. Fortunately even in his confusion he was able to kill Marek, and then went into a corner to keep himself from attacking others. Having killed Marek, he gained the cure to the poison, and was freed from the shadow of the clock looming over him. Once he had done this, he traveled back to the priest’s house, and returned the corpse of his dead son.

The man raised his son and then Varci rewarded Theodoric with a shield. It was an excellent shield, but Theodoric was not entirely sure he needed it, as he so often stuck to his claymore. He was also able to keep the tome of Wisdom, though he tried to give it back to the priest at the temple. (I actually did) After this series of exciting events, he returned to the Elfsong Tavern and slept the eve away. He awoke the next morning and went to Sorcerous Sundries to sell his loot, before continuing to search for a magical cloak. He met with Degrodel (after fighting his guardians, who were surprisingly not much of a threat) and accepted the quest.

He then went and freed the statues, got the note from their leader, and went to get the helmet. He found the helmet, but no cloak! With the helmet in hand he returned to Degrodel, slew him to keep the helmet, and then traveled to the blushing mermaid, from which he traveled into the undercellar. There he met Quenash and described Vail, the leader of the petrified adventurers. She handed the cloak over and he went to have the two items identified. He quickly decided to abandon the recently obtained Helm of Glory in exchange for the mighty Helm of Balduran. He also traded in his cloak of displacement in favor of the Cloak of Balduran. Nicely kitted out, he decided he would head to deal with Scar’s request after a nap at the inn.
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaakBlackraven
    edited April 2014
    Because I screwed up, the inventory picture failed to appear in chapter 10. So here it is! *sighs*

CrevsDaak
    If you want some mild amusement, I've added chapter names to all my installments. Some are funnier than others, and they might only amuse me, but I quite liked what I came up with, for the most part.
    JuliusBorisovBlackraven
    Elrandir said:

If you want some mild amusement, I've added chapter names to all my installments. Some are funnier than others, and they might only amuse me, but I quite liked what I came up with, for the most part.

Why's it always gotta be mines ;)
    Elrandir
    edited April 2014
    This is just a short installment I feel like putting up before doing a longer session tonight. We're just finishing up the last quest I know of that will provide me with useful gear. If you think I've missed anything, let me know! I only know of one more non-disposable item, and we have to wait to get that anyway. I put the wrong images in this one, so I'll post them in another comment.

Chapter 10.5: Creepy Old Men and Frolicking Naked Nymphs.
    Theodoric, rested and well equipped, decided to do as Razamith had asked, and rescue the nymph. He traveled to Ragefast’s abode and spoke with him, telling him to free the nymph. He was finally made to see reason and let the nymph go. Theodoric then returned to Razamith to tell him that he was unable to complete the job. Razamith, however, was not appreciative of this, and Theodoric again rushed through the tower to defeat Razamith at the top. One more dead hobgoblin, and a single swing that ended the wicked wizard’s life, and Theodoric left the tower, his pockets full of nice trinkets. He returned to Sorcerous Sundries, where he learned that for a very small sum he could have the nymph’s hair that he was gifted made into a magical cloak. He doubted it would be better than the Balduran’s, but the sum was so small that he thought it would not be a waste. He was correct in his assumption, as the cloak was quite useful, though not in combat. When Theodoric wore it, he would become even more articulate, persuasive, and likable. He stored the cloak in his pack, in case he needed to purchase or sell things. Surprisingly, this had all taken quite some time, and the sky was beginning to darken when he left Sorcerous Sundries, so he decided to head back to the Elfsong Tavern and have a good long rest.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited April 2014
    Here are the images that were SUPPOSED to be in the last installment... *mutters* Stupid computer...

Razamith's death: image

Inventory shot: image
    First, I see you're using Spiders' Bane and Boots of Speed, I take it the Free Action nullifies the speed effect of your boots, yes? If so, then you might be better off using the boots of avoidance for further protection against missile attacks or the boots of grounding to rotect you against electricity damage. If the speed effect from the boots of speed is not cancelled by Spiders' Bane then by all means keep them boots on. :)
    Second, there are better rings IMO than the ring of infravision. There are two charged rings (invisibility, energy), but maybe you've got those in your gem bag. Below Candlekeep you'll find another nice ring, which may have been the item you were referring in your previous post.
    @Blackraven‌ Spider's Bane only protects from the negative movement effects. Haste still works. It's why it's such an excellent weapon.

