Skip to content

The Story of Grynne, Executioner of Wizards (New Attempt)

1235»

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited April 2014
    Aurorus said:

It´s still pretty bad. However, do the abilities work with ranged attacks, i.e. from a bow or darts? Seems to me that WS, both this version and vanilla version, actually are not completely horrible if they can add their anti-magic attack to bow or dart attacks. This would allow them to select an elemental damage type, or poison, or stun (as with darts), or even use arrows of dispelling (with shatter magic picking up any buffs that are not dispelled), and get extra attacks every round.

Yep the abilities work with ranged attacks. So far I've only grandmastered axes (throwing axes and melee axes) and put one proficiency point in 2h sword (for Spiders' Bane). I agree that bows and darts can be very useful.
    With True Grandmastery installed, I opted to grandmaster axes (for the extra APR true grandmastery offers and the STR bonus on ranged axe attacks), but in hindsight it would have probably been wiser to invest in axes (2 pips), 2h swords (1 pip) darts (2 pips, there's a great one in my setup thanks to Rogue Rebalancing: a returning Frost Dart +1, which does 1 additional cold damage).

@Blackraven, sorry, I forgot about your WS restrictions when I suggested the Greenstone Amulet. Those magic item restrictions seem to be quite a handicap, especially for a solo SCS run.

Gratz on beating SCS Daveaorn! That was a very exciting read. It looks like all those extra guards might be a (new?) part of the "better calls for help" component of SCS.

I've documented runs with screenshots and partially in-character journal entries before, and I know how much work that is, so good job!

If I'm not mistaken, a vanilla WS wouldn't have been able to beat Daveaorn the way you did, because of not having spell failure ability on ranged weapons (like your throwing axes), and not having the special protection stripping ability.

There was a thing that came up in some of the WS discussion threads about whether spell failure penalty would proc through a hit on a Stoneskin, and you just proved that it does with the mod. Do you know if it also procs through Stoneskin hits in the vanilla version? That makes a big difference in how effective the class can be.

(Some people in the threads were very confident that spell failure doesn't proc until all Stoneskins are removed, and some other people would insist that it does, but nobody ever seemed to want to take the time to test it.)

Thanks for appreciating the effort of documenting! It's indeed time-consuming, but I enjoy it. :)
    Re: the vanilla WS, to be honest I've got no idea how I would have tackled Davaeorn on an SCS solo run, though after yesterday I think it might be done if one of the Battle Horrors is kept alive, because I suspect (I think I mentioned it in my previous post) that the horde of guards only arrive after you've killed both Battle Horrors. The trick would then be to wait for Davaeorn's protections (except Stoneskin) to expire before attacking/disrupting. Without the Shatter Magic ability it would be unwise to attack a globed/mirror imaged/stoneskinned spellcaster.
    I believe the spellfailure penalty also pierces Stoneskin in vanilla. But this is based on hazy recollections, so I can't tell for sure.
    All in all I don't think I would have gotten this far in an SCS no-reload run with an unmodded WS. I wonder if @bengoshi has made any progress with his unmodded WS solo no-reload SCS run. He rolled a 19 CON dwarf for the saving throws.

BTW I had to do another re-install yesterday, when my game crashed in BG CIty. (I couldn't leave the area where I was, or the game would crash.) I installed SCSI and II v21, since the most recent version is apparently incompatible with Ascension.
    BelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

BTW I had to do another re-install yesterday, when my game crashed in BG CIty. (I couldn't leave the area where I was, or the game would crash.) I installed SCSI and II v21, since the most recent version is apparently incompatible with Ascension.

If it only crashed once it's the game's fault. BG2's engine is greatly known for making random crashes.
    v28 of SCS is also compatible with Ascension, but both v21 are a good choice for BGT.
    CrevsDaak said:

If it only crashed once it's the game's fault. BG2's engine is greatly known for making random crashes.
    v28 of SCS is also compatible with Ascension, but both v21 are a good choice for BGT.
    Well it crashed every time I tried to leave the area. I think it's because I wanted to re-install the 'remove helmet animations' component but forgot to uninstall Generalized Biffing first. :(
    I hope my current savegames work in my new setup...
    CrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

CrevsDaak said:

Well it crashed every time I tried to leave the area. I think it's because I wanted to re-install the 'remove helmet animations' component but forgot to uninstall Generalized Biffing first. :(
    I hope my current savegames work in my new setup...
    Oh, well, hope it works well now :)
    SCS won't cause much problems if uninstalled/re-installed. Maybe there are a bunch of strings missing, but nothing more.
    I can't talk much about other mods since I haven't used them.
    @CrevsDaak, thank you. I'm currently testing, and it seems to work :)
    CrevsDaak
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Great run so far ! From what I'm reading I think the rebalanced Wisard Slayer can be quite effective in late game. At level 20 you will already have 50% base magic resistance and 30% cumulative spell failure on hits (which penetrates Stoneskin and Mirror Image in the EE) with more APR and THAC0 it will start to shine.

I was amused when I saw your reaction to Genthore's axes throwing skills because it was the same for me :D
    Blackraven
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    I actually quite like the more role-played style of installment. I think it's good to switch them back and forth anyway, just because some parts need more fleshing out, while others are just painful to try and make a story around. =p
    Blackraven
    Gotural said:

Great run so far ! From what I'm reading I think the rebalanced Wisard Slayer can be quite effective in late game. At level 20 you will already have 50% base magic resistance and 30% cumulative spell failure on hits (which penetrates Stoneskin and Mirror Image in the EE) with more APR and THAC0 it will start to shine.

I was amused when I saw your reaction to Genthore's axes throwing skills because it was the same for me :D

Thanks @Gotural! And yes, it's true: the rebalanced WS will indeed become quite powerful I think. At higher levels she'll hopefully stop using the Shatter Magic ability much and just wait for mages' protections to expire without having to fear their spells thanks to her MR :)
    Elrandir said:

I actually quite like the more role-played style of installment. I think it's good to switch them back and forth anyway, just because some parts need more fleshing out, while others are just painful to try and make a story around. =p

I agree with you here buddy. I think the strictly technical playthroughs are less fun to read, less special. I'll try to incorporate some RP asepcts even in the more tactical installments.
    ElrandirBelgarathMTHGotural
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    Happy ti see she is back on business! This one seems like a winner :-)
    ElrandirCrevsDaakGoturalJuliusBorisov
    Thanks very much @MacHurto, it's been great fun so far. But....
    I've had issues with my install. (Which was only a few days old, set up after my old install had crashed at area transitions.) This time I was unable to start a new game because of some kind of 'Assertion failure' (according to a pop-up window). I suppose I can still load my Grynne game but this failure makes me wary of possible other issues with my install. I think I'll try to finish at least BG1 with her.
    Meanwhile I've done a more basic install (with mainly cosmetic and gameplay mods) this morning, for new games. (probably my all-rogues run).
    ElrandirGoturalJuliusBorisov