Skip to content

[GUI Mod] BG2:EE GUI in BG:EE (for v1.3 only)

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Yeah I have BG2:EE on PC and Ipad. Would buy the android version too, if I had a droid device. I'm a fan. :-)
    CrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @argent77‌ discovered that the PVRZ are different and updated NI to recognize them too. Haven't tried it out myself, but I think that they should work.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,174
    @CrevsDaak @lunar: Can you use NI on tablet and try exporting image files? I'll tell you which ones...
    @Pecca yes, I can do that.
    @CrevsDaak: Ok, I guess we can try it on iPad, first try to export all mos files from BG2:EE with mass export function of NI, and put relevant files (those which are in the mod folder in the OP) in BG:EE, and see if they display correctly. If they do, export all other files that are in the mod folder and that should be all (though that takes some time).
    edited April 2014
    @Pecca they do not. The PVRZ are also needed, going to see how it looks now with them.
    Edit: even with the PVRZ it is showing all shitty :/
    imageimageimage
    Post edited by CrevsDaak on
    @CrevsDaak: Sorry, forgot about PVRZ files (as they are also called mos files). Hmm well, the inventory works as do side panels. Do all in-game windows have correct images? (excluding bams of course). If only start screens are messed up it can be fixed individually.
  • kungfuhobbitkungfuhobbit Member Posts: 168
    edited April 2014
    Pecca said:

By the way, I'm very excited now, because I have finally figured out how to do this:

No dead spaces. The GUI is lot more modular, than I have thought. :)
    :D:D:D drool...
    *Thankyou* I can't wait until you can release this option!
    @kungfuhobbit: After the patch is out, I'll start another thread about it. It will require different file for every resolution, fortunately, it's not much work, so I should be able (hopefully) to create it for everyone who asks.
    kungfuhobbit
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    @Pecca I've seen in several instances that different platforms or localizations appear to store graphics differently within PVRZ files. Sometimes even the button graphics looks differently. You can't even be sure that the graphics will stay the same after a game update.

One way to tackle the problem is by creating a set of independent PVRZ files (with new indices to make sure they don't overwrite existing files) and update the associated MOS files to refer to the new PVRZ files. This is a lot of work though.

A better option is probably to avoid using PVRZ files at all and use the old MOS v1 format to store the GUI graphics. Since BG(2)EE is compatible with the original BG(2) games, the EE games should support that format on all available platforms. The only disadvantages of this option I can think of are the limited number of colors (up to 256) for each MOS file and the limited transparency support (MOS v1 only support full or no transparency). Although I don't know if the latter is a relevant issue for GUI graphics.
    BlackLinxPecca
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    edited April 2014
    argent77 said:

Although I don't know if the latter is a relevant issue for GUI graphics.

A few weeks back, I made a GUI with the intention to remove the transparency. I removed all PVRZ files from bif & chitin and the game run fine.

http://nsa34.casimages.com/img/2014/04/19/140419033722959454.jpg

Just need to edit 2/3 bams (I don't remember which...) for avoid the game crash.

However for the sharing, the problem is that we need to edit the x & y values in the chu files and make different mos files... for all available resolutions.
    Post edited by Kerozevok on
    @argent77: Yeah, exporting mos and even bam files as v1 shouldn't take that long. I think that only the semi-transparent dialog windows need to be v2. I have one question - what is the difference between compressed and uncompressed v1 files?
    Turns out that a lot of bams contain semi-transaprent pixels too.
    Pecca said:

I have one question - what is the difference between compressed and uncompressed v1 files?

Compressed MOS and BAM files are simply zlib-compressed versions of the uncompressed files to save some disk space. BG(2)EE supports both formats.
    Pecca said:

Turns out that a lot of bams contain semi-transaprent pixels too.

More often than not semi-transparency is used only to create anti-aliased edges. The converted BAM v1 counterparts shouldn't look much worse in those cases.
    @lunar: I uploaded new version that should be compatible with tablets. Try it out and tell me how it works.
    Oh wow thank you, will do so gladly!
    Gui buttons seem to not work still they are black boxes. Like this

I've deleted the offending files cpen, guibtact, guilsop etc and replaced them with Archaic's brown colored gui buttons. It works then (2nd screenshot) but inventory seems funky:empty slots look too black and empty and items that can not be used are grayed out instead of red. Will experiment with the different files.
    Deleted inventory slot files, stonamulet, stonboot etc. This reverted them back to vanilla blue. I can live with that.(first shot)
    However dialogue box is still black. Which file do I have to delete to revert it back to original? Other components seem to work ok.
    Damned, PVRZ doesn't work there even when it's stored independently.
    It is better than the first try, brown columns work okay. Buttons are troublesome but I can fix them manually. Umm, which file is responsible for dialogue box change? I need to revert it back to normal and it will be okay
    @lunar: Does the option screen work for you? It's also PVRZ. Dialog boxes are GUIWDMB0, GUWBTP20 and GUWBTP30.

@argent77: Have you any idea why this doesn't work? The v1 bams work well. But I saved bams, which would loose anti-aliasing, in PVRZ format, and they don't show on android.
    Options is buggy yeah, haven't noticed that. Which files are responsible for options screen?

I deleted the dialogue box files and it looks good now. Mod's bulk is brown gui and it works. Only buttons are needed to be changed.

If I won't figure it out, I will make all bams and mos files the old version, which seems to work, but they will loose smooth edges. I will also leave dialog boxes alone and release it as an android version.
    I would prefer to figure it out though.
    lunar
    Pecca said:

Have you any idea why this doesn't work? The v1 bams work well. But I saved bams, which would loose anti-aliasing, in PVRZ format, and they don't show on android.

I can't say much about the mobile versions of BGEE. It appears however that their PVRZ files are using a new pixel format which is supposed to be more suitable for mobile devices.

Decoding support has already been implemented into the latest NI version (although it was a real PITA to figure out the decoding algorithm). It's a proprietary format however, so you'll likely never see a converter that can create PVRZ files in that particular pixel format.

It is quite possible that the pixel format used in PVRZ files of the PC/Mac versions isn't even supported in the Android version of the game.
    edited April 2014
    I looove thebrown gui. I've used Archaic's brown button files and they work well maybe you can check them and see how they are different and compatible? My Ipad game looks very nice to my eyes now. I have my own custom spell casting graphics, too and bigger fonts from Archaic gui. Looking cool. :-) thank you very much for this mod!
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Is it possible to just insert the quick loot bar into the BG:EE gui, or is that hopelessly entangled with all the other gui files? All I really want in the quick loot bar in the android version of the game, but I understand if that is not an easy request.
    Alright then, I will make all old version bam and mos files for tablet version and I'll leave the dialog window as it is. It fortunatelly fits there.

@cmk24: I kinda expected they're going to implement it. It isn't difficult, but I'm going to base any more work on the next patch.
    @lunar: I released a separated tablet version, where I completely removed PVRZ file format.
    lunar
    Awesome! Really, this mod makes playing bg1:ee not a chore after the beautiful gui of bg2:ee
    Pecca
    @lunar: can you post a screenshot, how it looks now on tablet?