As for rings, you're absolutely right, but I don't care that much. Rings and amulets are largely useless for anything other than protection in BG1. Greenstone amulet is the only "necessary" amulet, and even that isn't a requisite. The infravision ring is quite useless, but it's RP use is nice, and Theodoric could probably wipe the floor with most anything in BG1 with just his armor and sword. =p In BG2 I'll be more thoughtful with rings, but for now, Theodoric's strategy is kind of just "RAGH! SMASH!"

As for the final item, I'm talking about his third weapon. *makes a throwing motion* ;p
    Blackraven
    Wow Spider's Bane is great! I wonder is this is EE only. Will have to see...
    I agree with you on rings, none are essential to your pally.
    And yep, that's a great weapon...
    Am looking forward to see you finishing off Sarevok and wreak havoc against evil in Amn.
    Nope. Vanilla too. (I believe)
    I think that weapon will have a +5 or 6 to hit on top of it's +2 enchantment. XD +3 from STR and +2 or 3 from DEX. Throwing knives and axes are both so OP for really powerful warriors...
    Blackravenlolien
    Both are amazing weapons for Theodoric or any strong warrior.
    He always makes me think of Grynne whom I would build in a similar way (except for item restrictions of course).
    Elrandir
    edited April 2014
    Now that we're all geared up, it's time to go! I start to get kind of role-play-esque halfway through this one, but hopefully it isn't too strange sounding.

Chapter 11: Merchants. Always Two Faced
    Theodoric set out the next day, having wasted enough time in the city. He traveled directly to the Seven Suns and after speaking with one of the merchants he learned of the shapeshifters. He went and spoke with Scar immediately, who requested he kill them all. Theodoric returned, killed them, and rescued Jhasso. He returned to Scar, who thanked him profusely and offered a second job, this time to find out what was causing, and deal with, disappearances in the city. Scar said that most of the disappearances had occurred in the eastern part of the city, so Theodoric went there first. Knowing that creatures often dwelt in the sewers of large cities, Theodoric traveled down into them. He was fortunate to find exactly what he was looking for at the bottom of the ladder. An ogre mage and three carrion crawlers were responsible for the disappearances.

After looting the corpse, Theodoric returned to Scar, who was very appreciative of the work. He paid Theodoric quite well for the work, and then said he had some paperwork to attend to. He said that if Theodoric returned later he would be available to talk about the Iron Throne. It was getting late, so Theodoric bid Scar good evening, but he stayed in this section of town. Before he left the Headquarters, he gave an angel skin ring to a Flaming Fist Officer so he could marry his girlfriend. Theodoric had the ring on hand, and he felt that a small quantity of gold was worth less to him than the knowledge that he had helped a couple become wedded. He found a weapon store where he sold the ogre mage’s enchanted scimitar, before going to the inn next door to the Flaming Fist Headquarters. Unfortunately, green slimes had come up from the cellar and were killing the innocent customers. The Barkeep collapsed to the ground as Theodoric drew his sword and slew the slimes one by one. Unfortunately he was too late to save most of the inn’s patrons. One of them was saved, however, and he thanked Theodoric profusely. After Theodoric made sure the premises were clear of slimes, he traveled to the other inn in this section of town and slept there.

He awoke at noon the next day, and when he realized how long he had slept, he leapt from bed and rushed over to the FFH. Scar was waiting for him, and Theodoric apologized for his lateness. Scar said it was of no consequence. He asked Theodoric if he would accompany him to speak with the Grand Duke Eltan. Theodoric accepted and met with the Duke, who gave him a mission to find proof of the Iron Throne’s guilt in the Iron Crisis. Theodoric accepted the mission and traveled to the Iron Throne Headquarters immediately.

