Skip to content

Unique Twists On Classic Classes

I know the name of this thread is a little vague, but I've been thinking a bit about classic classes that everyone role-plays the same way, and how to change it to be very different. I've only got a few ideas so far, but I'm sure others have some really unique ideas. I've found it's somewhat hard to make traditionally evil classes good, since romanticizing evil is already done so much, so the ones I've thought of are more traditionally good or good-intentioned classes going evil. Here's the (good, as opposed to average) one I have right now. I've thought of a couple others, but none of them are good enough to warrant posting here.

Wizard Slayer:
The Wizard Slayer is a class that most people role-play very similarly. (for good logical reason) A strong wizard hating (for some reason, whether it be they lost family to them, believe they are beings of chaos that endanger the world, or even jealousy of the wizard's powers) warrior, generally of Good or Neutral alignment. Now meet my twisted WS...

Wizard Slayer/Mage Multi Class: (I'm ignoring legality in deference to how interesting it is)
This Wizard Slayer is no hater of magic, but rather a hater of other mages. He took up the art of wizard slaying as a way to further his own power, to "be the best" whether by talent or by eliminating the competition. He would probably be Chaotic or Neutral Evil, and would slaughter another mage as soon as he met them. He is a truly merciless killer, bent only on his own success.
BlackravenmeaglothjackjackCrevsDaakNonnahswriterbooinyoureyesJuliusBorisovlolien

Comments

• bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Doesnt Edwin fit the role of your "Wizard Slayer"? He is obsessed with power and would do anything to advance his goals. However, he has a high disdain in melee prowess. It is an ultimate insult (to Edwin) to use brawn to overcome the brain.
    ElrandirBlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    @Elrandir‌

Would it be possible to reframe "evil" classes from a good/neutral perspective? When you mentioned "romanticizing evil", I was actually thinking about the glorification of evil by making evil look "cool", "hip", "fashionable", or something along these lines.
    wintersBlackravenCrevsDaak
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    edited April 2014
    @bbear‌ I suppose he kind of does. I don't play evil terribly often, so I don't have much experience with the red-robed wizard. But the idea was to create an idea that is different then the way that everyone plays a WS.

@jacobtan‌ That's exactly what I mean. While giving into our natural human traits of power and domination can be fun (in the game world), it's "romanticized" too often. What would in real life be considered a horrible evil person (or at least a law-breaking thief) is instead portrayed to be cool or even, as you said, fashionable.

That said, trying to "reframe" the evil classes is a nice idea, but one that I haven't been able to produce something with as of yet.
  • winterswinters Member Posts: 252
    jacobtan said:

@Elrandir‌

Would it be possible to reframe "evil" classes from a good/neutral perspective? When you mentioned "romanticizing evil", I was actually thinking about the glorification of evil by making evil look "cool", "hip", "fashionable", or something along these lines.

Also what do you understand by "evil" classes? The ones that require E component in character alignment, or the ones associated with immoral/unethical acts (stealing, killing... oops, it's actually most of BG characters - thieves, fighters, barbarians etc.) ?
  • jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    winters said:

jacobtan said:

@Elrandir‌

Also what do you understand by "evil" classes? The ones that require E component in character alignment, or the ones associated with immoral/unethical acts (stealing, killing... oops, it's actually most of BG characters - thieves, fighters, barbarians etc.) ?
    Either is cause for consideration.

A list would include Assassin and Blackguard, and probably Bounty Hunter (seems that there are quite a few bounty hunters in BG who are antagonists).
    Elrandir
    Why not Wizard Slayer too? Also, Dark Moon monk / Cleric of Talos.
    KamigoroshijackjackJuliusBorisov
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    A Wizard Slayer is not inherently evil. There are a lot of evil wizards, and the WS's goal could be merely to kill them. Blackguard, DM Monk, Cleric oT, Stalker (ehehe... That's a joke. And not one pointed at Valygar), Necromancer. The list can continue on, though those are the main ones. From there it becomes less obvious. Assassins are generally evil, but while their job is morally questionable, one can certainly justify their actions. The same goes for thieves. Fighter and Barbarian\Berserker aren't necessarily evil. Fighter could just be a soldier. Barbarian is as much a way of life as a class. Berserker is really just a Fighter with high blood pressure and a high tolerance for pain. =p
    jacobtanJuliusBorisov
    @Elrandir, I asked to get exactly this kind of answer, thank you :) I mentioned Wizard Slayer on purpose, as opposed to a regular Fighter, because even the kit's name suggests active harmful deeds (as opposed to reactions, meaning, defense). So it's not about acts but possible justification for them.
    ElrandirJuliusBorisov
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    I find it very difficult to define a class as evil, except if the class derives its powers from some dark force or deity (the already mentioned Blackguard, Cleric of Talos, and Dark Moon monk). We can also couple an Evil alignment to one of the classes that aren't necessarily inhererently evil but lend themselves well to roleplaying evil, such as Thieves, Bounty Hunters, Assassins, Necromancers. These characters could start out as evil and become 'good' due to certain events in the game. Viconia's and Sarevok's redemption are examples.

