Skip to content

Unlimited Ammo Longbow of +3 enchantment or greater BG2

DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
BG2EE offers 2 options for shortbows and 1 crossbow that all come with unlimited ammo that hit as a +3 weapon or higher. For a character like the Archer however, especially if they come from BGEE, they will likely start the game with ++++ in Longbows.

My request is that a longbow or composite longbow with unlimited ammunition be added which will allow it to hit the more difficult enemies in game that require a +4 or higher enchantment (similar to Gesen or the Fire Crossbow). Ideally it wouldn't become available until Ch. 6 or so of SoA.

Comments

• SilentFoxSilentFox Member Posts: 19
    Seconded, seems like a rather large oversight that most other ranged weapons get an unlimited ammo launcher.
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    Agreed, I recall an Archer play through a long time ago when I realised I was doing hardly any damage in the major fights, though thankfully early enough to 5 star Crossbow to use the Firetooth by the end of the game.

Longbows are essentially useless by the time you hit the Underdark in BG2, so something that would correct this (even if you don't get it as early as that) would be very much appreciated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Typo_Tilly

I think so. I know Gesen hits as a +4 and Firetooth I think hits as a +4 and you can upgrade it in ToB to hit as a +5. If I recall, barring things like Protection from Magical Weapons, things like Liches, Adamantine Golems, etc all require +3 enchantment or greater to hit their target.

While there are plenty of +3 Longbows in game, the only +3 arrows you can find (which is where your To Hit for those above comes into play) are in ToB. Even getting unlimited +2 arrows doesn't happen until ToB, while all your melee fighters are running around with weapons ranging from +4-+6 enchantment. Heck even by the end of SoA almost everyone is using a +3 weapon minimum.

I know this request has come up before, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it added sometime. :)

Is longbow presently the only weapon-set that can't hit all (or nearly all?) enemies in the game?

EDIT - I think longbows and clubs have nothing beyond +3.

Club of Detonation goes to +5 with the upgrade, so it's only longbows.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709

My request is that a longbow or composite longbow with unlimited ammunition be added which will allow it to hit the more difficult enemies in game that require a +4 or higher enchantment (similar to Gesen or the Fire Crossbow). Ideally it wouldn't become available until Ch. 6 or so of SoA.

My forum handle is Skaffen and I approve of this message!
  • XukuthXukuth Member Posts: 78
    Install the Item Upgrade mod and build Teleomortis.
  • NikPrussNikPruss Member Posts: 14
    Do what @Xukuth said, also if I remember correctly weapons that use projectiles need those projectiles to be of a certail level. You could use Firetoother +5 but if you use normal arrows, it's magic level will be 0. So you are kind of SoL there >.>. The telemortis is a longbow that auto-fires +4 arrows, so it's useful until the end game.

The problem with Ranged weapons in this game is that they don't take dex/strength into account when using. It's an easy mod to change them to use Strength in damage considerations, but unreasonable to a point.

The reason it's unreasonable is that bows only have a string strength of so much, so the arrow only goes as fast and hard as the string's strength. One can argue that you can always strengthen the string, thus pulling with all your might, making the arrow hit harder, but DnD 2.0 Didn't have anything like this in it's rules. I believe 3.0 did something with dex, but not sure, never did follow DnD rules >.>

But if you want something to extract into your override file that allows damage increase to bows, just hit me up I could take care of it in no time.
    NikPruss said:

Do what @Xukuth said, also if I remember correctly weapons that use projectiles need those projectiles to be of a certail level. You could use Firetoother +5 but if you use normal arrows, it's magic level will be 0. So you are kind of SoL there >.>. The telemortis is a longbow that auto-fires +4 arrows, so it's useful until the end game.

The problem with Ranged weapons in this game is that they don't take dex/strength into account when using. It's an easy mod to change them to use Strength in damage considerations, but unreasonable to a point.

The reason it's unreasonable is that bows only have a string strength of so much, so the arrow only goes as fast and hard as the string's strength. One can argue that you can always strengthen the string, thus pulling with all your might, making the arrow hit harder, but DnD 2.0 Didn't have anything like this in it's rules. I believe 3.0 did something with dex, but not sure, never did follow DnD rules >.>

But if you want something to extract into your override file that allows damage increase to bows, just hit me up I could take care of it in no time.

The Firetooth Crossbow generates its own Fire Bolts if none are equipped that it at +4 unupgraded, and +5 upgraded. That's really not all that limiting.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    plz add this, I hate that long bows are OP in BG1 but a shit in BG2, well, EEkeper helps.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    I would like it to be known that I am an advocate of this proposal
  • TaearTaear Member Posts: 90
    I completely agree - I played an archer in BG1 and 2, then through to ToB and I had to essentially respec to shortbows because of it.
    The other irritation is there's a REALLY limited supply of +2 arrows in BG2 and if I hadn't switched to Gesen by the time I got back to Amn in Chapter 6 I wouldn't have been able to do anything any more.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited January 2014

I know this request has come up before, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it added sometime. :)

Is longbow presently the only weapon-set that can't hit all (or nearly all?) enemies in the game?

in soa there's the mana bow and in tob there's taralash
    but they both suck to put it mildly
  • TaearTaear Member Posts: 90
    bob_veng said:

in soa there's the mana bow and in tob there's taralash
    but they both suck to put it mildly
    That doesn't count, because they don't imbue the arrows with the enchantment.
    oh right...
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Now there are Arrows+4, but only in the BP2, I was thinking that some could be added to the main game to some ToB archers that are using normal or just +1 arrows.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2014
    CrevsDaak said:

Now there are Arrows+4, but only in the BP2, I was thinking that some could be added to the main game to some ToB archers that are using normal or just +1 arrows.

or just make Arrows of Piercing count as +4 weapons :)
    i agree, it would reduce the clutter of there being too many ammo types

but there are so many lootable arrows of piercing now (at least 300 i think), their availability would have to be reduced down to 100 tops; also the price should be increased.
    an idea: add more lootable arrows+3 to soa and remove most arrows of piercing from first-half soa (most to be obtainable in tob).

maybe they need more flavor too because they'd be so magical, a new name, a new item description.

it would all be a job for the modders however, no small amount of work required here.
  • GalaxyNote2GalaxyNote2 Member Posts: 10
    I'm thinking of playing an Elven Mage/Thief/Fighter and using a composite longbow seems cool, but reading there aren't any really good ones in BG2 is discouraging.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2014
    bob_veng said:

i agree, it would reduce the clutter of there being too many ammo types

but there are so many lootable arrows of piercing now (at least 300 i think), their availability would have to be reduced down to 100 tops; also the price should be increased.
    an idea: add more lootable arrows+3 to soa and remove most arrows of piercing from first-half soa (most to be obtainable in tob).

maybe they need more flavor too because they'd be so magical, a new name, a new item description.

it would all be a job for the modders however, no small amount of work required here.

Just saw your post.

I'm lost as to why the arrows of piercing would need to be reduced in volume or where you find them. They don't get +4 damage like any +4 weapon. They've also largely been in SoA for 10 years without them presenting any balance issues. The only thing my change would do is allow them to hit the occassional enemy that is otherwise immune to attacks made with a +2 or lower weapon. For archers its a big change in terms of making them more reliable characters, but from a perspective of the game at large its really a rather minor change.

@GalaxyNote2 Yea you are better off sticking to shortbows in BG2.