Once within, he spoke to Triadore and then the guards. He managed to bluff his way through the first two levels peacefully, but a lack of knowledge about Cormyr forced him into a battle. Once the guards had been dealt with, he spoke with Emissary Tar, but was unable to convince her to stay where she was safe. She went upstairs, and Theodoric followed after searching the corpses of the guards. At the next floor he met and spoke with a short man who mistook him for Emissary Tar. Theodoric hoped Emissary Tar had simply gotten lost somehow, and had not simply skipped speaking with this man. Theodoric lied to the short man and then rushed for the stairs, heading up to the next floor as fast as he could. What occurred next was a massive battle. Theodoric only lost roughly 20 HP during it, but that was partly due to a well-timed use of the greenstone amulet. It saved him from more spells than he could count. So much magic was flying around that Theodoric merely charged at the closest caster and didn’t stop swinging till everything around him was dead.

Afterwards he cleaned the corpses of their loot and looked for evidence to incriminate the Iron Throne. Instead what he found was a man who begged for his life. As he had done with Davaeorn’s apprentice, he cast detect evil, and found the man to be evil. He learned what he needed from him and then slew him, despite the man’s pleas for mercy. Having gained all he could, Theodoric left the Iron Throne building, sold some items to Sorcerous Sundries, and then returned to Duke Eltan. Duke Eltan was pleased with his work, but obviously needed evidence. He gave Theodoric the book and sent him off to Candlekeep. Theodoric decided that if he was to return home, he might allow someone else to come home with him...
    BlackravenJuliusBorisov
    I do quite a bit more in-depth role-play-esque style writing in this installment. We're getting to some heavy story driven parts, and it just feels weird to not write more than the short journal. I also totally forgot pictures, save for one very important one. ;)

Chapter 12: Old Friends, Old Faces, Old Places. (Also known as There and Back Again) (Also known as Going Home, But Not Alone) In case you couldn’t guess, I had a lot of ideas for the name of this one.
    Theodoric traveled from Baldur’s Gate to Beregost, hoping Imoen was still in town. He searched around for her for quite a while, but finally found her lurking in the shadows next to the smith. He was surprised to see she was quite well equipped, and it appeared she had been busy honing her skills since he left her there. (I mean, I TOTALLY did NOT go grind ankhegs once I picked her back up… >.>) He asked if she longed to return to Candlekeep, to which she said she’d like to return there. What she neglected to tell him, however, was that she was merely interested in visiting. She had grown fond of life outside of the library’s walls, and though she longed to visit Winthrop again, she had no interest in living there again. But Theodoric was unaware of this, and so the two traveled to Candlekeep.

The gatekeeper expressed his pleasure at seeing Theodoric and Imoen return. Once inside, they traveled around, speaking with all their old friends. Something was noticeably amiss, though, and several of their friends said as much. They rested for an eve at Winthrop’s inn and then continued to look around the town the next day. The fact that things were wrong in Candlekeep was made very apparent when they found a doppleganger in the priest’s quarters, which attacked them.

Realizing the gravity of the situation, Theodoric rushed over to the library. He told Imoen to stay at the inn, since now she was back home where she belonged, to which Imoen responded that there was no way she wasn’t coming with him! Aggravated, but worried that he had no time to argue, Theodoric ignored her and ran for the library. Once inside he began searching the library more quietly, but he still did so noticeably rushed. Karan approached him and they spoke about strange occurrences in Candlekeep, to which Karan mentioned a “Koveras” fellow. Something in Theodoric stirred, and he felt a definite discomfort in his chest. He told Karan to go somewhere safe, for things were occurring that could threaten the lives of everyone in town.

Theodoric and Imoen went up to the next floor and were met by Bendalis, who reaffirmed that things were strange here. He mentioned young Shistal, who had been one of the most easily spooked monks, as being strangely thick-skinned recently. He bid Theodoric good day and walked away. As Theodoric watched him go, a deeply tan-skinned man approached, and Theodoric felt his stomach twist into a knot. The man introduced himself as Koveras, and he said he was a messenger for Gorion and the harpers. He had a ring for Theodoric that was supposedly from Gorion. Sensing something was seriously amiss about this man, Theodoric questioned Koveras about Gorion’s fate, to which Koveras gave far too much information, considering he should have been nowhere near at the time… Theodoric asked him this, and Koveras said that if he was so obviously lacking in trust, then Koveras was surprised he had made it so far. He then left, without giving the ring to Theodoric, but Theodoric wasn’t sure he even wanted it. Theodoric then went and spoke with one of the chanters, who when asked about secret places within the keep, told him about Alaundo’s tomb deep in the bowels of the keep.

