Skip to content

The Journeys of Theodoric: Hero of the Sword Coast (Solo Cavalier Playthrough BG1Complete. On Break)

13»

Comments

• ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    edited April 2014
    What is there to say? It’s the final battle! Onward, to victory! A like for anyone who can guess the reference in this installment’s title!

Pre-final Battle CHARNAME Selfie

Chapter 15: Duel of the Fates
    Theodoric drew his sword, took a deep breath, activated his various scrolls, potions, and spells of protection and fortification, and then charged in. After some dialogue with Sarevok, the battle began.

(Theodoric had used a protection from fire, cold, acid, and magic scroll, along with a potion of cloud giant strength, regeneration, magic protection, absorption and haste, as well as DuHM. Most of the effects would last long past the battle, so his biggest concern was just surviving. While he was pre-buffing, a bat or bats had triggered traps, which created an annoying lag-causing cloud of smoke and webs to appear. Fortunately, Theodoric had already used the scroll of magic protection, so the traps failed to affect him. Once he was fully buffed, with 15(!) different icons on his portrait, he charged in)

The first time I fought the battle, I tried to go in heroically, fighting them all at once. That was a horrible waste of time, and I died. The second time I fought him, however, I lured away the blasted mage Semaj, slaughtered him, and then lured Sarevok over. Tazok eventually came with him, and I believe I was at half health when the battle ended, but I won. Sarevok lay dead, and with Tazok dying rapidly to Theodoric's mighty swings, I know I could have succeeded at killing them all. The battle was won. Sarevok lay dead, and his companions fell soon after. Theodoric left a champion, though he was gravely wounded. He returned to the surface, ready to face whatever evils would next pose their ugly heads at him.

Epilogue: Theodoric was awarded richly by Duke Eltan and Duke Belt for saving Baldur’s Gate, not only from evil within, but also from the war with Amn. Theodoric took what he needed from the wealth and distributed the rest to the poor. He was also offered Scar’s position within the Flaming Fist, but he turned it down, saying that his place was out in the world, hunting down evil wherever it might be. He spent some time in Baldur’s Gate before returning to adventure across the land. Wherever he went, he was either lauded or reviled as a hero, but it was always as a hero that he was seen. He was a champion of justice, and no one could deny that he was a mighty warrior. He spent several months hunting down the remains of the bandit groups that he had destroyed, and he also spent a short time traveling with others, namely a pair of harpers named Khalid and Jaheira. Theodoric saw them as inexperienced, despite their age being greater than his, but he worked with them regardless to quell several threats they had been sent to deal with. He also fought alongside a ranger and his mage companion, who were working to save a village from an invasion by kobolds. Hardly an epic battle, but justice is not always found in great battles. After nearly a year of traveling across the lands, smiting evil where it would be found, he was resting in Gullykin, when a messenger arrived, saying he was needed immediately. A great siege was taking place at Baldur’s Gate, and Theodoric’s help was needed. Theodoric rushed there, not even stopping to think who could be sieging the city. When he arrived he saw no great siege, nor did he see the large war hammer that found it’s way into the back of his skull, knocking him unconscious…
    GoturalSionIVCrevsDaak
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Hey awesome, even on vanilla Sarevok isn't necessarily easy to take on in melee... I also liked how you referenced Theodoric's future fellow inmates :)
    PS Star Wars?
    ElrandirCrevsDaak
    I more think it was Tazok and Angelo that were dealing the serious ouchies.
    Of course! I have to tie things together to make sense somehow!
    A like for you, friend, you've won the prize! =p
    Blackraven
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    What an epic final battle, great playthrough ! Hope to see more of Theodoric in Amn ;)
    CrevsDaakElrandir
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Well done!
    Elrandir
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

PS Star Wars?

Obi-Wan Kenobi (and Qui-Gon Jinn) vs Darth Maul battle's song. It's my favorite SW song.
    Elrandir
  • AurorusAurorus Member Posts: 201
    Nice... Congratulations. I think this battle is harder in vanilla than with SCS.
    Elrandir
    @Aurorus‌ Why do you say that? I don't have any experience with SCS, (besides reading other's challenge play-throughs) so I wouldn't know what's different.
  • AurorusAurorus Member Posts: 201
    I have only fought it once with SCS, but the scripting for the enemy broke down badly. The battle was kind of a joke. The only person in the party to take damage was Khalid and only because he went out to give Tazok a sporting chance and keep him in range of archery fire. I think a lot of it had to do with the teleport field that I set up. The party just sat in it and Tazok and Angelo just walked around outside it getting killed by a tremendous volley of arrows from Khalid, my archer, and Imoen.

Whatever the case may be, Semaj´s scripting in SCS is just bad. In vanilla, he is a bear, throwing out major AoE spells and generally causing havoc. In SCS, he runs away every time his invisbility is dispelled and will spend too much time casting protective spells if you spell-thrust him or anything of the sort. He seems to have too many spell slots devoted to protections and very few to dangerous offensive spells.
    Elrandir