Skip to content

Marek and Lothander Quest Bug. Am I doomed?

>got approached by Lothander and was told I was poisoned
>talked to the Diviner and he told me to see the High Priestess of Umberlee
>talked to High Priestess of Umberlee and she told me she needed a Book of Wisdom
>talked to priest in Temple of Tymora and got Book of Wisdom
>instead of giving the Priest of Umberlee the book in exchange for the Geas removal scroll, I told her I didn't trust her, and she gave me the scroll and asked me again for the book. I lied and told her I didn't have the book and she said "how dare you show such impudence" and turned hostile, so I killed her.
>brought geas removal scroll to Lothander, he gave me antidote and I got 1500 exp
>talked to Marek and he immediately turned hostile with no dialogue options. I killed him, and only received 650 exp. I did not receive 10,000 exp for curing the poison, nor did I receive a notification that my poison was cured.
>I die after 10 days even after doing all of that

halp

Comments

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    thesoloer said:

>talked to Marek and he immediately turned hostile with no dialogue options. I killed him, and only received 650 exp. I did not receive 10,000 exp for curing the poison, nor did I receive a notification that my poison was cured.

What did he say when you talked to him? Or was he hostile as soon as you entered the room?

IIRC, the curing should happen automatically once you pick up one of the bottles that Marek drops when he is killed.

BTW, you didn't drink the bottle that Lothander gave you, right? You need to keep it in your inventory, and it gets automatically combined with one of Marek's bottles and then drank automatically.
  • thesoloerthesoloer Member Posts: 77
    A strange thing happened. I talked to Lothander and got the 1500 exp, then I talked to Marek and immediately after I clicked "End Dialogue" I got the 10,000 exp and the message that the poison was cured, before I even killed Marek. Is this what is supposed to happen? I'm playing vanilla BG1 btw.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    In BG:EE you are cured when you pick up the potion. Did you loot his corpse when you killed him?
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    We're *all* doomed.

(Sorry, I had to)

I seem to remember having to have every party member drink the potion, did the ee change that or has it always been this way?
  • HagridoreHagridore Member Posts: 4
    I've got another problem. Marek's not at the Blushing Mermaid. What can I do now, short of putting him there using NearInfinity?
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Use the console and enter "CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("MarekMove","GLOBAL");". The value should be a 1 but if it isn't then you can use SetGlobal to force the value to 1.

You did mean upstairs at the Blushing Mermaid, right? Marek won't show up on the ground floor.

Marek isn't dead, is he? If he is, then C:CreateItem("potn47"); and you will have what you need...as long as you go upstairs.

Even after all these years, the Marek/Lothander quest still causes people lots of problems.
    Unfortunatnly for us to fix it we will need a test case that can reproduce the issue. Which version of the game are you using? Could you upload a save showing that he isn't there?
  • chriseld182chriseld182 Member Posts: 3
    Someone please help! I'm playing enhanced edition and... well, I killed the priestesses of umberlee to get the body of the boy back. Now when I go there to get the scroll the place is empty. Ive searched and oddly enough I haven't seen anyone with this problem, and I feel like it's a pretty easy trap to fall into. Anyone know what to do? Is my file doomed??
  • KemoKemo Member Posts: 1
    Just go back to Water Queen's house and the scroll will be right there on the floor.
    edited May 2016

Someone please help! I'm playing enhanced edition and... well, I killed the priestesses of umberlee to get the body of the boy back. Now when I go there to get the scroll the place is empty. Ive searched and oddly enough I haven't seen anyone with this problem, and I feel like it's a pretty easy trap to fall into. Anyone know what to do? Is my file doomed??

Just return to Lothander - he may be understanding of the situation.
  • ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    the bug is in Beamdogs code... there is a chance Marek will not drop the 10 potion bottles.

p.s, the fix is to replay the battle until he does.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    All I know is that if I had the quest bug out on me, I'd just take it as a challenge to speedrun the rest of the game in ten days or less. I'd have to skip the Isle of Balduran and possibly Durlag's Tower, but oh well.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    ussnorway said:

the bug is in Beamdogs code... there is a chance Marek will not drop the 10 potion bottles.

p.s, the fix is to replay the battle until he does.

Can you attach a save file from when you experienced this bug? I remember looking into this before and not encountering the problem.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited October 2016
    thesoloer said:

We're all doomed
    Our quest is vain
    Onward, to futility
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    ajwz said:

thesoloer said:

We're all doomed
    Our quest is vain
    Onward, to futility
    Hush, Xan, and eat a Snickers.
  • alasdair19alasdair19 Member Posts: 1
    I have a diff bug. I completed the body retrieval quest before meeting lothander. Been to see the diviner but there are only junior priests in the temple who do not offer to fetch the boss I need.

Going back to lothander doesn't help any suggestions?
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    I haven't done this quest for years.
    The chances of it going wrong are large and if you kill the two of them the moment you get to Baldurs Gate, Boots of Speed and a really good bow.
    What's not to like?

XP?
    I bite my thumb at your XP as I speed away shooting over my shoulder, Pah.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    edited February 2017
    I pickpocketed that priest way way way before I got the quest once and was like sweet +1 wis (wasnt even a cleric so I didnt even need) and all the umberlee witchies had turned hostile because of some mischief I did earlier (dont remember what) and when I got poisoned I was like "**** forgot about that quest!"