On the next floor Theodoric and Imoen came face to face with the leaders of the Iron Throne. Theodoric said exactly who he was, and both parties agreed that once both groups had left Candlekeep, they would settle their affairs. On the next floor, Theodoric saw Shistal. Remembering Bendalis’ words he spoke with him, pestering him consistently till he gave in and revealed himself. After killing the fake Shistal he spoke to a priest and asked him to get the watchers. Theodoric and Imoen the went up to the next floor where Piato approached them, telling Theodoric that Gorion had left a note behind for him. Theodoric found the note and was shocked by the contents. He set aside his confusion, however, realizing that the importance of speaking with Ulraunt was paramount.

He and Imoen rushed upstairs, only to find themselves accosted by a guard, saying they had killed the leaders of the Iron Throne! They were imprisoned for three days. Their only visitor was Ulraunt, who convicted them. Over their time left imprisoned, Imoen and Theodoric realized that they had been set up, but the blind old fool Ulraunt would not believe them. Apparently a certain Koveras had seen them fleeing the scene of the crime. Late on the third night, Tethtoril came in. He spoke to them quietly and handed them their gear. He explained that he believed they were innocent, and he was going to teleport them to the catacombs beneath Candlekeep. Theodoric thanked him for his help and asked him if he knew of a Koveras. Tethtoril said he did not, but Koveras was Sarevok spelled backwards. Theodoric’s eyes grew wide, and he grit his teeth. If only he had seen the name Koveras in print, he thought to himself… Once Imoen and he were ready, Tethtoril wished them luck and teleported them into the catacombs...

BlackravenJuliusBorisov
    In this chapter, we get basically every single item we have left to get! Also, we become an absolute monster when it comes to strength...

Chapter 13: So What Will I Fight In Here, Zubats?
    Theodoric and Imoen, wasting no time, traveled into the catacombs, eager to get out of the place. They dealt with the Phlydia doppelganger and began searching the area. (OoC: I’m really glad I brought Imoen. The whole reason I did was in case I couldn’t force the lock on the tomb that held the STR tome. I tried forcing it before I let Imoen pick it and yup, Theodoric failed to force it. It’s not hard to role-play her being here, but it was completely based on a meta-gaming decision. Theodoric doesn’t NEED 19 STR, but it sure does make him tougher. As for the WIS tome, the extra wisdom is relatively pointless, but I like having it.)

They finally found the exit and left the catacombs, but not before meeting several of Candlekeep’s residents, all of whom were doppelgangers. They did meet with the real Arkanis and Deder, however, and they joined with them till they escaped. Theodoric would have told them to flee, but before he could say so, Imoen had asked them to join. Theodoric was displeased by this, but what was done was done. Theodoric was enraged, however, by a doppelganger disguising himself as Gorion. Theodoric personally slew this one, gutting it without hesitation, furious that they would use his dear foster father’s image to try and trick him. When they approached the exit to the Candlekeep Caves, Arkanis and Deder bid them farewell, saying they needed to bear witness to this nightmare. Theodoric wished them well, and debated mentally whether to leave Imoen with them. He decided that it was still too dangerous for her to be down here, and with her being considered party to the murder of the Iron Throne’s leaders, she could no longer stay in Candlekeep. They continued into the caves, but as they were walking through, Imoen began looking at a ring they had found in the catacombs. She let out an excited gasp and nudged Theodoric. He glanced at her in confusion and she explained to him that the ring was a ring of fire resistance. He thanked her, pleased to learn it’s effects, and put it on in place of his infravision ring, which he gave to her, saying she might find it more useful than he. Her eyes glittered as she thought of how convenient such a thing would be when sneaking in the darkness and Theodoric mentally groaned, realizing he had just aided her in being an even more capable thief. He sighed and the two continued on into the caves. Just a few steps into the caves, Theodoric and Imoen encountered four of Sarevok’s associates. Theodoric didn’t hesitate to dive into combat, slaying the mages first, followed by the other two.

