Skip to content

BG:EE Monks are actually pretty damn good

After all the discussions I read about it here I figured I would try a monk build. I was expecting it too be frustratingly bad given the troubles I read here, but the contrary appeared to be true.

I have played for a few hours, am only at level 3 and it is turning into a power-build already. It has decent/good defense and attack combined with speed and sun soulray. With the right gear and items to extra enhance its defense it becomes a beast.

Check the screenshot after a potion of defense below.... just wait till it gets its hands on Twinkle and whatever else I will find to fit ^^ Will keep you guys/girls updated on how it develops.

(Rasaad still sucks in BG:EE by the way)

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited April 2014
    The problem with the monk is that his fists aren't magical in BGEE. And anything you can get on your monk, a Fighter/Ranger/Paladin/Barbarian will do better.

Monks aren't really 'bad' but they are at the bottom of the list in BG1. They start to shine in BG2 once they get a few levels under their belt.

A Priest of Helm or Lathander will also be much more deadly in combat than the Monk. Same with a Swashbuckler or Blade.

If we make a list of all classes in BG:EE and try to match them up against a monk it would be.

Rogue (Swashbuckler) > Monk
    Cleric (Priest of Lathander/Helm) > Monk
    Fighter > Monk
    Paladin > Monk
    Ranger > Monk
    Mage (Arcane spells) > Monk
    Druid (Level 5 divine spells) > Monk
    Bard (Blade) > Monk
    Barbarian > Monk
    Sorcerer > Monk

So the monk is actually the weakest class in BG1. Druid, Mage and Sorcerer will outperform him with spells. The rest of the classes can out perform him in Melee.

And yes the monk can be a great tank and have a low AC. But most other classes can reach this as well.
    Post edited by SionIV on
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    @‌ But those don't have extra running speed from start, can't wear Moonwalkers and Glimmering Bands :)
    IkMarc said:

@‌ But those don't have extra running speed from start, can't wear Moonwalkers and Glimmering Bands :)

The Barbarian have extra running speed, everyone else can use boots of speed, something the monk can't use himself.

They won't need Moonwalker or Glimmering Bands as they have Full plate and a large shield +2.

To make a list for you.

Helm of Balduran (+1 AC)
    Full plate (AC 1)
    Large shield +2 (+2 AC)

Those are items that the monk can't use. Now throw in all the AC items the monk can use and you're still far beyond him in AC.
    Tresset said:

@SionIV Umm, I think you mixed up your greater than/less than symbols.

The only problem I see here is that the potions of defense/invulnerability are really really rare until you get to the city of BG. Oh, and don't count on being able to use Rasaad's boots for very long... Or the glimmering bands for that matter...

I was aiming for an arrow to the winner, but you're right!
    IkMarc said:

@SionIV‌
    Yeah sure those things are all true, I've been here before and this will end up in a battle of mathematical BG equations not a lot less complicated than quantum mechanics... I pass this time.

I am not looking to argue that all the hypothetical builds with other classes might or might not be stronger at any point in the game whatsoever... I'm Just figuring out that the Monk can from early on be a nice class to use despite the general consensus it utterly sucks and I figured I'd share the progress.

I fully agree with you that you can build a monk up to be a powerful character in BGEE. They just require a bit of special care and items, not to mention potions.

Respect to you for playing a monk though!
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    edited April 2014
    I like monks,they are excellent vs mages.Fly like a butterfly and sting like bee;)
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Biggest downside to the Monk is that with any weapon equipped, which you need to do in order to damage certain enemies, you are capped at 1 attack per round. Even when you get twinkle, the 1 APR is crippling. You can have the greatest Ac in the world but when it takes you forever to kill things because you have no damage output you're still gonna get hit and you're still gonna get killed due to the sheer volume of attacks you have coming at you.
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    Oh. There goes my darkmoon run 'til that's fixed
  • IrualIrual Member Posts: 1
    @FinaLfront: do not yet give up on the DMM. Apparently, all you need to do is to equip the cloak "Relair's Mistake" and use it, and you get a 3Apr magical attack in wolf form. And if you equip a weapon, say Dagger of Venom, in your off-hand before the transformation, the 3rd attack will be with that weapon - with no offhand thac0 penalty... I think this goes thematically very well with Dark Moon Monk, am having a blast right now with that build! You just have to accept that you'll be vulnerable to critical hits because not being able to wear a helmet, no workaround for that (exept cheating with EEKeeper)
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited April 2014
    Tresset said:

@SionIV Umm, I think you mixed up your greater than/less than symbols.

Yep one way to think of it is that large end of the symbol where the lines are expanding away from each other means 'on this side is greater', and point where the two lines come together, narrowing, means 'on this side is lesser'.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited April 2014
    IkMarc said:

Why does everyone overlook Barbarian? Sigh...
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    @Quartz - yep. Barbarian is usually quite overlooked here, but don't fret, my friend. Soon, they will tremble under our berserker power!
    (I also tried to play a monk as a barbarian...with lots of different buffing potions simulating "frenzy"...quite funny)