I consoled in the book and dominated the greeter witch... but was disturbed by the other witches (they pace about their rafthouse like hamsters) so I had to turn invisible, wait in a corner for the witchies to come close, crack some skulls, dominate the greeter witch again, pay fifty gold for donations to lure out the head witch and FINALLY get my geas scroll. Good times!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    You can pickpocket the geas scroll as well though.
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    Or just use EEkeeper to get the antidote
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    The most sophisticated yet elegant solution is always the best, regardless of the alternatives, and regardless whether the solution chosen have the objectively best outcome.

Chaotic neutral.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Does he still drop the potion if you Wand of Frost Marek to death? I know I've missed out on Daeveorn's loot because I froze and shattered him.
  • gorris75gorris75 Member Posts: 60
    The geas quest from Lothander -ten potions: I killed Marek and he dropped the ten potions of antidote.
    Just to be clear: does everyone in my party have to drink the potion or just my main guy? else why get ten potions?
    The walkthroughs are not clear on this point.
    So..a little clarification is appreciated. thanks.Gorris
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    gorris75 said:

The geas quest from Lothander -ten potions: I killed Marek and he dropped the ten potions of antidote.
    Just to be clear: does everyone in my party have to drink the potion or just my main guy? else why get ten potions?
    The walkthroughs are not clear on this point.
    So..a little clarification is appreciated. thanks.Gorris

It's actually one potion with 10 charges. Only one has to drink it.
  • who_is_danielwho_is_daniel Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 98

Use the console and enter "CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("MarekMove","GLOBAL");". The value should be a 1 but if it isn't then you can use SetGlobal to force the value to 1.

You did mean upstairs at the Blushing Mermaid, right? Marek won't show up on the ground floor.

Marek isn't dead, is he? If he is, then C:CreateItem("potn47"); and you will have what you need...as long as you go upstairs.

Even after all these years, the Marek/Lothander quest still causes people lots of problems.

So I put in C:GetGlobal("MarekMove","GLOBAL") and the game engine replied with "Global: MAREKMOVE GLOBAL set to 1" dose that mean I will die of poison (or scripted event) in 10 days? I followed instructions to the letter for the quest (get the geas removal scroll to Lothander, get his part of the potion (Carry it in my inventory) talk with Marek and kill him after the turns hostile, pick up the antidote with 10 charges and take a swig for good measure. )

I only received the 650 experience and the Marek and Lothander quest is NOT marked as finished in my quest journal.

Will I be ok?
  • who_is_danielwho_is_daniel Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 98

So I put in C:GetGlobal("MarekMove","GLOBAL") and the game engine replied with "Global: MAREKMOVE GLOBAL set to 1" dose that mean I will die of poison (or scripted event) in 10 days? I followed instructions to the letter for the quest (get the geas removal scroll to Lothander, get his part of the potion (Carry it in my inventory) talk with Marek and kill him after the turns hostile, pick up the antidote with 10 charges and take a swig for good measure. )

I only received the 650 experience and the Marek and Lothander quest is NOT marked as finished in my quest journal.

Will I be ok?

AH! I reloaded for the 7th time or so and after taking a swig of the 10 dosage antidote bottle I received 10,000 exp and had a journal update saying "Marek thought he could refuse to hand me the antidote that would save my life from the poison. He should have had an antidote to save his own life from me"

So strange I did not do anything different this time....but I think I am good to continue all the way through the series.
  • m3thinksm3thinks Member Posts: 3
    Well, I followed all the steps until I was supposed to either convince him/pickpocket him to get the Book of Wisdom. But even though I have 110% pickpocket rate, or boost Imoen to 18 Charisma, I cant get hold of the book. Nor is it on him when I kill him. What went wrong?
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    m3thinks wrote: »
    Well, I followed all the steps until I was supposed to either convince him/pickpocket him to get the Book of Wisdom. But even though I have 110% pickpocket rate, or boost Imoen to 18 Charisma, I cant get hold of the book. Nor is it on him when I kill him. What went wrong?

Are you definitely talking to the right guy - Chanthalas Ulbright, the male cleric in the Lady's Hall? If you are then I can't think of a reason he wouldn't have the book. You can still complete the quest by pick pocketing or killing Jalantha Mistmyr in the Temple of Umberlee in order to get the scroll you need.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    They're probably talking to the wrong guy, but pickpocketing doesn't do you much good anyway.

The book's too heavy to pickpocket. Just flatout. It weights 50 pounds, and no matter how potions of master thievery you drink you can't get it.

The scroll the High Priestess of Umberlee uses to cure the geass on the other hand, the scroll she gives you in exchange for that very same tome, is borderline wieghtless. If you've got a high level bard with a decent Dex score you can probably steal it with no potions at all.

And if you want to get the best of both worlds, the guy with the Tome of Wisdom will part with it if you tell him the sob story of how you're dying, and then you can just keep it for yourself and pickpocket the scroll anyways.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    edited October 2020
    I am reasonably certain Imoen pickpocketed the book from the priest in my last BG1 run. Of course, knowing my PC was also a thief, I spent all of her points on pickpocket and hide in shadows. By that point, she was at 95 for pickpocket.

I say that because the party definitely obtained it legitimately (as in, no consoling it in), and the priestess was no longer available to request it...

Which is to say, I had totally forgotten about Marek and Lothander in that game, so I was surprised when my party took out the priestess for getting mouthy over the kid she killed and discovered both the body I was after as well as the geas removal spell. When the party picked it up, I was like "Oh... cool"