He looted several items from them, but the one that most interested him was a magical throwing axe. The two continued through the caves, but stopped near one cave where they heard strange noises. Theodoric thought he recognized the sounds, but he was unsure, so he told Imoen to scout things out. She hid in the shadows and moved forward, disappearing into a side path. She returned a few moments later, saying she had found two greater basilisks. Theodoric groaned before asking if there were any way to avoid them. She responded that the only exit seemed to lie beyond these creatures. Suddenly Theodoric’s eyes brightened, and he reached into his pack, digging out a greenish white potion in a clear bottle. Imoen asked what it was, to which Theodoric replied that it was exactly what he needed to win the fight. He gulped it down, and Imoen gasped as his eyes became like mirrors, reflecting a perfect image of herself back at her. She looked a little closer and then began tidying her hair a bit. He shoved her lightly, grinning at her silliness, and told her that they didn’t have time for games, as the effect wouldn’t last long. Theodoric charged into the next room, practically leaping at the basilisk, sword held high. The battle was a short one, as deprived of their deadly gaze the creatures were no match for a mighty cavalier.

Continuing through the cave, Imoen and Theodoric came upon another man. This time, the man was waiting for someone named Prat, which Theodoric thought was the name of the leader of the group he had met earlier in the caves. Thinking he could get some information from the man, Theodoric said that he was indeed Prat, before asking where they were supposed to meet with Sarevok. The man said that they were supposed to meet at the Iron Throne Headquarters. Theodoric nodded, and then said that he was going to kill the man. The man, surprisingly unfazed, dashed away. Even with his boots of speed, Theodoric couldn’t catch up with the man, however. The cave’s halls were too winding for Theodoric to run as fast as he wished, and the man evaded him. He cursed under his breath and waited for Imoen to catch up. Once she had caught up, the two of them left together, and they found themselves outside of Candlekeep’s walls.

The two of them decided to head down south to Nashkel by the back roads, as it was property of Amn, and therefore they would be safe from any Flaming Fist members who might try to arrest them. Once there, they traveled to the store and inn, and identified and sold their goods. They talked about their future plans, and Imoen insisted he take her with him. Finally he gave in and said she could come with him. Pleased with herself, Imoen went to bed, and Theodoric did as well. After only a few hours of rest, however, he arose and left in the night, believing that he needed to leave her behind. He knew at the very least he could count on her being safe in Nashkel, since it was Amnish territory and he knew she would not being able to overtake him in the night, as he was far faster with his boots of speed. He had also managed to leave her out of most of the important conversations so he knew she knew too little to try and hunt him down. Before leaving, however, he left his Nymph’s Cloak with her pack, so her natural charm would be made even greater. He hoped she could use it and her natural charm to make an honest living. Perhaps as a trader, he thought.

Comforted in the knowledge that she would be safe, he left town and traveled to Thalantyr’s, to purchase several potions for the final confrontation, namely a potion of magic blocking, two potions of regeneration, and all the elixirs of health that Thalantyr had for sale. (3) Afterwards, he left Thalantyr’s, and traveled to the Friendly Arm Inn. He decided to rest there before traveling into Baldur’s Gate itself.

Charname selfie and three inventory pics, showing off my three final weapons.

JuliusBorisov
    Cool, and yes, Roisin is lagging behind a bit...
    Elrandir
    Steady as always. As to the tome of STR, @Bengoshi failed to bash the lock with gauntlets of Ogre Giant STR + Draw upon Holy Might, so I think Imoen was indispensable.
    Did you go to Durlag's tower already? If not you could at least pick up the Tome of WIS.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited April 2014
    @Blackraven‌ I totally forgot about DuHM, I could've tried that. XD As for Durlag's Tower, remember how you were amused by the "killed two battle horrors" thing? He stopped by D'sT ages ago and picked that up. =p
    Aah you're right.... So Thodoric's all set for the endgame. Will you take him into SoA?
    @Blackraven‌ Of course! It might not be immediate, though. I'll definitely try and slow his progress down once he beats BG1. I need to work on Roisin more. You can expect him to go all the way for sure, though. =)
    Blackraven
    edited April 2014
    Yet more fun! This is the second to last chapter of “season one” of Theodoric’s journeys. There's also a lot of photos in this one. Twelve, to be exact. Also, I’m having a lot of fun with naming these chapters. Last chapter was a Pokemon reference, and this one is an obscure Power Rangers one! XD

