Skip to content

What is the most bizarre thing to happen to you during a game of Baldur's Gate?

As per title. What is the weirdest, most bizarre or incongruous thing that you have experienced during your playthroughs? Feel free to share anything from bugs, glitches to funny coincidences.

Personally, I have seen a lot of funny stuff, but the thing I just witnessed takes the cake.

I am currently going through Watcher's Keep with a low-level party (whose progress I am, by the way, journalling on these forums.) Having just made it to the Final Seal, I send my invisible'd Charname (Blade) to scout the rooms adjacent to the main hall. I decide to open the northeastern gate first... only to find myself swarmed by Devil Shades who could not care less about my invisibility. Unprepared, wounded and spell-depleted, I don't feel particularly thrilled at the prospect of fighting such irritating monsters so I decide to let them have their way with me and reload after my charname dies (lazy gaming, I know.) After a dozen of so *hrrgh*s my charname's portrait finally turns gray and I expect the disintegrating-palm-of-game-over-video to start playing so I can reload the game. Only that it doesn't. My character just lies there, decidedly dead, but I still have full control of my party members. I can access the inventory and stats screens - hell, I can even travel through the portal to the previous level and save the game. Life, it seems, could not care less about the demise of my prodigal bhaalspawn and has decided to go on with its merry little pace.

imageimage

After five minutes or so of me having my headless party gallop around Amn for the sheer lulz of it, the game catches on and takes me to the long overdue death screen. Damn. I was already considering the possibility of a protagonist-less playthrough.
SionIVCrevsDaakmeaglothatcDaveAristilliusbooinyoureyesjackjackBelgarathMTHWolkBlackravenJuliusBorisovJenzafarFredjoDexter

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    One of the most bizarre things i've had happen to me was using a scroll of raise dead on Mazzy and then have habib kill her with a flying scimitar. I didn't know what to do other than just look at her dead body and feel like crying when i had to carry that full plate and her back to the temple.

I've also been killed by lightning several times in BG1.
    BalladbooinyoureyesBlackravenFredjo
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    You mean Besides Edwina?
    Blackraven
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689

You mean Besides Edwina?

I always had this image in my head of Edwina getting drunk out of sorrow, and then wakes up the next morning in bed next to Korgan.

Such an amazing chance for a Edwin(a) and Korgan banter.
    JenzafarFredjo
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2014
    This one occurred when I was beta testing for BG2EE on a mac (this was back in september/october). Basically whenever I would cast Time Stop on any outdoor area in ToB any area outside of the fog of war would become black, moving the screen around would make multiple images of characters and objects on the screen, and moving a character around would also make multiple images. Pretty psychedelic stuff :D

Post edited by elminster on
    BlackravenJuliusBorisovFredjo
    edited April 2014
    There was also another bug at one point in the pre-release beta where whenever you would kill particular enemies, and there was no logic behind it it was just certain creature files, you'd get a reputation boost of 2/enemy. So since I was playing an evil, low reputation party this made things extremely difficult since killing a group of 5 salamanders could potentially give me +10 reputation (to give you an idea of how random it was I recall it also gave positive reputation for killing athkatlan guards). Thankfully however in that particular build there was also a bug present that was causing commoners to randomly appear on maps and multiply in numbers. So I was able to use killing the commoners to keep my reputation in check.
    CrevsDaakwintersSCARY_WIZARDMontresor_SP
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I once shot a Chromatic Orb to an Eagle and lost 5 Reputation (in iPad version you can target flying creatures).
    Also, a while ago in my MP game with @Quartz‌, one of his character walked over the water and he was saying that his character was right besides mine... we've all blamed my country's bad internet.
    elminsterBlackravenJuliusBorisovFredjo
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    edited April 2014
    and the bible amirite guys
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    This was fun. =]
    elminsterWolkTressetJenzafar
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    elminster said:

This one occurred when I was beta testing for BG2EE on a mac (this was back in september/october). Basically whenever I would cast Time Stop on any outdoor area in ToB any area outside of the fog of war would become black, moving the screen around would make multiple images of characters and objects on the screen, and moving a character around would also make multiple images. Pretty psychedelic stuff :D

is this supposed to be gone cus I had this effect in my last playthrough

elminstersimpleslolien
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    The lightning/werewolf thing.

That *is* definitely odd.
    jackjackwinters
    element said:

elminster said:

is this supposed to be gone cus I had this effect in my last playthrough

It should be gone. I've tested it since and not run into it.
    element
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited April 2014
    My wild mage once wild surge sex changed a pirate in Brynnlaw and the game crashed.

I could probably go on for quite a while about all the crazy stuff that goes on behind the scenes, such as me arguing with developers about how a level 4 spell should not behave like Finger of Death... That was an interesting one...
    Post edited by Tresset on
    jackjack
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    lunar said:

In my old vanilla bgt game I had zillions of mods installed so I knew I was going to face some bugs. But I was really surprised when a group of Belhifet demons came rushing to my lvl 1 charname and Imoen right at the start.

Belhifet is the big bad of the IwD1, the final boss, a towering, ugly red demon with spikes and dual wielding gigantic scimitars. Imagine my shock when a group of six these demons came hunting for my lvl 1pc. But wait, they were shouting like gibberlings!? Woah they die like gibberlings, too. Apparently, some custom avatar mod or such had bugged out and swapped the inoocent, little gibberling avatar with the towering horrible demon Belhifet. It was funny to watch all those Belhifets die, as he does have a groovy death animation, he hovers in the air for a few seconds and bleeds etc.

It was Charnames first encounter with monsters ever. Of course they seemed like horrible demon lords to him. :P
    lunarmeaglothMacHurto
  • abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    Nothing comes to me off the top of my head, but the time I met Larry the kobold and his two buddies (I forgot their names)
  • abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    I forgot this: I didn't know a planetar's capabilities, so when I used one against Firkraag, the planetar scored a vorpal hit and killed him. Imagine how unfulfilled I felt when I saw the dialogue box say "Firkraag: Vorpal Hit. Firkraag: Dispel Effects. Firkraag: Death." He was only at Badly Injured.