Vice versa I like the idea of inherently good classes, paladins and rangers, who somehow fall, either due to becoming corrupted or as a result of unfortunate events. A fallen Ranger who loses his class abilities and turns to Talos for guidance. He duals into a Cleric of Talos, and becomes a kick a$$ Fallen Ranger/Priest.

For my upcoming thieves-only run (or maybe rogues only to include bards) I've been thinking of creating a TN charname with high CHA (and probably low WIS). The high CHA manifests itself in charname's physical appeal, conflict-averse nature, and general likeability. But he/she will have zero leadership skills. Depending on how the story develops, which NPCs end up in her party, (s)he might become good-aligned or evil-aligned. I think I'll allow for one turning point in late BG1, then the Hell Trials in BG2 and maybe one more plot point somewhere.
    ElrandirJuliusBorisovlolien
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    But, but Ajantis is cool too... :'( I feel like he and charname are high-fiving after every successful battle vanquishing evil, hehe :) Just not what Im going for with my new character :)
    ElrandirJuliusBorisov
    @Twani, can't agree more. Just listening to Ajantis' initial lines makes me cringe. FRIEND OR FOE? Damnit, I'd obviously tell you if I was a wanted criminal, wouldn't I? Meh. Forgotten Realms setting is supposed to be heroic and a bit naive, but that's simply too much.

Ad: character twisting. There's one particular twist I like a lot and I'm often tempted to create characters with at least some echo of it. See: Planescape's Doomguard, M:tA Euthanatoi. Usually Neutral, all kinds of assassins, bounty hunters, necromancers and such qualify. Now when I think of it, some version of Blackguard might work too, but that would be pretty extreme and wouldn't work in BG RP-wise. In the world metaphorically full of doctors, they are surgeons, removing rotten limbs when there's nothing else one can do; entropic blade-runners. That's a risky path, both personally and in terms of relationship with the community and I think that such worldview would suit a Bhaalspawn pretty well. He/she's an outcast this way or another.
    ElrandirJuliusBorisov
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    He's really, really better in BG1NPC. In BG1NPC, he's like, this sweet guy your gal Bhaalspawn can marry and fall in love with and have a happy future with, and he's very considerate and caring- the actual knight in shining armor, far different then 'whyyyyyyy don't you ask about MEEEEE, my lady' Anomen.

But in vanilla BG1, he's... a paladin. Who detects evil everywhere. And attacks and randomly kills any evil people in his presence.
    jackjackElrandirNonnahswriterwinters
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited April 2014
    Twani said:

Dorn: I made a pact with a demon and carry out massacres and slaughters in his name. And in my name, come to think of it.
    Ajantis: ZOMG, Dorn! YOU ARE EVIL.
    Dorn: Yeah, duh.
    Ajantis: ...I just can't take this, guys. I'm going to the Friendly Amn Inn. Pick me up later, k? Will romance good aligned female Bhaalspawn! I is a Keeper!
    Dorn: Whatever. Bye!

Ajantis' player erased "Etiquette" from his Character Sheet's Nonweapon Proficiency section and replaced them with "Gaslighting" and filled in one of the empty slots with "Accusation". It was a very tongue-in-cheek decision, and when the group got together again for adventures in Amn and beyond, his player repented by rolling a Paladin named Keldorn Firecam, who was previously in Ajantis' Background section...

I remember my Swashbuckler -> Magic-User constantly messed with his head until he was like "Well, you should stop stealing!" and she was like "Well, you should go [REDACTED] a mimic!". Then he got all sulky. :/

Oh, we were talking about new spins on classes. Ooh, shiny!
    Post edited by SCARY_WIZARD on
    JuliusBorisov
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    edited April 2014
    How about a Wanna-be Paladin. Start Protagonist as a Fighter/Cleric Multiclass [Lawful Neutral or Neutral Good] who really wants to be a Paladin, whatever that is. Perhaps as some added protection insurance against the Dark Side of his/her sub-conscious. Then play with the random variable that after every Rest period, Charname rolls a D20.

On any roll of 1) He/She donates at the first opportunity 10% of Party's Gold to the nearest Temple. If any Evil NPCS are in the party they leave during rest period after the donation, taking with them the party's most valuable possession/weapon. You could also then roll 3-D6 to determine whether the absconding NPC makes off with the good stuff, is caught red-handed and deadly battle ensues or escapes more or less empty-handed. That second roll could be keyed to Charname's Intelligence.

On a roll of 20) Charname disbands the entire party and goes on retreat at the Temple of Helm in Nashkel . The only party-members that he would then infallibly re-recruit would be Ajantis and Imoen. Not sure how major Weapons/Items would be handled. I suspect that Good-Aligned NPCs would obey and Neutrals could go either way.

Evil NPCs of course would scoff at the whole idea..."~Evermemory~, is MINE !!!" but could probably be re-recruited normally. They might find Charname's religious manias hilariously funny!!
    ElrandirBlackravenjackjack