Chapter 14: Countdown To Destruction
    Theodoric traveled to Baldur’s gate, met and spoke with Tamoko and Delthyr, and then traveled to the Flaming Fist Headquarters. After hearing what Tamoko has to say, and agreeing to try and spare Sarevok’s life, Theodoric traveled into the FFH, intent on saving Duke Eltan. The mercenaries within were of NO threat to Theodoric, and he did not suffer any injury while dealing with them. (They hit him with multiple glyphs of warding and failed to hurt him, yet managed to kill about half their own team. Theodoric chunked the rest)

Theodoric went upstairs and spoke with Kent before killing the greater doppelganger, who managed to nick Theodoric. He took the Duke to the harbormaster and then went to the Iron Throne Headquarters next.

He traveled through, intent on getting to the top and dealing with Cynthia as quickly as possible. He was forced to slay Gregor, though he doubted the man was a good person. Cythandria fell quickly, not even having time to beg for her life. (Theodoric is really good at killing people too quickly to hear their surrender dialogue.) After obtaining all the items he needed to from Cythandria’s corpse, he traveled out of the ITH and into the sewers.

After an unplanned run-in with a kobold called Ratchild, Theodoric found the entrance to the undercellars and proceeded into them. Theodoric lured Slythe away from Krystin and dueled him. Slythe was quite impressive in that he survived three blows from Theodoric, but the fourth 20+ blow finally finished him.

Krystin proved equally as hardy, dying to the fourth blow as well. Unfortunately for the pair, their sturdy frames were all they had going for them, and neither of them managed to hurt Theodoric.

With the letters Slythe was carrying, Theodoric traveled to the Duchal Palace. Travel in Baldur’s Gate had been exceptionally troublesome, what with all the Flaming Fist Mercenaries trying to stop him, but with some impressive jukes and the exceptional speed from the Paws of the Cheetah, Theodoric managed to avoid them.

In the battle at the Duchal Palace, Theodoric failed to save Grand Duke Liia, but by using his two uses of Cure Light Wounds, he managed to keep Belt alive. (It was far closer than I would like to think about, however. I’m sure I COULD have saved Liia, but I’m just happy one of them survived.)

Belt teleported Theodoric, and then Theodoric DEFINITELY did NOT go and waste time returning to the palace to loot, selling his loot, recharging his amulets, and resting at an inn to heal\recharge spells\gain his final bhaalspawn power. No way. >.>

ANYWAY. Ready to go, Theodoric headed into the Thieve’s Maze. He navigated it as best he could, ignoring the traps despite the pain they inflicted. He met and spoke with Winski Perorate, but spared his life. From there he traveled into the Undercity. The battle with Rahvin and Co. was an ugly mess, and I f-ed up pretty bad on it. I used the Greenstone Amulet and then the One Gift Lost five times, managing to kill at least one of the mages and wound Rahvin and the other mage. Meanwhile, the ogre and the Haseo were dishing out some serious damage. Theodoric had to retreat and heal a bit before slaughtering the ogre, who was the only one who had followed. He then killed Haseo and Rahvin before hunting down the mage, along with another archer that had been hidden in the fog of war with the mages. They fell quickly, and Theodoric slept for a whole day to heal, totally not afraid of the horrible things all around him.

Theodoric then met and convinced Tamoko not to throw her life away.

He also picked up the magma bulwark because “Oooh! Shiny!” (Honestly, if they had made this suit of armor SLIGHTLY better, I would adore it. It really does look awesome, and it’s as good as Ankheg for the most part, but it’s modifiers are still slightly worse, not to mention how late in the game it comes…)

One final rest, and Theodoric was ready for the final battle…
    BlackravenJuliusBorisov
    Hey Theodoric's health during the Undercity Battle to you must have felt like what to me is 'near death' status? :p Best of luck against the big S!
    ElrandirJuliusBorisov
    Pretty much! I was worried he'd die! The first "real" death of the game. (because 1-hit kills don't count. Sorry basilisks)
    BlackravenJuliusBorisov