Skip to content

Coward wizards in the Underdark ( spoilers)

I am not sure if this is a new script or a bug. Both wizards in the underdark area (the one researching the portals and the one in the ambush group after leaving ush natha the first time) decided to run away instead of fight. I found them cowering in a corner of the gnome city, hitting the wall trying to get away and not reacting to me hitting them.

Are mages now supposed to get away from danger and that script was broken on those two or were they just buggy?

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited April 2014
    I assume this is the same issue that affects Haz (also a mage) when joining Bodhi. If it is, then it is already known about.

Edit: and to answer your question, I am quite certain that it is a bug.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    When Vithal tries to run away in my games, he would Timestop, Gate and Dimensior Door away. I hate it when that happens. That's why I always let him get near-death tanking elementals and set off some traps when he returns from the final portal.
  • Ploughed_JesterPloughed_Jester Member Posts: 93
    I prefer hiding, then having the mages Pierce and Breach in quick concert. Sneak attack for 90+. I prefer traps for the magic resistant drow and illithid.
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    Vithal run to the corner but when brought to near death a stoneskin contingency popped up and seemed to wake him. He did the sequence @bbear‌ has said above, which is quite cool. Will have to set traps next time :-)
    Zallanora from the Cowled Wizards (final battle w/ Cowled Wizards in the Amn city) also has this sequence. Also, she is capable of casting multiple Timestops.
    edited April 2014
    @bbear‌ Good to know. I am taking on them as soon as I get to Amn for their perfidy. Is it a very difficult challenge for a no-reload game?
    Lol, I bend all the rules in my game. The best strategy I found is cloudkill spamming. It works like this:

Round 1: 5.5 dmg (expected dmg)
    Round 2: 11 dmg (16.5 cumulative)
    Round 3: 16.5 dmg (33 dmg cumlative)
    Round 4: 22 dmg (55 dmg cumulative)
    Round 5: 27.5 dmg (83.5 dmg cumulative) -> dead (She has 80 hp)

This works 9/10 times. Sometimes you get unlucky and she manages to teleport away.
    @bbear‌ yes, i remember that lv1 run :-)

Spell turning/other spell defenses does not protect against cloudkill?
    No. Only thing is Protection from Poison and Magic Resistance iirc. It's not directly targeted.
    The green scroll or cavalier/monk/druid poison immunity protects against the status but not against poison damage.
    Well that should be fixed. That's like saying Protection from fire should only protect from dot fire or fireshield, but not fireball.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

Well that should be fixed. That's like saying Protection from fire should only protect from dot fire or fireshield, but not fireball.

Not necessarily. The poison status causes poison damage, and that's all the scroll offers immunity to - direct poison damage is different. I'm relatively certain it was left as is on purpose.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @jackjack is right, one can be immune to being poisoned for example with the green scroll, or as a Cavalier. So that character will be unaffected by spiders' poisonous attacks or arrows of biting.
    But the immunity doesn't extend to poison damage, which is like a form of elemental damage. So AoE spells that deal poison damage, such as Cloudkill may still hurt the protected character. I think even Stinking Clouds, which don't deal damage, can still affect a "protected" character.
    I believe there is only one item in the game that protects against poison damage (25%).

It's strange that Shadowkeeper doesnt list poison damage as an element.

Helm of the Rock
    edited April 2014
    @bbear‌ in BG2 there is the ring of gaxx and a pendant of poison inmunity that also work against poison damage. At least they make you inmune to cloudkill
    Ah, classic case of RAW vs RAI. Got it. Good to know, although I've always leaned towards RAI.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

Ah, classic case of RAW vs RAI. Got it. Good to know, although I've always leaned towards RAI.

Yeah one thing about CRPGs, we can't argue with the DM.
    D: